It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 241.htm
<< 238  239  240    242  243  244 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
First of all, we have to understand the wording in any statement, as has been pointed out, in the end it all reduces itself to a matter of semantics, that is how we have been conditioned by the media and by our peers, the words they have used instead of bringing peace , to me show a complete lack of true facts by them, they are repeating, if one has been following this thread since the beginning, there have been times when the outcome, the disaster has been steadily escalating, some of the opinions vented here for me weigh more than what the "experts" are babbling about.

Hopefully it is contained, but since there does not appear to be any roofing left on some of the reactors, and the spent fuel rods occupied that space, whatever they say means very little, this has gotten out of control, and it´ll be years before we come to grips, I´ll try to post later my wording analysis, it may not be much, but when they use words like, "appears", "looks like", "seems" or "unlikely" they are saying more than that.

Anyway, thanks to all of your inputs, I´ll be back later and comb the words and try to get my head around this awful stuff...

I for one dont trust them 100%

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

That's all the information I can find on it right now. The bbc haven't elaborated on it yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
FYI, Sara Palin is leaving Alaska to go overseas to think about her amazing presidential run. Clinton in France. Obama in Brazil. Does anyone have any other info about Big Dudes bugging out from North America?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm going to go ahead and post Mike's follow up as it contains yet more relevant analysis and adds to the previous point.

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thank you... I hadn't thought of the loose string anology. It makes sense and I'll have to look into it more. Thank you als for your comments about what I wrote the other day about the Emperor. You jogged my memory, in fact, because I wrote another piece about the Emperor's speech earlier today (about 16 hours ago -- it's now 3:45 am and I can't sleep), so I'll paste it in here. Again, it's only my take on things but if any think it's worth considering then it was worth writing it. Anyway, here it is:

I took another look at what the Emperor said in his unprecedented speech. Two things stood out for me. One was how he stated that all Japanese people will work together to help those who have suffered and to effect recovery.

There are several layers of meaning here, but not being Japanese myself I certainly don't claim to appreciate all of them. But as the Emperor was, on the surface, stating the obvious, his primary audience -- the Japanese -- would have immediately begun to consider what he was really saying.

One thing that stands out to me is that while Japan is accepting foreign help, this must not be seen by anyone (in Japan) as an admission of being unable to cope as a nation in the long term. Implicitly, this is also the Emperor's way of saying that there is no shame in accepting this help. It is temporary and it's necessary to accept it, just as they offer help to others in time of need. (The Japanese sent trained rescue workers to New Zealand last month, for example.)

I don't want to get too involved here, but from what I've learned from Japanese people, there is a very delicate balance between offering help, and at the same time allowing the ones who are in need of it to maintain "face" -- to keep their dignity. This is what I meant by saying there is no shame.

If this all seems rather confusing then don't worry. It is, if we only try to look at the surface. When any official speaks, it's necessary to look beyond the mere words. And when the Emperor gives a speech as he did, almost everything he says means a lot more than it appears.

The Emperor used the future tense -- all Japanese people will work together -- implying what is to happen as they go forward. Accepting help now is quite correct and may be done without loss of face, because the lives of the people are more important than anything. The Emperor has made that clear. But going forward, all Japanese people will work together.

This also sends a very polite message to foreign governments that their help, while gratefully accepted, will not be needed for long.

Now, I wouldn't want anyone to take that the wrong way. The Japanese people are deeply grateful for the aid they are receiving. But they will feel much better when they know they can move forward and do things on their own.

The second point I'd like to address is much more serious and already, we are seeing the results of it. Because in this case it's essential to have it word-for-word, I'll quote from one of the many transcripts of this section that are available online:

"I am deeply concerned about the nuclear situation, and hope it will be resolved," he said. "I hope things will take a turn for the better."

First point: "I am deeply concerned about the nuclear situation..." I cannot over-emphasize how crucial this is! If the Emperor is "concerned", then the situation is bad. But deeply concerned? Considering how the Emperor is the absolute essence of all that is Japanese, if he is deeply concerned then all his people should be as well.

But why is the Emperor deeply concerned? At the time he made this speech, we were hearing reassurances that everything was either under control or soon would be. But nothing is that simple. Here's why:

Second point: "...and (I) hope it will be resolved...I hope things will take a turn for the better."

The Emperor used "hope". Not just once, but twice. This is also of great importance. He made certain that no-one who was listening and taking in the message would miss the significance of that word.

Let me put it this way: if instead of "I hope" the Emperor had substituted a phrase like "I know" or "I have been assured" or even "It is my sincere belief" (with the latter, being a little more indirect, the more likely phrase), then people would have a reason to breathe a little more easily, because that would mean that the Emperor's advisors had assured him the situation was in hand and would not get worse.

Even if he had used a conditional form and said, "It is my sincere belief that the situation should soon be better," that would be a fair indicator of cautious optimism by the experts who advise the people who advise the Emperor.

But no, not even that. The Emperor used this unprecedented speech to let the Japanese people know that not even his best advisors could assure him this situation was being brought under control or even that it will be or should be soon. All the Emperor could tell them was that he hoped it would be, because at the present time, there was no resolution of this situation.

And I expect that was the signal for the diplomatic missions. This was what they needed to know: has the Emperor been informed that things are under control at these stricken nuclear power plants? No, he has not been so informed. He has not even been informed that they will be. His statements made that utterly clear. If he says "I hope", then it means "at the present time as I speak, nothing is certain and neither is the future".

And for the Emperor's people? It was also the signal for people in the potentially affected regions to evacuate with all speed. And according to news reports, they have been doing so. The evacuation numbers are growing.

And with what we can glean from the news reports, so are the problems with the reactors.

Mike
edit on 18/3/11 by JustMike because: typo

This page

Again, my hat is off to JustMike for a very clear and thought provoking point of view

Let's remember this when looking at reports and where they come from. The western news sources will relay information gleaned from eastern contacts in the area and there will be subtle nuances which will mostly not be conveyed.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Evening reports

JAIF - www.jaif.or.jp...
water temp. of used rods pool is increasing at reactor #5...

TEPCO - www.tepco.co.jp...

All 6 units of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station have been shut down.

Unit 1 (Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, the explosive sound and white smoke
were confirmed after the big quake occurred at 3:36PM Mar 12th. It was
assumed to be hydrogen explosion.
- We have been injecting sea water into the reactor pressure vessel.

Unit 2 (Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down and the level of reactor coolant had dropped
and the reactor pressure had increased because the Reactor Core
Isolation Cooling System stopped. Measures were taken to lower the
pressure within the Reactor Containment Vessel and to inject sea water
into the Reactor while carefully confirming safety. The level of reactor
coolant and the pressure of the Reactor resumed.
- At approximately 6:00AM on March 15, 2011, an abnormal noise began
emanating from nearby Pressure Suppression Chamber and the pressure
within this chamber decreased.
- We completed receiving electricity from the external transmission line
up to the auxiliary transformer. We are installing the power cable from
that transformer to the temporary power panel.

Unit 3 (Shut down)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, the explosive sound and white smoke
were confirmed at 11:01AM Mar 14th. It was assumed to be hydrogen
explosion.
- At 8:30AM on March 16th, fog like steam was confirmed arising from the
reactor building.
- At approximately 6:15AM on March 17th the pressure of the Suppression
Chamber has temporarily increased.
- We are working on receiving external power supply to Units 3 and 4.

Unit 4 (outage due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down. However, at approximately 6AM on March 15th.
We have confirmed the explosive sound and the sustained damage around
the 5th floor rooftop area of the Nuclear Reactor Building.
- On March 15th and 16th, we respectively confirmed the outbreak of fire
at the 4th floor of the northwestern part of the Nuclear Reactor
Building. We immediately reported this matter to the fire department and
the related authorities. TEPCO employees confirmed that each fire had
already died down by itself.
- At this moment, we do not consider any reactor coolant leakage inside
the reactor containment vessel happened.

Unit 5 (outage due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down and the sufficient level of reactor coolant
to ensure safety is maintained.
- At 5 AM, Mar 19th, we started the Residual Heat Removal System Pump (C )
in order to cool the spent fuel pool.

Unit 6 (outage due to regular inspection)
- Reactor has been shut down and the sufficient level of reactor coolant
to ensure safety is maintained.
- We are working on receiving external power supply to Units 5 and 6. We
completed the repair work on the emergency diesel generator (A).

Cooling of spent fuel pools
- In Unit 3, water discharge by Self-Defense Force's helicopters was
conducted from 9:48 AM in the morning on March 17th. Also water
discharge by the riot police's high-pressure water cannon trucks and
Self-Defense Force's fire engines was conducted from 7PM on March 17th
and finished at 8:09PM.
- In Unit 3, water discharge by Self-Defense Force's fire engines and US
army's fire engines was conducted from 2 PM and completed a quarter to
3 PM.
- After that, from 0:30 AM, Mar 19th, water discharge by Tokyo Fire
Department's Hyper Rescue was conducted and completed at 1:10 AM.
- We are considering further water discharge at Unit 3 and others subject
to the conditions of spent fuel pools.

Casualty
- 2 workers of cooperative firm were injured at the occurrence of the
earthquake, and were transported to the hospital.
- 1 TEPCO employee who was not able to stand by his own holding left chest
with his hand, was transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- 1 subcontract worker at the key earthquake-proof building was
unconscious and transported to the hospital by an ambulance.
- The radiation exposure of 1 TEPCO employee, who was working inside the
reactor building, exceeded 100mSv and he was transported to the hospital.
- 2 TEPCO employees felt bad during their operation in the central control
rooms of Unit 1 and 2 while wearing full masks, and were transferred to
Fukushima Daini Power Station for consultation with a medical advisor.
- 4 workers were injured and transported to the hospital after explosive
sound and white smoke were confirmed around the Unit 1.
- 11 workers were injured and transported to Fukushima Daini Nuclear Power
Station etc. after explosive sound and white smoke were confirmed around
the Unit 3.One of the workers was transported to the FUKUSHIMA Medical
University Hospital at 10:56AM
- Presence of 2 TEPCO employees at the site is not confirmed.

Others
- We measured radioactive materials (iodine etc.) inside of the nuclear
power station area (outdoor) by monitoring car and confirmed that
radioactive materials level is getting higher than ordinary level. As
listed below, we have determined that specific incidents stipulated in
article 15, clause 1 of Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear
Emergency Preparedness (Abnormal increase in radiation dose measured at
site boundary) have occurred.
·Determined at 4:17 PM Mar 12th (Around Monitoring Post 4 )
·Determined at 8:56 AM Mar 13th (Around Monitoring Post 4 )
·Determined at 2:15 PM Mar 13th (Around Monitoring Post 4 )
·Determined at 3:50 AM Mar 14th (Around Monitoring Post 6 )
·Determined at 4:15 AM Mar 14th (Around Monitoring Post 2 )
·Determined at 9:27 AM Mar 14th (Around Monitoring Post 3 )
·Determined at 9:37 PM Mar 14th (Around main entrance )
·Determined at 6:51 AM Mar 15th (Around main entrance )
·Determined at 8:11 AM Mar 15th (Around main entrance )
·Determined at 4:17 PM Mar 15th (Around main entrance )
·Determined at 11:05 PM Mar 15th (Around main entrance )
·Determined at 8:58 AM Mar 19th (Around MP5)
From now on, if the measured figure fluctuates and goes above and below
500 micro Sv/h, we deem that as the continuous same event and will not
regard that as a new specific incidents stipulated in article 15, clause
1 of the Act on Special Measures Concerning Nuclear Emergency
Preparedness (Abnormal increase in radiation dose measured at site
boundary) has occurred. In the interim, if we measure a manifestly
abnormal figure and it is evident that the event is not the continuous
same event, we will determine and notify.

- The national government has instructed evacuation for those local
residents within 20km radius of the periphery and evacuation to inside
for those residents from 20km to 30km radius of the periphery, because
it's possible that radioactive materials are discharged.
- At approximately 10AM on March 15th, we observed 400mSv/h at the inland
side of the Unit 3 reactor building and 100mSv/h at the inland side of
the Unit 4 reactor building.
- We checked the status of spent fuel in the common pool, and confirmed
that the water level secured. We are planning to conduct a detailed
inspection.
- We found no signs of abnormal situation for the casks by visual
observation during the patrol activity. A detailed inspection is under
preparation.
- At Units 5 and 6, in order to prevent hydrogen gas from accumulating
within the buildings, we have made three holes on the roof of the
reactor building for each unit
- We will continue to take all measures to ensure the safety and to
continue monitoring the surrounding environment around the Power Station.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
FYI, Sara Palin is leaving Alaska to go overseas to think about her amazing presidential run. Clinton in France. Obama in Brazil. Does anyone have any other info about Big Dudes bugging out from North America?

It looks like some 'big dudes' will be in the US:

WASHINGTON - Former presidents George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter will return to Washington to celebrate volunteer service.

Yeah this is not until Monday night, but if things are really gonna get bad, I don't think all will be well by Monday.

Source

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

Very sobering.

From the videos of the water being sprayed and the steam continually billowing out of the building that have been posted and from the updates it seems as though they're raining as much water as they possibly can and are rotating different teams through in order to minimize exposure times.

They indicate that they expect this radiation to emanate from the area and the only updates will occur for something either a)at a different location or b)they manage to gain control of the current situation only to have a subsequent event follow that can be deemed to be a separate and distinct event from the current one.

The readings are from inland, is that upwind?

Unit 3 looks absolutely devastated. The amount and arrangement of wreckage displays a tremendous energetic release and it sure as hell looks like the top of the reactor is exposed and is missing large plates from the upper containment dome. Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there. I sure hope so.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It looks like the Japanese have turned the corner, and are gaining ground against this disaster.

They are getting closer to sustainable levels of control over the situation, and may have avoided the worst.

I know, I know... It's not what many are ready to hear, I mean, all that thought, conjecture, speculation and willful/wishful acceptance of doom and gloom, end of the world, end of Japan stuff will make it difficult to ever believe that it isn't, wasn't and will be far worse than we are being told.

It's time for all of you to take a break from this, and learn to think more positive thoughts, to look to the future, and know that of all people in our world, no people are better equipped with spirit of conviction to rise above this than the Japanese are.

It is also time to divert your full attention to a new man-made disaster evolving in Africa.

Move all of your doom and gloom to the Libyan conflict threads.

Japan, is going to be okay now.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I'm thinking they received the 0.1Sv/hr exposure around Unit #2. As I understood things, they were going to restore power to Units #5 and #6 first, then to #2.

#5 and #6 have no serious problems.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I believe inland is upwind at this time, but the winds were expected to shift some time today?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Yeah, everything is fine, nothing to see here, move along folks. They poured water on the bad reactor.

No offense, but I think I'll keep monitoring here. Have fun watching us bomb people.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

With all due respect, this topic needs in depth coverage. We are not completely in the clear yet and this is a rather large incident.

Until the plants are 100% stable and we have figured out a way to make this never happen again this should be of large concern to everyone in the world.

Eyes need to be on nuclear power because in a situation like this it could affect the world.

Pred...
edit on 19-3-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
radnet

Fixed Monitor Location: SD: RAPID CITY
Measurement Start Date/Time: 03/19/2011 01:54:11 PM
Measurement End Date/Time: 03/19/2011 02:54:19 PM
Beta Gross Count Rate (CPM): 244
Gamma Energy Range 2 Gross(CPM): 2564
Gamma Energy Range 3 Gross(CPM): 1732
Gamma Energy Range 4 Gross(CPM): 512
Gamma Energy Range 5 Gross(CPM): 254
Gamma Energy Range 6 Gross(CPM): 146
Gamma Energy Range 7 Gross(CPM): 194
Gamma Energy Range 8 Gross(CPM): 97
Gamma Energy Range 9 Gross(CPM): 35
Gamma Energy Range 10 Gross(CPM): 38

cdxnode64.epa.gov...

Now these figures are still alligning so the 125 is a good rough indication of danger.
ie. Seattle reads 16 and we read: 16 in the kootneys on the black cat map and just fell from 21 to 12 on the
www.radiationnetwork.com...

This is high. And its still doing what that weather report said, go southeast then up north It should be in Canada by now though.

By the way, since 125 is the danger level, this means people will be getting sick so I'm trying to spare people and even save lives.

I know this isn't as bad as Japan, but its possibly from them, I do use that word due to the fact that I think that the radiations may have been high just before Japan, which some are saying online, and that supports Benjamin Fulford.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

No offense, but I think I'll keep monitoring here. Have fun watching us bomb people.

TheRedneck

That is a star worthy post.

Maybe in time, someone here will actually get the point of my post... Though, you came very close.

It's all good now.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well folks, after seeing this picture, I can't help but wonder if there is anything left there we can call "spent fuel rod pool"....explosion seems so huge to leave anything intact in there...I mean I dunno, just brain storming here..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

And, for a bit of perspective. The counts from Rapid City, March 1st - 18th.

cdxnode64.epa.gov...

edit on 3/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I have been watching NHK and caught something I had not heard before:

there were fires in the fuel rod pools

Edit: Did anyone else hear that blip? I wish it had been text as audio is more difficult to to cite.

One question I have refers to the post on the fuel rods being scattered, is the risk of criticality lessoned by the fact the fuel rods are further apart from each other?

edit on 19-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: corrected grammar to earlier edit

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Yeah, that's a point I had meant to address earlier, but with everything else going on I missed it.

First of all, I doubt those are spent fuel rods in the picture. The fuel rods are actually pretty fragile, being so long and thin. But if they are, that could be considered not-so-bad news. If they are separated from each other, there is less chance of having a critical mass, leading to a runaway meltdown. They could still melt down, but at a slower and more controlled rate since they are not in contact with each other.

The downside is that even a single spent fuel rod in close enough proximity can kill a human in minutes. That's why they keep them under water in a spent fuel containment compartment... to remove the heat, allowing them to be stacked, and to buffer any radiation produced.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I am guessing this is before they received the "background" calibration offset? It is at least nice to have a baseline line to go by, even if we need to start thinking x10.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, am I correct in presuming that there may be a small amount of radiation moving across the US, but in such low quantities as to be insignificant compared with background radiation?

That's the impression I am getting, and what I expected to see.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 238  239  240    242  243  244 >>

join