It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 235.htm
<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

kinda off topic, but it reminds me off the movie Idiocracy, i hate to say it but i, afraid we are headed in that direction

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Additionally, on prior days this week there were various reports coming in as to the status of the seawater pumping operation to keep the reactor cores as covered with water as possible. The media focus shifted to the spraying operations to keep the fuel storage tanks as full as possible - and now I can find no recent information as to the status of the reactor cores.

Does anyone know links to any recent news as to the percent that the reactor cores are covered with water? My concern is that with radiation levels rising at the plant, the workers have been unable to continue with these operations.

Watching NHK news yesterday www3.nhk.or.jp... I saw that they only seemed to spray for 10-20 minutes or less per truck, and the whole operation was over in less than an hour. They explained they could only spray for short shifts due to the radiation levels. This afternoon/evening, the only fresh report from NHK was that they have setup a single unmanned fire truck that is to spray reactor 3 for 7 hours. The fact that they don't have manned spraying going on in parallel seems to indicate to me that radiation levels have gone even higher and they can't handle even 10 minutes in the vicinity of the reactors.

There have been mixed/contradictory reports as to the new maximum radiation exposure they are allowing per worker - but taking the conservative assumption it is 100 millisieverts (the lower range of what was reported), this would mean that radiation levels might be between 300-600 millisieverts per hour in the vicinity of the reactors. These are extremely high levels, with a lethal dose in between 2-5 hours of exposure!

Considering this - how can they possibly maintain the seawater pumping operations into the reactor cores, which I'm assuming are fairly labor intensive and require manned operations.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

# W7VOA Japan gov't spokesman to brief reporters about radioactive farm products in abt 30 mins. #Fukushima 21 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA We expect to confirm reports of other contaminated produce in #Fukushima shortly. 24 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA #Japan gov't officials say radioactive spinach poses no "immediate" health threat. 26 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA Kyodo: Gov't official says spinach near nuke plant found with high radiation levels. 34 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

Here's a Kyodo News link for those tweets. (We don't want to be reminded again by the mods that we need to source and cite our news updates; Twitter doesn't count unless the tweet isn't claiming to be reporting news)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PhysicsAlive

They have upped the allowance to 250 milliservites per hour for this 'operation'

But regardless of that how do we know there are any operators left well enough to do what needs to be done

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
CCN International just broadcast on TV that the press conference that was just held released new pictures from INSIDE the reactor buildings! They said they'd get them up as soon as they could; I'm on a mad Google search to find them as soon as they drop!

ETA: she could have said "OF the inside" of the buildings----not sure now. Dawned on me that it could just be more grainy crappy photos from outside, pointed towards the inside.
edit on 19-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

They have also been showing a concrete pump truck

edit on 19-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: code mistake on a img

edit on 19-3-2011 by AlaskanDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by AlaskanDad

Yeah this seems like the first good idea they have had yet. The video of this looks like its actually goign to put a dent in this situation. It looks more like one of those construction concrete pump trucks than a firetruck though.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

From aerial temperature measurements, Defense Ministry estimates outer wall temps of reactors 1-4 are below 100 C at the Fukushima N-plant.

Good news.

W7VOA Japan gov't spokesman: Milk, spinach & other produce found with radiation above normal levels. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Not good news.

This twitter is from Steve Herman, a Voice of America journalist in Asia.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Sat Mar 19 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

From aerial temperature measurements, Defense Ministry estimates outer wall temps of reactors 1-4 are below 100 C at the Fukushima N-plant.

Good news.

W7VOA Japan gov't spokesman: Milk, spinach & other produce found with radiation above normal levels. 3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Not good news.

This twitter is from Steve Herman, a Voice of America journalist in Asia.
edit on 19-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

And here is the link for the Twitter account, and the link to the Kyodo headline that the tweet got the news from.

(Seriously, man, we're not supposed to be sourcing Tweets for news updates-----even if you provide the link to the tweet. We're supposed to be sourcing news articles, or at the very least, breaking news headlines from news sites like Kyodo. You can cite Kyodo's website for a breaking headline that doesn't have a specific article for it yet. Steve Herman is just getting this from Kyodo, so let's source Kyodo. This isn't like Egypt where Twitter was the best source for news; in this situation, Twitter is the WORST source for news.)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Absolutely predator.

Nature provides all the energy we need naturally. It burns me up that people claim we are running out of energy, or water...

Build floating energy stations harnessing wind and tidal forces and desalinate the water at the same time. We're not in any danger of running out of energy or water. What we are in danger of is letting corporate and globalist conspirators enslaving us in their scheme of global domination.

They push toxic foods like GMO's and toxic fuels like petroleum and nuclear because they can control and regulate these more easily plus it makes their goals of depopulation easier.

If we all set up solar, wind, and hydro solutions for our homes we wouldn't be beholding to them and paying out a monthly check.

If we grew our own food locally and shopped locally we would destroy their global markets which equal global control. If we printed our own money without buying it at interest from central banks we would prosper. Nationalism, state over federal control, and local markets are are best weapons against globalists.

The more power is centralized the more evil can be perpetuated easier. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and history has illustrated this hundreds of times over. A global government could perpetuate evils on a scale undreamed or unseen to date. The more it is decentralized the more control you and I have.

We need to stand up and stop this insanity while there is still a chance. We can do it. We must!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by Destinyone

Well, they do sort of look like this now, don't they?

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

If they seem to be uniform length... it's possible. Which building is that?

Whatever it is doesn't seem to be smoking or glowing hot. Not sure what to make of those.

Any more feedback on this? They look suspiciously like fuel rods scattered about, not gathered neatly in a pool.... what would be the ramifications of this?...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Wertwog because: another idea added

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Ever since this began I've been thinking of a old Nike commercial with Dennis Hopper. I haven't been able to shake it out of my head either. Anyway, the answer to your question is "Bad things, man."

Then again, maybe I'm the wrong person to be answering this, as I've lost pretty much all hope in life.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Regarding the issue of entombing the plant, one of my FB contacts explained this to me (his words, not mine) :

In Japan the plant is near the coast and the water table is very close to the surface of the ground. If they cover over the top with sand and lead and concrete they will keep the radiation out of the... air as they did at Chernobyl, but unless they seal the bottom, which is basically impossible the radioactive material will almost certainly leech down into the water table and be dispersed into the sea. The only way I see to prevent that would be to construct a massive caisson around the perimeter of the plant to a depth far below the coastal water table forming a damn all the way around the sides as well as a cover over the top. I don't know if that is really feasible. But I think they will have to address that issue in the long run because that plant is basically on the beach.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
reply to post by Wertwog

Ever since this began I've been thinking of a old Nike commercial with Dennis Hopper. I haven't been able to shake it out of my head either. Anyway, the answer to your question is "Bad things, man."

Then again, maybe I'm the wrong person to be answering this, as I've lost pretty much all hope in life.

OMG seriously dude that made me laugh. We are in for a WORLD of hurtin'.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
Regarding the issue of entombing the plant, one of my FB contacts explained this to me (his words, not mine) :

In Japan the plant is near the coast and the water table is very close to the surface of the ground. If they cover over the top with sand and lead and concrete they will keep the radiation out of the... air as they did at Chernobyl, but unless they seal the bottom, which is basically impossible the radioactive material will almost certainly leech down into the water table and be dispersed into the sea. The only way I see to prevent that would be to construct a massive caisson around the perimeter of the plant to a depth far below the coastal water table forming a damn all the way around the sides as well as a cover over the top. I don't know if that is really feasible. But I think they will have to address that issue in the long run because that plant is basically on the beach.

And make this "caisson" radiation, typhoon, seismic and tsunami proof!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I just emailed a copy of that to the Telegraph.co.uk and asked them
what they think it might be.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirtycrickrat

why dont we have expierimental geo/thermal plants in volcano/lava fields? molten lava seems like it would boil steam good to power a turbine

im no scientist though

It has been done... And imagine the seismic activity it produces....
edit on 19-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Wertwog

I just emailed a copy of that to the Telegraph.co.uk and asked them
what they think it might be.

Interesting huh? If they are fuel rods scattered around like that then... would they be able to achieve criticality?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by harrytuttle
reply to post by Destinyone

Well, they do sort of look like this now, don't they?

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

If they seem to be uniform length... it's possible. Which building is that?

Whatever it is doesn't seem to be smoking or glowing hot. Not sure what to make of those.

Any more feedback on this? They look suspiciously like fuel rods scattered about, not gathered neatly in a pool.... what would be the ramifications of this?...
edit on 19-3-2011 by Wertwog because: another idea added

No can't be it is a beautiful spring day in Japan and everything is perfect..... Actually I think you may be right... Good catch!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

I am not sure about that..going to try and do research now...brain isn't workin real good at this time of day...but I can promise you...I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those things....

and makes you wonder how spraying all that water in the pool is going to keep those things cool doesn't it??

top topics

<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join