It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 234.htm
<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Originally posted by Vitchilo
After all, might be a new explosion at reactor 2... we'll see if it's real.

Contradicting info... might be old news or might be a new explosion.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Any confirmation on that Vitchilo? I can't seem to find anything on it. Perhaps it's a false alarm.

Yeah since it's nowhere else, it's probably Fox News BS or old news passed as new news.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

if they were to intomb it how would the design have to be modified from the chernobil incident difrences in size and the fact that it would have to be rated for power full quakes otherwise couldnt it just reopen at a later date?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I don't recall it being linked but it's definitely been talked about in this thread, but I'd like to provide a link to some information about corium.

I'd followed it from a post by Chakotay in another thread and found it highly informative on understanding the time line of a meltdown and the things to expect at the various stages. It appears the conclusions of this discussion are pretty much in lock step with what would happen going back even to the initial hydrogen explosion of the reactors. In addition I recall it giving some insight on why an early attempt to concrete the reactors down would be ill advised due to allowing the corium if it exist in a substantial amount to retain its heat and continue to literally melt down into lower structure area and eventually into the ground. It gave rates also at which this could happen.

Honestly the wiki on corium gave me the understanding to understand much of this threads discussion and interpret for myself what is being reported in the news updates.

Nothing new here but definitely a resource for us building our amateur nuclear physicist toolkit.

Soul

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Why am I getting this feeling that something big is going to happen tomorrow on this?
Nothing at all scientific, just a hunch that has been bothering me for a while now... might be indigestion...

TheRedneck

Oh great egg on those Super Moon people.. go ahead

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Why am I getting this feeling that something big is going to happen tomorrow on this?
Nothing at all scientific, just a hunch that has been bothering me for a while now... might be indigestion...

TheRedneck

Oh great egg on those Super Moon people.. go ahead

LOL, I find this hillarious right now...but I think I should hold my tongue until we wait and see..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

reply to post by Mianeye

So far as anyone knows, there is no maximum temperature, unless you count the vaporization temperature of uranium dioxide... which my chemistry book doesn't list.... I assume it is pretty high. It would depend on how much fuel is there to react, since the half-life property of uranium decrees that half of whatever is available will decay in a certain time frame, and mass increases this through increased chain reaction.

Realistically, I'd say there is no maximum temperature that we can imagine.

TheRedneck

Like,say the sun.pretty hot.
Just hope it doesn't melt through the crust.

In reallity this probably going to go down as the worst human caused disaster in
our long history.And don't say it's natures fault,cause nature didn't build those
nuclear reactors.
Has anyone mentioned critical mass?

What happens at critical mass.BOOM

Guess I'm wrong here,just another nutcase.
sorry to interrupt.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Yeah, the markets are closed!!!

I think the big thing will be some TRUTH, just a tiny bit, BUT I BET it's going to be the worse news yet.

Just my 2 cents!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Workers Miss Deadline to Reconnect Power at Japan Nuclear Plant

Looks like they missed their 'deadline' (sigh). I think the title of the article should read 'restore' instead of 'reconnect' as we were already told early Friday that the power line was connected.

The article says that they'll be attempting to restore power later today (Saturday).
edit on 19-3-2011 by dvrt10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I've been following this thread since the beginning and the information and the fact you have kept it going 24 hours a day is so impressive, massive respect to you all!

I want to ask a couple of questions, if it's stupid then just ignore it or delete it!

With regards to entombment, I've worked in construction, I have seen how concrete, well cement, can burn and heat up. Would this not make things even more dangerous?? Doesn't chernobyl still have high readings around it which could be caused by the concrete heating up during the day?

Also, concrete needs shuttering or formwork to contain it, I can't see how it could be contained by just dropping it on the site and wouldn't just dropping a whole load of concrete just cause more damage!!??

just seen soulwarriors post!
edit on 19/3/11 by MissTiger because: soulwarrior

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MissTiger

I know next to nothing about concrete..but from what I remember the tomb was supposed to last 50 years....and It needs to be replaced (or is beings replaced ) now because of the heat...

In the case of chernobyl I belive the helicopter drops were supported afterwards by alot of brave men digging in tunnels underneath to help shore things up and supprt the concrete..

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I want to post this in this thread as well because it pertains to it as well...

If they bury the plant then we have learned nothing in 26 years.

To resort to the same conclusion as people did in 1986 is pathetic. What's the point of all this damn technology if it cannot help us when we need it.

I am embarrassed of the scientific community that no other options have been thought of in the last 26 years when a situation like this arises.

Bury the plant? Last ditch effort because we are not expanding science like we once were.

We need to invest money in this industry if it continues, which it will, as this is cannot happen again.

All the old plants should be updated to meet much higher requirements than we could think about, I don't care if the sky was falling these reactors need to withstand anything. If we cannot make them foolproof they should not be functioning, if it takes too much money to make them all safe then tough sh!t, shut them down.

Japan as an island should be harnessing tidal energy, think about the possibilities, they are endless. They could be a pioneer of this technology.

I am embarrassed that it has come to bury the plant. Another pathetic band aid of our ignorance...

Pred...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Has anyone bothered asking the question why im having trouble finding Russian coverage of the disaster?

You would think from first hand experience they would know better than anyone how to scale the damage

Is it possible that Russia knows whats going on?

Are we getting blocked from Russian reports?

Or do they want no part of it after already suffering from their own nuclear disaster?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
its because we are living under the umbrella corporation.

you know.... like the resident evil movie?

the umbrella that catches everything, all the rain, so you dont get wet. and even if its not raining it can still be used as shade from the sun. if you know what i mean.

when are we going to stop being hypnotized?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Japan as an island should be harnessing tidal energy, think about the possibilities, they are endless. They could be a pioneer of this technology.

I am embarrassed that it has come to bury the plant. Another pathetic band aid of our ignorance...

Pred...

Imagine somehow harnessing tidal energy from the marianas trench?
or geo/thermo from valcanoes or ocean plate subduction zones?

why dont we have expierimental geo/thermal plants in volcano/lava fields? molten lava seems like it would boil steam good to power a turbine

im no scientist though

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Thank you for verbalizing the same feelings I have about the situation. This was an excellent post!

We have become, as a race, much more sophisticated at demonstrating our ignorance and our UTTER INABILITY to learn from our past mistakes.

I fear it will be technological complexity that will be the death of us all...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dirtycrickrat

I don't know but I'm guessing the answer has more to do with business than science. If nuclear energy is substituted with some other form of energy, businesses are going to be hurt and people will lose lots of money. Unfortunately, this is the reality of our world.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
One thing that I find disturbing - the NHK TV stream seems to have gone into an automated infinite loop where they have been playing the same recorded content over and over again now for hours.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Previous nights this week (daytime in Japan) there has been interesting footage including live reports from around the country, and live video of the plant from a helicopter "safely" hovering about 30km away.

Additionally, there seem to be almost no new news reports over the past 8+ hours of the situation.

It's 3:42pm in Japan right now - you would think this would be the time of day when there would be lots of news coverage???

Is there a media blackout going on?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

You are spot on with your post.

We will never beable to build anything to contain nature so we should use nature to our advantage! But why don't we!!??

I think we all know the answer to that!

Thanks Okiecowboy... so more lives would be lost trying to entomb it, something that size would need formwork built on site and probably a jelly mould so as not to cause more damage. Chernobyl should have stood as a monument as to what we shouldn't do again

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

The Chernobyl tomb was deigned to last 20 years, but has been in place 25. That's even worse, IMO----we lost interest and concern so quickly in such a relatively short time, when the entire globe should have been interested in a solution and replacement when the tomb still had useful years left. Instead, we're 5 years past its due date, and no one really seems to care except the countries that immediately surround it, maybe. I know they're planning on replacing it and raising money for it......but had you heard about that effort before this thread?

I hadn't. And that scares me----how quickly will we stop caring about and minimize this situation, only to repeat it again in another 20 years? Except that time, judging by the level of escalation each time this happens, it will be the end. For everyone.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

# W7VOA Japan gov't spokesman to brief reporters about radioactive farm products in abt 30 mins. #Fukushima 21 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA We expect to confirm reports of other contaminated produce in #Fukushima shortly. 24 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA #Japan gov't officials say radioactive spinach poses no "immediate" health threat. 26 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

# Steve Herman W7VOA Kyodo: Gov't official says spinach near nuke plant found with high radiation levels. 34 minutes ago via ÜberSocial

new topics

top topics

<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join