It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 229.htm
<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Or you know... do the freaking nuclear reactors UNDERGROUND...with a big concrete/steel/DU container around it so if it goes bad, you can just close the top, and boom, it's over.

But eh, that would probably cost dozens of billions for each reactors... and no way they want that cost.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Guess this is the first "field test" for that.
I hope it works.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Someone asked for a link....here is one. Also lists all negative side effects.

Frequently Asked Questions on Potassium Iodide (KI)

www.fda.gov...
edit on 18-3-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Oh dear, yes I'm familiar with that page. You might want to read it. It lists a bunch of ways of treating waste to make it safer to store. It mentions one method that affects the half life of waste; transmutation. Transmutation is a nifty idea and I admit that my statement that we can't change the radioactivity of waste was wrong. But, it is not currently viable for a few reasons(way too expensive for one), it has absolutely no baring on the current subject and certainly has nothing to do with your idea of blowing up the reactors with nuclear bombs.

I'm cluttering this thread with crap. Sorry. Why is there always someone who wants to "Nuke" things.

edit on 18-3-2011 by mrwiffler because: brain

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

messpunkt is measuring point,and when explosion happened on reactor four,
it seems to peak at 12000 mico sev/per hour?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Actually, just because something is "underground" doesn't mean it won't have any lasting effects.
In particular, effects on "ground water" could poison water-supplies, or leach out into the oceans.
A big debate is still underway (and probably never will really be settled) about the disposal facility being built in Nevada, because of water systems around the area.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
reply to post by Michelle129th

Why you need the link ?..it's stupid to consume those pills before you read what are their purpose

Did you even read the post of zorgon's before you threw in your 2 cents? Here it is:

The problem with that is you better BE VERY SURE your version is the truth before you go on a grassroots campaign because in THIS case spreading false info based merely on a belief is actually worse that what 'they' are doing. People are already being hospitalized because of sodium iodide pills with all the scare tactics. I will BET you that more people will get sick or die from those pills than those form any radiation. Considering your misinterpretation of Mox fuel use, I would be more catious

He is upset at the previous poster (Unity 99) for posting information based on her beliefs...but then goes on to state that "people are being hospitalized because of sodium iodide pills...." and I wondered if that was an actual fact, or his BELIEF that he is posting (because I can find nothing on it...although I'm not a great researcher I will admit). For if it's not an actual documented fact, and just his opinion, then he is just as much to blame for fear mongering as the poster he is angry about.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks for the post and link Zorgon, that's put my mind at ease more than anything else i've managed to find. My remaining worry about the situation is the fuel rod pools - do you know if there's any chance of them regaining criticality ?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwiffler

But is it not true that heat speeds up atomic activities?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krzyzmo
reply to post by harrytuttle

Exactly. your thoughts???

Well, they certainly look very straight - not bent like the structural beams - and I'm sure as hell they aren't wooden 2x4's!!

Problem is I have NO IDEA what nuclear fuel rods look like. I really can't say one way or the other.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
reply to post by Vitchilo

Actually, just because something is "underground" doesn't mean it won't have any lasting effects.
In particular, effects on "ground water" could poison water-supplies, or leach out into the oceans.

Yeah I know... but they are building such a big containment in Denmark...but it's for nuclear waste.

A documentary about it is...Into Eternity... it's about the project named Onkalo, building an underground storage area for spent nuclear fuel rods that is aimed to last 100 000 years...

Every country which uses nuclear energy should do that... and build those facilities in solid rock with no water underground with no big earthquake history. Keeping nuclear fuel rods near nuclear power plants is just insanity.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

If simply heating radioactive isotopes would reduce radiation don't you think we'd be doing it? Doesn't work.

Can we take this discussion to an appropriate thread?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
What is the current radiation level of Chernobyl?
The P.M. of Japans spokesperson just reported on CNN that the readings are not that high at all.
What is everyone so worried about?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Contamination hasn't spread beyond 30km radius: US

Radiation levels around the country as of 5pm yesterday. (map labeled in Japanese)

Moody's has downgraded TEPCO two ranks from Aa2 to A1.

IAEA: First measurements in Tokyo by the Agency's radiation monitoring team show no indication of Iodine-131 or Cesium-137.

Yomiuri Shimbun on nuke crisis: "Despite incredible efforts being made, they do not appear to be turning the situation around."

Yomiuri Shimbun being a big Japanese newspaper.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

Originally posted by Krzyzmo
reply to post by harrytuttle

Exactly. your thoughts???

Well, they certainly look very straight - not bent like the structural beams - and I'm sure as hell they aren't wooden 2x4's!!

Problem is I have NO IDEA what nuclear fuel rods look like. I really can't say one way or the other.

Link to many photos of Japan Nuclear fuel rods.

www.google.com...,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8wqETbb4AZSctweRqoixBA&sqi=2&ved =0CDMQsAQ&q=photo%20of%20japan%20nuclear%20fuel%20rods&tbs=isch:1&biw=1280&bih=584

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Those profiteers need to go to jail ..and common people will never learn ...eating that pills for lunch

Well perhaps its a good thing that supplies ran out
but seriously, I never thought I would see Americans turn into such a fear stricken populace.

Atomic Energy Commision urges people to hold off on taking potassium iodide

Shieh said iodine tablets would only be worth taking if radiation levels in the environment rose to 100 millisieverts.

"Currently, local residents don't need to take the iodine tablets at all. If they do, there could be harmful side effects," he said.

focustaiwan.tw...

#Potassium iodide is only effective for 24 hours, so taking it now won't protect you against this possibility. If you have KI, do not take it unless and until you are advised to do so by emergency officials.

#Potassium iodide only protects you from radiation poisoning for radioactive iodine isotopes. It is ineffective against other forms of radiation. Radioactive iodine is only one of the threats posed by a damaged nuclear facility.

#The medication doesn't offer a significant benefit to people over the age of 40. For younger people, the only effect of radiation poisoning it protects against is thyroid cancer. Meanwhile, taking KI may make you sick; too much iodine is harmful.

chemistry.about.com...

Toxicity Symptoms

What are toxicity symptoms for iodine?

Accidental overdose of iodine from medications or supplements in amounts exceeding one gram may cause burning in the mouth, throat and stomach and/or abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dirarrhea, weak pulse, and coma.

www.whfoods.com...

Iodine poisoning
URL of this page: www.nlm.nih.gov...
Printer-friendly versionEmail this page to a friendShare

Iodine is a naturally occuring chemical. Small amounts are needed for good health. However, large doses can cause harm. Children are especially sensitive to the effects of iodine.

NOTE: Iodine is found in certain foods. However, there is normally not enough iodine in foods to harm the body. This article focusses on poisoning from exposure to non-food items that contain iodine.

This is for information only and not for use in the treatment or management of an actual poison exposure. If you have an exposure, you should call your local emergency number (such as 911) or the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Symptoms

* Abdominal pain
* Coughing
* Delirium
* Diarrhea
* Fever
* Metallic taste in mouth
* Mouth and throat pain
* No urine output
* Seizures
* Shock
* Shortness of breath
* Stupor
* Thirst
* Vomiting

www.nlm.nih.gov...

Hope that's enough links on taking Iodide tablets

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
I am not sure but is the news being distributed differently depending on which nation you belong to?

In Norway we know this for a fact:

"Naoto Kan" denied the workers to leave the power plant. But that foreign media report that the worker are voluntary doing this dangerous work by their own free will, and portraying them as being heroes?

This is not the case by Norwagian media. In Norway its portrayed as a death sentence.

From what I heard on our news in HK, out of the initial 50 workers, only 20 were voluntary. The other 30 were appointed the job, and they "accepted" their fate. It is now believed the number of workers there increased to about 200.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwiffler

Well... Not decrease radiation. More appropriately, make it quickly lose all radioactivity by spending it into Lead form. So there would technically be more, but so fast that it would not spread anywhere. All parts would become Lead and other null materials.

But yes, I will add it to the other threat later.

Thanks for the talk.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th
Do you happen to have a link on that? I googled it a few different ways and find nothing at all to say that is true.
Sure just posted a bunch a few posts back but just google 'iodine poisoning'. Helps to know what you are googling when you look for info. Beside without having a gieger counter and knowing how to use it, since the pills are only good for 24 hours, how will you know WHEN you need to take them? And how will you know when the radiation actually contains radioactive iodine?

I guess you could just pop one a day and hope you don't get sick, or wait for the government to issue the call that you need them

we should all post links to reliable sources before making any outrageous claims that are based in opinion and not facts.

'post links to reliable sources" really?
I wouldn't know about that..

Which "outrageous claim" did I make? I thought I said I was willing to bet it would happen. So wanna put any money on that?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Well, they do sort of look like this now, don't they?

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join