It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 227.htm
<< 224  225  226    228  229  230 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
enenews.com...

Small detection, according to them, as much as two days ago. Hmmm.. Well Wed night, I had the metallic then chlorine pool scent in my car.

The background rads on the counter usually showed 9-12 say steady for a couple days, but yesterday, in waves it was 7-22, or 9-20 roughly constantly, which I suspected since, this is tripling, meant particle fallout.

But never mind that, go out and enjoy the school playground with your kids, its spring break here for 2 weeks by the way, and shop until you drop.

And if that chain reaction happens, tell everyone you love them.

edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

This is true, and I think I will bring it there. But it's more like speeding up the rate of radioactive decay until it becomes lead. Eliminating the radioactive entity all together.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EnhancedInterrogator

How about immediately shut-down any active plant that is near a fault line?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Safety and Security of Commercial Spent Nuclear Fuel Storage: Public Report, authored by a National Research Council committee charged by Congress to investigate potential terrorist attacks on SNF storage facilities.

The above link is a pdf of the executive summary of the public version of a classified report. The report states that it provides an accurate summary of the classified report, but that some sensitive information that might be exploited by terrorists is redacted. Only the executive summary can be downloaded for free, but the full text of the public report can be read online here.

Three of the report's findings might be particularly relevant here.

Finding 3B: The committee finds that, under some conditions, a terrorist attack that partially or completely drained a spent fuel pool could lead to a propagating zirconium cladding fire and the release of large quantities of radioactive materials to the environment.

Finding 3C: It appears to be feasible to reduce the likelihood of a zirconium cladding fire following a loss-of-pool-coolant event using readily implemented measures.

Finding 3D: The potential vulnerabilities of spent fuel pools to terrorist attacks are plant-design specific.

Anyone with expertise in the area want to take a look and report?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

What I find scary in that new photograph is that there is not anymore any steam coming out from reactor #3. Probably because there isn't one drop of water left in there...

Photo

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
reply to post by Imperium Americana

By comparing iron oxide to zirconium dioxide, I would say you are comparing apples to oranges.
Rust obviously is a degredation whereas I'm willing to bet that zirconium dioxide doesn't powder and flake off the rods like rust powders and flakes off of rebar. Can you please provide reference that this substance is in any way worse than the original zircaloy?
And yes I'll agree copper does it as well.

www.springerlink.com...

That article suggests oxide hardening in nickel.

Just because a few things do it doesn't mean that they all do it.
edit on 18-3-2011 by TheLastStand because: (no reason given)

It is a chemical reaction between the base metal and the O2 in the atmosphere. Obviously iron oxide is more agressive than say titanium oxide, but are you suggesting aluminum oxide increases the thermal resistance and mechs? How about Ti? I mean come on what are you suggesting that a few nanos of Zr oxide is like some super magical armor?
Fact of the matter is conditions in the ponds AND the CV is sufficient, even excluding HSE & SSC, to suffer a complete failure of the Alloy to contain the U inside.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

No. As a few have pointed out this is a very, very bad idea. You're just going to spread radioactive materials all over the place. And vaporising nuclear elements does in no way decrease their radioactivity. If it did we would not have a problem with nuclear waste.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Yeah i see what your saying, but so far all the information i have read and seen on this site and others has me at the conclusion that the radiation is not that bad. I'm not saying that this isn't a serious situationand that it CAN be life threatening, but i think that most people are just arm chair quarterbacking. None of us are there, none of us know all the details and the exact specifics of the conditions of the plants. I tend to be overly optimistic about things and this might be my downfall but i think they are doing all they can to get this situation under control. And if TSHTF scenario plays out I will be the first to admit i was wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
JAPAN's NISA
UPDATE: March 18th, 2011

15:55 TEPCO reported to NISA Accidents and Failures with regard to Fukushima Dai-ichi Unit 1,2,3&4 (Leakage of the radioactive materials inside of the reactor building to non-controlled area) pursuant to the Paragraph 3, the Article 62 of the Nuclear

www.nisa.meti.go.jp...
www.nisa.meti.go.jp...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwiffler

This is true. However, I'm not exactly sure if blowing up waste would be a economical form of disposal.

Point is this. heat accelerates. Cold slows down. How hot does it have to be to make the acceleration very fast.

Radioactivity would not be fully gone. The bomb will leave stuff behind. Question is, how much would be there?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
8:12 PM EDT - Our latest info is that it's still unclear whether the pumps inside will work, and there are also fears of the electricity shorting and causing another explosion.

-Reuters

Hopefully they don't short out. I would think if the spent fuel pools were dry wouldn't a fire ensue with lots more smoke? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Originally posted by RickyD
Will the amount they have dumped on the reactors and let wash into the ocean affect it horribly or will it be too dispersed?

There are approximately 187,189,915,062,857,142,857 gallons of water in the Pacific. I think dispersion should take care of most of it but I'm sure it all depends on currents & how the radioactive water is broken up.
edit on 18-3-2011 by ethancoop because: formatting issue I can't seem to solve

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Anyone who listens to that succubus (Ann Coulter) and believes her, well they almost deserve what they get... After all the lies she's told over the years, after all she's done... if people can't figure out she's an evil vulture, it's their own fault.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
enenews.com...

Small detection, according to them, as much as two days ago. Hmmm.. Well Wed night, I had the metallic then chlorine pool scent in my car.

Any strange smells you've experienced are not due to high radiation levels. I'm certain that any educated person you ask, either on this thread or elsewhere, will confirm that. It's good to be prepared, but it's not good to be paranoid.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

Thank you for a great read..
It just goes to show how bad things are here in the U.S. regarding that problem

I linked to some good reports along those lines in a post i made back on page 110.. you should check it out

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

You don't need to blow things up with nuclear weapons to vaporise them. There are quite economical methods of heating materials to their vaporisation point. The thing is it will do diddly squat. The reason we bury waste is because we can't decrease it's radioactivity.

edit on 18-3-2011 by mrwiffler because: brain

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hear this mentioned on CNN, so I Google'd around and found it ...

'We're Not Running Away': Blog Plea From Japanese Nuclear Worker

The blog has seen been taken down, allegedly by the worker herself, because "'I am very sorry, but I have locked the post as it was being used in a way I had not intended it to be".

Here are some snippet's:

“As a worker at Tepco and a member of the Fukushima No. 2 reactor team, I was dealing with the crisis at the scene until yesterday (Monday).”

“In the midst of the tsunami alarm (last Friday), at 3am in the night when we couldn't even see where we going, we carried on working to restore the reactors from where we were, right by the sea, with the realization that this could be certain death,” she said.

“The machine that cools the reactor is just by the ocean, and it was wrecked by the tsunami. Everyone worked desperately to try and restore it. Fighting fatigue and empty stomachs, we dragged ourselves back to work.

“There are many who haven”t gotten in touch with their family members, but are facing the present situation and working hard.”

“Please remember that. I want this message to reach even just one more person. Everyone at the power plant is battling on, without running away.

PS: I couldn't find any references to her posting anything after closing the blog. I hope she (and others) are all right. Although, I suspect several are already fatally exposed.

edit on 2011-3-18 by EnhancedInterrogator because: added postscript.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Ok, call me crazy but I am going to go with the media being used to bend the truth on this one. I feel this may be important so if some one could look. I am suggesting photo shop from TPTB..

In this picture I was looking at the damage of the number three reactor building.

I got my proper orientation in my head and was comparing this photo with the zoomed in damage photo. I was interested in the upper left hand portion of reactor number three building in the photo, to the left of the arrow. I was inspecting the roof truss system and surrounding structure. (From the original zoom it looks like road or "yard" above the building). I zoomed in pretty close but not to close, because of pixelation...lol..I do not know what the zoom range it was in. I could check again if needed.

What I thought was strange, is the shadows of the wall to the left, and the area directly right of this wall. I know it is a bunch of wreckage, but focus on the roof trusses and the ground. There is no shadows in this section of roof. It is also more blurry(way more blurry to me) than the rest of the photo when you scroll around.

When I noticed this I read some of the article and it said notice "the steam is no longer visible". The crazy thing is, this blurry spot I am talking about is right where the steam is coming from in this photo.

Look real closely, I think that we are being lied to. This is a major developement to me here. I think I may have found the proof.

I cannot sound too crazy here, people have been claiming twisted facts and falsification by the media the whole time. I think there is something with this because I just sat and stared at the photo for 5 minutes or so with the girlfriend talking to me. She gor upset because I was not listening to her. Please I am shaking right now and I hope the men in black don't come get me.

I am aware of pixelation and such hoax cabable anomolies. But this is really unnerving to me.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Can this be some of the missing spent rods?

At ten seconds of the video, those straight rods are much thicker than the steel rebar from the concrete, look like they may be spent fuel rods lying in the open! The observation compliments of What really happened.com

direct link to the video: The Telegraph

edit on 18-3-2011 by Krzyzmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Krzyzmo

reply to post by liejunkie01

Ok i'll say it.... how strange you both post the same picture within a few seconds of each other ! freaky

new topics

top topics

<< 224  225  226    228  229  230 >>

join