It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 216.htm
<< 213  214  215    217  218  219 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Close-up video of Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant

The 1:33 clip shows a close-up view of the damaged nuclear power plant, which has recently made front-page news across the world. The camera zooms in on massacred reactor buildings and downed lines, showing incredible devastation within certain structures. In several frames, you can see smoke billowing in front of the camera and also seeping out of certain buildings.www.digitaljournal.com...

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Wow.
I got up this morning to CNN reporting about Libya, almost exclusively..
They are presenting a few human interest stories about Japan.
Why is this all of a sudden being under-reported? They are trying to say that this Japan nuclear accident is on a par with 3 Mile Island. Bull@&%$
I was around during 3 Mile Island. From what I coud remember there were no explosions or copters fying overhead dumping water on the reactors..
What the @&%$ is going on here

I hate MSM...please you guys at ATS keep us informed...something's up and I smell a NEWS BLACKOUT

edit on 18-3-2011 by PaganArchangel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I really do hate to say this, but I think today will see the whole fantasy of Tepco, shred like a old thin veil.

It also makes me wonder, just who will end up wearing those 2,000 top rated radiation shield suits that were donated to them today, by the Radiation Shield Technologies Co. in Fl.

Time for the World Calvary to ride in...

Des

I saw those suits on the news earlier -- they were interviewing the president of the company. Few interesting points came out during the interview: none of the nuclear plants in the US have purchased those suits, he claimed that he was donating 200 (not 2,000) to the crisis in Japan, and he claimed that the suits were made of a "liquid metal nano material."

Liquid...metal...nano...material. Hmmmm....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Unity_99

The food will not be harmed. Unless you eat Japanese shark whale and dolphin, two of which are illegal.

There are only 4 reactors there. In your panic, you have failed to learn the truth.

The area is not like the end of the world. The situation is already stabilizing. And by stabilizing I do not mean all is well. I mean it will go on for weeks, but it will be under control.

The final proof will be in the trees. if the trees die this summer, the land is inviable for 20 years. If they stay alive, the radiation has been absorbed into the environment and will not be dangerous. Radioactive materials are too large to be obs orbed by most living creatures, especially humans. It is excreted out, and put into the earth, where it finds bedrock and is removed from danger. This is why Chernobyl, decades alter, is already returning to life.

Talk about a premature statement.

sorry I could not resist.. Back to your studies lad?!

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

I stand corrected, 200 suits...TY.

Yes, does make one wonder why the U.S. has not purchased them...

I too, saw the report, a tiny area devoted to making them.

Des

www.radshield.com...

Radiation Shield Technologies (RST) is proud to offer Demron™ : the new standard in personal radiation protection. This revolutionary technology is currently produced as full body suits, gloves and boots. Demron™ not only protects against particle ionizing/nuclear radiation (such as Beta and Alpha), but does what NO OTHER full body radiation protection can do: shield against X-ray and low-energy Gamma emissions. Demron™ is non-toxic and completely Lead-free.

Demron™ suits are constructed from a unique nanotechnology that far surpasses the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of current nuclear-biological-chemical (NBC) suits that only protect against radioactive particulate sources.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Destinyone because: addition of link

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Ah yes time for the friday news dump, ahem.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm searching on the Mox, and this first video, well I really like her, she researches and expresses the worry of this situation well. Her links are good too, though I added one to hers, one about weather modification and the fact that, heavy metals seem to be disbursed world wide already, so I really doubt what is being said about PU.

MOX: Japan and their Plutonium-Uranium mixed oxide fuel rods!

Chernobyl x's 10! japan's deadly mox (plutonium, D.U) fuel reactors, fallout to hit N.A.

www.francenuc.org...

---Both plutonium 239 and 241 are fissile; but plutonium 239 is normally used for the production of energy and of weapons

---Uranium 235 and uranium 238 are also alpha emitters. Plutonium is more harmful than uranium 235 and uranium 238, in great part because of the differences in their half-lives and, consequently, in their specific activity. The half-lives of the five isotopes of plutonium that concern us here are much shorter than those of uranium 235 and 238. Plutonium 239 with a half-life of 24,400 years, has a specific activity about 200,000 times greater than that of uranium 238 and about 30,000 times greater than that of uranium 235. The alpha particles emitted in the disintegration of plutonium 239 are about 25% more energetic than those emitted by the disintegration of uranium 238 and of uranium 235. Therefore, plutonium 239 is about 250,000 times more harmful per gram than uranium 238 and about 39,000 times more harmful per gram from the radiological point of view than uranium 235 [see IPPNW 92 and NAS 95].

---Plutonium fires produce a smoke of fine and insoluble particles of plutonium dioxide....
Difficulty of detection. Because plutonium 239 emits only alpha particles, which only travel short distances and emit weak gamma radiation, plutonium within a receptacle is difficult to detect. It is measured by indirect means, usually calculations based on the gamma radiation present, which is not an exact measure. P. Nicolai of Valduc praised a method that permits plutonium in waste to be measured with "a level of error close to 15%" [Nicolai 93].

archive.greenpeace.org...

Corporate stockpiles, rivalling military. Its Beyond Nuts:

Unless this occurs, growing stockpiles of “civil” plutonium will soon rival
military stockpiles, and international attempts to agree an effective and verifiable ban on
the production and use of plutonium and other fissile materials will be fatally
undermined.
(1) The current plutonium stockpile of India is estimated to be 350kg and the plutonium-equivalent of Pakistan’s
stockpile, 67.2kg, giving a total of 417kg, according to a 1999 report by David Albright of the Institute for Science and
International Security, based in Washington D.C. Albright was a member of the United Nations weapons inspection team
in Iraq.

www.abc.net.au...
ABC news highlights the Japanese history of coverup regarding their nuclear.

He says in 2003 reactors across the country had to be shut down after it emerged the Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO) had hid accidents.
"They had to shut down 17 plants in 2003 because they'd been falsifying the records about what had been happening at them," he said.
"Now the accidents weren't of a major nature. They weren't anything like what's going on in Fukushima.
"But they were serious in the sense that lives were threatened, systems broke down, there were failures to report and there were cover-ups. People pretended things hadn't happened."

ireport.cnn.com...

---I am so Astounded that the Japanese have as many Nuclear Power Plants  that they have on the most seismic place in the world! How they did not  have 100 different back up plans is beyond me! Why didn't they have  their generators 50 feet in the air in case of tsunamis...

---I am SHOCKED at what I found! This power plant meltdown can be 2 MILLION  times Worse than Chernobyl! This could make the whole country of Japan  uninhabitable, besides being carried around the world! This is truly  Sickening! In fact it really makes you wonder WHY they did not have 100  safety precautions in place! How dare they use MOX in a nuclear power  plant in a place that is known for the biggest quakes and tsunamis!...

---One other bit of information - KI pills do no good against MOX - it is  only good for Uranium radiation. Plutonium is not affected by the pills!  It stays in the soil 100% for one inch. Even rain does not wash it  away....

---2 Dangers of Resuspension in the Environment
In the event of a  contamination of the environment with plutonium, the whirling up and  inhalation of plutonium particles, known as resuspension, plays an  important role. If there is a road traffic, building work or cleaning  work at the plutonium contaminated site, plutonium can enter the body  through the respiratory tract. Generally, the more whirled up, the  greater the dose intake per quantity of plutonium on the ground. If  there is fire, and plutonium becomes airborne into fine aerosol  particles, plutonium contamination of the environment will extend to a  far larger scale, landing on ground, contaminating a vast wider area.  Plutonium remains effective over very long periods affecting the health  of the people and the environment.

www.dcbureau.org...

Mixed oxide fuel is a combination of finely ground up plutonium particles and uranium oxide fabricated into fuel rods at an AREVA subsidiary in La Hague, France.  The fuel is made from reprocessing old reactor fuel. Reprocessing was abandoned by the United States in the 1970s because of the dangers of weapons proliferation.
The CIA has reported that Japan’s nuclear power program was not limited to the peaceful production of electrical power. The program had its roots in a secret weapons program that caused the CIA to conclude as far back as 1964 that Japan could assemble within months a nuclear weapon.
Because of the Japanese public’s fear of nuclear weapons, the various subsequent Japanese governments have kept the program secret and have repeatedly denied its existence when news organizations made inquiries.

I've read that mercury and other elements are much heavier than PU and the idea that it all falls out is misleading.

Chaos Theory.
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
Disbursement of heavy metals seems to be a highly hushed black operation.

Yes, this is basically what I think. And there is another plant with another MOX reactor in danger. The spent fuel with many kilograms of plutoniun in fine powder is for their black op stuff/bombs.

The potential of what is going down here is tremendous.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Dude, move to Pripyat then and let us all know how that works out for you. There is no spin that you can throw on this to make it seem less than a total disaster. Shark whale and dolphin, huh? Since they are the only seafood we have to worry about eating, then please do subsist on the legal one yourself as you sit in your house in Pripyat.

link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Well not really. I was wrong on the reactors. I was reading on another nuclear power plant and confused the two.

But it is true that plants die first. Animals get cancer, then die.

radiation is, all and all, a part of life. You expose yourself to it all the time, and there;s plenty of worser sources for it in the US, such as coal plants.

I fail to see why nuclear has some stigmata attached to it. It's just using hot stuff to turn water. Everything is radioactive to some degree. It's just the rate of output that matters. And all and all, this is not going to be the end of the world. It will be gone in a short time and 20 years from now will not be negatively affecting much.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by jackflap

Trees are the most directly contacted life forms and the first to die form such things. Think about it. Unlike moving animals, they continuously consume nonstop. Self regulating and absorbing from the air and ground. if the trees start dieing, then you're in deep. Animals will get cancer first, and stick around for a bit. Same happened in Chernobyl. And yes, Chernobyl is returning to life. There are still hot spots. But life is returning.

reply to post by Yukitup

Sorry, there are 6,. but the other 2 are shut down. They were down that day and are not damaged.

Proof? Look at Chernobyl.

The situation is controlled. That does not make it good. That makes it controlled. It means that as along as it is under control, it will be good. And stability is increasing, so it does not look like that's happening.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

I'll bet that there are some very pretty clouds outside, hint hint, if you would like to go stare at them for a few hours. Otherwise, here's a neato thread that can use your input (but be sure to read the WHOLE thing): www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PaganArchangel

they have pretty much kept all the info about the nuclear crisis in Japan, tongue and cheek since the last explosion. It does not take rocket science to figure out why....

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulwarrior

From your link:

Deputy director general of the NISA, Hideohiko Nishiyama, also admitted that they do not know if the reactors are coming under control.

He said: 'With the water-spraying operations, we are fighting a fire we cannot see. That fire is not spreading, but we cannot say yet that it is under control.'

That about sums it up. No, the fire is not spreading... it has nowhere to spread to. Units #1 - #4 are already gone, and #5 and #6 are possibly far enough away to be relatively unaffected (assuming no major escalations).

My worry right now is the cloud of radiation that I am sure is hovering over the area. How far will it spread? Where will it return to earth? How long will it last? How severe will it be?

Will Japan survive this time?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

certainly not, but they are the things that's going to be affected the most in the waters. Crabs maybe also.

I'm not spinning much at all. I do see serious spin here though. The fact that life is returning to Chernobyl does not make it safe for humans. It means the recovery of life is faster than expected.

I say again. What is it about nuclear that makes it so bad and such a disaster? How about coal workers getting far worse? How about the vast damages of oil?

Radiation is heavy. It's why the molecules are unstable. The go down. They don't stay in the environment. If it did then summer would kill the Earth.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I was reading the IAEA site and it seems to offer some clues regarding the rating scale used.

The japanese have rated 5 solely the core damage at n 1, 2 and 3

The spent fuel rods problem at 4 and 3 are not considered "accidents" According tot them, they are just "incidents" and rated 3.

Given that the spent rods at n.3 prevent them from going anywhere near the site to check the status of this plant, that they require a constant jet of water etc... , if this is only a 3...one must indeed question what they expect that it will happen with core situation rated 5.

www.iaea.org...

Japan Earthquake Update (18 March 2011, 10:15 UTC) Japanese authorities have informed the IAEA that new INES ratings have been issued for some of the events relating to the nuclear emergency at the Fukushima Daiichi and Daini nuclear power plants.

Japanese authorities have assessed that the core damage at the Fukushima Daiichi 2 and 3 reactor Units caused by loss of all cooling function has been rated as 5 on the INES scale.
Japanese authorities have assessed that the loss of cooling and water supplying functions in the spent fuel pool of the Unit 4 reactor has been rated as 3.
Japanese authorities have assessed that the loss of cooling functions in the reactor Units 1, 2 and 4 of the Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant has also been rated as 3.
All reactor Units at Fukushima Daini nuclear power plant are now in a cold shut down condition.
Addition of 12:45 UTC
Japanese authorities have assessed that the core damage at the Fukushima Daiichi 1 reactor unit caused by the loss of all cooling function has been rated as 5 on the INES scale.

edit on 18-3-2011 by monica86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I believe:

1. they know full well that PU disburses world wide, and doesn't all drop out. After all they've been conducting intense black op weather modification programs with heavy metal elements for a long time.

2 PU is very hard to detect.

3. Mox fuel of the nature they've been storing is enough to make 60 Nukes!!!! So basically, we're kind of looking at a bad case scenario.

They're not telling the truth anywhere, on either side of the ocean.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

While have followed this thread diligently for days, I am getting really pissed. I'm just a normal person trying to make sense of things. I was extremely worried and made a bit of an ass of myself to my friends who now think I am a kook because of what I read here. Where are all the radiation sick people? Where are all the indy testers posting radiation off the charts? This "apocolyse" seems like it was blown way out of proportion. Maybe 'group think' impacted this thread. I'm still going to keep my mind open that there still is a very serious problem with the potential to get worse again and RedNeck's post about the radiation is duely noted, but if this stuff is going over the ocean right now we've dodged a bullet. This disaster seems to be going into a quiet phase that will last several weeks while we all go about our lives. No more big scarey explosions, no more media hype.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

no one here is saying its the end of the World. Listen first, speak Second. 20 years for life to come back to life is a long time.. It will be the end of the world for some life I suppose. Yet this is not the subject matter for this thread, to have an opinion on something happening at this moment to conclude it is as I stated, premature. You do not know the extent, nor do I, nor do the other contributors to this thread. What we do know is how radiation effects life, we know how dangerous it is, and we know it is contaminating portions of the far east.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

From your link:

Deputy director general of the NISA, Hideohiko Nishiyama, also admitted that they do not know if the reactors are coming under control.

He said: 'With the water-spraying operations, we are fighting a fire we cannot see. That fire is not spreading, but we cannot say yet that it is under control.'

That about sums it up. No, the fire is not spreading... it has nowhere to spread to. Units #1 - #4 are already gone, and #5 and #6 are possibly far enough away to be relatively unaffected (assuming no major escalations).

My worry right now is the cloud of radiation that I am sure is hovering over the area. How far will it spread? Where will it return to earth? How long will it last? How severe will it be?

Will Japan survive this time?

TheRedneck

My concern is about what is happening to the site where all of the spent rods are..that has the potential to be a REAL cluster@&% if it gets out of hand.
Sorry, this whole thing just torques me but good

Thank goodness for ATS

edit on 18-3-2011 by PaganArchangel because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
TheRedneck, firstly thank you and massive respects for your work in this thread,,,,(Applause)....Secondly, I am very interested in your theory (backed up with physics) about the radiation being funneled high into the air due to the use of water spraying.

Am I correct in thinking that from way early in this crisis they have been spraying, dropping water on the uncovered rods in the containment pools?...thus, creating a time bomb of radiation that could return to earth anywhere depending on upper air currents?

If so would you have a view as to how much radiation is up there and would you be willing to support my thoughts that it could in fact travel many thousands of miles? I know that radiation from Chernobyl reached Scotland.

Respects to you.

new topics

top topics

<< 213  214  215    217  218  219 >>

join