It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 215.htm
<< 212  213  214    216  217  218 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

They're totally wrong, and will need to publish an embarrassing retraction soon. If there was a live plume tracking map anywhere on the internet, this thread would be all over it, constantly. There is no such thing, unfortunately. Weather reports are about the best we have.

ETA: not surprising, but their email contact form doesn't work. That's probably why it's still mislabeled as a "tracking" map. No one has been able to tell them they're wrong.
edit on 18-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
hey there!!
A friend of mine who lives in Japan informed me that the disaster is now raised from 5 to 7 on INES scale, and also he told me 5 of the firemen that were today in the plant died and another 21 are with severe radioactive poisoning.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is madness. Listen to what see says????

She says radiation is good for you
edit on 18-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It sounds like its time to abort the mission to contain the catastrophe, and retreat. Now its a numbers game, get the civilians safe, and hell just enact damage control, entomb the reactors somehow, and get the civilians safe.

they have had over a week. Time to work on protecting lives. IF we go by the pulse of info at the beginning of the week, the reactors are still over heating, and radiation is still oozing from them.

what I am saying, what makes the stories different then what we were getting earlier in the week? Same things are happening and they still do not have control of the situation, if anything more radiation has gone into the atmosphere. Whether they are giving press conferences on it, or revealing it to us.

I would not be surprised either, as I have said before, we have some melt downs.

lets take care of the people now. Get them safe. Its gonna take a long time to get this area environmentally safe again if ever. We can worry about who is to blame, after everyone is safe.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Yes.

Very interesting...this is one of the most comprehensive write-ups on the Fukishima Nucler Disaster.

A must read.

Nuclear Apocalypse in Japan

START WORRYING, HERE'S WHY

The writing You Can Stop Worrying About A Radiation Disaster in Japan -- Here's Why is packed full of disinformation and technical jargon, masked as scientific expertise, meant to confound, confuse and scientifically impress the un-technical (concerned) reader. The author at first did not identify himself, which is a tactic many people use so that they do not have to take responsibility, or worry about being held accountable. Appended as a sort of disclaimer to the article that morphed out of the comment we find the statement: "Since posting this, we have learned that it was written by Dr. Josef Oehmen, a research scientist at MIT."

Perhaps the worst horror of all is that people trapped in the contaminated zones are now being shunned by outsiders, including aid organizations. Radiation fears, mingled with a sick sense of abandonment, reported the Los Angeles Times, as people are afraid to help them. People in the evacuation zones - elders and those without fuel or transport -- are geting no help, and no information. We should be humbled.

edit on 18-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

OMG, please keep The Wicked Witch out of here! LOL. I won't be able to tell if my vomiting is from her or the radiation.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Concern grows over Japan's nuclear crisis Friday 3/18/11

Alarm over Japan's nuclear disaster grew with more foreign governments advising their citizens to flee Tokyo as army helicopters dumped water on an overheating plant at the centre of the crisis.

"The site is effectively out of control," the European Union's energy chief Guenther Oettinger told a European Parliament committee, a day after he said Japan was facing "apocalypse".

France's Nuclear Safety Authority said the disaster now equated to a six on the seven-point international scale for nuclear accidents, ranking the crisis second in gravity only to the level-seven Chernobyl disaster in 1986.

US Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the events in Japan "actually appear to be more serious" than the 1979 accident at Three Mile Island, a partial reactor meltdown that led to small releases of radioactivity.

"To what extent we don't really know now," Chu said in Washington.

bunbury.igwn.com.au...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00

OMG, please keep The Wicked Witch out of here! LOL. I won't be able to tell if my vomiting is from her or the radiation.

I hope her, that is what I hope what I am feeling now

To think people will actually going to believe her..

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

The food will not be harmed. Unless you eat Japanese shark whale and dolphin, two of which are illegal.

There are only 4 reactors there. In your panic, you have failed to learn the truth.

The area is not like the end of the world. The situation is already stabilizing. And by stabilizing I do not mean all is well. I mean it will go on for weeks, but it will be under control.

The final proof will be in the trees. if the trees die this summer, the land is inviable for 20 years. If they stay alive, the radiation has been absorbed into the environment and will not be dangerous. Radioactive materials are too large to be obs orbed by most living creatures, especially humans. It is excreted out, and put into the earth, where it finds bedrock and is removed from danger. This is why Chernobyl, decades alter, is already returning to life.

link   
This is pretty cool ... Some guy in Santa Monica is streaming a live feed of his Geiger counter:

EnviroReporter.com’s Radiation Station

Note that the site seems to be slow -- undoubtedly the server is being hammered with requests.

More people around the country should do this -- I'd do it if I had a counter.

link   

If Japan decides to bury the complex, pressures and temperatures must be controlled before then, said Mario V. Bonaca, an adviser to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Otherwise, he said, overheated nuclear fuel will melt or burst through the sand, cement or other covering and release more radiation.

Japan may bury stricken plant

So if this science is correct, it doesn't even look hopeful that they COULD entomb the damn thing given all the trouble with the fuel ponds , especially if the conclusion that no 4 fuel pond has a breach so is leaking water...
And today they were talking of pressures continuing to fluctuate in some of the reactors

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Originally posted by 00nunya00

I hope her, that is what I hope what I am feeling now

To think people will actually going to believe her..

If it came from anyone but her I would be incredulous. But I'm not remotely surprised.
The IAEA is taking some heat over the situation:

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie

If Japan decides to bury the complex, pressures and temperatures must be controlled before then, said Mario V. Bonaca, an adviser to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Otherwise, he said, overheated nuclear fuel will melt or burst through the sand, cement or other covering and release more radiation.

Japan may bury stricken plant

So if this science is correct, it doesn't even look hopeful that they COULD entomb the damn thing given all the trouble with the fuel ponds , especially if the conclusion that no 4 fuel pond has a breach so is leaking water...
And today they were talking of pressures continuing to fluctuate in some of the reactors

they might be trying to cool it down, so they can. I just do not know, like redneck was saying, about one of the reactors, they were trying to cool, it was not building pressure, which indicated a breach, if they cannot cool these reactors down, then what? They cannot entomb them, what do they do just burn themselves out? Why not use dang liquid nitrogen, it is the antonym of lava dang it, perhaps that can accelerate the cooling process and then dump the concrete all over it. I am just trying to think of idea's. I do not think their is an answer to fixing this without some kind of entombment obviously.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Can you or someone zoom in on the damage at the number 3 building?
I do not know how to do this and i would like to take a closer look.

Not much to work on res wise as its a capture from video...

edit on 18-3-2011 by zorgon because: Charlie Sheen did it
I KNOW NOTHING

Ok, I am on lunch from my college welding lab. I will try to make this quick because I have to get back to class. I printed the pictures out and showed them to my instructor. He has been teaching at the college for about 12 years now. He started welding when he was 18 and joined the navy to learn the ropes. He is a certified AWS CWI( American Welding Society,certified welding inspector) He served his duty and told me that he even did some construction work on this same kind of nuclear reactor. His credentials are outstanding and I would believe his take, insight, expertise, or opinion on any steel construction vessel, building, or anything to do with steel, over anyone in this world. He is very knowlegabl no BS type of guy with his info.

Take this anyway you want it but I got an unbiased expert opinion on these pictures.

So here it goes. First he said that the photos are from a pretty good distance and we would need a better close up inspection to know the exact facts about the rubble. However, I printed several pictures of the collapsed building and I focused on the picture in which you labeld the crane gantry and top of reactor. I know you or somebody else put question marks and some are claiming this is the top of the reactor.

He told me that he can clearly see webbing of an I beam. he said that the picture is not clear enough to make a decisive decision on where this I beam was located. He said that this is in no way the top of the reactor. I do not know if you meant the top of the concrete containment floor, roof or the top of the containment vessel so I did not clarify that. He said that it is in no way the top of the pressure vessel because of the latitudinal shape of the I beam webbing. The pressure vessel has an spherical shape. Not a flat elongated stucture. He also noted that the reactor would be located somewhere in the vicinty of down and left and inch or two in the photo. Once again these postions are used a little loosely because of the lack of verifiable details in the photos. He stated that he belives this is some sort of support stucture for something in or on the building, or could possibly be the I beam to the crane support system.

On for the "crane gantry" label on the pic. He stated that he does not know if this truss design is for the roof or the upper wall structure of the building. He believes that this is not part of the crane or trolley system. I mentioned the fact that it is on top of the reckage and not under the roofing material, such as roof trusses or beams, and he agreed that this could be the case. Notice there is no other material on or around this structure. I figure that some will say the explosion ripped it off. But if this is the case the other pictures show roofing structures on top of the rubble.

Once again he said that the photos are a little vague and he would need a more better assement of the structure to get into the exact dimensions and postions of the wreckage. I used up my whole lunch time to type this. If there is any spelling or grammar errors I apollogize. I thought it is an important part of finding out what really happened and the condition of the structure.

To all members: If you do not want to take this information into consideration that is on you. It does not bother me a bit. If you would like to ask questions that is ok. I got an expert opinion and it sounds legit.
edit on 18-3-2011 by liejunkie01 because: edited once

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

This is one of the contentions between myself and Erasurehead,,, I'm thinking they have to cool the core off to below the melting point of the concrete to keep the cap from simply melting off in the future, but he seems to think enough concrete will prevent that at present temperatures.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not gonna say he's wrong.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

The area is not like the end of the world. The situation is already stabilizing. And by stabilizing I do not mean all is well. I mean it will go on for weeks, but it will be under control. The final proof will be in the trees. if the trees die this summer, the land is inviable for 20 years. If they stay alive, the radiation has been absorbed into the environment and will not be dangerous. Radioactive materials are too large to be obs orbed by most living creatures, especially humans. It is excreted out, and put into the earth, where it finds bedrock and is removed from danger. This is why Chernobyl, decades alter, is already returning to life.

Whew! Thanks man, I was starting to really worry. I mean hey, Chernobyl made it right? I believe we are all being a little too dramatic here. The situation is under control as Gorman91 points out. All we have to do is see if the trees survive. If they do, the radiation is absorbed into the environment. If they don't then we just have to wait a little while like they did with Chernobyl. Gorman91 points out that it is already returning to life! See, what's to worry about?
edit on 18-3-2011 by jackflap because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Unity_99

The food will not be harmed. Unless you eat Japanese shark whale and dolphin, two of which are illegal.

If you say so, then we will all trust you.

There are only 4 reactors there. In your panic, you have failed to learn the truth.

You're not serious, are you?

The area is not like the end of the world. The situation is already stabilizing. And by stabilizing I do not mean all is well. I mean it will go on for weeks, but it will be under control.

Have you read the last 3 pages -- forget the entire thread, just the last 3 pages?

The final proof will be in the trees. if the trees die this summer, the land is inviable for 20 years. If they stay alive, the radiation has been absorbed into the environment and will not be dangerous. Radioactive materials are too large to be obs orbed by most living creatures, especially humans. It is excreted out, and put into the earth, where it finds bedrock and is removed from danger. This is why Chernobyl, decades alter, is already returning to life.

And......wow. Care to provide a few links for this, um, [trying to be polite] drivel?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I really do hate to say this, but I think today will see the whole fantasy of Tepco, shred like a old thin veil.

It also makes me wonder, just who will end up wearing those 2,000 top rated radiation shield suits that were donated to them today, by the Radiation Shield Technologies Co. in Fl.

Time for the World Calvary to ride in...

Des

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Just came across this on the Mail Online. "Nuclear plant chief weeps"

There is info already mentioned in this thread, but I'd not seen it mentioned that the plant chief broke down at the admission that levels of leaked radiation are high enough to kill. Current levels not given in this article, but it stated that after spraying from the water cannons the levels increased to 4,000 millisieverts an hour afterwards. Also, the statement that entombment may be the option.

Article has some specifics regarding the amount of fuel rods damaged across 3 reactors.

Again, I believe this is new info updated on an existing article. If not my apologies.

Soul

edit on 18-3-2011 by Soulwarrior because: spellling correction

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Trees are the most directly contacted life forms and the first to die form such things. Think about it. Unlike moving animals, they continuously consume nonstop. Self regulating and absorbing from the air and ground. if the trees start dieing, then you're in deep. Animals will get cancer first, and stick around for a bit. Same happened in Chernobyl. And yes, Chernobyl is returning to life. There are still hot spots. But life is returning.

reply to post by Yukitup

Sorry, there are 6,. but the other 2 are shut down. They were down that day and are not damaged.

Proof? Look at Chernobyl.

The situation is controlled. That does not make it good. That makes it controlled. It means that as along as it is under control, it will be good. And stability is increasing, so it does not look like that's happening.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 212  213  214    216  217  218 >>

join