It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 213.htm
<< 210  211  212    214  215  216 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Any news on whether the cable to reactor 2 HAS been successfully laid ? Earlier there were conflicting reports.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Thank you for that informative answer, I think it's very important to be clear about exactly what you mean in this discussion. As this is a fairly complicated subject people can easily get things wrong and add to the confusion

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Zorgon's posted pic of reactor 3.

When I saw this pic this morning, I noticed some things in it that I thought might shed some light on exactly what has happened here. this unit was the one which set off the largest explosion we have seen yet... strong enough to be felt 30 km away and set off the early earthquake warning system and tsunami alert. I outlined some areas of this pic to give my interpretation of it.

Note that this is only an interpretation, and without knowing the orientation of the original reactor, I can't be certain of any of this. Please take this info with a grain of salt.

The first thing I noticed was the area indicated by purple (pink?) arrows... this depression seems to me to be the source of the explosion. More on that later.

The second thing was the areas outlined in red. The vertical structures on each end appear to be the supports for the overhead crane that loads and unloads reactor fuel. They are typically some of the strongest sections of the building, since the last thing you want is for the crane to even deflect... remember earlier I spoke of the extreme tolerances used in the fuel/control rod assemblies. The central red outlined area may be what remains of the crane itself... it is possible it is a section of roofing, but the configuration leads me to think it may be a twisted section of a special joist arrangement that is used in heavy cranes.

Based on that and the geometry of the remains, I outlined where I think the reactor is sitting underneath the rubble in blue. The green indicates where the spent fuel rod pool would be located. Notice the reactor is at one end of the crane and the spent fuel is at the other, which is how these things are made. Yes, I know, steam is coming from the spent fuel area I pointed out, which I consider another indication that is what it is.

Back to the assumed point of explosion... most of the force of the explosion was directed toward reactor #2, and the fact that the depression is on that side of the reactor/spent fuel area would explain this... those are the heaviest areas of the plant in terms of mass and would have shaped the charge away from them.

I believe this is further evidence that it was indeed a hydrogen explosion, as has been pretty well already verified. The vented gases from the reactor would have congregated in the area above the depression, ignited from an as-yet-unknown source, and exploded with a shaped force as mentioned above, toward Unit #2. Based on this, I do not think the explosion breached the core of reactor #3, due to the direction of the explosion. I also believe the primary containment wall as well as the reactor to be more or less intact. That does not guarantee there are not cracks, but it does indicate there may not be.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
As a long time lurker on ATS, I finally felt it was time, to register to post.

First, TY to all members, who have been so quick with verifiable info, on this ongoing disaster, happening in Japan.
You've used your valuable time, and resources to present facts, as they become available. Bless You.

Second, the fact that the U.S. has now sat up and stated that, Japan has only 24 hrs., to make it better, gives me a wee bit of hope, that other Countries have put Japan/Gov't, on notice, that it's now a much bigger problem than they are willing to admit. Japan is not a planet onto itself...we have a whole planet to protect.

Des

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

Not properly shut down as in still producing heat. I am assuming the control rods were inserted correctly, although there remains the possibility that the quake caused enough deflection to impede this. The quake was at least ten times as powerful as the design was intended to endure.

When I said 'properly shut down', I was referring to a plant that was completely shut down, allowed to cool, and not producing any appreciable decay heat... a reactor in stasis.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Just been a news conference - they don't know about the situation about the fuel ponds ......

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

Originally posted by TheRedneck

The fact that TEPCO is desperately trying to cool the reactor in #2 is not an indication it is properly shut down. Ergo, the fuel is still producing heat.

Not properly shut down as in a failure of inserting the control rods? As far as I know nuclear fuel will always produce heat (decay heat) after being shut down.

edit on 18-3-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

In a plant where there were many explosions, a cracked container emitting lethal radiation where Tepco asked the PM not to send any more men in and was yelled at No We Have To Save Face, I provided the link yesterday, where 5 already died, 2 are missing, countless are very very ill. Its an horrendous situation.

We all saw the mushroom and the pictures of 3. That was a full meltdown I dont care what anyone says.

And its only tiny levels they say reached LA today. Really? Well the levels may not read high on a counter, but they contain fine particles and there is some PU there, after all, other heavier metals have traveled. PU disperses too. And it gets into everything. In fact, we all already have that by the way, they've done tests on teeth and autopsies. We've already got PU in us. Its just ludicrous.

Now, I provided a link that they want to put cement and sand on it but its too hot.

By the way, I'm yelling at the leaders to get those people out of there, I'd be screaming with a bullhorn in their faces if I could, even if I could go over their to do it.

But, I do feel very sorry for him, and was praying last night. He's an eastern man, saving face is a part of their culture, and some of them commit suicide with sharp things, that they weren't taught to stay away from. I don't want him to go over the edge that way. I want him to snap out of it and rescue the people, not be so deeply ingrained in eastern mind set to this extent.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by bitbytebit

I understand your sensitivity, but from the standpoint of evolutionary psychology it is probably misplaced. There is undoubtedly a fascination with danger and a satisfaction when one's predictions (dire or not) come true. People that have these feelings are more likely to develop an understanding of the danger and avoid it in the future. Over time those people will be more likely to survive than those who avert their eyes from horror and try to put it out of their minds.

The fact that we have this fascination and satisfaction reflects much of what is best in humanity when viewed rightly. It can seem ghoulish, and unfortunately in some cases it may be. But for most on this thread, the fascination with danger and thrill of trying to ferret out evidence and understand what is happening and what should be done has nothing whatsoever to do any desire for the worst in Japan.

These feelings can seem otherwise and easily be misunderstood. So there are the continual expressions of sympathy and hope to be found wrong from those who see this situation as potentially extraordinarily dangerous and definitely poorly understood. In an ideal world, they would be unnecessary. Feelings of pleasure attacking a difficult and important problem, and even some dark pleasure in accurately predicting a tragedy, help all humanity avoid danger and survive in the long run and are not directed against Japan at all.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
News: Fox live. 11:46 ET.

Fl. co donates 2,000 specialized radiation suits to Japan. Radiation Shield Technologies.

www.radshield.com...

Des

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
From what I understand they're trying to run electrical lines to #5, 6 and 2, the reactors with the least damage. I'm not sure what this will do for 1, 3 and 4.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Welcome. Do you have a link about the US giving Japan 24 hours? I hadn't heard about that.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

Cliff Notes version...survival of the fittest. Sometimes sad, but true.

Des

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

A little different than pure survival of the fittest, as we are not in a struggle against Japan, but with Japan against the natural world -- how it is, and how we have changed it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

Agree...survival of the fittest on a planetary scale, is what I meant to say. Mea Culpa.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
Any news on whether the cable to reactor 2 HAS been successfully laid ? Earlier there were conflicting reports.

Yes, the TEPCO official in charge is now watching Cartoon Network.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

TRN, do you have any analysis on what getting power to #5 and 6, then #2, is going to accomplish and how that might help the worst shape reactors #1, 3 and 4?

I get the feeling this is another stalling dog and pony show like the helicopter water drops.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by dvrt10

Looking for link on Fox, it was on the news about an hour or so ago. Will post when I find it.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

i am with you. what i am wondering is: they just reported that radiation levels have risen slightly in cali. according to epa, but that is the same as going for an x-ray. now, does this mean we should be wearing a lead chest protector and only be exposed for a few seconds? that is what ya do at the doctor. also i heard somewhere that you are only suppoed to have 1 x-ray every 6 months due to the danger. i dont know if its true but if it is should we only go outside once every 6 months as not to be harmed?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

That is an excellent post! Thank you!

In my case, I believe having proper information is the key to success in anything. The very reason I got involved in this thread was because I saw people being scared due to misinformation... not purposely, mind you, but as a result of ignorance... simply not knowing. So I decided to share what information I had.

I have done an appreciable amount of research since then... to the extent of re-opening some pretty dusty old books from those days to refresh my memory. And I do enjoy research, and learning new things. So in that respect, yes, there is a certain amount of pleasure in continuing in this thread despite the misery I see happening.

We will learn from this disaster... some of us already are. Others will follow suit. Still others will have to be forced into learning to keep up. And in the end, we as a society will know more and be better prepared for the uncertainty of the future.

I will also admit that there have been a couple of times when the frustration got to me... such as when the military decided to ignore all physical laws in order to save the day. Or the constant difficulties concerning radiation levels. Or the lack of information and contradictory evidence. Things like that bother me... always have, and always will.

Information and education are the key to our survival in a technologically advancing society. I believe that to the point that I have shut off suppliers due to lack of proper information. Some I do not deal with to this day, despite financial and logistical hardships in other areas this has caused me. It is worth it to me to keep information accurate and free.

Even if that information is not what we want to hear.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Above Japan nuclear plant is a no-go for US Navy

The U.S. Navy is keeping all but critical missions from flying through a wide stretch of airspace above Japan's overheating nuclear plant - an even larger area than the U.S. government has recommended that Americans avoid on the ground.

The air cordon is intended to ensure safety and keep routine flights from passing through potentially hazardous airspace, Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for the U.S. 7th Fleet, said Friday.

It's not a complete ban, with specific missions still being carried out inside a "heightened awareness zone," Davis said. U.S. aircraft are conducting flights to measure radiation coming from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, where reactors and fuel storage pools began overheating after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami knocked out cooling systems. The restricted zone covers a radius of 100 nautical miles - or about 115 miles or 185 kilometers - above the Fukushima plant. The area is more than twice the 50-mile (80-kilometer) radius the U.S. government has urged Americans to avoid on the ground, which in turn is larger than the area where the Japanese government says people should either leave or stay indoors to prevent radiation exposure. www.whbf.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 18-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 210  211  212    214  215  216 >>

join