Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
They are now saying there is enough water to cool the reactor. People are being told to stay indoors etc still though.

twitter.com...#

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The BBC are still reporting that cooling has FAILED on one reactor, however claims are different here.

twitter.com...#

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

seen post say to update in one of these threads,

got the news on T.V.

200 - 300 bodies have washed up on the shore

and a "report" estimates 10,000 missing

Source BBC News

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Wow, I hope Japan is still able to make anime while this stuff is going on.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Wow, I hope Japan is still able to make anime while this stuff is going on.

That's really funny.
Not.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Warhacks just posted this in the other thread.

"Nuclear Power plant might have exploded Fox live captures live footage then quickly change to another live shot
frame title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" "http://www.youtube.com/embed/h-eTeSOKchA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>"

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=10761515#pid10761515

Possibly a false alarm, it could have been footage from the refinery fire that is still going.
edit on 11/3/2011 by Doyle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
That explosion is from the oil refinery.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This is bad, really bad. Even if there's no meltdown, the energy taken offline until nuclear power plants can get back online will greatly affect life there. I think NP provides about one-third of energy.

Nature caused the first disaster. Humans will cause the next one.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
NHK World

Tokyo Electric said an equipment failure has made it impossible to cool two reactors at the Fukushima Number One plant. The firm says it does not have enough electric power to cool the reactors, which automatically stopped operating when the quake struck.

I would like to hear from the experts, but this doesn't sound too good.

The news about Japan looks more and more like their Godzilla movies, unreal.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Godzilla indeed!

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This is just heresay as I forgot where I read it this morning - US Air Force
sending coolant to Japan nuclear facility. Sounds like this is a very
dangerous situation. 3 diasters right now, Earthquake, Tsunami and
Nuclear plant shutdowns.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

That means that the diesel generators were rendered inoperable by the earthquake. So they don’t have backup power to run the cooling pumps. They need to get mobile generating capacity in there ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
edit on 11-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Update: Authorities are looking to expand the evacuation zone around the plant. Core temp is rising, they are still unable to properly cool the fuel rods. If it not controlled soon this could become a major disaster in the area.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

US airlifts coolant

Looks like the U.S. military (AF) might come out heroes this time. I'm assuming it wasn't just water being delivered. Perhaps they might airlift some generators in as well.

"There is a falling trend (in water levels) but we have not confirmed an exposure of nuclear fuel rods," a TEPCO spokesman said.

Not confirmed exposure sounds as bad as their impossible to cool comment they made earlier.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here is news footage from thirty five minutes ago.

I edited to add this amateur video of the skyscrapers swaying during one of the quakes. They are designed to do this.

edit on 11-3-2011 by jackflap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Thanks for that report - I knew I had read that some place.
Wonder exactly what is meant by coolant? I hope they
take them all that is needed to avoid a complete FAIL.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just more reference information ...

Fukushima I Nuclear Power Plant on Wikipedia

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The main problem with the reactors is if the rods become exposed, or the water cannot be cycled through fast enough(which requires power) then you end up with a radiation leak and worse.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmm ... here's an interesting quote ...

[Reuters] UPDATE 5: Japan scrambles to avert radiation crisis at nuclear plant

Kyodo news agency quoted the company as saying that the radiation level was rising in the turbine building and the pressure had risen to 1.5 times the designed capacity.

Note: Emphasis added by ATS poster (i.e. me).

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
It seems the us military are flying in coolant to the reactors!

Also 6500 evacuated and 2 km exclusion zone....

not good 6 that is 6 reactors at the site!

After the March 11, 2011 earthquake, NHK Broadcasting reported that all six reactors shut down automatically, but that electrical problems prevented all cooling pumps for reactor #1 from functioning. Because cooling pumps are needed to reduce residual reactor heat, a nuclear emergency was declared. Under Japanese law, a nuclear emergency must be declared if there is a release of radiation, if there is a dangerous level of water in the reactor, or if the cooling mechanisms fail. However, there is no evidence of any radiation being released.[1] It was the first time a nuclear emergency had been declared in Japan. The emergency cooling systems also were activated for reactor #2. About 5800 residents living near the power plant were ordered to evacuate. Batteries, which last about eight hours, are being used to power the reactor cooling during the electrical outage, and the government can use military helicopters to fly in replacement batteries.[2]

A state of emergancy has been declared because the cooling system has failed. 2KM around the plant has been evacuated. The pressure in Reactor 1 is increasing and the possiblility of a radiation leak also. Nuclear experts say that as of 17h GMT if the situation is not resolved in the next few hours it will become serious.[3] The United States Air Force delivered coolant to the plant sites to assist in preventing dangerous pressure levels. The water level inside the reactor has dropped; however, the rods were not exposed.[4]

WIKI @ 1870 gmt

Elf.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join