It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 186.htm
<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

Yeah it was a comment.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
REDNECK , thanks for your comments . I've a couple of questions that are really bugging me. I've posted them a couple of times but think they have got lost amongst all the pages. Please can you answer them as I can't get them off my mind !

Q- Let's say they manage to restore power to 3 of the reactors (generous speculation). But then the issue with the spent fuel rod pond/s remains unsolvable..... Would this lead to having to totally abandon the plant due to constantly high levels of radiation as the rods melt ? Could they even still enter the control room to keep on top of keeping the 3 reactors cool or would it basically all be abandoned and the whole plant eventually goes to meltdown , with ALL reactors left to go to $hit?

Q- The pipes leading up to the roof of the buildings with the spent fuel pools must be wrecked ? Else they'd have just been able to use generators bought from wherever to power the pumps that make the water go up those pipes ...? So why aren't they building new pipes but wasting time dumping water from helicopters instead ?

Many thanks

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
This guy on The Alex Jones Show reported an hour ago that his friends in Chiba City were experiencing radiation sickness symptoms: vomitting, blotches on skin, flu like symptoms. He said it's widespread in Chiba City.

If this is true then they were really lying about the levels of radiation. (I don't know if the guy was a hoaxer or not)

That caller was almost undoubtedly full of malarkey, he stank of attention-whoring.

I hope that nobody confuses "official science" which is not always accurate with "solid science."
I am not scientifically illiterate, but I admit I don't know much about fission and the byproducts thereof, nor nuclear physics generally.
Redneck, do you have a nuclear-science background, or are you just well-read on the subject? I will check your profile.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
Dont know if this has been posted yet as im still catching up with all the posts.....

This is real !

Also apparently the news of radiation hitting the UK was also on British radio today?

Am I the only member on here at the minute that is in the UK? Is nobody in the slightest bit worried about this?

My kids have been out playing today, been to school, generally being kids!

Is this dangerous, and do you know what radio station was said to have reported this? Do you have a news link to it?

Anyone? This is getting very worrying now!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceekay
.This is real !

Also apparently the news of radiation hitting the UK was also on British radio today?

Am I the only member on here at the minute that is in the UK? Is nobody in the slightest bit worried about this?

My kids have been out playing today, been to school, generally being kids!

Is this dangerous, and do you know what radio station was said to have reported this? Do you have a news link to it?

Anyone? This is getting very worrying now!

Your kids and you will be fine ....stop with that fear ....no way some radiation to reach UK ..so i say once again ....for now 100 % is that not single drop of radiation in Japan is in UK
edit on 17-3-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
As Youtube has been barred in Japan, and i just heard that some isp's in the U.S have gone down. What do you think the chances of them flicking the kill switch over the rest of the world ?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Im in the UK as well and im worried about it to, seems were not listened to as much as the Americans

(said with jest)

link   

link   
I'm back after a few hours' absence...
A few reports from JAIF -

filling the pool report - www.jaif.or.jp...
latest reactor status report - www.jaif.or.jp...

TEPCO report of 0:00 pm Mar 17th www.tepco.co.jp...

RSOE EDIS

Situation Update No. 41
On 17.03.2011 at 17:50 GMT+2

The United States has called for evacuations of American citizens as the crisis at a Japanese nuclear facility - without power and causing concern of a potential meltdown after last week's earthquake - grows worse. The Associated Press reports that the U.S. is doing minute-by-minute analysis of the issue as it develops, according to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham. Both The New York Times and NPR are following the story with live blog coverage, and The Times addressed reader questions and concerns last night in a Q&A.

Japanese officials have made little progress cooling spent-fuel pools at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear complex over the past 24 hours. But what exactly is going wrong? The National Journal explains in detail: Partial nuclear meltdowns and coinciding explosions have occurred in at least two of the reactors after the double whammy of the earthquake and tsunami knocked out the plant’s electricity. Those problems have arisen with the actual generation of the nuclear power. The news of the day Wednesday focused on problems with the fourth reactor’s spent-fuel pool, the nuclear waste left over once power has been generated. The terms nuclear meltdown and spent fuel—and the dozens of others also cropping up in media reports—can be complex on paper and even more confusing to imagine. But one basic point is that the most important piece of the puzzle is water. And in Japan’s case, that piece of the puzzle has been missing.

President Barack Obama, who is on a five-day trip to South America, offered Japan "any support needed" and the U.S. has already begun assisting with the response. The AP reports: Several water pumps and hoses were being sent from U.S. bases around Japan to help at Fukushima, where technicians were dousing the overheating nuclear reactors with seawater in a frantic effort to cool them. The U.S. had already sent two fire trucks to the area to be operated by Japanese firefighters, said Cmdr. Leslie Hull-Ryde, a Pentagon spokeswoman. Meanwhile, The Republican's Stan Freeman reported yesterday that the crisis in Japan has intensified the debate over nuclear power's role in New England's energy future. The Boston Globe reports that the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission has put a temporary hold on the Vermont Yankee plant's license renewal, citing staffing issues as they deal with the issues abroad.

Also NISA reports here - www.nisa.meti.go.jp...
edit on 17-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

What's the odd green stuff around :30?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iWokeUp
reply to post by xavi1000

Im in the UK as well and im worried about it to, seems were not listened to as much as the Americans

(said with jest)

I hear that!
It does seem to got have got here really quick if it is here!

Do you have any idea which radio station this was on?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ceekay

Hey cheekay, i know it is worrying !

Well i posted the radiation link on my facebook page and a friend commented saying it was on the radio today. She lives down south near thetford......

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Sorry, I had to post this somewhat off topic video; I think we can all use a laugh right about now.

A simple interpretation of the current nuclear crisis. I like to imagine this being shown on the wall in a huge situation briefing for top US Government officials

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-3-2011 by buskey because: sp

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If anyone's interested, here's a real video from Chernobyl -

those strange bright-red things are actually hot graphite

link   

link   
reply to post by iWokeUp

Is there any chance you could ask your friend which radio station? There maybe a news link or something on the stations website.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ceekay

Helloo - I'm here too. Just been lurking awhile, reading and trying to follow the events on ATS and BBC Live.

My thoughts are with the people in Japan and the brave souls on the front line. You guys are real heroes!

I think it is a case of watch and wait.
edit on 17/3/2011 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator

Originally posted by windwaker
This guy on The Alex Jones Show reported an hour ago that his friends in Chiba City were experiencing radiation sickness symptoms: vomitting, blotches on skin, flu like symptoms. He said it's widespread in Chiba City.

If this is true then they were really lying about the levels of radiation. (I don't know if the guy was a hoaxer or not)

That caller was almost undoubtedly full of malarkey, he stank of attention-whoring.

I hope that nobody confuses "official science" which is not always accurate with "solid science."
I am not scientifically illiterate, but I admit I don't know much about fission and the byproducts thereof, nor nuclear physics generally.
Redneck, do you have a nuclear-science background, or are you just well-read on the subject? I will check your profile.

I think the same guy was just on the Lou Dobbs show.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join