It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 184.htm
<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
From Reuters

- Engineers work through the night to lay a 1.5 km (one mile) electricity cable to the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear complex in the hope of restarting pumps needed to pour cold water on overheating fuel rods.

- Engineers hope to use power from the main grid to restart water pumps to cool reactor No. 2, which does not house spent fuel rods considered the biggest risk of spewing radioactivity into the atmosphere.

- A water cannon also douses No. 3 reactor, the top priority for authorities with plutonium fuel inside. Smoke and steam had been escaping from the unit, indicating water evaporating from the cooling pool. Pressure had been rising.

- United States sends aircraft to fly out nationals from Japan, authorizes voluntary departure of family members of diplomatic staff.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
So are there any reasonable estimates of what happens if say every damn one of them melts down? From what I understand about the science even if that happens everywhere but Japan is pretty much alright. So my question is worst case, what sixe area of Japan are most likely to be uninhabitable for an extended period of time? Are any actions in place for a worst case scenario in evacs?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Great stuff cosmicpixie, nice finds. Now in a truly appreciative (yet undeniably lazy) tone, did you find any nuggets in there worth sharing?

I did say that it was the physicist on the other thread who posted the links (on that other thread)...I was merely reposting them as thought they might be of interest to some people who understand about this stuff. I am just a layperson so will leave it to others more qualified to comment on anything in those wesbites. I was just trying to be helpful, that's all. Wish I understood all the science but I don't ......

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Dont know if this has been posted yet as im still catching up with all the posts.....

This is real !

Also apparently the news of radiation hitting the UK was also on British radio today?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
US Government: "No need to worry, there will not be any threat posed by radioactive fallout in the US. Oh, by the way, we're deploying a buttload of portable radiation monitors along the west coast. There's no connection, it's just a coincidence, we had them laying around and thought we should put them to use."

news.yahoo.com...

Just like I said in your other thread, it is always better to be safe than sorry. This is a 'estimate and learn as we go' scenario. No one knows absolutely what will happen, other than the physics aspect as Redneck mentioned.

OBVIOUSLY they are going to monitor the situation.

When they tell you its all fine and dont monitor anything, then you can be worried.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Thank you Redneck for injecting a little solid science into the discusssion.

I seiously believe if you asked the average fearmonger how far Japan is from the US mainland you'd get some very revealing answers. .
Some poor person on here last night actually thought she needed a passport to travel from California to Arizona (if I read her post correctly).

People are just terrified of the unknown and that fact coupled with a short attention span for scientific fact (ie the difference between types of radioactive decay, half-lives, meteorological data, etc etc) yields unecessay extreme worry. Underlying the fear, IMHO, is a sense that we are being lied to on a daily basis by TPTB. Again, IMHO, I believe we are but not regarding everything, all the time.

I think everyone should be prepared to take care of themselves regardless of where in particular they may believe the threat lies (EMP, X flares, weather related, magnetice pole shift, physical pole shift, EQ, financial colapse.) Besides trying to ensure physical survival, ones spiiritual preparation is paramount. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience way more than vice versa.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
They are now reporting problems with the spent fuel pool in #2.

smoke was confirmed to be billowing from the nearby No. 2 unit at the power plant, suggesting that a spent nuclear fuel pool in the facility may also be boiling.

english.kyodonews.jp...

Additional information:
They cannot dump water on the spent fuel pool at #2 because the roof is still intact. They are focusing on trying to restore electricity the this unit first.
edit on 3/17/2011 by Erasurehead because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
Apparently they have restored power to the Fukushima plant.

This is on danish news so no link
Any one know anything about this?
edit on 17-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

I haven't seen any news to say they have actually restored power, only news on Reuters not long ago that they have managed to lay cables to reactor 2 and plan to try and use the main grid to power them .

I did ask earlier (but no response as yet) that won't getting power to one or two reactors be by the by if they can't sort the issues with the cooling ponds....as if those aren't sorted the plant would eventually have to be abandoned completely due to all the radiation ???

Plus at this stage, even if they GET power sorted, it's only one to one reactor at the moment so they would have to repeat the procedure at all the other reactors too (another 5 ?)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I hear the same.
I think they made a big mistake, and made me post a rumor

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
She just said that they are expecting to restore power to the number 2 reactor tomorrow( friday morning). The electrical systems were not damaged as bad or at all. If this was posted already, then sorry.
www.cnn.com.../3&hpt=T1

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
The mushroom cloud is nothing to worry about. Its just a publicity stunt for mama's super chunky mushroom spaghetti sauce.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Digital_Reality because: More doom...

now with extra plutonium!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by robyn
Thank you Redneck for injecting a little solid science into the discusssion.

People are just terrified of the unknown and that fact coupled with a short attention span for scientific fact (ie the difference between types of radioactive decay, half-lives, meteorological data, etc etc) yields unecessay extreme worry. Underlying the fear, IMHO, is a sense that we are being lied to on a daily basis by TPTB. Again, IMHO, I believe we are but not regarding everything, all the time.

I think everyone should be prepared to take care of themselves regardless of where in particular they may believe the threat lies (EMP, X flares, weather related, magnetice pole shift, physical pole shift, EQ, financial colapse.) Besides trying to ensure physical survival, ones spiiritual preparation is paramount. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience way more than vice versa.

It's just hard to know when the throw the "get out of dodge" switch when your job and home are at stake. I want to thank Redneck for adding some sense into my troubled brain. If we have an explosion that sends that place into the stratosphere... that's when I'm bugging out.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

Good point, not intending to fearmonger at all, just trying to keep abreast of all developments. I just always find it so hilarious (and frustrating) that TPTB seem to quite often say one thing while very blatantly doing another and they get away with every darn time, even when they're called on it they seem to wiggle out some how.

I am (literally) right on the west coast so am mildly concerned as one should probably be at this point. What REALLY worries me is where this will develop over the next days/weeks. I'm on board with TheRedneck in that it can/will be utterly catastrophic for Japan and may become a moderate health risk for us here. BUT, my opinion is purely my own and I in no way purport to be anything close to an expert on this.

Thanks to all who are working hard to keep everyone updated and to TheRedneck for his sophisticated knowledge and level-headed commentary.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
www.chicagobreakingnews.com...

So its been setting off alarms at airports from incoming flights. Not probably high level, this is dust. But plutonium is in the mix. Mox fuel.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This guy on The Alex Jones Show reported an hour ago that his friends in Chiba City were experiencing radiation sickness symptoms: vomitting, blotches on skin, flu like symptoms. He said it's widespread in Chiba City.

If this is true then they were really lying about the levels of radiation. (I don't know if the guy was a hoaxer or not)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Bad news...

Helicopters supplied by Japan's military dumped only four loads of seawater, totaling about 30 tons, on the plant, before abandoning the effort Thursday morning, although officials said they would resume efforts when possible. Most of the water missed the reactors.

In another disappointment, officials of Tokyo Electric Power Co., which owns the plant, said that a new power line being strung to the plant from the country's electric grid would not be completed until Friday at the earliest. Officials had originally hoped to start connecting the new line Thursday afternoon.

The helicopters also took new pictures of the spent fuel pools on the roofs of the reactor buildings and have apparently confirmed fears that the pool at reactor No. 4 has boiled dry.

This article, just posted on the LA Times, also said they've increased the number of workers from 50 to 320. God bless and help those brave souls who took this mission on!

link   

1844: Japanese authorities have informed the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that engineers were able to lay an external grid power line cable to unit 2 of Fukushima nuclear plant, according to a statement on the IAEA website.The operation was completed at 0830 GMT.

bbc live

So if this was completed at 0830 GMT that is 11 hours ago, as the time here in the UK now is coming up to 19-15

So we can assume that for all these hours inbetween they have been trying to get power from the national grid to get the cables working...so why is is taking so long ?

link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
They are now reporting problems with the spent fuel pool in #2.

Additional information:
They cannot dump water on the spent fuel pool at #2 because the roof is still intact. They are focusing on trying to restore electricity the this unit first.
edit on 3/17/2011 by Erasurehead because: (no reason given)

I could be wrong, but if I'm remembering correctly wasn't #2 the one they had suspected to have been breached? If that is the case, will turning on the electricity even matter anymore?

link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
She just said that they are expecting to restore power to the number 2 reactor tomorrow( friday morning). The electrical systems were not damaged as bad or at all. If this was posted already, then sorry.
www.cnn.com.../3&hpt=T1

What they probably did was just bypass the installed power distribution system and wire new cables
directly to where it needs to go. It could work.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by buskey

I was expecting parts of Japan to be already affected from radiation from all I have herd. So far except the 20 km radius nothing special, don't get me wrong, that is good that nothing special is developing.

new topics

top topics

<< 181  182  183    185  186  187 >>

join