It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 179.htm
<< 176  177  178    180  181  182 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Military families, Embassies, and Non Essential personnel evacuating.

If this thread and video are correct, which they seem to be, then it looks like the US is extremely concerned.

From what I can tell, this means Tokyo and all US personnel on the island.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I missed that last line of your post... plutonium is very heavy. Even if it did manage to get airborne, it couldn't stay there long. I seriously doubt it could make it halfway across the Pacific, much less all the way to North America.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Is anyone able to give a rough estimate of how long (in days) it is likely to take for the water in the main two troubled spent-fuel ponds (3 and 4) to totally evaporate ? Or from another angle- roughly how many gallons are in the fuel pond and how many gallons per day will evaporate at various temps...? I understand the water is meant to be at 25 degrees and is double or triple that on most of them at the moment.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Military families, Embassies, and Non Essential personnel evacuating.

If this thread and video are correct, which they seem to be, then it looks like the US is extremely concerned.

From what I can tell, this means Tokyo and all US personnel on the island.

Appears this is confirmed. from bad to worse.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves
Just a heads up -

[12:35 p.m. ET Thursday, 1:35 a.m. Friday in Tokyo] U.S. President Barack Obama is expected to deliver a statement on Japan in the White House Rose Garden at 3:30 p.m. ET.

Source

The messiah is going to finally come down and speak to we the people!

AWESOME NEWS!!!

I think he has been in rio for a while, maybe he can give us some 411

Or 4/20 and then off for a round of golf.

Maybe he'll recap his March Madness picks for us as well.

link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

Obama has very important business to deal with. He was filling out his brackets and is gearing up for the annoucement of his NCAA tourney winner.

breaking news!! .... president obama announces final four picks for ncaa tournament
www.wral.com...

This is what our President is busy with !?!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think plutonium being heavier would fall out on the way. So its the particles that are the most dangerous, but even a cloud of them reading so many sv's would be spread out on the coast, and so you probably won't get readings even on a geiger counter, but they will enter the soil/water/food supply, and some will get breathed in.

But that isn't something we can actually plan for really. Just take lots of C, and things that detox heavy metals, etc etc

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
If this has been posted in this thread then please ignore ,

Radiation levels across Japan.

www.targetmap.com...

*Source thread www.abovetopsecret.com...*

link   
** Double post sorry **
edit on 17-3-2011 by ljonesyuk because: ** Double post sorry **

link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I remember when Obama went to India and the world was supposed to end. It didn't, hell I dont even think anything happened. Is it a scheduled trip or not? I will not hold my breath on this the president and the Rockefeller's are leaving so we are screwed thing. Sorry this is how I feel and is only my opinion.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Danger of Spent Fuel Outweighs Reactor Threat

If recriticality occurs, pouring on pure water could actually cause fission to take place even faster.

If recriticality takes place, the uranium starts to warm. If a lot of fission occurs, which may only happen in extreme cases, the uranium would melt through anything underneath it. If it encounters water as it descends, a steam explosion may then scatter the molten uranium.

At Daiichi, each assembly has either 64 large fuel rods or 81 slightly smaller fuel rods, depending on the vendor who supplied it. A typical fuel rod assembly has a total of roughly 380 pounds of uranium.

One big worry for Japanese officials is that reactor No. 3, the main target of the helicopters and water cannons on Thursday, uses a new and different fuel. It uses mixed oxides, or mox, which contains a mixture of uranium and plutonium, and can produce a more dangerous radioactive plume if scattered by fire or explosions.

According to Tokyo Electric, 32 of the 514 fuel rod assemblies in the storage pond at reactor No. 3 contain mox.

Perhaps this helps Redneck with his calculations of how much water to keep the storage pool cool.

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I believe it! Makeitso reported here a reading over the plants of 3782 mSv from one of the choppers. That is 3.782 Sv or 378 rems, enough to be lethal to a large percentage of those exposed!

Apparently the radiation readings are aloft (but not far enough to enter the Jet Stream, so nobody panic), meaning that a downdraft could drop them back to ground level about anywhere within a huge area. I think we now know why the US declared a 50-mi radius instead of Japan's 12-mi radius.

I thought the Japanese were technologically adept... but apparently their leaders aren't.

TheRedneck

edit on Thu Mar 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed makeitso's link

link   
reply to post by hillynilly

I don't know but in my opinion it is still worth noting that every channel that has been covering the news has stopped reporting and is now playing re-runs of comedy shows. The video is interesting too, because it shows some real human emotion and gives a sense for what people in Japan are thinking right now.

I've been following the news very closely and they have been reporting on it less and less on this disaster for the last couple of days, but at least they're finally responding to the concerns about the possibility of radiation blowing towards the U.S. and basicially denying the possibility of it being more than normal levels, even though I would say it's impossible to be sure of anything right now, especially with the lack of transparency and false assurance by the Japanese government right now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dr. Christopher Busby on Alex Jones (live now) today, I would recommend everyone tune in for his segment, whether you like Alex or not. Listen to the replay if you missed the live stream.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by STL0913

I don't know but in my opinion it is still worth noting that every channel that has been covering the news has stopped reporting and is now playing re-runs of comedy shows. The video is interesting too, because it shows some real human emotion and gives a sense for what people in Japan are thinking right now.

I've been following the news very closely and they have been reporting on it less and less on this disaster for the last couple of days, but at least they're finally responding to the concerns about the possibility of radiation blowing towards the U.S. and basicially denying the possibility of it being more than normal levels, even though I would say it's impossible to be sure of anything right now, especially with the lack of transparency and false assurance by the Japanese government right now.

Alright, another St. Louisan! (St. Charles here)

Anyway....

reuters:
The U.S. nuclear regulator is saying that basic physics suggests there will be no harm from Japanese radiation to the U.S. and its territories

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by STL0913

Yea, its called a media blackout. Chances our the government is probably doing some crazy stuff up there.

You have to understand Governments look at civilians just as that civilians, they do not think you can handle the truth, and should just leave it to the professionals.

I would say no news is'nt good news for people in Japan. The fact that they are playing stupid comedy game shows, is appalling, if I lived 100 miles south of a nuclear site where the reactors were oozing radioactive waste, and my media was not doing their job for the people, I would be pissed off, and sure as hell would not trust my government, and I would prob. stop paying my damn taxes!!!

That is sick thou, japanese tv channels playing price is right, while radiation is oozing towards them.

reminds me of the ignorance is bliss, one liner.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lardo5150

I searched Reuters, didn't find the article, link please?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

64 rods at 380 ponds of uranium each is about 12 tons. Uranium melts at 3000°C, so we're talking at least 3 million gallons of water if they are not hotter than that 3000°C melting point.

And under meltdown, they get a LOT hotter! Someone earlier mentioned a CNN report that estimated 10,000°C at the bottom of those reactor cores.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
www.allvoices.com...

Apparently UK has detected caesium radiation above UK from Japan so that 404 error on the site about the reading above Toronto makes sense now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Stars and Stripes also confirms.

Yep, the voluntary evacuation is underway, State Department personnel are headed to S. Korea today, and 18,000 to 25,000 per day can be evacuated over the next few days.

After that initial voluntary phase, I expect a full on mandatory evacuation. They are just easing into it to avoid panic and congestion.

new topics

top topics

<< 176  177  178    180  181  182 >>

join