It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 177.htm
<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unfortunately, this still doesn't tell us much. Full scale on that machine is 2.5 mR/Hr, so converted to Sv, that is 0.025 mSv/h or 25µSv/h.... still a very low dose. I would also have more faith in it if I had seen the spike occur, as the reading could have been due to the battery check being on (see the upper right of the meter face). That doesn't mean it is not an actual reading, of course, just one raised question.

Incidentally, I believe that is beta radiation being detected.

TheRedneck

edit on 3/17/2011 by TheRedneck because: math error

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ceekay

I apologize for the sexist remark. I should have said don't ever tell someone who is too hard-wired into the Matrix about SHTF scenarios and the truth behind this disaster.

I had a bad experience as well. On Saturday, I drove 80mph to the only store in the Dallas/FT Worth Metroplex that still had potassium iodide in stock. My girlfriend freaked out and started crying. She doesn't want to hear any of this...not even turn on the local news. I learned my lesson...I buy my canned food, my HAZMAT suit, and my ammunition in secret and just store it away. She's happy, and I feel better that I'm prepared.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I can't read those devices, however, surely that is the highest it reads.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I read some of the comments for that video & some there are stating that the setting was at a X0.1 . You can see the dial at the bottom. It goes by quick.

I'm taking that to mean that is a much more sensitive reading. So even a small amount of radiation would cause it to peg out.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

I got a screen capture from that iReport. This is the reading roughly sixty to seventy km due west from the nuclear plant. That thing is pegged.

ireport.cnn.com...
RedNeck,

Can you comment on this reading. How dangerous of a level is this showing?

Am I missing something -- the wind is blowing EAST, and that reading is 60 to 70 kilometers WEST of the plant?!?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
TheRedneck your comment on this video from this morning?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

The guy that posted that g-counter reading said the setting was on x10. I am not sure how to read these things. Maybe someone can chime in on what that setting means.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead

I got a screen capture from that iReport. This is the reading roughly sixty to seventy km due west from the nuclear plant. That thing is pegged.

ireport.cnn.com...

RedNeck,
Can you comment on this reading. How dangerous of a level is this showing?

Additional information: According to the person that posted this iReport the G-counter setting is at x10. Not sure what that means.

edit on 3/17/2011 by Erasurehead because: Add source link

I watched that too, the problem I had was not being able to see lower on the unit to determine what level it was set to. The video started to drop a bit but I couldn't tell, maybe someone else caught it. Under normal circumstances the video poster likely would have mentioned or showed the setting.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Come to think of that video, he is standing out in that stuff. He wouldn't be if it wasnt rigged up. Duh!
Scratch that one.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup
and from BBC

Professor Gerry Thomas, the director of the Chernobyl tissue bank from Imperial College London, says too much emphasis is being put on the nuclear issue. "I think we're getting an accurate picture as far as the radiological alarm is concerned. What concerns me most is that we're actually focusing on the wrong disaster. The real disaster is the tsunami and the number of people who've lost their lives that way. We're focusing on a disaster that isn't a disaster

www.bbc.co.uk...
Well, if the Prof "thinks we're getting an accurate picture," then that's good enough for me.

An accurate picture?

Notice that there is no data for Fukushima or Miyagi prefectures, they have been "under survey" for days now. We keep hearing about "low level" radiation since this began, but not a single solid instrument reading has been released from the area of the reactor, not one that I have found. Does anyone here have a real measurement from Fukushima? I've been searching for days for real numbers, haven't found any.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Sorry, just saw the x10 comment... multiply my above calcs by 10, then. 0.25mSv or 250µSv. Still not very high.

A lot of these things are just not built for high level radiation...

On another note, I just checked out United Nuclear and they are sold out on both KI pills and pocket Geiger counters. I should have bought some up Saturday and made a killing reselling them.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
What I'm still trying to determine is if for example, they're lying through their teeth, and something close to or greater than 1 sv is coming, how long does one stay inside with taped up doors? A week? Not to mention I'll be filling up my gas tank today, as not only do I have to pick up my 21 year old son who is MIA currently but expected back today or tomorrow, but also, I have been paying attention to the moon cycle, and the quake predictions, for this weekend. And I don't care what radiation is out there, if there is an indication the coast is being hit, we're 30 minutes from the coastal mountains, and we'll be heading for high ground. Also, the US coast seems to have several of those nuclear plants. But not without my oldest son!
edit on 17-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Yesterdays Official Readings? Have not found any newer yet.

Monitoring Post out of 20 Km Zone of Fukushima Dai-ichi NPP pdf.

Monitoring Readings

Monitoring Locations

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

If this really is at the edge of the evacuation zone to the WEST, then it is indeed very high! Considering the distance and the fact that the radiation is mostly travelling East. It may not be a dangerous level for brief exposure, but it is indicative of very high levels in other areas.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Come to think of that video, he is standing out in that stuff. He wouldn't be if it wasnt rigged up. Duh!
Scratch that one.

I am roughly sixty to seventy kilometers due west from the nuclear plants that the Japanese authorities are struggling so hard to control. I witnessed two military helicopters fly over. Now, I am watching those same helicopters dropping water and attempting to cool those plants on the in-dash television of my car. This is as close as I am able to get to the plant. The video shows the needle of my Bicron PGM slamming the right side of the meter. I was taught in specialized training for this trip that, if this happened, I was to flee the area.

Sorry for any spelling typos or grammar mistakes. It's hard to edit while fleeing and, simultaneously, using CNN APP.

Not good, folks, you can see the setting at the very beginning of the video, this man is being exposed to serious radiation, and he did flee, as quoted above.
Take the CPM's (over 2400) divide by 10, and you get the real reading, anything above 130 is dangerous, his reading appears to be >240CPM
serious s%^*t
edit on 3/17/2011 by defenestrator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
oops
edit on 17-3-2011 by premierepastimes because: too many windows open, wrong post

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That's the thing about radiation... it is not spread out evenly. There are pockets of higher radiation embedded within an area of mild to low radiation. It's a function of the many different types of radioactive particles that can exist. Each one has its own characteristics that determine how it will spread and through what means.

We need thorough, accurate readings taken over the entire area in some sort of grid fashion, but right now unverified snippets like this are all we've got.

Well, that and the fact that the US has declared a 50-mi quarantine radius. I doubt they would do that if there wasn't a reason.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Look heres the situation. The Rockefellers and Gates are in India, Rockefellers whole clan.

Obama heads to Brazil tomorrow.

Japan has asked Obama to block certain sites including youtube, pretending its to save military band width, so Obama has quickly drafted some new copyright crapola based on streaming intellectual property to cripple usage of media information, because we're not getting info from the news.

This all is extremely telling to the point that we're in danger, and they're lying.

For those of us who are taking the radiation seriously, I don't know how long we need to tape up the house for and stay inside (barring emergency exits and earthquakes of course).

Anyone have a rough guestimate on this?

I'm thinking of the basement now, it has no windows, but too many spiders.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Three days strictly inside after significant fallout.

Not so bad in US but why not be sure?

Edit: and problem is this stuff just keeps coming. Should be rad meter somewhere to tell the "weather" each day.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Styrge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Canada, unless something majorly drastic occurs, is not going to see exposure levels anywhere near 1 Sv. If you are exposed to that level of radiation for some time, barricading your house with tape isn't going to make much of a difference anyway. All tape will do is keep some of the particles out. The real danger comes from the gamma rays, which are released directly and through particle decay, and will pass right through the walls.

Japan may see 1 Sv levels or even much higher in areas, but those will be confined to Japan.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 174  175  176    178  179  180 >>

join