It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 175.htm
<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
From a member of the public at Reuters live feed :

I would like to note that I am a licensed professional nuclear engineer, and an NRC licensed senior reactor operator at a commercial nuclear power plant (previously). In my opinion, the chance of re-energizing the pumps is very high. I believe the electrical switchgear providing power to those pumps was severely damaged by the tsunami (in some cases yes, some no), but, provided they have brought the necessary spare switchgear and cabling, good electricians will be able to trace down the cables to an undamaged point at which they will be able to quickly re-energize them (say, six hours). I don't call myself an "expert", so call this an educated guess.

reuters live

It was around 6pm GMT yesterday reports were coming in about this new plan I think ? So that's around 20 hrs ago . Anyone heard anything about how much longer it is likely to be before we hear if it is working or not ?

I am skeptical it will work because of all the various damage .........

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I think I'm freaking my family out by telling them all the facts I've learned and explaining the worst case scenario, CNN just declared that spraying the plant's was a last ditch effort, I'm getting worried myself and I'm usually the calmest person in crazy situations
edit on 17-3-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenbullet56

Someone posted that CNN cable is saying that fallout to hit US tomorrow........can someone confirm?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

Someone posted that CNN cable is saying that fallout to hit US tomorrow........can someone confirm?

Yes, but the levels will be very low. I think this started with a NYT article...

Let me see if I can find it.

Edit to add:
www.nytimes.com...

A United Nations forecast of the possible movement of the radioactive plume coming from crippled Japanese reactors shows it churning across the Pacific, and touching the Aleutian Islands on Thursday before hitting Southern California late Friday.

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States, even if hints of it are ultimately detectable.

edit on 17-3-2011 by OneisOne because: Add article

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokenbullet56
I think I'm freaking my family out by telling them all the facts I've learned and explaining the worst case scenario, CNN just declared that spraying the plant's was a last ditch effort, I'm getting worried myself and I'm usually the calmest person in crazy situations

After day 3 I figured talking to my wife about it wasn't a good idea.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Yes I did see that article and posted it on the radiation thread……….
So now we have a plume of radiation that the experts have been saying all week could not happen hitting the shores of the US tomorrow…………..but of course it’s only a “low” level dose of radiation……….

edit on 17-3-2011 by Cloudsinthesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

My wife is 3 months pregnant - I'm not worrying her with this. She asks me what's going on (she's one of those people who doesn't watch news...) and I don't mention the radiation heading this way, even though the chances of any serious amounts are extremely slim anyway, in my opinion.

Plus even if I did mention it, she would say "have you been on that stupid conspiracy site again?" as she has done many times before

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The scary thing for me about radiation is that you don't know that it is there. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't own a geiger counter and I don't know anyone that does.
I will not trust the US govt to tell us the truth.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Don't ever speak to a female about SHTF scenarios or the globalists or the NWO or anything conspiracy. Just prepare, prepare, prepare and don't tell her what you're doing.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio

Originally posted by ethancoop

My wife is 3 months pregnant - I'm not worrying her with this. She asks me what's going on (she's one of those people who doesn't watch news...) and I don't mention the radiation heading this way, even though the chances of any serious amounts are extremely slim anyway, in my opinion.

Plus even if I did mention it, she would say "have you been on that stupid conspiracy site again?" as she has done many times before

Congrats man. Our baby is due in 2 weeks, I've been considering giving her a Japanese name but don't think the wife will go for it.
Yesterday my wife was having some contractions & I asked her if the baby was about to break containment. I should probably turn off the laptop & go do something else for a few days.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

From what I've read it could hit tomorrow. Around noon on I would think is likely. And to take precuations, we're not being told the truth.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by psychosilocybin

Hey that's a bit sexist! I'm female, and I spend half my life reading what's on these boards.

For me its the other way round, my partner (male) always gives me the 'your as mad a hatter' stare whenever I mention anything to him! "Nahhhhh the fallout or radiation won't travel this far" he tells me!

OK, well he won't want a spot in my shelter then will he, that means the dogs can bunk down instead!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by soundguy

My friends are now safe in Los Angeles. They left Tokyo yesterday. I spoke to them and they said that all of these attempts to cool with water cannons and chopers dumping water over the reactors is a last ditch effort. Nobody really believes that this will really accomplish anything but at this point they are desperate to try anything.

As far as restoring power, from what I have been told restoring power and starting the cooling pumps will only be good for the reactors that are not severely damaged. So even if the power is restored it will not end the crisis.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Curio

Yea my family is the same way, at first i tried to keep them informed but they said
I watch to much news and my wife thought I was a nutter when I tried to tell her radiation could reach the US
she said that I think everything is a conspiracy
now where would she get that idea

just want to thank everyone that is keeping us informed because without this thread we would not know what the hell is going on...the real story anywho.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Don't ever speak to a female about SHTF scenarios or the globalists or the NWO or anything conspiracy. Just prepare, prepare, prepare and don't tell her what you're doing.

OK, slightly off topic, but do you have any idea how many of us "females" are on this site, trying to know enough to keep our families safe? Trust me, there are many of us here.
------------
Ethancoop:

Yesterday my wife was having some contractions & I asked her if the baby was about to break containment. I should probably turn off the laptop & go do something else for a few days.

I would have loved to see her face when you asked her about the baby's containment. Priceless

------------
I woke up this morning, and turned on the news, and I'm hearing nothing different than last night. How can this not be progressing in either direction? They're still just spraying water from a truck?

edit on 17-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

“Radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures,” U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Chairman Gregory Jaczko told a congressional panel in Washington yesterday. ....

Radiation is also leaking from spent fuel rods stored in a pool near reactors No. 3 and No. 4. Water in the pool has evaporated due to radioactive heat, exposing the uranium- containing rods to the atmosphere. The exposed rods can emit radiation and give out radioactive iodine and cesium, both of which are cancer-causing agents.

A worker at the edge of the pool would receive a fatal radiation dose in 16 seconds, said David Lochbaum, a nuclear physicist for the Union of Concerned Scientists and a former Nuclear Regulatory Commission safety instructor.

There are six reactors in the Fukushima complex, of which three were operating at the time of the earthquake.

No matter what other sources come on, this is very bad, and far worse than Chernobyl. I would be preparing from .1 sv (nothing almost) to 1.8 sv (high end of light radiation poisoning, probably a higher mortality than than the 1 that has 10% in 30 days).

They're obviously not telling the truth here.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Friday afternoon. Low levels of radiation could reach the West Coast of the US.
www.newser.com...

No need to panic. It will be very low levels and not dangerous. We all lived though Chernobyl and so far that released far more radiation around the globe then this disaster.

So far....

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't speak Japanese but this is a compelling video released by TEPCO taken from one of the helicopters dumping water on the reactor(s):

www.youtube.com...

edit on 17-3-2011 by JoeGuitar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Hey not all females are not clued up !!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Not much news since last night. There seems to be an effort to limit the flow of information. I am sure it has to do with the disagreement between Japan and US on how bad this really is.

new topics

top topics

<< 172  173  174    176  177  178 >>

join