It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 174.htm
<< 171  172  173    175  176  177 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I heard that there was a weird report on Russian TV yesterday evening (if I'm not mistaken) showing a reporter who went all the way to the gates of Fukushima Daichi (with a geiger counter in his hand) nobody stopped him.The geiger did show big radiation. But he was surprised that there are a lot of abandoned houses in that area and nobody was searching for victims there

Unfortunately I don't watch TV at all and can't comment it. I have a feeling that it was Fukushima-2 (they are always mixed up in the news), I wonder what the hell he forgot in evacuation area. I would really be surprised if he was near real Fukushima-1 and met a lot of people there

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Update 13.36 Upper Unit 2 is to see white steam, TEPCO says, manager of the NPP.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
TEPCO says water shots effective in cooling fuel pool as steam rose
Fukushima plant likely to be connected to external power line Thursday.: TEPCO

english.kyodonews.jp...

Two good news from TEPCO... let's hope they not lying

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Update 1:44 p.m. The temperature in the little pool of units 5 and 6 (which already had been eliminated in January and August) is 60 degrees Celsius (25 degrees is normal) and, in accordance Japan Atomic Industrial Forum. Authorities hope to put water in there today.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Radiation found on Japan passengers to Taiwan, S.Korea

About 25 passengers arriving in Taiwan from Japan were observed with levels of slightly higher exposure to radiation, a government official said on Thursday.

Authorities in South Korea had earlier reported unusually high radiation levels on three passengers arriving from Japan.

But eh, all is safe in Tokyo, right?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I hope this is true.....

______beforeitsnews/story/489/382/Japan_Nuclear_Crisis_Over.html

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Update 1:44 p.m. The temperature in the little pool of units 5 and 6 (which already had been eliminated in January and August) is 60 degrees Celsius (25 degrees is normal) and, in accordance Japan Atomic Industrial Forum. Authorities hope to put water in there today.

Sounds low to the others, water boils at 100 Degrees so its still far off

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

It would be nice if that was true, but I believe the story came from a site called Scarlet Whore.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Russia's Itar-Tass newswire repeats what Japanese newswires said earlier, regarding millisievert level measurements - last paragraph.

www.itar-tass.com/eng/level2.html?NewsID=16055497

No excess radiation in Primorsky Territory registered

17.03.2011, 12.31

(...)

Meanwhile, the Kyodo news agency reported that the radiation level remained unchanged at the troubled Fukushima-1 nuclear plant Thursday morning even after Self-Defence Force helicopters dropped tonnes of water onto the hardest-hit reactor there, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said. Two choppers dumped seawater onto the No 3 reactor four times shortly before 10 a.m., but the radiation level was unchanged past 10 a.m., the utility said. The level around the plant's quake-proof building at which workers are standing by has risen to about 3,000 microsievert per hour, it said. The level compares to 1,000 microsievert, or 1 millisievert, to which people can be safely exposed in one year. Defence Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said earlier in the day he had given the go-ahead for the helicopters to drop water as the radiation level was 4.13 millisievert per hour at an altitude of 1,000 feet and 87.7 millisievert at 300 feet.

(...)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
1:55 p.m. Update Work on the power required to power the regular cooling again to launch, will not until tomorrow (local time) results. Reported that the manager of TEPCO nuclear power plant according to Reuters.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Radiation found on Japan passengers to Taiwan, S.Korea

About 25 passengers arriving in Taiwan from Japan were observed with levels of slightly higher exposure to radiation, a government official said on Thursday.

Authorities in South Korea had earlier reported unusually high radiation levels on three passengers arriving from Japan.

But eh, all is safe in Tokyo, right?

# 1245: Steve Herman, Voice of America Bureau Chief tweets: "Got rad tested in Koriyama: My body 1500cpm, my boots 3000 cpm. Another reporter: 10,000 cpm on her shoes."
BBC

Nothing to see here all, move on go back to work, go shopping later, watch some TV and order pizza, everyone back in line including you safe japanese folks.

Elf

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

You realize that those reporters are going to die of unnatural causes, right?

What a disaster.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Satellite photo shows smoke emitted also from No. 2 reactor:
Water shots had no immediate effect on radiation levels:
english.kyodonews.jp...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
I know this may sound silly, but I had a small amount of sushi from a Japanese restaurant in NYC yesterday. I'm starting to wonder if it was safe.

How long does it take fresh fish to get from Japan to New York? ..Oh god, I never thought in a million years that I'd be asking that question!

Seriously dude? A little common sense is in order here.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Fresh report from JAIF here - www.jaif.or.jp... (PDF)

Status of nuclear power plants in Fukushima as of 22:00 March 17 (Estimated by JAIF)

Remarks - Immediate threat is damage of the fuels in the fuel pool outside the containment vessel at Unit-3 and Unit-4. To improve the situation of lack of water in the spent fuelpools at Unit-3 and Unit-4, Japan Self-Defense Force (JSDF) started operation for filling the pool with water in 09:48 of March 17. This operation is to drop a huge bucketof seawater from a helicopter. In addition, the police and JSDF implemented watering operation toward Unit-3 using their water cannon truck and fire engines in theevening. The effect of these operations is under evaluation.

Water Level of the Rector Pressure Vessel
#1 Around half of the Fuel
#2 Higher than half of the Fuel
#3 Around half of the Fuel
Pressure of the Reactor Pressure Vessel
#1 Stable
#2 Unknown (run out of battery)
#3 Stable
Fuel Integrity in the spent fuel pool
#3 Level Low, StartingWater Injection
#4 Level Low, Preparing Water InjectionDamage to Fuel Rods Suspected
#5 Pool Temp. Increasing
#6 Pool Temp. Increasing

edit on 17-3-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

The chances that the sushi you ate actually came from Japan is very minimal.

Probably came from a market/auction in the us.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Good morning everyone. I am catching up with the overnight events. I saw this news this morning.
The Canadian government is telling citizens to evacuate 80km around the plant.

Canada advises 80-km Japan evacuation zone

The federal government is warning Canadians in Japan to evacuate farther from the site of a potential nuclear meltdown.

www.breakingnews.ca...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
Breaking news on Sky TV saying that the water cannon cannot be used because of the high radiation levels, on japanese TV they are saying it is because the cannon can't reach

Sort of an admission, if a slippery one though... Water cannons can't reach b/c the radiation levels are too high within the cannon's scope of spray...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I will be glad when those with the info get back with us. Speaking of, welcome back EH, ever get through to your people?

For those with no clue. All they are doing now is posting disinfo, and out right lies to buy time until the weekend news dump. They repost old news, old video and confuse facts about one plant with another to keep everyone shaking their heads. The one thing they will not be able to cover up will be the first wave of dead. The next wave should be popping up anytime now and as sick as it sounds this will be the lucky ones. If you would like me to tell you some sweet little lies I would be happy too. I am going to guess you hear of the first "anomaly" from the island tip off of Alaska sometime today. I am sure it will not be a precursor of anything to come (sarcasm). Just an out of calibration instrument.

I have written a couple few safety manuals in my day. Was in the military in an Engineering Squadron, and we were tasked with keeping the war machine rolling in the worst case scenario. So I have been trained until the cows come home about this type of situation. As many have said low level explosion is local/regional problem, no fear for the wider populace IE: The U.S., rods burning off is a game changer, mox is a game changer. Anyone who claims to KNOW is at best deceiving you. I have followed this very closely and I am making my own calculations. If you hear about any erroneous readings in the Aleutians we may want to talk further. Till then lets just hope they get that power back up and running eh?

Remember the following when thinking about Government, the information flows from the top down with everyone towing the line. The average manager has far less info (and experience I imagine) than the reader of this thread. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, then walked away in disgust 10 years ago.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What's interesting to me from reading on forums other than ATS is that many people outside of this place tend to think that once power is restored this whole silly little thing is over and the news media can stop hyperventilating. I grant you that power being restored will be the first positive event that has happened in this entire sequence but to assume that one positive can outweigh all the negative seems a little hopeful to me.

To use a football analogy, it would be like being down 35-0 late in the 3rd, getting a first down and screaming WE WON!
edit on 17-3-2011 by ethancoop because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 171  172  173    175  176  177 >>

join