It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 168.htm
<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by Wookiep

I keep seeing steady readings of 20 CPM.

That's GREAT news, but from where are you getting this?? Are they *official* readings??

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

reply to post by Mr Tranny

Thank you both very much, it is a relief to know it is a non-harmful level.
I still wonder why it is higher there than in other prefectures. Geological source, perhaps?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

This link was posted by someone else here on ATS some time ago. ガイガーカウンタによる放射線量

edit on 17-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

6.24pm The Australian federal government has joined the US in urging its citizens within 80km of the Fukushima plant to evacuate, ignoring the advice from Japanese authorities to observe an exclusion zone of just 20km.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

That page makes little sense and by all means doesn't look *official* at all, but at least it's something! Earlier we had a page from someone who said they had a live feed of the radiation levels in Tokyo, but it was considered by some to be fake..as well as not accounting for the radiation coming from reactor 3 (plutonium) OR outdoor levels. THAT is why we need something that is proven to show ALL possible radiation spikes.
Thanks Tho!
edit on 17-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

You would have to have to look back at older data to see if it is an anomaly. But considering the circumstances, it would be safe to assume that the local area has a dusting of some radioactive particles from the reactor. Especially considering it has been snowing, and raining in the areas around Japan. As another poster mentioned the term “rain out” where you get radiation spikes at ground level, when it starts raining because of the rain cleaning the dust from the air.

If it snows, then a sensor located at ground level will show elevated levels because the dust cleaned out of the atmosphere will be locked in the snow, and if the snow is setting on the sensor, then it will show falsely high reading. (unless someone cleans the snow off the radiation detector)

On another note, you also get “rain out” effects under perfectly normal conditions because of the space dust in the upper atmosphere that is carried down to ground level with large rain storms. So, you will often get radiation spikes from radioactive space dust, when a large rain storm comes in after a long dry period.
edit on 17-3-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
This just came in on BBC

www.bbc.co.uk...

0740: A reminder that the British government is advising people against all non-essential travel to Tokyo and north-eastern Japan, and says those in Tokyo and to the north of Tokyo should consider leaving. If they can't get a seat on a commercial flight, they can register their interest in taking a flight chartered by the Foreign Office to take them to Hong Kong.

The UK is telling their people to get out of Tokyo and areas north of the city.

There hasnt really been much coming out the past few hours about the reactors. Are the 11 water cannons spraying down right now? Have they even made it there?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Sorry I thought everyone had that link here. Can't remember who posted it. And I really can't remember for certain if it is official. But I think it may have been

Oh and I can rememeber seeing the Tokyo spike that one day on this.

Site by a Dr. Ishikawa.

edit on 17-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

There hasnt really been much coming out the past few hours about the reactors.

Another frustrating and insane part of this whole ordeal. Rational individuals just_want_news. In a disaster like this they could get off their lazy asses and...I dunno...Report?? Now it seems, the MSM (in the USA at least) are all deciding to go to bed at 10:00pm MST. Journalism flat-out SUCKS these days. Some channels don't even have tickers anymore after hours. We get to watch repeats or stupid shows like "Red Eye'.

They've been doing this all year, during the Egypt crisis, New Zealand quake, you name it. Operation desert storm was worth having the journalists feeding news in 24x7! I guess things like Japan on the virge of complete collapse don't qualify.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
No new updates have been coming out of Japan, the only things we are getting are countries urging their citizens to get out of Tokyo & surrounding areas, and to avoid non-necessary travel to Japan.

It's clear that they still have not found a way to cool those reactors, and frankly I don't think they will.

I feel sorry for the Japanese people, they don't deserve this..but sadly that's the world we live in. Moving fault lines, natural catastrophes..etc.

Amid this chaos, there is no sign that there are beings from other planets here monitoring us, and there is no sign that there is a omnipotent being that watches out for us from some other dimension. We only have ourselves, we should do everything we can to help out.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Looks like there may be massive power problems in and around Tokyo soon

via Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp...

NEWS ADVISORY: Unpredictable massive blackout could occur in Tokyo area Thurs.: Kaieda (16:39)

NEWS ADVISORY: Gov't asks train operators to cut service to avoid Tokyo area blackout (16:40)

Will this have an affect the evacuations or updates coming from the area?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
According to Norwagian news 5 workers at the Fukushima Daiichi-power plant have died do to exposure to radiation. 20 people are supposed to be injured.

Ifølge TV2s reporter i Japan, Elin Sørsdahl, er fem arbeider ved Fukushima Daiichi-kraftverket i Japan omkommet

De skal ha mistet livet som følge av radioaktiv stråling. I tillegg skal 20 stykker være skadd

Sorry i only have this news in Norwagian so far.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Radiation level unchanged despite choppers dousing reactor

The radiation level remained unchanged at the troubled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant Thursday morning even after Self-Defense Force helicopters dropped tons of water onto the hardest-hit reactor there, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said.

The level around the plant's quake-proof building at which workers are standing by has risen to about 3,000 microsievert per hour, it said. The level compares to 1,000 microsievert, or 1 millisievert, to which people can be safely exposed in one year.

If I understand the above, radiation has been rising? Maybe im not reading this article correctly, since it does say "unchanged". Maybe they mean the levels havent gone down instead?

Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa said earlier in the day he had given the go-ahead for the helicopters to drop water as the radiation level was 4.13 millisievert per hour at an altitude of 1,000 feet and 87.7 millisievert at 300 feet.

The choppers actually did so at a height less than 300 feet, said SDF chief Ryoichi Oriki.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
How to cool the reactors...

During Chernobyl, they used LEAD... and it worked. But of course, some of the lead ended up in the atmosphere and Chernobyl people ended up with lead in their system. But everything else was not working... so it was the right choice.

Will they use lead today or will they say it's too bad for the environment? It would be quite ironic.

What about they put DU plating on some fire trucks and install some remote control tech on those trucks and go to pour water/coolant directly in the cores?
edit on 17-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by elouina

That page makes little sense and by all means doesn't look *official* at all, but at least it's something! Earlier we had a page from someone who said they had a live feed of the radiation levels in Tokyo, but it was considered by some to be fake..as well as not accounting for the radiation coming from reactor 3 (plutonium) OR outdoor levels. THAT is why we need something that is proven to show ALL possible radiation spikes.
Thanks Tho!

Here is the readings from a background radiation monitoring station in Wako Saitama Japan which borders Tokyo.

yesterday
www.riken.jp...
15th
www.riken.jp...

link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Television mainstream news media is as irrelevant and outdated as print media these days. Between ATS, Twitter, Facebook and various blogs/vlogs around the web these is no reason to ever use Tv for news anymore. With these social tools nowadays you not only get information as it happens worldwide 24/7, but you get it firsthand from those where the news is happening.

Hell, most of what you get from mainstream media is not only hours if not days old, they only rehash what others are already reporting on twitter, et.al.. Their sources are no different than ours. At least with social media you get the news and just the news. With mainstream media you have to deal with their ill-informed commentary and inane chatter.

Life is fluid and organic and so is news. The rigid structure if MSM is an unnatural forum for it and that had never been more apparent than these days. The social networks of the internet that we rely on these days are as fluid and flexible as our lives. Broadcast media is dead, it just doesn't know it yet.

edit on 3/17/2011 by dethduck because: General

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
When I saw this picture, I had to share it.

live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
posting again for more visibility

readings at millisievert level. dated from today(17th)

1st link was found here - page 156.

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread672665/pg156#pid10817958

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/78796.html

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110317x3.html
edit on 17-3-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
With regards to the issue of power, pumps and the basic failed logic since this disaster began...

I have been sitting here reviewing every detail I can remember, going over this thread, and a few others. There are times when I waver in my resolve; perhaps I am over reacting? Other times, I am convinced that this is about as serious as it gets. If anyone saw Rachel Maddow tonight on CNBC...well if you saw that show...let's just say the amount of spent nuclear fuel at that plant is ASTOUNDING as revealed on MSNBC.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I am perplexed a nuclear regulatory commission anywhere on this PLANET could have allowed literally 680 TONS of spent fuel in any location, particularly THIS location. And to be stored in such a manner...look at the facts, the design is OBSOLETE and frankly, fell way short in 1971 if anyone had taken the time to consider the possibilities.

I'm trying not to let my tin-foil hat show, but read between the lines...

Factor in several explosions, fires, all sorts of smoke and steam emanating from the crippled plant...Here is the first blast at reactor #1

www.youtube.com...

Did you notice the concussive upward arc, which appears as a white crescent? Are we supposed to believe that this blast spared the containment for the spent nuclear rods at reactor #1 ??? Ok, now read this...

"On Saturday, an explosion blew off the roof and upper walls of the building housing the facility's No. 1 reactor, stirring alarm over a possible major radiation release, although the government later said the explosion had not affected the reactor's core vessel and that only a small amount of radiation had been released."

"Government spokesman Yukio Edano, the Associated Press writes, "says the radiation around the plant did not rise after the blast — but instead is decreasing. He added that pressure in the reactor was also decreasing. Pressure and heat have been building at the nuclear reactor since an earthquake and tsunami Friday caused its cooling system to fail."

www.npr.org...

Oh really, PRESSURE DECREASED??? What a frickin miracle....thank god for that explosion...geez, it's great that the explosion didn't crack the reactor's containment to cause that divine intervention!!!

Here is the second blast...Did you notice the TONS of building parts that rise...oh, a few hundred feet, BEFORE free-falling back down onto the reactor??? SPLASH!!!! Ah, refreshing!!!!

www.guardian.co.uk...

Here is a diagram of the inside of the white cubed shaped containment buildings:

tylerbaird.com...

Notice where the spent rods are stored...on the top right, just above the dome shaped tip of the reactor containment. Notice that the shell of the building IS THE CONTAINMENT for the pools cooling the spent rods???

Have you seen these pictures???
insideireland.ie...

What IS MAKING all that SMOKE....What's in it???? Where's it heading???

I hope you see what I am getting at here...This was a level 7 incident from day one. They could, and can not possibly be giving honest radiation readings from that plant. It can not be possible that the concussion of the very first blast at #1 reactor did not send all that water submerging the spent rods housed there, into the four winds and thus exposing the rods.

Hence, you have just seen the biggest dog & pony show on the planet...there's been too much radiation for anyone, to do much of anything since the beginning.

What happens to the rods after exposure...well, read the thread!

Go ahead, refute everything I said...

Redneck, what do you think???
edit on 17-3-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2011 by odd1out because: posted in a hurry, fixing spelling, etc!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
So how long before the 50 heroes who are there die?

If the government is lying about the true levels of radiation at the plant, they would already be dead.... or will soon be.

But yeah, they are definitely lying about a lot here.

I just cannot believe that the freaking SOVIET UNION was more open about it then Japan. Crazy. (well not really but I'm pissed that they are not open about it, lives are at stake after all)
edit on 17-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 165  166  167    169  170  171 >>

join