It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 165.htm
<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would like to say that I do not wish to be a thread killer. I appreciate all of the information provided in this thread. The information on a nuclear meltdown on this thread is excellent. If I could S&F the op again I would. I have learned alot about this kind of situation and I will continue on with my quest for the truth.

P.S...If it is about to go down hard please post it. Maybe even u2u me..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Look at this......the Japanese Govt wants to block their population from popular websites:

______beforeitsnews/story/487/136/Japan_Requests_U.S._To_Block_Popular_Websites.html

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet.

US starts evacuating some Americans out of Japan

WASHINGTON – The United States on Wednesday authorized the first evacuations of Americans out of Japan, taking a tougher stand on the deepening nuclear crisis and warning U.S. citizens to defer all non-essential travel to any part of the country as unpredictable weather and wind conditions risked spreading radioactive contamination.

Senior State Department official Patrick Kennedy said chartered planes will be brought in to help private American citizens wishing to leave. People face less risk in southern Japan, but changing weather and wind conditions could raise radiation levels elsewhere in the coming days, he said.

White House spokesman Jay Carney sought to minimize any rift between the two allies, saying U.S. officials were making their recommendations based on their independent analysis of the data coming out of the region following Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I think the time has come for the Japanese Emperor to once again ask his men who is willing to sacrifice their life for the future of the country.

200-300 men sent in with every available tool and precaution with the understanding they probably wont be coming back.

its sad, but unfortunately time is running out for 'being careful'
edit on 16-3-2011 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

I like it.... I can see the Japanese Emperor now: "Here's your wrench, and your hammer, and your laser leveler, and oh yeah -- here's your goggles and a water hose. Now take precaution and go fight 600,000 rods facing meltdown. But be extra cautious with the MOX rods."
edit on 17-3-2011 by Yukitup because: spelling...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Part of me is wondering what the heck is going on over there. It's been hours since a substantial update, and its 3 pm over there. Usually they're updating everything, puffs of smoke, where they're spraying water. Nothing for quite awhile..
edit on 3/17/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

The information Zorgon linked from the wiki page is correct and in agreement with your source.

Take a second look. I believe you are confusing millisievert for sievert. 1000 millisievert (mSv) will make you sick a few days after your dose, 1000 sievert (Sv) will kill you in mid step.

From the wiki link...

Frequently used SI multiples are the millisievert(1 mSv = 10−3 Sv = 0.001 Sv)and microsievert (1 μSv = 10−6 Sv = 0.000001 Sv).
An older unit of the equivalent dose is the rem. In some fields and countries, the rem and millirem (abbreviated mrem) continue to be used along with Sv and mSv, causing confusion. Here are the conversion equivalences:
1 Sv = 1000 mSv (millisieverts)s)= 1,000,000 μSv (microsieverts) = 100 rem = 100,000 mrem (millirem)
1 mSv = 100 mrem = 0.1 rem
1 μSv = 0.1 mrem
1 rem = 0.01 Sv = 10 mSv
1 mrem = 0.00001 Sv = 0.01 mSv = 10 μSv

reply to post by zorgon

Current average limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year
US limit for volunteers averting major nuclear escalation: 500 mSv[5]
US limit for volunteers rescuing lives or preventing serious injuries: 1000 mSv

Recorded by the helicopters at 1000 feet: 1000 mSv

en.wikipedia.org...

reply to post by liejunkie01

If I may, a side note about Wikipedia...

While I am in agreement with your instructors rules regarding wiki being unacceptable as a research citation for a number of reasons, poor accuracy is not among them. Where people get in trouble with Wikipedia is they read the entry on airfoil (for example) and proceed to argue aerodynamic theory without having the associated education on math and physics to provide context.

For at a glance general information, Wikipedia is an excellent resource. Your not doing yourself any academic favors by assuming information from Wikipedia to be inferior to other internet sources as the reverse is much more likely to be true.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I have been wondering why we haven't heard more by now as well. What really sucks in this situation is whoever is in charge just can't be honest! People are 2nd guessing themselves wondering what they should do. I am sure some families and people will stay because they believe it's fine.. & who knows what is going to happen. If you ask me, I don't know how they are going to fix this. If they could have I believe it would of been done by now.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
My heart and prayers go out to the men who have stayed behind to man the reactors....I heard a son say his dad is in there and they have no food and conditions are bad,he said his dad knows this IS a death sentence for them....How tragic and just so so sad..Bless all of the people of Japan,may they feel the the Love of the world coming to them.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I can’t believe they are still talking about trying to find a power source!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Air lift a couple gas turbines in there and be done with it!!!!!!!!!

If you need enough fuel to run them for a while, without air lifts, anchor a tanker off shore and feed the gas turbines via a hose ran out to the tanker!!!!!!!!

Or find a ship that has adequate existing generation capabilities and anchor it off shore with a few thousand feet of cable running to the shoreline to feed their system.

This is frustrating. People can’t be that stupid!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Thank you for the information. It is confusing with the micro and milli and I have been looking into that. Damn metric system...lol..

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Kyodo

About 10,000 people headed to evacuation centers and health offices in Fukushima Prefecture on Wednesday to take screening tests for exposure to radiation in the wake of troubles at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant following the massive earthquake, prefectural officials said Thursday. The examinees included not only those who live around the power plant, operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., but also the survivors of the killer quake staying in evacuation centers, according to the officials. In the screening tests at 26 locations, radioactivity was detected from six people and their faces and hands were wiped, the authorities said. No one was asked to clean their whole body, they added.

Sigh. This means nothing about their radiation exposure. It sounds like they're merely running geigers over their bodies which will not detect how much radiation they're gotten cumulatively. It will only detect lingering particles. This is really sad that those people will now think everything's fine and they're in the clear.
edit on 17-3-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I agree the power issue was frustrating from the start. I've seen firsthand the semi trailers AT&T uses here in the states for disaster response. Those each produce up to 500kw. I can't believe japan didn't have anything like this. Even if the roads were blocked they could have airlifted the whole thing to the plant and sat it down in an opening. It just seems like such simple things were overlooked.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I think, in the end, we will find out that those in charge were not nearly as qualified as they made themselves out to be, and that corruption and nepotism got them their jobs and not competence.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
So what does 1,821 (MSV/HR) microsieverts work out to? Does it work out to the 10% risk of dying in a month? And somewhere I read that 1 ='s cancer developign at some point. Don't know if thats true.

There are unconfirmed things online, one is ham radio interception which is probably nothing, but if it were something what is the amount equal too?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I think the time has come for the Japanese Emperor to once again ask his men who is willing to sacrifice their life for the future of the country.

200-300 men sent in with every available tool and precaution with the understanding they probably wont be coming back.

Russia did that at Chernobyl for one plant they needed 500,000 soldiers to physically remove the material. 200-300 against 600,000 fuel rods is not going to cut it

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
So what does 1,821 (MSV/HR) microsieverts work out to? Does it work out to the 10% risk of dying in a month? And somewhere I read that 1 ='s cancer developign at some point. Don't know if thats true.

en.wikipedia.org...

There are unconfirmed things online, one is ham radio interception which is probably nothing, but if it were something what is the amount equal too?

before computers ham operators were every where. Best source of news the government had no control over. Got a linky?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I have to agree with you, my father is in the pump industry and we cannot understand why they have not flown in a few pumps and generators to help out with the situation. They could have had this setup a while ago and everything would be fine by now.

How hard can it be to cool down the reactors if they so close to the ocean, they must not be telling us something as im sure they would have put simple measures in place already to prevent this getting any worse

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

www.godlikeproductions.com...

As I said, this is unconfirmed online but, I like having best and worst case scenarios lined up.

What I was getting at was is 1 800 roughly equivalent to 1.8 on those charts?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
Part of me is wondering what the heck is going on over there. It's been hours since a substantial update, and its 3 pm over there. Usually they're updating everything, puffs of smoke, where they're spraying water. Nothing for quite awhile..
edit on 3/17/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

Military got involved. They don't do many PR updates.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

I live near Ellington AFB which is where presidents and NASA fly in and out of. There's also a wing of the Civilian Air Patrol (think coast guard to the air force) and they generally fly over the refineries here in Toxic(Texas) City not to mention coast guard flights and those going out to rigs in the gulf, so there is, I would say, normally a fair amount of air traffic.

But it does seem as though there are a few more frequent sounds of aircraft in the immediate vicinity, so much so that my younger kids have even mentioned it without me saying anything to them, so I know it's not just me.

And to show my tinfoil hat a bit, Wakenhut has been doing security for all of the chemical plants for a little while now.

top topics

<< 162  163  164    166  167  168 >>

join