It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 161.htm
<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NoMore11

That is some very interesting info. Thanks!

My only problem is Wikileaks as the only source it quotes. I was a huge supporter of Wikileaks, but nothing groundbreaking has ever come out of the whole situation, and promises broken.

Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how this develops from here out.

edit on 16-3-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: grammer

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD
reply to post by ethancoop

That'd be the spent fuel ponds but we all know how outta hand that can get...just look at the once safe no.4 reactor!

I'd still love to know why they can't simply pump water up to those... I mean before they let them blow up. Like with 5 & 6, why can't they run a hose up there from a portable pump being run off a portable generator & add water if the primary system is down? Why let it get to the point where all the water is gone? I'm just at a loss to figure out why this can't be accomplished. I'm sure now that the military is involved they'll figure out how to stabilize 5 & 6 if the morons at the power company didn't let it get too far gone.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
I'm confused about reactor's 5 & 6. Is it the reactors that are heating up or their spent fuel? All this time I've thought the only reactor problems are 1, 2 & 3 and that 4, 5 & 6 were spent fuel containment fuel problems since they weren't active.

I think 5 & 6 are being used purely to store spent fuel rods - and 4 was a working reactor but was off-line when the quake struck.

Is that right?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Fukushima nuclear plant owner falsified inspection records

THE Japanese owner of the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant falsified safety data and "dishonestly" tried to cover up problems there.

Tokyo Electric Power Co injected air into the containment vessel of Fukushima reactor No 1 to artificially “lower the leak rate”. When caught, the company expressed its “sincere apologies for conducting dishonest practices”.

This is a good corporation right? Nobody should go to jail over this right?

link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

If for no other reason..(not counting buildings half gone, containment breeches etc..) lack of water
To make the turbines turn they need water to turn to steam..if they had the water they could have cooled it down in the first place I would think

link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
80 something msv at 300 ft is not that horrible. It is not good, but please follow the facts.

Unless the facts are twisted, like you all seem to think.

Remember to deny ignorance people. There is alot of speculation going on here.

Current average limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year
US limit for volunteers averting major nuclear escalation: 500 mSv[5]
US limit for volunteers rescuing lives or preventing serious injuries: 1000 mSv

Recorded by the helicopters at 1000 feet: 1000 mSv

en.wikipedia.org...

We are all working hard to deny ignorance
edit on 16-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I have a question regarding the radiation. If any of us are injured do to their negligence can we all sue for damages from their power company or government! I'm not even kidding here! If enough of us can sue them, it would be like we all just stood up and said, we are not going to take your dirty nuke power anymore! This may even make other companies go "oh no"

Just wondering, no need to flame me for asking a question. And yes, I know it's a sad situation for Japans people. But running a 40+ year old reactor is dumb.

Also, dutchsence just posted a youtube video stating a big spike in radiation levels in California. let me know if you need a link.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theclutch
Also, dutchsence just posted a youtube video stating a big spike in radiation levels in California. let me know if you need a link.

False alarm, turns out Charlie Sheen had gas.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

Yes. Please provide a link to that video. Thanks.

link   
Do you personnally think that the situation in japan is at a critical point right now, that the nuclear reactors are out of control and perhaps, irreversible..? Will the entire world feel the impact it might do? Is there anything left we can do about it or will it be in a complete meltdown, and the only last chance we have is to bury it down with sand and concrete?

This is a question I sent to Michio Kaku, hoping an answer.
edit on 16-3-2011 by InS0MnI because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by liejunkie01
80 something msv at 300 ft is not that horrible. It is not good, but please follow the facts.

Unless the facts are twisted, like you all seem to think.

Remember to deny ignorance people. There is alot of speculation going on here.

Current average limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year
US limit for volunteers averting major nuclear escalation: 500 mSv[5]
US limit for volunteers rescuing lives or preventing serious injuries: 1000 mSv

Recorded by the helicopters at 1000 feet: 1000 mSv

en.wikipedia.org...

We are all working hard to deny ignorance
edit on 16-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

So, uhhh, exactly where is the safe level? Looks like they're saying it's okay to get brain, thyroid, lung and liver cancer as long as you save someone's brat.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Curio

No all are nuclear reactors with spent fuel ponds. There is also a shared pond for all 6 in a another building...

link   
dutchsinse video about california rad spike

Here is the link to the video on Rad spike in California. It doesn't have much info though, but I'll be keeping an eye on it anyways.

link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Maybe they have one of these?

L-1 (1961 – 1963) was an experimental reactor at the National Reactor Testing Station in Idaho. The reactor was designed to be very compact and used a closed-circuit gas turbine. It never got out of the testing phase and was abandoned after only a few hundred hours of operation.

Great for powering-up all those portable laser systems to take-out various "rampage" size monsters.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

If many of us got sick from this, and tried to sue, it would only end up being a payday for the lawyers. Millions of people would get a $250 check and you would have to accept that when entering the lawsuit. But the lawyers would make millions each.

IMO, lawsuits are the last thing we need to concern ourselves with. The safety of other people, and prevention of another incident should be more important.

link   

That's kind of tough. Apparently the insurance doesn't even cover tsunami's or quakes. The company is done after this.

link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Welcome back by the way. Hadn't see you posting anything in a few days?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Now the NYTimes is saying the fallout will reach Alaska and California.

Scientists Project Path of Radiation Plume

A United Nations forecast of the possible movement of the radioactive plume coming from crippled Japanese reactors shows it churning across the Pacific and touching the Aleutian Islands on Thursday before hitting Southern California late Friday.

Health and nuclear experts emphasize that radiation in the plume will be diluted as it travels and, at worst, would have extremely minor health consequences in the United States, even if hints of it are ultimately detectable. In a similar way, radiation from the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 spread around the globe and reached the West Coast of the United States in 10 days, its levels measurable but minuscule.

Which is very soon.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by InS0MnI

Well i tend to be optimistic most of the time, i think it will be a serious impact to the area but i don't think that Japan will become an inhospitable barren land, and the entire population will have to move somewhere else. I don't have any proof of this, just a gut feeling. I can't to anything to help and speculating about the end of the world does nothing but make people panic and freak out, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Actually,I believe their will be no one to sue,if these /when these Reactors go into "China Syndrome" melt down. Their Economy,and country will go financially,and so will the rest of the worlds. IMHO.

new topics

top topics

<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join