It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 159.htm
<< 156  157  158    160  161  162 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard
reply to post by zorgon

I have to agree with you. There's no place for millions of people to evacuate to. This is looking like a shelter-in-place deal no matter what happens. It's silly to even think about evacuating Tokyo. Like you said, it's the only place to put millions of people. If things get totally rad, they're going to have to work out how to get essential supplies to the millions sheltering in place. A logistical nightmare if there ever was one. If there hasn't been a run on groceries in urban Tokyo, I would think the next day or so we would see that. Better stock up on the duct tape too, while you're at it.

Bugging out in Japan means going for a walk in the park.

The difference between the environments of human populations tend to be over looked by the survivalist crowd. Unless you have a water ski, and a friendly place to land on the other side of the strait - there isn't anywhere to bug out TOO.

link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Hitoshura

Originally posted by mrbillshow
Not to be too late to the party, but can someone explain the difference between micro, milla and one plain old sievert?

Will add cpm to that too, still trying to work out the ustream counter...

CPM=Counts Per Minute

1 Sv = 1000 mSv (millisieverts) = 1,000,000 μSv (microsieverts) = 100 rem = 100,000 mrem (millirem)

Lifetime Dose Examples

Criterion for relocation after Chernobyl disaster: 350 mSv/lifetime

en.wikipedia.org...

Cheers, think I've got it now, am just tired so my brain isn't working too well.

link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I can't believe I am asking this just as much as I can't believe
they would be bold enough to start up the plant with a meltdown
in progress.

Okay for my question: What would happen if they were to start
the plant and how would this help prevent further meltdown?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Thanks, I think you may have saved my sanity there...

TheRedneck

Don't thank me yet! Still sounds a bit risky. Isn't "Daini" within the evacuation zone of the "Daiichi" disaster? What if something gets worse suddenly at "Daiichi"? Would they have to leave anything "running" in an unmonitored or unmanaged state fleeing "Daini"? or would they just camp-out there?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

All I know at this point is that military choppers were used to dump water and military personnel will be manning the water cannons when they arrive.

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Hitoshura

Please don't confuse the word diluted to mean everything is fine..
what ever gets here will be diluted, yes..It all depends on how much is released

100% strength at source...diluted to 50% here or whatever..does not insure safe

Agreed, still don't get why they aren't working out sea levels inbetween either. Hope things are ok later on anyway.

link   

Japan's Self-Defense Forces helicopters dropped water on the troubled No. 3 reactor of Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant on Thursday to prevent the reactor from releasing radioactive steam, the Kyodo news agency reported. A blast hit the Fukushima No. 3 reactor on Monday. Japanese officials said the blast might have damaged the containment vessel inside the reactor, which means radioactive material may be released from the reactor if fuel rods begin melting at high temperatures. Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said on Wednesday Fukushima's blast-hit units 1, 2 and 3 were being "successfully cooled" and radiation levels around the plant did not pose a health threat. The Japanese government earlier studied a plan to deploy Ground Self-Defense Force helicopters to spray water over the reactors, but the Defense Ministry said on Wednesday it had given up on the idea because of the high radiation level. Tokyo Electric Power Co., the plant's operator, reported on Thursday that radiation levels have slightly lowered around the reactor. The Japanese police are planning to use a water cannon truck on Thursday to attempt to cool a spent fuel rod pool at the Fukushima No. 4 reactor, Kyodo said. A fire broke out at the reactor on Wednesday, a day after it was hit by what appeared to be a hydrogen explosion.
MOSCOW, March 17 6:15 (Moscow time) (RIA Novosti)
en.rian.ru...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

I hope you're right but i lost the plot badly when they started dumping water off helicopters. It's a bit premature to panic quite yet but things do seem to be going from bad to worse and thats not just my imagination. Time will tell, it's mainly my concern for the Japanese public near the accident that's got me really concerned - I'm not sure if they're getting enough information and if their good nature and ordiliness is being used against them.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

I can't believe I am asking this just as much as I can't believe
they would be bold enough to start up the plant with a meltdown
in progress.

Okay for my question: What would happen if they were to start
the plant and how would this help prevent further meltdown?

Starting would not be possible. They might have cracked reactors, the almost certainly have one cracked containment structure & I'd guess half the usual systems are inoperable. Pumps would have to work, pipes would need to be leak free, turbines would have to function... aint gonna happen.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

It would give the heat someplace to go.
It would generate all the power needed to run everything.
Win win…..

Now that I think about it, I am surprised they haven’t already tried it.

That would be odd if all this resulted in them redesigning newer plants where they can self start as a safety measure if something like this did happen.

If the nuke plants there had the ability to self start while islanded from the outside world, then this whole thing may have been avoided.

You have lack of power in a place that is designed to produce power. The reason it can’t produce power is it is designed in a way that prevents it from coming on line unless there is an outside grid to tie to. Maybe that design constraint needs to bee looked at again.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopeforeveryone
reply to post by liejunkie01

I'm not sure if they're getting enough information and if their good nature and ordiliness is being used against them.

Probably, most other countries governments are like that with their people so it won't be a surprise if it's happening in Japan too.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Are the scientists still playing a role?

I don't mind scientists or engineers being deeply involved. I think it's really about cutting-out TEPCO management and corporate CYA bullsh_t. My experience, is when the going get's tough (in any corporate emergency), corporate ... eh "communications" get very P.C., and (worse) decisions start being run through the same legal/political-correctness/CYA process as the communications.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
A little assistance here, if possible.

Got a strange call from a former work collegue today. (March 16, 2011).

I've known this person for almost 20 years. She is as level-headed and practical as all get-out; her husband is a top-flight corporate attorney and a senior partner in his firm.

These are are solid people, in my estimation.

Which is why the call I got has me...curious/concerned.

It seems my friend has a contact in Japan (She wouldn't say where) who relayed some disturbing information (wouldn't say, specifically, what; but did mention that the info being given out about the MOX fuel, amoung other things, is way wrong)

She wouldn't go into specifics of any kind, but urged me to leave home NOW for, perhaps, Arizona (And me without a passport!), and plan to stay there for at least 72 hours; possibly permanently.

She said, that, in fact, she was flying her children (all minors under 12 yrs old, I believe) out of the state Tonight!

We both live in northern California.

I could hear the barely controlled fear in hear voice, and she seemed to be at first worried that her call would be monitored, then she decided that it didn't matter.

I don't know what to think at this point.

It's as if your sweet, very proper, old granny, who never misses church on Sunday and blushes when someone says "Damn", suddenly stripped down to her bra and panties and began pole-dancing!

I'm flumoxed!

Arizona won't help, if this turns out real bad one will have to get east of the Rockies.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Ok, that's acceptable. I was just worried that complete military intervention would be counterproductive without the scientists involved.

As a side note, my highest respect for the Japanese citizens for remaining calm and optimistic. Such courage is hard to muster, especially for an entire country.

link   
The way this is being handled, is beyond just no words can describe this. And I'm finally thinking with all the posturing thats being done. They seem to not be concerned with doing anything right. If they had, they would have been dumping sand and cement days ago, and now its buckets of water.

Who paid the leaders off to sell off the nation and spread so much radiation? The West/Rothchild's or China?

No one would act like this, so they must be paid off.

link   

Originally posted by autopat51
its hard to explain how i felt when i heard the military had taken over...it was like all my hopes had been drained from me...it really is over...welcome to the beginning.

It was the Russian military that sent in over 500,000 soldiers to clean up and cover Chernobly... ALL of those soldiers got too much exposure and had health issues and early deaths, but they got the job done.

Don't be too quick to write off the military
edit on 16-3-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That's my point, there's no place to go. Masses will have to shelter-in-place in Tokyo. Naturally, the military would have to be in charge of such an order and it comes down to martial law and huge logistical problems. But no, they aren't about to 'bug out' en masse because there's no place to go to.

link   
Looks like the police personnel are getting prepped for the water cannons: This from BBC news:

0330: The police manning those water cannons are donning protective gear right now in preparation for their attempt to fill the spent fuel storage pool at Reactor 4. The cannon are thought to be strong enough to allow crews to remain a safe distance from the plant.
BBC News

link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Probably nothing. The control rods are probably jammed inside a melted mass of uranium and won't move. If they did move, though, if the meltdown was minor... restart = remove control rods.

Just the idiocy of thinking you can restart the plant after even a partial meltdown... in the first place, that's against every rule in the book by any nuclear regulatory agency, and in the second place it shows a complete and total ignorance of nuclear theory!

But then again, they just dumped 4 helicopter loads of water, three of which missed according to CNN, on the MOX plant with a known containment breach after days and seemed very proud they had fixed the problem... and they are going to use water cannons just to make sure...

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 156  157  158    160  161  162 >>

join