It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 152.htm
<< 149  150  151    153  154  155 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker
reply to post by RickyD

I am very puzzled by the behavior of the masses in Japan. They are being praised for keeping calm, but fight-or-flight reaction is part of human survival, and they don't seem to have this.

I agree with you. I would do whatever I had to in order to get to safety. Self-preservation is a basic instinct.

Think The People's Temple...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
81,000+ gallons of water per ton of uranium per 1000°C temperature drop needed. They're gonna need a lot more choppers...

Someone explain to me why they can't use those same Chinooks to drop in generators, large pumps & hoses? Why couldn't they do that days ago?

link   
reply to post by Michelle129th

I watched the water dumps live on NHK. The water spread out and did not end up near the reactor...

link   
200 fly-overs x 7.5 tons = 1500 tons of water [this is total amount needed per NKH]

fly-over every two minutes = 30/hour = 720/day [this is the frequency of the missions earlier on NKH]

estimate 1 ton out of 7.5 tons dropped falls usefully on target
[given the high altitude and wind dispersion (and ignoring that almost all will vaporize immediately, at least at first]

720 fly-overs/day x 1 ton water = 720 tons of water

This assumes 24 hours per day, but is far short of 1500 tons. And only 40 minutes/helicopter/day is said to be possible. This is not promising on the surface.

A better calculation to put this in perspective might be how much heat is extracted from the spent fuel rods by vaporizing a ton of water, how quickly the spent fuel recovers heat afterward, and how many tons would have to be cycled over the spent fuel to reach the desired cool temperature. Anyone with the relevant data on seawater and spent fuel rods might make that calculation. I'm doubtful that the result will cheer us. There are a lot of factors I'm ignoring, but I would guess that on balance the omitted factors would not help greatly. Rather the opposite. The water cannon doesn't seem likely to fill the gap, but we don't have data on its capabilities.

Mathematics awards this round to the pessimists, unless the estimates and assumptions are way off.

The reasonable best case at this point would seem to be somehow sealing off the site without an explosion and catastrophic radiation release. Estimates of thousands of years of uninhabitability are likely too pessimistic. Someone will probably figure out how to decontaminate the site with nano-machines in a hundred years or so.

Excellent discussion and signal/noise ratio here.

link   
reply to post by Seek_Truth

To be honest, I don't know what they are trying to do.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

where do i sign up

[*SNIP*]

id risk my life instead of godzilla

Mod edit: Removed member's phone number. Please do not post personal contact information. Thank you.

edit on 3/16/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xfooln

nothing beats good ole math...making you sad and anxious since grade school.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

I think they have the pumps and generators on-site, it looks like they ran out of fuel..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Because they just arrived with the US assistance forces.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Because they just arrived with the US assistance forces.

TheRedneck

CNN saying they are Japanese military.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

I was thinking the same thing about the people not leaving.

Maybe the situation from the quake and tsunami makes it impossibility -, too much debris, roads washed out, maybe they just don't know what direction to go. Remember they don't have communications, at least not often if they are not at least in their homes or a shelter. Its cold, they are weak and hungry and there are many elderly. And perhaps they trust TPTB to tell them the truth and let them know when its time to leave.

For those that can leave I certainly think they should be going now and quickly!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This was just posted on BBC live blog... is it just me or does it seem like everything they're doing on the water spray concept is just pathetically lame?...

"Water spraying operations have been temporaily suspended and helicopters have left the area of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, NHK reports. A Tokyo police unit is set to use water spray vehicles to continue cooling operations. The Japanese defence minister is about to give an update on how the water drops went."

Yeah, well obviously it didn't go too well.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So apparently on Anderson Cooper 360, they just reported that water is falling and pressure is rising in Reactor Bay 5...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
0209 : The power supply to the stricken Japanese nuclear plant could partially resume in the afternoon, the Kyodo agency reports

0201: Water spraying operations have been temporaily suspended and helicopters have left the area of the Fukushima Daiichi plant, NHK reports. A Tokyo police unit is set to use water spray vehicles to continue cooling operations. The Japanese defence minister is about to give an update on how the water drops went.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Oh, sorry.... I was thinking they were American for some reason.

In that case, I'll add my voice to Ethan's!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You cannot compare Japanese mentality with American Angst, it really troubles me, they are taught since childhood to be very concise and responsible of their actions, they uphold the other above the self, they dishonor oneself by dishonoring the other, thus they keep cool and asses their options, many are of course leaving, but for the majority it will not be an option.

Now extrapolating this on American soil, of course there will be some heroes that will stay, but according to the majority here, lone wolves would be roaming the countryside killing you for their survival, with no regards towards humanity or kinship, just every man for itself, well, thats what happens when you believe entertainment is actually reality.

true life is a random act of chaos that seems orderly, we haven't got our lives bought, we haven't booked our deaths.

link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Maybe mixed messages are confusing people. Some companies have pulled their employees out of Tokyo, while some are still there. I just found out today that the employees from my company in Tokyo are working from home because the building they were working in is no longer structurally sound. But still, the request to have the workers leave Tokyo have not been made...yet.

Maybe this will change tomorrow. I personally would not wait for word from the government or my bosses.

I remember the lies told about Ground Zero during 9-11. They said it was safe to go down there. It wasn't.

link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'm sure people know the basic north south east west direction and where they are located. I have climed up mountains and over some pretty hairy terrain. From the pics and video I've seen I would have hit the north western coast by about today on foot. I probably wouldn't sleep till day 2 and even then it would be short. If I could do it any person 12-40 years old probably could. If I had to carry people in my family I would might take longer but you could bet I'd be walkin!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Was looking at the ustream geiger counter page and wondering how normal or not the reading is? What does 0000,023.71cpm mean? Normal? And if so, what level on that reading would be dangerous? Thanks if anyone can help anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
My girlfriend is Japanese and since Sunday we have been urging her family members in and around Tokyo to bug out. They won't budge, don't believe what she tells them and think the government is telling them the complete truth and will take care of them.

In fact, I think they now believe Masai (GF) to be the kook of the family...

new topics

top topics

<< 149  150  151    153  154  155 >>

join