It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 151.htm
<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm curious, after the spent fuel pools run dry, how long would it take before we start to see problems? I only ask because im confused. Apparently the pools dried out almost five hours ago, but yet nothing substantial has happened. (fire, smoke clouds, etc..)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by windwaker

Could you tell us if the geiger counter you refer to is measuring just gamma or alpha radiation - as this may become important in the event of plutonium (dust) release from fires/plumes from the MOX fuel...?

I have no idea about how Geiger counters work, and the stream owner has no details. Most of the page is in Japanese. Search for user hiroshi_shinji at ustream.tv. We may have to ask him.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The stock market posts should probably be redirected to Projectvxn's Thread about just that to maintain the integrity of this thread. That said, posters need to remain calm, cool, and collected and stop sniping at each other since that is less than productive and derails the thread. If you disagree with a poster's posts, alert on them and keep it to yourself and move on. Stop bringing the disagreements here. Those of us actually patient enough to read this thread want to do it without reading that stuff. Thanks.

ETA want to change something here. I don't mean alert on a post just because you disagree with it. That is not what ATS is about. Poor choice of wording from me. I mean, if you feel a post is disruptive or off topic, then alert on it. Disagreeing on viewpoints and civilly talking it out is how truth and common ground are reached.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Ceriddwen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would would say that it is possible that something unknown at the moment may of occurred approximately 55 mins ago although extremely unreliable for the first time there has been a short break in Geiger Counter readings in Tokyo following by a short sharp spike that went off the scale before readings returned to safe levels let hope it was moved or something simple occurred as can happen dust from a t.v or lint from a dryer can make levels of 20cpm rise to 1200cpm for example.

With the up-most respect as now is not the time
I now make my pledge to the people of Japan for the heroes, the deceased and all that may remain unharmed regardless of what ever future events unfold the crimes(if any) committed against the people of japan will not get swept under the carpet. my pledge will be posted here for the sake of history to mark a timeline at the last moment for all to see and investigate at a later date as now is not the time.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rancher1
CNBC says problems being fixed right now,, water flowing electric turned back on.. worst is over.. finally!!!

Just a little perspective if I may, CNBC is, was owned by GE, now you have 1 guess to name the company that made major components of said reactor.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Man those helos only lasted 15 min,, Nice, these guys can't catch a break..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Hey TheRedneck
When you did your research on the cladding for the spent fuel rods..did you see anything about nitrogen being bad?
Looking at the M.S.D.S. on zirconium alloy..does not bode well for using liquid nitrogen from what I see..

Trying to do research on the cladding type used back in Chernobyl..if I remember someone posted the use of nitrogen back then..was looking to see if that's an option here.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by RickyD

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Originally posted by RickyD
To all those thinking this is gonna be fixed with electric lines your soooo wrong. Once they restore power they must then figure out what's broken and looking at the pics it's a lot. Then they have to fix all that broken equipment like gauges controls pumps ect. After that they have to cool spent fuel ponds and get the whole site ready to be sealed off because if the reactors are breached they can't really cool them so well water goes in but comes right back out as steam...all this while extremely dangerous radiation levels are bombarding them. It's such a mess now I'm not sure how this is gonna end or how long it will take to end it!

The one thing a power line does for them is it does give than an external power source to use with any new equipment they bring in.

I believe they are grasping at straws now, but they DO need power if they are going to attempt to do just about anything.

Agreed and yes to get anywhere they need power but this line is not the fix...it's the very tip of the fix iceberg if ya know what I mean. I just hate seeing people grasp on false hope of a quick fix. Zorgon is right watch that video and see what went into sealing off one reactor with power and infrastructure and 500,000 soldiers it's a serious undertaking with a short timetable to get it done. I just don't see how it's possible to get it done in time. If this thing actually goes full meltdown and blows sky high it will get even harder!

Right now it has nothing to do with stopping anything. Truthfully, the chances of stopping anything became almost nill when the first explosion occurred.

Right now, this is about getting as many people out as possible. The reactors are breached. Even if you get cooling systems operational (which will require bringing in all new pumps and machinery-they have all been doused in thousands of gallons of saltwater, remember), anything you pump in will not stay there all that long.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
RedNeck:

Do you think they are trying to cool the reactors with water from helo's?

Or are they dropping water (or some other chem) above the reactors in an attempt to prevent the wind or atmosphere spreading rad?

Thank you for your continued and very logical input to this thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by asset921vector4

Did the reading literally just spike to 1200 cpm from 20 cpm? I would think 1200 cpm is dangerous even if exposed for only a couple of seconds.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Kinda been feeling that way since the 3rd explosion...the way I see it they have been trying the same tactic and failing with it over and over and over and over again. So yea I guess I'm with ya on that one too. All I can say is if I was in Japan right now I would do anything I could down to walking as far away as I could! I hike as much as I can and 15-20mi in a day is not unheard of. I'd die trying to get out or I'd get out!

ETA: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein
edit on 16-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwaker

Did the reading literally just spike to 1200 cpm from 20 cpm? I would think 1200 cpm is dangerous even if exposed for only a couple of seconds.

Bro that 1200 CPM does not sound good, Is that real bad..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just an aside comment... about 8 or 9 years ago there was what they call a "tabletop" FEMA exercise in NYC to explore how prepared they were for a "dirty bomb" scenario. What they found was that responders had to enter the danger zone radius in the nuke protective suits, then rotate out after a certain time limit, and then the suits would have to be destroyed because they couldn't scrub them and reuse them. The next "echelon" wave of responders would go in and the cycle would repeat over and over until the situation was stabilized. Here's the punch line of what they found out... there weren't enough nuke suits to continue the operation for as long as was needed. They ran out of suits.

Fast forward to this situation in Japan. If the worst comes to pass and they have to evacuate Tokyo and all towns north of it, how are they going to come up with that many protective suits? Shelter in place is the only option, so now you've got untold millions of people sheltering in place and no practical way to get food and water to them.

I think this is the kind of scenario the authorities may need to figure out if the danger zone radius has to be extended to include Tokyo. I hope that's not the case, but the news today has not been good.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
8:24 PM EDT - Tokyo Electric says it is getting ready to inject water into reactor No.3 at Fukushima Daiichi

-Reuters

hmm..

inject water? what have they been doing to this point?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

what did it spike to?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

I am very puzzled by the behavior of the masses in Japan. They are being praised for keeping calm, but fight-or-flight reaction is part of human survival, and they don't seem to have this.

I agree with you. I would do whatever I had to in order to get to safety. Self-preservation is a basic instinct.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Guess you could chalk it up to culture+fluoride+chemtrails+all the other things that screw up you natural instincts=no flight or fight!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard
Just an aside comment... about 8 or 9 years ago there was what they call a "tabletop" FEMA exercise in NYC to explore how prepared they were for a "dirty bomb" scenario. What they found was that responders had to enter the danger zone radius in the nuke protective suits, then rotate out after a certain time limit, and then the suits would have to be destroyed because they couldn't scrub them and reuse them. The next "echelon" wave of responders would go in and the cycle would repeat over and over until the situation was stabilized. Here's the punch line of what they found out... there weren't enough nuke suits to continue the operation for as long as was needed. They ran out of suits.

Fast forward to this situation in Japan. If the worst comes to pass and they have to evacuate Tokyo and all towns north of it, how are they going to come up with that many protective suits? Shelter in place is the only option, so now you've got untold millions of people sheltering in place and no practical way to get food and water to them.

I think this is the kind of scenario the authorities may need to figure out if the danger zone radius has to be extended to include Tokyo. I hope that's not the case, but the news today has not been good.

I think they got a number in their head and when the geiger hits it, they start evac. But at least 24 hours prior to armageddon.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

No hazardous reactions between zirconium and nitrogen. The result is zirconium nitride, used to coat industrial drill bits and cutting tools.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I have been watching CNN off and on today. The way I see it, anything they say take the 'may' or 'maybe' or 'could' out of what they are saying & thats whats probably going to happen. So far that has been the way it's going...

top topics

<< 148  149  150    152  153  154 >>

join