It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 15.htm
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
@ Lilfox I too have Terra-p and a DRSB-01 the latter being a more military model and more sensitive.

In regards to Chornobil liquid nitrogen was never used underneath the reactor. When the stalkers (military personel given the task of mapping radiation pockets over the area) gained access to the lower chambers underneath the reactor they found that the melted slag did penetrate the concrete.

Those liquidators were hero's

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The maximum credible accident happened at the fukushima 1 nuclear power plant

The Japanese authority for nuclear safety now officially presumes that a meltdown in Fukushima Daii-chi happened.
(German source article)
edit on 12-3-2011 by Fenrin because: corrected Japanese govenrment to nuclear safety authority

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Also as a side note there was a website that monitors radiation over the uk if anyone knows what is was can you maybe post a link?

And I was wondering perhaps we should get a thread going just for info about the reactor itself covering wind direction, levels of radiation etc?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

NHK television and Jiji news agency say the outer structure of the building that houses the reactor appears to have blown off, but nuclear experts say this does not necessarily mean the nuclear reactor has been breached.

Earlier the operator released what it said was a tiny amount of radioactive steam to reduce the pressure and the danger was minimal because tens of thousands of people had already been evacuated from the vicinity.

Japanese nuclear safety agency officials believe the explosion has caused no serious damage to the container of the unstable nuclear reactor.

The officials made the comment after examining the latest radiation data monitored around the nuclear power plant.

Tokyo Electric later confirmed the reactor's inner container sustained no damage in the explosion.

Japan's government earlier confirmed radiation leaked from the power plant after Saturday's explosion, which followed a series of large tremors.

But Japan's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, later said radiation levels near the Fukushima plant had fallen after the blast.

A nuclear industry official says he believes the blast was due to hydrogen igniting, and may not pose a further threat.

"It is obviously an hydrogen explosion... due to hydrogen igniting," Ian Hore-Lacy, communications director at the World Nuclear Association, a London-based industry body, said.

"If the hydrogen has ignited, then it is gone, it doesn't pose any further threat."

www.abc.net.au...

Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
Could the fallout affect our crops? animals and insects?
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, this is just like nothing before.
I'm literally freakin out. If our crops were to fail, we wouldn't be the only ones affected.
In other words, a great famine?
Not fearmongering, just really scared right now.

Its not a good situation at all, but its not the apocalypse. The effects will largely be limited to the local region. I'm sure the media will have everyone in a panic by tracking the 'radioactive dust cloud of doom', but I wouldn't lose sleep over the potential for a global catastrophe. If we survived about 500 above-ground nuclear weapons tests during the Cold War, we can survive a single meltdown.

Its a disaster for northern Japan, without a doubt, but the rest of us will be fine.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ctankep

I have a calibrated CDV-715 for more accurate testing, the terra-p is a great pocket model and has an alarm, which is what I wanted (The dosimeter is handy as well)

I only need to know when to run and how far, lethal and lethal +/- 5% means little to me

As for the liquidators.. they deserve medals from every nation on earth for what they did.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Meanwhile, in redneckland :

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyTarass

I've never seen so much ignorance or bigotry in my life. It's truly sickening.
edit on 12/3/2011 by diamount because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

My brain stopped for 1 minute.
I know the world is filled with stupid people but my god those guys take the cake.
And they wonder why the rest of the world hates them....

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
unit : FUKUSHIMA DAIICHI-1
General data
Type: BWR
Boiling Water Reactor
Capacity Net: 439 MW
Gross Net: 460 MW
Operator: TEPCO
NSSS Supplier: GE

Location of the unit
Address: 22 KITAHARA, OTTOZAWA, OHKUMA-MACHI, FUTABA-GUN, FUKUSHIMA-PREF. 979-13 JAPAN
Latitude: 37 : 25 : 0 : N
Longitude: 141 : 2 : 0 : E

Important dates:
Construction Start: 7.1967
Grid connection: 11.1970
First criticality: 10.1970
Commercial operation: 3.1971
Expected shutdown date: 3.2011

SOURCE: www.icjt.org...

edit on 12-3-2011 by ckno1 because: Added Source

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Was there any really need to Quote Bobbys post twice? It was quite massive... And yes people are indeed very very weird.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ckno1

They are going to pump the reactor full of sea-water and boric acid (a neutron poison). It also had an explosion directly above the containment vessel. I think it's obvious that it will never operate again...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by xSeraphim

Reading those FB comments, got me angry. Forgive them programming at its best here. I am almost heartbroken over the comments, damn. I bet half of them play Call Of Duty a little to much

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Omg ..those facebook comments .... who brainwashed those people ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by xSeraphim

man, thats an eye opener, i thought we had evolved since then, i suggest these people who post these comments listen to John Lennon ...Imagine
edit on 12-3-2011 by scratcher because: reply was to BobbyTarass S***

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
reply to post by ckno1

I think it's obvious that it will never operate again...

Actually its quite possible they will continue to opperate the remaining reactors, especially now that they will be down in production. Chernobyls remaining reactors were only only closed down in 2000...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

img41.imageshack.us...

And after that, they say that French are the most egocentric people of the world ...

This is disheartening. Infuriating.

Also, more on the subject : if there is any superior force that could help Japan, please, help ...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Oopz, There goes another aftershock!

Wonder what that might cause?

Earthquake Details This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 6.4

Date-Time Saturday, March 12, 2011 at 13:15:41 UTC Saturday,
March 12, 2011 at 10:15:41 PM at epicenter Location 37.261°N, 141.175°E Depth 37.5 km (23.3 miles)
Region NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 35 km (21 miles) NE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan 73 km (45 miles) ESE of Koriyama, Honshu, Japan 84 km (52 miles) SE of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan 217 km (134 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan

Source: earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 12-3-2011 by wackowillie because: Add

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BobbyTarass

I do not even have words to describe what I am feeling reading those Facebook comments. I guess I should not be shocked, those comments probably do represent the majority in the US. Contrary to what most people will say, the majority are weak minded, uninformed sheep.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Omg ..those facebook comments .... who brainwashed those people ?

Either trolls, or just are truly ignorant hateful individuals.

(and unfortunately I have seen it said that Japan doesn't deserve help due to the fact they are not Christian)

edit on 12-3-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join