It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 149.htm
<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spark9576

Exactly what i was thinking. Looks like most of the water is getting blown away from anywhere near the reactors. Any water that does get into it will be nothing more than a little shower which would likely turn to steam instantly. The Choppers need to get lower, but then the Radiation in that location could be astronomical. There is NO WAY they will be able to refill the tanks this way. Especially if they are cracked. Seems it could be another attempt to lift morale. Not goign to do a thing but it may make people feel more at ease.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck - I agree completely. This whole water drop operation is like using the "spary" function on a hose to try and cool down a burning hot grill...
edit on 3/16/2011 by spark9576 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
looks like the helicopter operations have been suspended now ....
I would guess because of the dosages? Poor guys

Nhk

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Still seeing nothing about the claim Rancher made of "electricity being restored and the pumps being back on." I'm calling BS, and reminding everyone not to believe a d*mn thing until you see it in print for yourself. Too much trolling going on, and it's BS with such an emergency going on.

What a joke.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

It was a post from earlier in the thread, also seen it reported on the BBC live report. I don't know enough about nuclear reactors to really know what i'm on about but the efforts to halt the incident don't seem to be going so well. One disadvantage the Japanese have over the old soviet state is thay can't really order people in at great danger to themselves. I assume they're relying on volunteers, so 10/10 for heroism for those guys.

link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
looks like the helicopter operations have been suspended now ....
I would guess because of the dosages? Poor guys

Nhk

They will replace pilots now

link   

Originally posted by rancher1

Originally posted by Hugues de Payens

Originally posted by rancher1
CNBC says problems being fixed right now,, water flowing electric turned back on.. worst is over.. finally!!!

Hope I'm wrong but this sentiment may be a bit optimistic at this point.

Here it is live,, www.livestation.com... Looks like its working so far.. YES!!!

Provide a link or video for this.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Yup, BBC is saying theyre gone now.

www.bbc.co.uk...

0118: That's four loads of water dropped - NHK.

0121: The helicopters are gone now, in order to minimise the crews' exposure to radiation - NHK.

Only 4 loads. Must be extreme amounts of radiation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I would think that if the workers constantly pumping sea water in for the past few days didn't cool the reactors down, this is too little too late. They were saying on NHK that the choppers will do 40 minute "runs" and then break and also have to refill with sea water after every pass. It seems to me that they will never be able to get a good amount of water in there before having to break due to the radiation levels.

I just heard that the first series of "runs" was only 4 dumps of water...that just seems like so little over a 40 minute period. Especially if there are cracks, the water would just leak out wouldn't it?

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

you said 1/3 of the oceans. lest we forget the poisoning of the gulf of mexico and the atlantic in 2010. more like 2/3 now. sorry wasnt trying to be nitpicky. i am just with you on how much more can the oceans take?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spark9576
reply to post by xavi1000

Not to jump down your throat but the operation is not going well either. If you watch the video, the water is clearly not falling on the individual reactor. Dropping water from helicopters works great for wide-spread wildfires, but won't work for contained areas like reactor cores...

Building #3 dump

Building #4 dump

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
Still seeing nothing about the claim Rancher made of "electricity being restored and the pumps being back on." I'm calling BS, and reminding everyone not to believe a d*mn thing until you see it in print for yourself. Too much trolling going on, and it's BS with such an emergency going on.

What a joke.

I gave the link. CNBC said it over and over again.. Talk about trolling Jeesh.. I know the rules.. Lets hope something works for these guys.. Here read this link.. Its close but they say it will fix it.. And yes its Paraphrase but close..

The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant says it has almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the complex and solve the crisis that has threatened a meltdown CNBC.com

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by rancher1

No, we've seen "will soon" over and over again. You said IT'S BEEN DONE and that CNBC is saying it----I've been watching, and they've not mentioned it once. NO OTHER news outlets are reporting this----don't you think it would be pretty huge breaking news that everyone's waiting for? I still call BS until you can provide something other than "I heard it, I swear!"

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michelle129th
I would think that if the workers constantly pumping sea water in for the past few days didn't cool the reactors down, this is too little too late.

The water dumps are not for the reactors... they are trying to fill the POOLS that hold the spent fuel rods. They couldn't get water INTO the reactors this way. If there was a breach in the reactor big enough to allow a water dump it would be way to late
edit on 16-3-2011 by zorgon because: Charlie Sheen did it
I KNOW NOTHING

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant says it has almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the complex and solve the crisis that has threatened a meltdown CNBC.com

Um, not to be negative but multiple meltdowns have already taken place, pumping water will do nothing since the fuel is melting. That statement seems very, very over optimistic.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
www.cnbc.com...

The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant says it has almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the complex and solve the crisis that has threatened a meltdown. Yomiuri Shimbun | AFP | Getty Images A doctor checks uses a giger counter to check the level of radiation on a woman. Tokyo Electric Power spokesman Naoki Tsunoda said early Thursday local time that the power line to Fukushima Dai-ichi is almost complete. Officials plan to try it "as soon as possible" but he could not say when. The new line would revive electric-powered pumps, allowing the company to maintain a steady water supply to troubled reactors and spent fuel storage ponds, keeping them cool.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
81,000+ gallons of water per ton of uranium per 1000°C temperature drop needed. They're gonna need a lot more choppers...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00
reply to post by rancher1

No, we've seen "will soon" over and over again. You said IT'S BEEN DONE and that CNBC is saying it----I've been watching, and they've not mentioned it once. NO OTHER news outlets are reporting this----don't you think it would be pretty huge breaking news that everyone's waiting for? I still call BS until you can provide something other than "I heard it, I swear!"

Here is the link ..calm down

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Yep----"ALMOST completed." Been hearing that for hours. Funny how some can see/hear "almost completed" and run here and report "it's all over, they're pumping in water, yay, it's working, watch NHK, they say it's going great!"

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The latest from Reuters and it doesn't sound good - at all! Note they say limited power supply for electricity, I don't think they were able to do more than perhaps use a generator. What do you think after reading this report?

www.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join