It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 148.htm
<< 145  146  147    149  150  151 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Dropping water now on 3 and 4 reactor ...going well for now

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hugues de Payens

Originally posted by rancher1
CNBC says problems being fixed right now,, water flowing electric turned back on.. worst is over.. finally!!!

Hope I'm wrong but this sentiment may be a bit optimistic at this point.

The "experts" believe this will help the situation.. The only thing we can do is hope it will. We aren't there, we are just spectators from a world away. Maybe there is something to this approach they are taking. Only time will tell..

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rancher1

That station has rarely worked for me lately; trying to verify now and I hope you're right and they're not lying, but I don;t see any other news outlet reporting it, so I will wait to celebrate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

CNBC says problems being fixed right now,, water flowing electric turned back on.. worst is over.. finally!!!

Here it is live,, www.livestation.com... Looks like its working so far.. YES!!!

Yea I'm hoping so fer sure. But one has to remember. We have how many cracked reactor vessels and breached secondary containments? We have how many spent fuel pits with no water? All of this nuclear fuel producing heat from decay at high temps. What's going to happen when that cold water hits it? It's going to flash to steam. Where's the steam going to go? Into the air? When it condenses what's going to happen to it? Rain/snow onto the water and land? Since this steam has been created by highly radioactive material, what's that going to do to the land around it, and the sea life near by?

The worst is not over.

link   
nhk is showing helios dumping water live right now. Lead plates inside are protecting the crews.

Although it looks something like using an eyedropper on an asphalt parking lot in florida.
edit on 3/16/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

link   

The worst is over?

I saw the news of choppers dropping water buckets on the reactor. It's the same as pissing on a forest fire.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

It is NOT going well. This is like putting a band-aid on a full blown hemorrhage... Don't let the Japanese Media fool you, this is very bad and not going to end well...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by spark9576

It is NOT going well. This is like putting a band-aid on a full blown hemorrhage... Don't let the Japanese Media fool you, this is very bad and not going to end well...

I was thinking about the operation ..not the general crisis

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
NHK just said they'd need 200 direct hits to fill the fuel rod pool - that's a lot of helicopters. From the video i've seen the pilots don't appear to be very keen to hang about up there so accurate drops look unlikely.

Looks like they're going for the water truck spraying option
edit on 16-3-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: more info

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
All I've got to say is those individuals who are involved in the operation are brave as hell!

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It will take time, but there going in the right direction.. No need to tell us what could go wrong we have about 100 pages of that.. Lets just keep our fingers crossed..

link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

So you've been watching---did they actually say electricity has been restored and everything's great, or was that some creative invention on the part of someone?

link   
Im watching CNN (cable tv) and a few minutes ago they had someone being interviewed and he said that the water being dropped from the choppers could "move" the rods and in "theory" there is a chance of a nuclear reaction. - Not reallly sure what that means

Edit - This from BBC live shortly ago

www.bbc.co.uk...

0110: And US nuclear experts believe there is no water left in Reactor 4's cooling pool, meaning radiation levels are extremely high there.

0112: Let's recall what top US nuclear official Gregory Jaczko had to say about the risks facing the crews fighting to cool down the reactors: "It would be very difficult for emergency workers to get near the reactors. The doses they could experience would potentially be lethal doses in a very short period of time."

0117: A lead plate is attached to the bottom of each chopper and the crew are wearing protective suits - NHK.

edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

link   

Not to jump down your throat but the operation is not going well either. If you watch the video, the water is clearly not falling on the individual reactor. Dropping water from helicopters works great for wide-spread wildfires, but won't work for contained areas like reactor cores...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
By "going well", I am assuming people are talking about it not exploding... correct?

That is not the problem... explosion was never the problem... explosions only speeded up the problem. The fuel is still in chain reaction, and no amount of water over the top of it can stop that.

They are trying to get the radiation levels down temporarily so the US can help evacuate the population... that is all.

TheRedneck

link   

It will take time, but there going in the right direction.. No need to tell us what could go wrong we have about 100 pages of that.. Lets just keep our fingers crossed..

True-dat. May God bless those brave souls.

link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
All I've got to say is those individuals who are involved in the operation are brave as hell!

www.livestation.com...

I second that.

Hell of a job boys.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
New member, first post, thanks for this topic.

Over the weekend I started keeping tack of the radiation levels as monitored and/or published by NISA. They stopped Monday night, but here are my numbers from Sat-Mon. Test locations came and went, don't know why. There were some issues about the scale but I believe them to be microsieverts. Dashes are blank numbers for that period for which there are 10-11.

Dai-ichi

MP1 - NE Site Boundary- - - - - - 5.20/17.0/26.0/44.9/56.4
MP2 - NE Boundary? - - - - - - - - - 450/680
MP4 - NW Site Boundry- - - - - 40.0/40.0/47.10/44.0/
MP6 - Main Gate 1 .07/.59/5.1/5.1/3.25/3.1/3.2/26.0/5.2/56.3
MP8 - Main Gate 2 .07/.038/2.50/2.90/2.06/4.50/5.20 - - - -

I post this because the 2 readings given out earlier today were 300-600 with the JapGuv claiming they were down in the last 12 hours.
edit on 16-3-2011 by mrbillshow because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Does anyone watch CNBC and can they confirm what I read on another forum. Theyre saying that, CNBC, just reported that of course the cores could be cooled now with the water from the choppers because the cracks in the containment were big enough holes to pour the water down. ie. big enough to aim for from the air?

Surely that could not have been said.
I don't watch CNBC.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mrbillshow

Welcome mrbill. Wish it could be under better circumstances.

top topics

<< 145  146  147    149  150  151 >>

join