It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 144.htm
<< 141  142  143    145  146  147 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

Well from what I understand, those rinky-dink geiger counters people are posting on the internet can not detect the presence of plutonium. One nice thing about plutonium is that it is very heavy, it doesn't move around as easily as other radioactive particles. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, because my education in nuclear energy and radiations dates back to Monday

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Pragmatic optimism can go a long way. And if this power line works and it restores power and the coolant brings the temp down, the radiation stops, and the turbines start running, I promise you I will be more than ecstatic to admit publicly that I am wrong! Just as soon as I stop laughing from relief.

Physics says that is impossible, though. And I have learned to trust physics.

TheRedneck

I hope to God that it does work and this crisis is averted but there are at least two reactors have cracks in the containment vessel. Even if you get the power going those containment vessels will not be able to hold water, they are damaged. How can you keep the fuel rods covered with water?

Another thing is that that there is so much damage at the plant that even if they do restore power most of the equipment is most likely not functioning correctly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I have a little catching up to do here - a few pages - but in the meantime -

Earlier, I thought water was a bad idea. And my wood stove just keeps coming to mind. If I have a hot stove and throw cold water on in, the whole of the stove would steam and crack = bad idea! Then, I think Chimney fire, which I don't know why my brain is processing this as what is going on at the reactors, but, my thinking, there must be a chemical that can be put on these reactors that will chemically take the heat out of the reactors. Just as with a fire you have the fire extinguisher or the new little blocks that are made of chemicals that you throw in the stove to extinguish it. I think they must start looking outside the box and the science geeks need to start making potions.

What about Salt???

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
U.S. Calls Radiation ‘Extremely High’ and Urges Deeper Caution in Japan

a serious split between Washington and Tokyo, after American officials concluded that the Japanese warnings were insufficient, and that, deliberately or not, they had understated the potential threat of what is taking place inside the nuclear facility.

Gregory Jaczko, the chairman of the commission, said in Congressional testimony that the commission believed that all the water in the spent fuel pool at the No. 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station had boiled dry, leaving fuel rods stored there exposed and bleeding radiation. As a result, he said, “We believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures.”

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

I agree. I'm going by the live Tokyo Geiger counter on UStream. CPMs are slowy going up...not a lot mind you,
But the cpm count is .10 cpm higher than it was two hours ago.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
To me it's one thing when it only effects the people who put the deciders (never thought I'd use that term
) in power. I may speak from my arm chair and say it's wrong, but when it effects me 5000mi away I start to get angry about it. Have no doubt even if it takes 5-10 years for it to come out It will effect the whole world! The worlds oceans are connected and that sea water may be worse than what goes into the air. I have heard nothing about containing it and I'd figure millions upon millions of gallons have been used, radiated, and dumped back in to the ocean or water table. No matter how I look at it it's really bad...and yes Pride would be one of the 7 sins.
edit on 16-3-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

That may be it - will look up plutonium now...thanks.

TheRedneck may know?

I'm guessing that this may be one of the reasons we're seeing differences between what say foreign governments and the Japanese are saying - i.e. are the Japanese/TEPCO sticking to a radiation measure that is conveniently reassuring now that the MOX may be on fire?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
I have a little catching up to do here - a few pages - but in the meantime -

Earlier, I thought water was a bad idea. And my wood stove just keeps coming to mind. If I have a hot stove and throw cold water on in, the whole of the stove would steam and crack = bad idea! Then, I think Chimney fire, which I don't know why my brain is processing this as what is going on at the reactors, but, my thinking, there must be a chemical that can be put on these reactors that will chemically take the heat out of the reactors. Just as with a fire you have the fire extinguisher or the new little blocks that are made of chemicals that you throw in the stove to extinguish it. I think they must start looking outside the box and the science geeks need to start making potions.

What about Salt???

Google; Boron and water, Borax, Boric Acid and nuclear reactions.

edit on 16-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Anderson Cooper said his counter has gone up quadruple in 36 hrs. just a few min. ago on 360!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MoonandStar
Even the low tech russians were dealing with the situation better than the japs right now.

The 'low tech' Russians used 500,000 soldiers to go in with simple lead plating as shields with a small shovel to remove the debris from the roof so machines could get it from the bottom. Radiation was so high that they could only endure 45 SECONDS on the roof before being replaced. The robots burned out circuits.

They had ONE reactor to deal with, with full access to equipment and electricity.

I suggest you see this video
Chernobyl Disaster Documentary
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then you can see what was involved. After that come and tell me how easy this is going to be

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
An expert on CNN just said he believes the situation is already at a chernobyl level.

-cnn tv

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

2348: It should be noted that the Tokyo Electric Power Company has a poor record on revealing the extent of problems at its nuclear facilities. In 2002, senior executives were forced to resign after the government disclosed that they had covered up a large series of cracks and other damage to reactors. In 2006, the firm admitted it had been falsifying data about coolant materials in its plants.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Wind near Japan's quake-hit plant to blow towards Pacific
www.reuters.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by leisas4 because: new news

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Now NHK is reporting what appears to be white steam from the number 2, number 3 and number 4 from the Fukushima I nuclear complex.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

It took an expert until today to come up with that conclusion? Wow, CNN...
I've found MSNBC to be a little more forth coming with regard to this disaster, but I stopped paying attention to ANY MSM details as of last night. I realized everything we hear, FROM ANY NEWS SOURCE, all filters down from ONE place, and that's TEPCO...and each just puts their own spin on things according to agenda...

Just my 2 cents

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
CNN LIVE title is "Japan is at Cherynoble Levels".
I will post a link when I can find an article.
edit on 16-3-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: someone a couple comments ago had already posted this... my bad !

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
American Official Warns Significant Radiation Risk in Japan

U.S Nuclear Regulatory Chairman Gregory Jaczko told a congressional panel that his commission is recommending a larger evacuation radius from Japan's Fukishima nuclear plant than Japan has ordered.

*Sigh*

Why wont they release numbers?

Jaczko described the dire situation at Japan's Fukishima nuclear plant, saying radiation levels at the fourh reactor at that plant are "extremely high." He said the State Department is issuing a new recommendation for U.S. citizens in Japan.www.voanews.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Finally MSM (CNN) is reporting that the SHTF. Hopefully this means more help for those poor people in Japan.

link   
reply to post by zorgon

I just watched some of the footage today of the "BIOROBOTS" that replaced the robots when the circuts failed..
Some VERY brave men!

link   
Well according to this it looks like the problem is almost solved. I know I read other stuff in this thread about this, But I did not see a link. Maybe all the gloom and doom on here will be proved wrong.. Ot I'm I just being naive, Wait don't answer that. Here is what he said.

The operator of Japan's tsunami-crippled nuclear plant says it has almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the complex and solve the crisis that has threatened a meltdown. CNBC.com

new topics

top topics

<< 141  142  143    145  146  147 >>

join