It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 14.htm
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
The limits are usually set at 1 sievert / 0.30 μSv/hr. (100r is 1 sievert)

Depending on your constitution, you may be working up to about 500r exposure, some less some more.

ANY ionizing radiation is bad.

(BBC says their weren't allowed inside any closer than 60km to the reactor, where the news says 10km)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Could the fallout affect our crops? animals and insects?
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, this is just like nothing before.
I'm literally freakin out. If our crops were to fail, we wouldn't be the only ones affected.
In other words, a great famine?
Not fearmongering, just really scared right now.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Reports said the main building of the plant housing the reactor as well as the outer walls were blown away in the high intensity explosion which occurred at 3.30 pm local time (1200 IST) as the cooling water levels dropped alarmingly through evaporation after the quake had damaged the main plant

Economic Times Link

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

The BBC's environment correspondent Roger Harrabin says he understands the blast at the nuclear plant may have been caused by a hydrogen explosion - also one of the possibilities laid out by Walt Patterson of Chatham House. "If nuclear fuel rods overheat and then come into contact with water, this produces a large amount of highly-flammable hydrogen gas which can then ignite," our correspondent says.

bbc news - live blog

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ThenCameWar

just reading the first pages but go back then because godlike productions is #ty as hell come to ats and love it or dont get on here lets talk about you u loser why bring that up in this thread you fool i love ats but not you the last thread i read on glp was how much weed have you bought this site is way more classy you loser but you are stating you opinon which sucks so f off and stay off sorry mod off topic had to reply

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012
Could the fallout affect our crops? animals and insects?
I'm literally freakin out. If our crops were to fail, we wouldn't be the only ones affected.
In other words, a great famine?
Not fearmongering, just really scared right now.

Me too.
This could be truly global.
I do hope those who have been wishing for apocalypse are enjoying this moment.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
It's all very well advising people within the 6km limit to evacuate as soon as possible. But some of those poor people are going to be breathing that radioactive crap in, it could be on their clothes, their shoes, in their hair, on their cars ... there's nothing been mentioned about any kind of decontamination required at all.

And it doesn't appear they're issuing potassium iodide to the locals either, to block the uptake of radioiodine into the thyroid gland.

So the local radiation levels are either sufficiently low that neither decontamination or potassium iodide is required or the authorities haven't a clue what they're doing.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Reuters reports evacuation zone extended to 20KM

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Mr Tranny,

I understand where you are coming from and I'm sure your stats are spot on.

However, leaks from a nuclear power plant simply strike me as serious. VERY serious!

I'm no fear-monger, and am most certainly not a Nuclear Engineer, but I'm simply not buying the reports of "no harm" to humans. With that in mind, I truly hope I'm wrong.

Peace.

I hope your wrong also..but this looks very bad to me (serious)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

Been there, done that. Chernobyl.

We havent turned into nuclear mutant zombies yet.

Really, its just a nuclear melt down. If it happens a km away, worry. If it happens halfway across the globe, dont.
edit on 12-3-2011 by merka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I read yesterday on Fox news that reactor that is the most serious was due to be shutdown but they decided to keep it online for another ten years. I'm guessing that poor person If he lives through all that is going on and will in the very near future is going to have nightmares about his decison the rest of his life.

I wanted to say hello to all this my first post. My prayers go out to all in harms way

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by merka

Agreed:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Here's more details of the situation at Fukushima Daiichi No 1 plant from AP. A the news agency reports that it is not clear if a reactor meltdown would cause a serious radiation risk, and if it did how far the risk would extend:
Yaroslov Shtrombakh, a Russian nuclear expert, said a Chernobyl-style meltdown was unlikely.
"It's not a fast reaction like at Chernobyl," he said. "I think that everything will be contained within the grounds, and there will be no big catastrophe."
In 1986, the Chernobyl nuclear reactor exploded and caught fire, sending a cloud of radiation over much of Europe.
Pressure has been building up in Fukushima reactor it's now twice the normal level and Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told reporters Saturday that the plant was venting "radioactive vapors." Officials said they were measuring radiation levels in the area. Wind in the region is weak and headed northeast, out to sea, according to the Meteorological Agency.
The reactor in trouble has already leaked some radiation: Operators have detected eight times the normal radiation levels outside the facility and 1,000 times normal inside Unit 1's control room. Ryohei Shiomi, a nuclear official, said that each hour the plant was releasing the amount of radiation a person normal absorbs in a year. He has said that even if there were a meltdown, it wouldn't affect people outside a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius an assertion that might need revising if the situation deteriorates. Most of the 51,000 residents living within the danger area had been evacuated, he said.

Source

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Neil McKeown in Nakameguro, Tokyo writes:
"The evacuation zone has been extended to 20km by the government. However TepCo [the Tokyo Electric Power Company] appeared in a news conference and promised to release new radioactivity readings after 6pm.
It is now 7.30pm and they have not done so.
People are getting extremely frustrated at the lack of news coming from TepCo and the government - they have yet to confirm if the building that suffered an explosion housed a reactor, and we have no indication how much radiation has been released or in what direction winds are blowing."

Source

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I just got up and got on here a few minutes ago. Yahoo is my home page and the Nuclear Emergency is the top story right now. This is beyond horrible, if true. My many prayers to all there.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
All radiation readings are here.

Portal 3.64μSv / h 0.001μSv / h
MP-11 near 2.20μSv / h
Portal 3.43μSv / h 0.001μSv / h
MP-11 near 2.18μSv / h
Portal 3.32μSv / h 0.001μSv / h
Portal 3.25μSv / h 0.001μSv / h

As for fallout maps, I would imagine the trade winds would play a part..

edit on 12/3/2011 by LilFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
japanese prime minister live now just said there has been some devolpments at fukushima 1 plant that they will be telling people about later.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

The part destroyed looks like the metal shroud at the top, whereas the actual containment is a concrete underneath structure underneath. If the explosion was from detonation of hydrogen gas that seeped upwards from the hot zirconium cladded fuel rods, then there's possibility that the containment isn't completely destroyed, hence hopefully most of the radiation will be contained.
edit on 12/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Was watching NHK, they are reporting meltdown has occurred.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by strangeness
reply to post by theRhenn

Depending in who you believe apparently... These reports are so conflicting it hurts my hair. . .
www.reuters.com...
Experts and the government both insisted there would be no radioactive disaster.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction," Naoto Sekimura, a professor at the University of Tokyo, said.

"Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."

Oooor

www.reuters.com...
"Scientist warns of "Chernobyl-like" disaster (1:57)

Mar 11 - A disaster on the scale of Chernobyl could happen if authorities fail to contain a leak at two nuclear plants in Japan, Edwin Lyman, a senior staff scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists said. Rough cut"

I know mate. You gotta love the news today. It's almost like a damnedable political party. Even the news is polarized in more ways than just politics.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join