It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1395.htm
<< 1392  1393  1394    1396  1397  1398 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Why dont they flood the "pool" rods and all, in Lead?, then encase entire containment pool in a lead coffin?
or too simple not high tech. enough,, like frreezingg the ground. Remember Radiation sickness also cause's mental instability, due too certain, newly formed particles, disrupting the Synaptic Proccess's. needed for correct "sound mind" judgement.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
Why dont they flood the "pool" rods and all, in Lead?, then encase entire containment pool in a lead coffin?
or too simple not high tech. enough,, like frreezingg the ground. Remember Radiation sickness also cause's mental instability, due too certain, newly formed particles, disrupting the Synaptic Proccess's. needed for correct "sound mind" judgement.

Lead has a low melting point and the heat from the fuel could cause it to boil off. Lead would not circulate as easily as water and would not be as efficient a coolant. When water boils it converts to steam at a ratio of 1000 cu/ft of steam to 1 cu/ft of water. The steam then carries a lot of heat away with it. If the lead were to boil away it would be nearly as deadly to breath as the radioactive steam. The better choice is the one used at chernobyl. A mix of concrete with added radiation absorbing elements. But even that is not working at Chernobyl. They are already experiencing a failure of the concrete casket and are talking about having to spend billions more to encase the concrete sarcophagus in another, larger, block of concrete.
edit on 20-8-2013 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

is it just me or does this sound like a discusion,we (?), had long ago,,at this point someone mentions the "newly improved radiation absorbant materials,,created in labs,,for just this purpose,,but hey science has come pretty far since Chernoble,, (R.I.P.)
But probably cost prohibative,, besides im sure the Unit 731 guys are having a blast.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by happykat39

is it just me or does this sound like a discusion,we (?), had long ago,,at this point someone mentions the "newly improved radiation absorbant materials,,created in labs,,for just this purpose,,but hey science has come pretty far since Chernoble,, (R.I.P.)
But probably cost prohibative,, besides im sure the Unit 731 guys are having a blast.

Definitely cost prohibitive. The article I read on the recent failure at chernobyl stated that it would cost several billion dollars to encase the original concrete containment in a new containment. I would assume that they are taking newer, more efficient, materials into consideration. But the most serious problem at Fukushima is that even if they cap off the buildings with the melted cores and damaged fuel pools there is nothing they can do to contain the material that has already melted down and sank into the ground. Remember also, the fuel pools in the reactor buildings are on the top floors of the buildings. I doubt that the buildings, being already seriously compromised structurally, would be able to support the weight of a concrete encasement. This is really turning into a lose / lose situation with no effective way to contain the radioactive material.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
4 hours ago.
20th August 2013 at 05:41 PM
9.77 miles from Iwaki, Fukushima,
Japan
Magnitude 4.9

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
More leaks at Fukushima
Guardian

Frantic efforts to contain radioactive leaks at the wrecked Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant have been dealt another blow after its operator said about 300 tonnes of highly contaminated water had seeped out of a storage tank at the site.

The leak is the worst such incident since the March 2011 meltdown and is separate from the contaminated water leaks, also of about 300 tonnes a day, reported recently.

Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco) said it did not know how the water leaked out or where it had leaked to, but it believed that the spillage had not flowed into the Pacific ocean.

Tepco's spokesman, Masayuki Ono, said the water had seeped into the ground after breaching a concrete and sandbag barrier around the tank. Workers were pumping out the puddle and removing the remaining water from the tank, he added. Despite efforts to contain the spillage, the leak is already the most severe since the crisis began.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Nice work Jaded...good to see that reach of yours still extended toward the sky :-)

reply to post by Aircooled

A stab in the dark it may be but you are probably right on the money . for instance take what was known right at the start directly from the G.E. ( the manufacturers/designers of the mark one reactor's ) website ( comments section ) :
but first a quote from the official blurb about the mark one reactor ( remember for over two years after the disaster G.E. claimed that no mark one had EVER lost containment ) as it has been modified in light of recent "unfortunate" disclosures by g.e.'s good buddy partners TEPCO:

There are also some facts that GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy can attempt to clarify, such as those concerning the Mark I containment system in use at the reactors in the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant. The Mark I containment has a proven track record of safety and reliability for over 40 years and there are 32 BWR Mark I reactors operating as designed worldwide.

SOOO...apparently , containment failure ...radiation poisoning and pollution, death and absolute contempt for the very people they have been milking for years( and now killing ) is "operating as designed"

yeah baby..way to go G.E., what superior beings you must feel like hiding behind the skirt of obfuscation...does money or power make the taste of cowardice more palatable?

...O.k. ...no problem we get the general business model here...and we can't say Letterman didn't try to warn us years ago.

but now here are couple of snippets from the comments section of the MK 1 G.E. page ( linked again )

donald person • 2 years ago this is now academic. it seems certain that in the event of even a partial meltdown as indisputably happened at Fukushima Unit i on Mar 12 2011 - that the CRD stub tube penetration locations rapidly acted a fast conduit for molten fuel to spread w/o any hindrance to the containmnet floor. It is almost certain that rapid ablation of these penetrations accelerated the escape of core materials. Lesson: The real flaw in the BWR design was unfortunate assumption that no core melt could ever happen. Because when it does - bottom entry control starts to look really really BAD. Dear GE: You can erase this comment, suppress the details of this critical design weakness in the GE/Hitachi BWR reactor but you can't erase the facts as they will eventually come out elsewhere.

looks like he was right...time is telling the tale.

Willem Jan Oosterkamp
• 2 years ago...(snip)
A mixture of hydrogen and oxygen is formed by the splitting of water due to radiation during normal operation. Even after shutdown this mixture is produced. This mixture will collect in the emergency condenser and make this condenser inoperable. The composition of the mixture may well depend on the water chemistry of the reactor (Is hydrogen added?). As far as I know we did not perform a longterm functioning test of the emergency condensor at the Dodewaard BWR. I think with todays knowledge a vent line with filter and delay line should have been added. Once rapid oxidation of zircaloy cladding, grids and channels occurs producing pure hydrogen, then the emergency condenser will no longer work. Venting hydrogen into the reactor building is not a sound technical solution. I assume that the containment has failed, barring better information on the Fukushima plants.

...well then this is why back in the beginning hydrogen was being "flushed" into the reactor buildings which housed the overflowing ( content wise) spent fuel pools....unlike what Tepco told us...it was not controlled , but a design flaw in which an uncontrolled criticality in the core ( exposed cladidng producing hydrogen being the clue ) was obviously already in progress and out of control.

BUT...four had no core to melt or cause hydrogen release ..so why the fire ( that they have managed to keep pretty well off the map ) back in the beginning at the number four building?, and why such danger and structural decay there as opposed to three ( which looks like a saggy old refrigerator box)?

So that would indicate that the sfp at 4 burned because of coolant loss and insufficient emergency cooling...
I believe the urgency is not due to structural or other deficiencies but due to the progressive state of four becoming more and more active and radioactive (remember they pull spent fuel because it gets "too hot" to be stable) so that an uncontrolled crioticality is eminent even with proper cooling and Tepco is only hoping to remove some of the mass to buy more time...it's the only thing that makes sense, so in a word : desperation
edit on 20-8-2013 by Silverlok because: broken frame

edit on 20-8-2013 by Silverlok because: urgently needed Y

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Rad Release in the Air...Twice in One Week

And hadn't been any releases for months...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

Now Three....

www.tepco.co.jp...

There were no air rad releases during this same time last year (August 21, 2012):

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 21-8-2013 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Anyone find more recent data showing the water level in the corners of the basements?

This is Unit 2, June 28, 2012:
www.tepco.co.jp...

This is Unit 1, September 20, 2012:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Just curious. The data might show if the buildings are tilting more. Water usually accumulates in the lowest spot.

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I seriously can't believe they are STILL flying into there.

South Korea's Asiana Airlines to cancel Fukushima flights

www.ndtv.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Uh oh, look out now, China's pissed.

Fukushima nuclear leak: Chinese government 'shocked'

www.channel4.com...

"China "hopes that the Japanese side can earnestly take effective steps to put an end to the negative impact of the after-effects of the Fukushima nuclear accident," the foreign ministry said in a statement."

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
Uh oh, look out now, China's pissed.

Fukushima nuclear leak: Chinese government 'shocked'

www.channel4.com...

"China "hopes that the Japanese side can earnestly take effective steps to put an end to the negative impact of the after-effects of the Fukushima nuclear accident," the foreign ministry said in a statement."

i find it hard to believe any country with engineers present, would be shocked by anything relevant to Fukushima i mean hey we are mostly arm chair nuclear engineers and we all knew this day was coming.

sounds more like cover your ass media manipulation to me.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
To little black eagle, I can't see how anyone on the planet doesn't know about it, I agree!

So, a Q&A session on the BBC:

www.bbc.co.uk...

What is nice about this article, is they have sat photos from the various time periods showing what the onsite storage tanks look like as the years progress. They keep going like that and the entire eastern half of Japan is going to be nothing but water storage tanks.

From the article:

"Where will all this end?

In the very short term, Tepco will have to invest in more robust storage tanks, and cope with continuing problem of groundwater. Its ultimate hope is that this water can be treated and cleaned, and then released into the sea.

Tepco will then have to tackle the fuel rods, which a slow and tricky task. The IAEA says it could take 40 years. Some experts believe the whole clean-up will take more than a century."

Personal opinion, if they can wrap their hands around this in a century, I think they are ahead of what everyone thinks it's going to take, IF the buildings last that long.

edit on 21-8-2013 by matadoor because: Adding nuggets.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Jaded, here's what I got when I tried to rewatch that vid. Who knows? Maybe it's only "off limits" to us Canucks?

Well, no great film but a couple of stills I enlarged. Aug. 20th 013 fuk from the west. Arrow points to the leaking tank. Check out the steamium [only above the blown reactors] and hey, doesn't the harbour look funky?

Lots of dumpsters [So Hi-tech] full of radiated well water.

english.kyodonews.jp...

I pulled this screen cap off of fukulive yesterday. Aside from the obvious steam, I don't remember this buckle in the concrete framework being on the west side of #4. I checked in the older pics. It isn't.
With so little film in the last year and a half it's impossible to say when/how it happened?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Great job all ya fabulous folks on this thread!! Good grief we never get bored! Wish we could, but we all had deep seated fears from the beginning that Fuku...was bad....really F'ing bad. It is still like a video tape playing in my mind when the TV first started reporting the situation....and then when the units started blowing up....well yeah...my children still distinctly remember the expletives that emanated from Mommy's mouth.

Pertaining to the Three Mile Island payoff/cover-up....there was a divorced News reporter that extensively covered the accident from the very beginning. He suddenly came down with a severe case of skin cancer shortly after the incident. He re-married his ex-wife so she would get the money to support their five children before he died.

Silly that they raised Fuku to "level 3"...there should have been a whopping, kick-butt International force put on Fuku from day one. Cover-up??? Ha! Ha! Ha!

(I try to stay unemotional on this thread...but now and then...well my apologies...)

- Purple Chive

edit on 21-8-2013 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

For your information:

Tokyo Professor: Ground Beneath Fukushima Reactors Becoming Increasingly Unstable. “Potential Catastrophe Unfolding In Plain Sight”
Published: August 20th, 2013 at 1:49 pm ET
By ENENews
enenews.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

... let me clarify a bit:

I have no doubt that the structure at four and the over-all stability of the building, pool and ground beneath it are in serious trouble...In fact we predicted as much on this thread back around page 400 somewhere; that all the radiation and water flow would "soften" the building prematurely and wash out the foundation ( most of us agreed that ongoing subsidence and geological activity would seriously affect any "long term" stability)

What I am suspicious of is Tepco's sudden 'transparency'. I mean these guys knew from day one that they had melt downs and critical pool situations and perhaps 10% of the cooling they needed IF they could get the power back on, but instead of firing up the bulldozers they fired up the bull# and kept it coming hard and fast to cover their, and the nuclear industry as a wholes , butts.

They have proven time and time again that distraction diversion and outright lying are their modus operandi AND I AM SURE THIS POOL SITUATION IS NO DIFFERENT ( despite the apparent openness )

For a moment set the clock back to the beginning...what was the number one super secret thing they were desperately ( and for the most part successfully) trying to keep off the radar?
Answer: what exactly happened at four.
WHY?
Four didn't have a core to go bang, so why should a build up from a pool that produced enough hydrogen to blow the roof and walls off the top of the building ( and severely damage it's structural integrity) and then burn be something they wanted and needed to hide SOOO badly ? how was that worse than three popping so spectacularly?

Because three was a mox experiment reactor, ...for the industry , that destruction could be "written off" ( in P.R. spin) as a fukucentric thing related to disaster more than the OBVIOUS design flaw of the mark 1 BWR reactor whereas the storage pool at 4 had no such exotic exceptions: it is very much like every other overflowing pool at all of G.E.'s 32 other BWR mark one reactors.

So for the nuker industry if that pool fails IT HAS TO BE FOR DISASTER RELATED REASONS AND NOT DESIGN OR IMPLEMENTATION OF POLICY REASONS.

So at this point we are expected to believe that a country that specializes in building megalopolises on the geological equivalent of sea sponges and sand ( TOKYO ) can't build a superstructure over a critical situation that's only purpose is to stabilize one tiny ( relatively;y speaking, that superstructure is giaganto) pool structure???
Ridiculous.
Another thought is that all they would have had to do is create an air tight structure over the pool fill it with inert gas and remove the rods in that environment the same way they do for the 'drying' pool that moves rods to cask dry storage. Or use inflatable rubber bags under it.

BUt we all know the pool is way too damage after being dry , exposed to air, burning, blowing the roof off and subsequently being flooded with uranium liberating salt water to be anywhere near normal operating conditions

The nuke industry and Tepco knew this from day one , they have admitted it indirectly

so why the focus on "structural instability" and removing the rods?

They want to seem to be "doing everything possible" to mitigate the disaster for the industry image , whereas the truth certainly ( as has been exposed at fuku) is :

There is no plan b for critical pool storage failures in the industry. In fact there is no plan A, plan A is THE ONLY WAY TO SOLVE CRITICAL PROBLEMS IN THE SFP IS DO NOT HAVE CRITICAL PROBLEMS IN THE SFP.

which leads me to this....

What keeps spent fuel from re-starting a nuclear chain reaction in the pool? Spent fuel pools are designed with appropriate space between fuel assemblies and neutron-absorbing plates attached to the storage rack between each fuel assembly. Under normal conditions, ...

These neutron absorbing plates have a life span ...they deteriorate as they absorb neutrons. given that fuku #4 has produced thousands upon thousands more neutron events then was EVER designed for I am estimating that the neutron moderators (kinda control rods for pools) are deteriorating at a radical rate...and this same thing can happen at every storage pool on the planet
But let's focus on the geology and construction ineptitude's rather than another glaring design flaw.

after reading this I should make clear : I am certain that deterioration of the pools moderators ( and the in the near future criticality ) are the reason Tepco is a) saying the sky , oops I mean pool , is falling and b) a cover story ( i.e we dropped a rod and it started a criticality as opposed to us being unable to stop moderator deterioration after so much radiation absorption and uncontrolled criticalities are a FACT for pool storage which means every pool is a ticking time bomb)
edit on 21-8-2013 by Silverlok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

The overall level of radiation that has been emitted by the Fukushima disaster also needs to be kept in perspective. According to Dr Ken Buesseler, senior scientist at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, US, the release of the radioactive element caesium from Fukushima is between a 10th and a third of what was released from the accident in Chernobyl, and perhaps one fortieth of what was released by nuclear bomb testing globally in the 1950s and 1960s.

www.bbc.co.uk...

from that article, that just makes me laugh when i hear "between a 1/10 and a 3rd of Chernobyl??????

are they on '___' ? woods hole bought and paid for azzwholes.

nice sat pics though, i guess they plan to fill whats lefts of the crop fields to the left rear of the plant with more leaking tanks.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Pretty Hot Crap

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

TEPCO Nuke Chief Has to Live At Fuku Now

Like this is going to make a difference? A whole bunch of dirty bastards should be sent there!!

TEPCO nuclear chief to be stationed in Fukushima The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant says it will station its nuclear power chief near the facility to oversee its decommissioning process, particularly handling of radioactive water. Tokyo Electric Power Company revealed last month that contaminated groundwater at the plant is seeping into the sea. This week, it said more than 300 tons of wastewater had leaked from a storage tank there. On Wednesday, the utility said it will send Vice President Zengo Aizawa, who heads the firm's nuclear power division, to Fukushima Prefecture to take direct command of decommissioning efforts. It said the move is aimed at clarifying the chain of command and facilitating information sharing among TEPCO officials in charge. In a news conference on Wednesday, Aizawa apologized for the utility's continuing to cause so much trouble and concern nearly 2 and a half years after the accident at the plant. He said he will tackle the water leaks as an issue of the highest priority. Aug. 21, 2013 - Updated 10:54 UTC

www3.nhk.or.jp...

- Purple Chive

top topics

<< 1392  1393  1394    1396  1397  1398 >>

join