It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1392.htm
<< 1389  1390  1391    1393  1394  1395 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

Originally posted by matadoor
Oh boy, then this nugget:

Insight: After disaster, the deadliest part of Japan's nuclear clean-up

in.reuters.com...

"The operator of Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant is preparing to remove 400 tons of highly irradiated spent fuel from a damaged reactor building, a dangerous operation that has never been attempted before on this scale."

More news on this:

www.globalpost.com...

edit on 14-8-2013 by matadoor because: Adding nuggets.

This latest news is very worrying. Can anyone explain to me, without hyperbole and just cold hard facts, how bad an unintended criticality would actually be once initiated? And who in the area (or elsewhere) would be affected in a worst case scenario? Thanks.

Peace.

Interesting question.

Since it has never happened before there are no real answers.

Will a descending nuclear mass melt through the mantle? Will the mantle simply solidify after it has passed? Will the pressure and temperature be enough to cause a nuclear explosion? Would that blow the top off all the Volcanoes within 1600km? That would lead to a volcanic winter killing everyone in the Northern latitude.

Or will it it be a lingering puss of a death slowly over several generations due to radiation exposure..

Maybe it will sink and just disappear! Hope springs eternal from the human heart!

P

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Ibaraki prefecture testing a car air filter [They breath too, right] 7.0 microsieverts or about 70 X background.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Needless to say, I'm going to hope for that last one.

It boggles my mind how poorly this has all been managed and prepared for.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

I realized some time ago. They can't do anything and they knew that from before the Tsunami. They are just going through the motions feeding us crap because that is all they have. There are no solutions.

I wonder if they should just stop all the cooling and allow the stuff to melt through the crust!

P

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I'm not persuaded of that personally. I'm not quite prepared to accept that there is absolutely no feasible way, with all the resources, technology, and ingenuity at our species' disposal as a whole, that if the powers that be really wanted to permanently and effectively isolate the fuel, they couldn't do it.

It's possible, but I'd need to see someone far more knowledgeable and educated than myself systematically rule out every conceivable alternative before I'd accept that outright. Which, in my opinion, is what they should be doing themselves before attempting this risky removal. Or if they have, I feel they should reveal that and let it be vetted and peer reviewed.

It's a cost-risk analysis at the end of the day. Will it cost more (in lives, money, damage, and long term effects) to actually do something - build a synthetic spherical enclosure around it for years at a cost of billions perhaps; something! - or to take the risk of relocating them gradually? Is there a hypothetical material or substance that could be fashioned into an enclosure that the fuel couldn't react with and work its way through once a reaction starts? I have yet to see a definitive answer to those questions.

I'd like to believe something can be done. If it can't. then I'd like to know why definitively.

Peace.
edit on 8/15/2013 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Here is how I see the situation.

The staff tried like hell to cool the cores. Extraordinary effort by them to try something, anything. It all failed.

TEPCO is now in a situation where they really have no clue where the coriums even are. They ASSume they are still in the reactors someplace, but they really don't know. So they just keep pumping in water, hoping it hits something.

I personally think that at least the MOX one, has completely left containment, and is slowly burning it's way down. The others are most likely not far behind.

Gravity is going to be pulling them down, but as AC said, even though these are cores, at present they are still in all likelihood a mass of goo (technical term) that will follow the path of least resistance, BUT also being pulled down.

Will they merge? I doubt it, they are pretty far apart.

BUT, what happens when they reach the Aquifer?

Does this act as a heat disipater and suddenly keep them in solid form and does it then act as the ultimate heat ex-changer?

Or, do we end up with re-criticality and Fuk is erased from the map along with rest rest of japan, ruining the pacific ocean for 100's of thousands of years?

Or, do the cores simply get entombed inside the aquifer and they try to keep water from flowing into and out of it?

Those are my views on this matter.

Because I seriously doubt that the cores are still anywhere near the containment s.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

yes the mixed oxide rods in 3 are a great concern, especially when you consider that MOX fuel gets hotter as it ages, up 5 years, so #3 may be bringing us even more joy in the months to come.

pu239 half life 24,000 years, guess that rules out retirement eh.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Well, we wondered when this would start:

Sailor believes illness due to radiation from service in Japan

www.ksl.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Ooops! The radioactive water disappeared. So sorry. Problem solved. [this is how they dump]
fukushima-diary.com...

Yeah, every time the tide goes in and out.
"Contaminated groundwater possibly being exchanged with seawater in seawater trench of reactor1"
fukushima-diary.com...

This week’s podcast features the testimonies of people living near the Three Mile Island nuclear plant at the time of the accident in 1979. These powerful testimonies are available in the NRC archives, but buried under thousands of other documents they rarely see the light of day.
"When we returned home, we went in the garage first and found our male German Shepherd had died. His eyes were milky white. We had provided about 100 pounds of food and 50 gallons of water. However, he had only drunk water before he died. We had five cats that lived in a box on the back porch. All but one was dead. All the cats had milky white eyes. The one living cat had one eye that was milky white. Skin grew over this eye during the following weeks. This cat lived for about six months after the accident. She had kittens prior to her death. The kittens were born dead and hairless."
enenews.com... y-white-eyes-woman-engulfed-by-wave-of-heat
This part is scary. "the noise that sounds like rain when it’s not raining."
fairewinds.org...

Hey, apparently Speedi is going to release a lot of older hidden data on Tuesday. They say it will be on the NRA's website. Could we have a translater standing by, because I'm not sure if it will be in English?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Fukushima Nuclear Cleanup: Will It Do More Good? Or More Bad?

au.ibtimes.com...

One of the best quotes I've seen yet:

"If an incompetent doctor killed numerous patients doing routine surgery - and then lied and tried to cover it up - would you let him perform brain surgery on a VIP such as the president?" an article published by Global Research said.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

The wife and I lived about 150 miles west of TMI when that happened..

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
What's really scary now is, the MSM is starting to pick up on this...

Cleanup Attempt At Japan's Fukushima Plant Could Release 14,000 Times As Much Radiation As Atomic Bomb

www.businessinsider.com...

""The No. 4 unit was not operating at the time of the accident, so its fuel had been moved to the pool from the reactor, and if you calculate the amount of cesium 137 in the pool, the amount is equivalent to 14,000 Hiroshima atomic bombs," said Hiroaki Koide, assistant professor at Kyoto University Research Reactor Institute."

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

yeah i was nuked on that one as well. was 14 at the time and lived 20 miles "east" of TMI which is well you know, not good eh.

i don't mind saying to all who frequent this thread, that i'm beginning to really worry about why they are letting this cat out of the bag now. are we now that much closer to more catastrophic event's unfolding? i don't know but they have successfully given me the creeps on this one and that isn't an easy task to accomplish.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Cesium levels in Fukushima water 8 times higher than after disaster

ajw.asahi.com...

"TEPCO, which operates the facility, said Aug. 15 that it detected 11,600 becquerels of radioactive cesium per liter of contaminated water in a tunnel near the No. 1 reactor building on the side facing the ocean.

That compares with 1,490 becquerels per liter it recorded at the site shortly after the accident in March 2011.

TEPCO said it believes the readings have soared due to rainwater containing cesium flowing into the tunnel. But the amount detected is roughly one-100,000th of that found in radioactive water in a tunnel near the No. 2 reactor building."

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
"When" the corium hits the "lake" it will most likely solidify. There would be enough water in the "lake" to cool the corium

Problem being, is even though they are cooled and solid. They will continue to need to be cooled, always releasing radiation.

Good news though. We will all be dead before they reach their half lives. Same as our kids and their kids.

I don't think that once they hit the "lake" there will be any steam "explosion". Just a lot of steam seeping through the ground around the plant.

Very scary stuff.

But in all nuclear energy is safe if managed properly. Where I work, saftey is priority and I'm proud to work in the nuclear industry.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Talk about something being "ironic"....

Tokyo asks Nagasaki bomb maker for help in fighting Fukushima leaks

www.scmp.com...

"Officials fighting toxic leaks at Fukushima turn to US firm that produced plutonium dropped on Nagasaki for advice on 'cocooning' safety process"

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The children of Japan speak out:

marise shikawa ohmiya senior high school
koshigaya, saitama

Clean up Fukushima or else

www.japantimes.co.jp...

I must admit, I didn't know about the Hydrogen bomb fallout.

"The first was the atomic bombing of two cities during World War II; the second was the March 1,1954, exposure of the tuna fishing boat Daigo Fukuryu Maru (Lucky Dragon 5) to deadly fallout from a hydrogen bomb test detonation on Bikini Atoll; and the third was the March 2011 Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant disaster."

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow, out of the mouths of babes...

Her generation and the one immediately following hers are the ones i am most concerned with, and the ones i am most hopeful for when it comes to this crisis as they are the ones who will ultimately be responsible for dealing with the long term effects of this disaster.

After all doesn't most anime center around japanese youth saving their homeland?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
From the "Yeah, this is my shocked face" category...

TEPCO faces delay in work to pump up radioactive groundwater

www.globalpost.com...

"Tokyo Electric Power Co. had planned to complete the installation on Sunday, but an excavator was damaged while digging on Saturday. TEPCO now expects to finish the work on Monday or later after procuring another excavator."

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by matadoor

Oh Gee Mat, with Hanford advising them they can't miss finishing us of, eh?

Let me start by saying this article sucks! The link to Ashi sucks even more. Reading it was like chewing on wet laundry. What is here that is worthy of attention is the 3 stage comment by one of the ENE regulars named Cisco.
People who are out of the loop would probably call his comment "Alarmist"
I would disagree. I find it refreshingly blunt and to the point without all the tap dancing fluff and spin.... Here is Cisco.

"When the SFP at #4 reactor is breached and the resulting radioactive firestorm ensues, half of the Island of Honshu will have to be evacuated. Thousands in Japan will die within days, weeks and months from radiation poisoning. It will be a global catastrophe of epic proportions, contaminating the northern hemisphere, resulting in tens of millions of deaths. No country will be spared. Following the jet stream blowing east, the US and Canadian coasts will be the most hard hit/contaminated. The entire US and Canada will not be spared.
There are reports that the Japanese government has been in talks with China and Russia discussing the potential of evacuating 40 million people, and the associated logistics. Some predict this event will collapse the economy of Japan, and destroy the fortunes of many of its trading partners.
Your chance of being irradiated from Fukushima (past, present, future) is extremely high/likely. And, as each day ticks bye, we get closer to a radiological firestorm that will make Chernobyl look pale as to what is unfolding. Those of us, who will not be exposed to radionuclides, will be the exceptions.
You will inhale it, eat it, or have skin exposure. And, it will metastasize into a cancer sometime in your life. Your DNA will be corrupted; and, if you procreate, you will pass your damaged genes on to the next generation, and each generation thereafter.
Radiation levels in the western US and Canada will be extreme as to cause some radiation poisoning in small segments of the population resulting in premature biological extinctions. Food stuffs grown and produced in California and other western states will be too contaminated to pick, and/or consume. All products from Japan should be suspect as to their potential, to be radioactive.
Adding more radiation to the atmosphere and the ocean, Japan is incinerating millions of tons of radioactive debris, and then dumping the ash in Tokyo Bay. Incineration doesn’t remove radiation; this process off gases radionuclides into the air, and the other radionuclides are concentrated in the ash. Incineration of radioactive debris only serves as a volume reducer. There is no method to remediate radioactive isotopes except to remove them from humankind.
TEPCO has admitted to dumping 1000 tons a day of radioactive water…(240,000/GPD or close to 1,000,000 million gallons every 4 days). Historically, TEPCO has fudged and misrepresented its actual discharge rates.
Many experts believe these numbers have been significantly understated. The radioactive sea plume has reached Hawaii and should reach the US in less than 6 months. Sea water evaporates, clouds form that produce rain, adding another level of contamination to the atmosphere and land.
Additionally, some approximately 50,000,000 tons of construction and industrial debris is headed our way, expected to hit the US and Canadian coasts in the next 6 months. Some of it is dangerously radioactive.
This will be the beginning of the end for millions of people, and a mass corruption of the *gene pool for man and all other living creatures and plants. This will be the end of nuclear power; but, it will be the end of many of us, too.
It’s not a question of if; it’s just a matter of when. "
If you think those who created this nuclear power electricity scheme will be able to contain Fukushima; think again. The same folks who got us into this mess, are the ones charged with fixing it…WTF? Remember the Deepwater Horizon and how the offender BP was left to be the fixer…insanity.
enenews.com...

top topics

<< 1389  1390  1391    1393  1394  1395 >>

join