It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 139.htm
<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesPeak

I'll try YosokoNews. NHK World is whitewashing the event in my opinion.

link   
what I don't understand is...
Where are the other reactors' spent rods?

According to news I read about the design of Fukushima, each reactor had a pool of spent fuel rods below the roof

All the roofs have been blown off...

Somebody on this thread earlier suggested that the other spent fuel rods had fallen in cavities below the reactors

One alternative hypothesis I am making is that n.4 contained all the other reactors spent rods because it was not used to produce energy at the time of the earthquake...

Any thoughts? or info?

link   
Breaking from cnn: japan radiation is extremely high....

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesPeak

Yes because the japaneese government are not telling there people whats really happening !!

CNN just had breaking news that all 3 reactors are now empty of water and exposed. The U.S have said that radiation is extreamly high. Then they switched to NHK and they were saying everything is fine !!

For once i believe the US on this one !!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard
reply to post by windwaker

According to physicist Michio Kaku, the last ditch effort would be to bury the plant in sand, boron (or boric acid?) and concrete.

Coincidentally, South Korea announced today that they're sending quite a lot of tonnage of boron to the scene.

Sorry, this was meant to be a reply to Ceekay, not Windwaker.
edit on 16-3-2011 by switching yard because: to clarify

If it was contained as a exterior wall of this material, but the interior was all boronated water that might be better. A gigantic contained over the ground pool.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

The foreign office have always pandered to the resident country and would never go against what the Japanese are saying - so I wouldn't trust them at all to tell us what the situation is in Japan

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

In other words, the cladding is not flammable, unless exposed to steam over time, after which it can become explosive. These rods were exposed to a great deal of steam, and the cladding may now be flammable/explosive.
The cold water striking that molten metal will be flashing to steam, so that might actually increase the likelihood of the explosion that you speak of.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is what we might be seeing in the next couple of days... this is Michio Kaku, renowned physicist on his website...

"If I had the ear of the Prime Minister, I would recommend the "Chernobyl Option."

Put the Japanese Air Force on alert
Assemble a huge fleet of helicopters. Put shielding underneath them.
Accumulate enough sand, boric acid, and concrete to smother these reactors, to entomb them forever.
This is what the Soviets did in 1986, calling out the Red Air Force and sandbagging the reactor with over 5,000 tons of concrete and sand.

We have not yet hit the point of no return. But when we do, I think the only option left is this one."

That quote was from yesterday. We could be on that point of no return now or soon.
edit on 16-3-2011 by switching yard because: to add

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUDDD
I'd imagine pouring sand over the facility would only end up glassing it over as Tektite, and in any eventuality having this spill-out as a liquid source if you put too much of the stuff over it anyway. The core itself will be burning at 3000'c, it'd be like chocolate over a fire.

I would think that's a good idea, though, because it will seal things up and buy time.
Furthermore, if the fuel-chocolate-pudding stays liquid, you can add enough boron to it to cool it down.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

they say the rods have an outer protective coating. once the rods start heating up the coating catches fire and tht is how they start to burn. not sure about an explosion but this is how they are explaining the rods catching fire in the cooling ponds with no water.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

In regards to being "Spent" as the rods are "used" the speed at which the heat transfer takes place slows down..
think of it as batteries in a flashlight....instead of waiting till the lights go out...they change em out when the bulb starts to dim a little...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Only this MOX fuel is 2 Million times more radioactive than the Chernobyl plant which used a Granite core (hence when onlookers first saw the explosion they are noted down as seeing 'rainbow-colors' of the granite being particulised as it was emitted out the core.) Even if they did manage to do this, all those hundreds of tonnes of spent-rods themselves also emit far more lethal doses of radiation, being uncontained and the chemical compound accellerating in them as it hits oxygen.
The Japanese going to have 'suicide squads' of people wandering around the plant picking these things up, if there lucky to even find any intact, or before they drop to the ground first from exposure.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Sorry if this has been posted already.

The announcement by the chairman of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Gregory Jaczko, came as the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi plant said it had almost completed a new power line that could restore electricity to the facility and avoid a meltdown.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard
This is what we might be seeing in the next couple of days... this is Michio Kaku, renowned physicist on his website...

"If I had the ear of the Prime Minister, I would recommend the "Chernobyl Option."

Put the Japanese Air Force on alert
Assemble a huge fleet of helicopters. Put shielding underneath them.
Accumulate enough sand, boric acid, and concrete to smother these reactors, to entomb them forever.
This is what the Soviets did in 1986, calling out the Red Air Force and sandbagging the reactor with over 5,000 tons of concrete and sand.

We have not yet hit the point of no return. But when we do, I think the only option left is this one."

Michio Kaku has swayed back and forth from " there is no problem" to "We have not yet hit the point of no return", At a moment like this he is the last person we need depend on for advice. I cant find the answer to the question of...Why on earth havnt the reactors been concreted before now? and why on earth are they not starting now, even if late? They have no options left !

Theres something not quite right here.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

Thanks for the link (and congratulations!
).

I have some difficulty accepting this site as reliable, however, because fo the following statement early in the article:

False! Any amount of radiation is harmful. Moreover, it's cumulative, causing cancer if one human gene is affected. Depending on the type and amount, it damages chromosomes and DNA. In her landmark book, "Nuclear Madness," Helen Caldicott said:
Source: english.pravda.ru...

There is constant background radiation everywhere on the planet that has been checked (and about all of it has been checked).

I am still coming up with sources that declare zirconium to be inflammable and non-explosive, but zirconium hydride to be both. I also found this article from Harvard University (assuming anyone here trusts Yankees
):

Reaction of Titanium and Zirconium Particles in Cylindrical Explosive Charges

Frost, David; Cairns, Malcolm; Goroshin, Samuel; Zhang, Fan
American Physical Society, 15th APS Topical Conference on Shock Compression of Condensed Matter, June 24-29,2007, abstract #P6.008

The critical conditions for the reaction of high melting-point metallic particles (Ti, Zr) dispersed during the detonation of long cylindrical explosive charges have been investigated experimentally. The charges consisted of packed beds of either spherical titanium particles (with diameters of 35, 90, or 215 μm; AP&C, Inc.) or nonspherical zirconium particles (250 -- 500 μm or 500 -- 600 μm, Atlantic Equipment Eng., NJ) saturated with sensitized liquid nitromethane. For the titanium particles, a threshold particle diameter exists, above which self-sustained particle reaction is not observed, although some particle reaction occurs immediately behind the detonation front then rapidly quenches. For the smallest particles, the proportion of the conical particle cloud that reacts increases with charge diameter, suggesting that the reaction initiation is a competition between particle heating and expansion cooling of the products. For zirconium particles, no critical conditions exist; particle ignition was observed for all particle and charge diameters tested. In this case, interaction of the high pressure detonation wave with the particles is sufficient to initiate reaction at the particle surface after a delay time (˜ 10's μs), which is much less than the time required for thermal equilibration of the particles.

This is basically saying that under explosive conditions, zirconium can become flammable, but not explosive itself. Not that surprising, considering this is probably the first time anyone has actually studied zirconium under such conditions.

If nothing else, I believe we, a ragtag group of concerned individuals from across the globe, have discovered a problem with modern nuclear plant design. I don't know about you guys, but that makes me proud.

I'm just sad it took such an event to get it investigated.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
reply to post by Wookiep

The foreign office have always pandered to the resident country and would never go against what the Japanese are saying - so I wouldn't trust them at all to tell us what the situation is in Japan

Oh, I totally agree. The U.S. seems to now be taking a more realistic approach to the situation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by windwaker

Exactly. The US just confirmed that the Japanese government hasn't been entirely truthful about what's going on. So why aren't they beginning to evacuate these people? Is saving one's reputation and honor truly more important than thousands of innocent lives? Japan is willing to make a last-ditch effort to control the plants, but they aren't willing to take precaution and evacuate everybody. I just hope that someone has enough sense to open their eyes. _javascript:icon('
')

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So now comes the moment that the truth is to reveal itself..

Thru all the lies, in the next 48, we shall see the truth of this story.

May god have mercy on the poor Japanese..

edit on 16-3-2011 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ceekay

Yes, it is a harsh statement, but also a true one. I would make a less harsh statement if I could do so and still be truthful.

It actually hurts me to post some of this stuff; I am well aware what I am saying. But it apparently comforts many to know the truth, even when that truth is harsh. And that makes it worth it for me.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks
yeah i wouldn't trust Pravda much but from your posts and other sources i've read it does seem a bad choice of material to coat your fuel rods with. It must be the cheapest option as a coating as i can't see why it would otherwise be an idea to use it at all.

Oh yeah and thanks for your posts - very interesting and informative
edit on 16-3-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: mutant spelling issues

edit on 16-3-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: more deranged grammar

top topics

<< 136  137  138    140  141  142 >>

join