Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1377
<< 1374  1375  1376    1378  1379  1380 >>

join

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I think we trust what Chris says, right?
He sure knows a lot more than me when it comes to fallout.
He says it's not fuk fallout hitting Brazil.
It still begs a lot of questions though? Why are governments raising allowable limits? Why did our own watchdogs refuse to test the public's samples, from shmoe's like me? The news blackout..... etc.
It still doesn't mean we didn't get sprayed in the first 6 months or that the ocean isn't getting poisoned but any good news is good.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What I dont understand and what I hope someone can explain to me, is this:

How can you identify a particular radioactive isotope which you have found? I mean, how does anyone know where an isotope came from.? It is not like they have labels on them, is it?

Maybe it is the particular 'mix' of isotopes that are collected in a place where the measurements are done. If this is the case, then I assume we have to know the 'mix' beforehand to enable identification of "this is Chernobyl", "this is Fukushima", "this is from xxxx"

Basically, I dont think anyone knows what the 'mix' from Fukushima contains as there are probably multiple levels of underground facility beneath and it just depends on where and how deep the core has reached at any particular moment as to what is in the 'mix'. Of course, assuming that we are correct and there are testing facilities beneath which were testing and making all kinds of things

This means that the 'mix' could change at any time.

posted on May, 4 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Honestly. You sound like a bunch of big girls.

I live in Tokyo and don't check the cesium levels in my cornflakes on the hour, every hour. Why would someone bother with that in Butt#, Winnipeg?

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Alekto

simple answer...to reduce exposure as much as possible.

My question is...why would'nt you?

Not that I would live in japan after this...but If I did I would be checking everything all the time..

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
For those busy souls and for the rest of us who have been away from the thread for a while, for each ATS page on the thread I have created a summary page where the posts are slimmed down to bare essentials, without quoted text etc.

The original images posted are linked on the left column by thumbnails, and various links lead back to the original ATS page. Links to external sources have been left in. Only the last 100 pages of the thread have been done. I hope you will find this useful. Click here To avoid off-topic posts, send comments/suggestions to me by private message.

========================
There are 2 ways to use it -
1 Copy the URL and replace the page number {pagenumber} with the one you want to view. (dont forget to place "http://" at the front of it) ** ALL PAGENUMBERS ARE 4 DIGITS ***

icnoships.pelicanbill.com/thread672665/summary_pages/672665_summarypage_{pagenumber}.htm

example for the Fukushima thread:
icnoships.pelicanbill.com/thread672665/summary_pages/672665_summarypage_1152.htm
(dont forget the 'http://' before the above)

icnoships.pelicanbill.com/thread888251/summary_pages/888251_summarypage_{pagenumber}.htm

example for the Bayou Corne Sinkhole thread:
icnoships.pelicanbill.com/thread888251/summary_pages/888251_summarypage_0011.htm
(dont forget the 'http://' before the above)

2. Go to the icnoships.pelicanbill.com site and scroll down to the bottom where there is a menu item which goes to a page (Direct page link here) which allows you to put in thread number and a page number

Only one issue at the moment. Some of the images are not available to me where I am, so there is a placeholder image which appears instead of the correct thumbnail image. Click on it to see original image.

At the moment there are only two threads which has been summarised:

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

and...

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

Any problems, please use the Contact Us page at the top right of the main icnoships.pelicanbill website or send me an ATS private message.
Direct page link here

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm simply not that worried. You all sound like paranoids with too much time on your hands.

I guess living in Winnipeg, there's not that much in the way of entertainment.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Alekto

Lemmie guess, your method of entertainment is to come on forums like this and laugh at people who actually care about something. How hypocritically excellent of you. Speaking AS a girl, you are entitled to die by your own opinion so eat all the fuku-food you want. I hear the peaches and strawberries are excellent is you don't mind the basal-cell lymphoma.

posted on May, 6 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
now, now, dont get your hair off. Everyone is entitled to kill themselves in whatever way they want. We do it all the time in other ways, smoking, drinking, etc so why not this way? He rattled your cage which is what the intention was, but it would be better to show peace love and harmony (you can tell I am an old hippie) and let others go to whatever heaven/hell they feel like.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Dont think we have had these

May 5th Enenews
Gundersen: Extremely radioactive rubble on Fukushima Reactor No. 3 has to be nuclear fuel… from either spent fuel pool or reactor! — Can’t be from simple hydrogen explosion
extra bits and photo

Ext remely radioactive debris found on the top of reactor3 North side, Tepco “Safely moved to the South side” Fukushima Diary 4th My 2013

JP Gov to lift all the hazard areas in Fukushima 7th May 2013

On 5/7/2013, Nuclear Emergency Response Headquarters of Cabinet office announced they are going to lift the hazard area in Futaba machi Fukushima as of 5/28/2013. There will be no hazard area in Fukushima. The town will be in “Evacuation order lifting preparation area” and ”Hard to return area”. The annual doses are less than 20mSv/y and over 50mSv/y. As to “Evacuation order lifting preparation area”, the regulation will be lifted after decontamination.

Japanese government is performing decontamination in Fukushima. Through this endless attempt, they produce extremely radioactive waste. They are planning to build the interim storage facility in Futaba machi.

The former town mayor, Idogawa was opposing to accept the interim storage facility before resigning.
He commented, “Like in Auschwitz camp, our DNA is massacred in Fukushima prefecture just like guinea pigs

edit on 7 May 2013 by qmantoo because: add external quote

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Why the preoccupation with Winnipeg?

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Fukushima N-Plant Workers Got Used to Radiation Shortly after Crisis

jen.jiji.com/jc/eng?g=eco&k=2013050600119

Tokyo, May 6 (Jiji Press)--Workers at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s Fukushima No. 1 plant got used to very high levels of radiation at the early stage of the nuclear crisis there in March 2011, a TEPCO teleconference video footage has shown.

This is apparently because of growing perception among the staff that being concerned too much about radiation exposure would prevent progress in work to contain the crisis at the nuclear plant, which was heavily damaged by the 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011.

According to the footage, it was reported on the night of March 14, three days after the start of the crisis, that the level of gamma ray at the main gate of the plant had reached 3.2 millisieverts per hour.

Masao Yoshida, then manager of the plant, commented that the reading had been equal to some 3,000 microsieverts.

Sakae Muto, then executive vice president of TEPCO, who was at the company's headquarters in Tokyo at that time, said, "The reading is the highest ever, isn't it?"

But Yoshida brushed aside Muto's concerns, saying, "We have already seen readings like 1,500 and 2,00 microsieverts." "Now, we don't care about (radiation levels) at all."

On the morning of March 22 the same year, the nuclear plant's medical team said that emergency health examinations would be carried out on workers whose cumulative radiation doses had topped 100 millisieverts at the instructions of the Health, Labor and Welfare Ministry's regional labor bureau in the northeastern prefecture of Fukushima, home to the crippled TEPCO plant.

The team went on to say that any worker with cumulative doses of over 100 millisieverts needed to undergo eight rounds of health checks in four weeks, according to the footage. A member of the team said that conducting such frequent health checks could help impede the work to contain the nuclear crisis.

The team also reported that it was talking with the Fukushima labor bureau so that the number of such health examinations would be reduced.

At that time, there was no doctor at the nuclear plant, and workers there had to go to TEPCO's Fukushima No. 2 nuclear plant, which is about 10 kilometers south of the Fukushima No. 1 plant, to take health examinations.

(2013/05/06-12:46)

Copyright 2013 Jiji Press LTD.

posted on May, 7 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I could be wrong but I think there might be a fire near building R3. To the left of R4 there is a red blob which is glowing brighter and then dimmer again. Can ayone confirm please?

Live video feed

Actually, now that I have watched it for a while, I think it is an orange 'thing' which the Japanese are using.

False alarm, sorry!

edit on 7 May 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Private Citizens Detect Huge Radiation Levels

FUKUSHIMA—Two parking lots in the city of Fukushima were declared off-limits to the public on May 7 after high concentrations of radioactive cesium were detected in the exposed soil there. Local authorities shut down the parking lots for emergency decontamination operations after a nonprofit organization found a maximum of 430,000 becquerels per kilogram of radioactive cesium during a survey conducted between April 29-May 2 at the behest of local residents. The Citizen’s Radioactivity Measuring Station also detected a maximum level of airborne radiation at 3.8 microsieverts per hour, above the benchmark for evacuation, at the two sites. “It's the first time that soil with cesium levels exceeding 100,000 becquerels was found on the grounds of an urban area, not in sludge accumulated in ditches," said a city official in charge of decontamination work. The CRMS measured exposed soil radiation levels at three locations in a parking lot for a municipal library and public hall in Matsuki, and at four locations in a parking lot for a prefectural library and museum in Moriai. The exposed soil had accumulated to a height of 1 to 3 centimeters around the edges of the parking lots or in sunken parts of the surface, mixed with fragments of dead leaves and other material. The survey at the Matsuki parking lot found radioactive cesium concentrations of 220,000 or more becquerels per kilogram of soil, with the highest level at 433,772 becquerels. The survey at the Moriai parking lot detected concentrations of 120,000 or more becquerels per kilogram, with the maximum level of 289,144 becquerels. Airborne radiation levels at a height of 1 meter ranged between 0.6 and 3.8 microsieverts per hour at the two sites. The CRMS was established in July 2011 after complaints were raised that the central and local governments were not offering sufficient monitoring systems. According to the Environment Ministry, the central government plans to dispose of sludge, incinerator ash and other substances with radioactive levels of more than 8,000 becquerels caused by the accident at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant. It plans to keep those containing radioactive levels of more than 100,000 becquerels at a temporary storage facility. After the nuclear disaster, decontamination operations were conducted in gutters and other areas at the Matsuki site and on grass at the Moriai site. But the parking lots themselves at the two sites were not decontaminated. In addition to visitors to the facilities, local residents, including students, usually enter the sites for walking and extracurricular activities. Ikuro Anzai, professor emeritus at Ritsumeikan University versed in radiation protection, has been involved in decontamination operations at nursery schools and other facilities in Fukushima city. Anzai warned that radiation hotspots still remain that were overlooked after decontamination work was conducted. “The public and private sectors must cooperate to keep people's exposure to radiation to a minimum by frequently measuring radiation levels and removing radioactive materials,” he said.

ajw.asahi.com...

I hope this private citizen's group doesn't start experiencing a bunch of "accidental" deaths among their members.

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Q, you are amazing!! Very appreciative of all your efforts to keep the info posted on this thread organized!!

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

As long as Tepco doesn't dump fuel rods in his corn flakes he doesn't give a damn what happens anywhere else, WW / Q.

After a series of blunders, miscalculations and unresolved problems, Tokyo Electric Power Co. adopted a new strategy to avoid a total collapse of its system for handling radioactive water at its crippled nuclear plant.
“We would like to release that water into the ocean if we can gain the understanding of the relevant officials,” Toshihiko Fukuda, who heads TEPCO's Nuclear Quality and Safety Management Department, said at a May 7 news conference.

Quite a string of wells eh?

ajw.asahi.com...

Marco Kaltofan announced last week some new understanding of the strange radioactive black sand being found in Japan. The substance has been found in parking lots and street gutters in some far flung areas including Minamisoma, Fukushima City, Tokyo and various locations in and around the evacuation zone.
The substance measured 1.5 MBq per kg (mega-becqurels). The following were found in the sample:
Cesium 134
Cesium 137
Cobalt 60
Radium 226
Yttrium
Rare earths
Thorium
Lead
www.simplyinfo.org...

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
reply to post by Alekto

Lemmie guess, your method of entertainment is to come on forums like this and laugh at people who actually care about something. How hypocritically excellent of you. Speaking AS a girl, you are entitled to die by your own opinion so eat all the fuku-food you want. I hear the peaches and strawberries are excellent is you don't mind the basal-cell lymphoma.

I tell you what. You buy it for me, and I'll eat it. I'm not that worried about it. I will even give it to my one year old daughter, and I'll have no qualms doing so.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo

False alarm, sorry!

edit on 7 May 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

This whole thread is. A whole lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over cesium levels found in asparagus samples in Idaho or wherever. Not one person can attribute a single high radiation case categorically to the events of Fukushima. It smacks of doom mongering. I think some of you actually enjoy it.

posted on May, 8 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Last time I wailed it was because I broke my toe, dang-it, but I was drunk and it was hilarious until I woke up 8 hours later with a killer hangover and a purple foot.

Fed the troll, bad me. Hopefully it will go away eventually just like all the others.

Tidbit.

posted on May, 9 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Cesium 137 has a half-life of 30 years, 134 of 2 years. Can the cocktail be used as an indicator of what was going on in the reactor (or underground complex) ? Some of those compounds I have not heard of. Yttrium at wikipedia is interesting

Yttrium isotopes are among the most common products of the nuclear fission of uranium occurring in nuclear explosions and nuclear reactors. In terms of nuclear waste management, the most important isotopes of yttrium are 91Y and 90Y, with half-lives of 58.51 days and 64 hours, respectively. Though 90Y has the short half-life, it exists in secular equilibrium with its long-lived parent isotope, strontium-90 (90Sr) with a half-life of 29 years.
What numbers are these isotopes found in the black stuff?

At the bottom of that article linked above by Aircooled we have...

TEPCO officials apparently never considered 400 tons of groundwater would flow into the reactor buildings on a daily basis.
If that figure of 400 tons is correct, then 1 cubic meter of water weighs 1 tonne ( cubic metre thats 400 cubic metres of water per day they have to dump somewhere...

If they can get 'approval' for this dumping into the ocean, then they will need to dump more in a few weeks time and a few weeks after that, and so on. Once 'approval' is given, it will open the slippery slope for Tepco to not ask again in the future.

But, what else can be done?

top topics

<< 1374  1375  1376    1378  1379  1380 >>

join