Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1375
<< 1372  1373  1374    1376  1377  1378 >>

join

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Fukushima Cleanup: IAEA Says Japan Nuclear Cleanup May Take More Than 40 Years

www.huffingtonpost.com...

A U.N. nuclear watchdog team said Japan may need longer than the projected 40 years to decommission its tsunami-crippled nuclear plant and urged its operator to improve plant stability.

This is insanity.
edit on 4/22/2013 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

That's a severe understatement on Japan's part. They have to stop the leaks before they can start the cleanup...

TY for story...

Des

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Anyone want to give odds on tepco stopping those leaks in the next 40 years?

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled

"Radioactive cesium levels exceeding 100,000 becquerels per kilogram were measured in mud accumulated at the bottom of swimming pools at two high schools in and around Fukushima city."
So it's in the kids swimming pools now. They swim in it, breath it, eat it, and it rains down on them.

ajw.asahi.com...

Lucky the kids have all that water between them and the radioactive waste that's sitting just a few feet away from them. Does any one know what the Bq/Kg level is for spent fuel? It cant be that much more then this stuff. I understand that right after fission has stopped the levels are enormous but there has to be some spent fuel on the Daiichi site that is less radioactive then this stuff. I think the Japanese Gov. should be charged with crimes against humanity.

Crimes against humanity, as defined by the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court Explanatory Memorandum, "are particularly odious offenses in that they constitute a serious attack on human dignity or grave humiliation or a degradation of human beings. They are not isolated or sporadic events, but are part either of a government policy (although the perpetrators need not identify themselves with this policy) or of a wide practice of atrocities tolerated or condoned by a government or a de facto authority.

Seems quite fitting in this situation.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Sorry if thia has been posted...going to try and get back in the swing here..and may post things that have been covered until I catch up

IAEA tells Tepco to improve critical systems at Fukushima No. 1

The International Atomic Energy Agency on Monday called on Tokyo Electric Power Co., operator of the crippled Fukushimanuclear power plant, to improve “essential systems” as it struggles to deal with leaks and power cuts.

Tepco should continue its efforts to improve the reliability ofessential systems, to assess the structural integrity ofsite facilities and to enhance protection against external hazards,” the U.N. nuclear watchdog said in a statement.

Japan times

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by Destinyone

Anyone want to give odds on tepco stopping those leaks in the next 40 years?

Odds are funny things. Any odds that are even the smallest fraction of a percent short of 100% are an admission that there will be a failure in the future. The problem is that most of the time with very complex and/or dangerous situations, all the factors are not fully known and there could be factors that were not accounted for. AND THEY DON'T HAVE A REAL CLUE AS TO WHEN.

If you work with industrial ball bearings you have to take into account the MTBF factor when you choose a bearing for your design. MTBF stands for Mean Time Between Failures. It is a factor that gives you the ODDS that a particular bearing will fail within a certain time frame under a certain load and at a certain speed. But this number does not apply to the individual bearing. Rather, it applies to the average expected life of a group of bearings. The larger the size of the group, the more accurate the MTBF factor becomes. These failures can be plotted on a bell distribution curve for large numbers of bearings but there is no way of knowing where a single bearing will fall on that curve.

This same principle applies to the safety factors of nuclear power plants. The more plants included in the study the more accurate the odds of failure become. But yet again, there is absolutely no way of knowing when a single nuclear plant will fail. If you tell me it is 99.9999% safe you are also telling me that it is 0.0001% unsafe. Like the bearings in the example above, there is no way of knowing when the odds will run out for an individual plant.

They almost did run out last week for the La Salle nuclear plant near Chicago Illinois. It almost reached the point of uncontrolled meltdown and was saved with, literally, minutes to spare. If it had failed it would have been a Fukushima level event upwind of a major U S city.

IMHO, they should shut down and decommission all nuclear plants and find a safe way to shoot the waste into space and into the sun. But some idiot cutting corners or trying to meet a deadline will almost assuredly screw up and crash one of the rockets back into the earth. In fact, that idiot will probably screw up any method of "safe" disposal.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Fukushima Leaks Won’t Seep Beyond Plant for Decades, IAEA Says

Radioactive water leaks at the Fukushima atomic station won’t seep beyond the plant for decades, the International Atomic Energy Agency said, citing data provided by operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501)

Notice where the data came from? Yeah right

“This water will only reach the boundary of the site after several tens of years,” Lentijo said. Tepco, as the plant’s operator is known, must in the meantime monitor the water and prevent public exposure, he said.

Source

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

IMHO, they should shut down and decommission all nuclear plants and find a safe way to shoot the waste into space and into the sun. But some idiot cutting corners or trying to meet a deadline will almost assuredly screw up and crash one of the rockets back into the earth. In fact, that idiot will probably screw up any method of "safe" disposal.

I think you are so correct!!

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Wow...Unit 3 Debris Removal - SFP

www.tepco.co.jp...

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Entombment an option for reactors? Pay attention Tepco....

Just released document on the subject...

cryptome.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
How do you entomb something which has long-since left the building and is now burrowing its way to the centre of the earth?

It would make an easy "sticking plaster" aproach for Tepco and they can then say in a couple of years time "The entombment is leaking, Oh dear, what shall we do?".

Everyone will sigh a sigh of relief to get a solution (yes, any solution will do!) and as long as the evidence is covered up, then Japan will be happy bunnies since no-one will be digging around under there for a good number of centuries.

The other thing which may not be covered in that possibly hastily-produced "scientific document", is that the lab research is done at working reactors where the cores are intact and containable. These ones are NOT, and so it also means that the ocean will continue to be contaminated but NO-ONE WILL BE MONITORING IT and reporting it. Out of sight, out of mind. Good job boys.

THIS IS A BAD IDEA for the world and all of us in my opinion (but I am not an expert in anything related). However, it is a direction in which the nuclear authorities will probably prefer to go.

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I know I speak for purple when I say it's so good to see you guys and gals back again. We were starting to here ecko's around here and wondering if it was looking real empty, here in the fuk skunkworks. Okie, you don't know me because I had 0 computer skills when this started, so all I could do was read along. Then K-dog introduced me to some groups on FB where folks who slowly taught me how to move info, screencap, embed, etc.
Sure is a boost!

Today's rain.
I had rain from the east the other day. It was low. That's got to mean something. It got me to thinking? Why isn't it ever hot when it comes from the east? I've never had hot rain from the east once. Only when it's from the west. Do these "Pseudo-experts" think their radon/bananas washout only occur when it's from the west?
Makes no sence, right?

edit on 24-4-2013 by Aircooled because: Type-O, lol

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Hey, good to hear from you OC and DOne! Not many old-timers left, but PC, Q, AC, KDog (Z - who seems to be MIA right now) and a few others have been keeping the "skunkworks" from getting buried. Of course we have a fair numbers of mostly lurkers like me these days who seem to need my Fuku-doom fix in between sleeping for a living. Glad to have your contributions! Mostly, we're f*cked as ever and pretty much what Redneck, Silverlock, and the brilliant minds in this early days figured was happening, was going to happen, and was likely to happen, has happened. In case sucks to be right.

The new normal is not "eat your veggies" it's "wash your root veggies in BS (baking soda, but it works the other way also).

Welcome back!

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
In my effort to get back up to speed, I have stumbled across some very interesting reading..

It is about the secret plans and missions of the Sdf (self defense force) in the early days following the disaster..

Things like how they were ordered to remove protective gear as to not panic the citizens..

And lists some of the exposure rates of soldiers that were on site during the "hydrogen explosion" event..

Looks like it has been a several part series I have not read it all yet...but it is a reminder of what went down..

I can't help but wonder what kind of shape these guys are in today..

Anyway...hope this is new to at least someone..

Articles

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Thank you for the welcome..
I do feel I know you, as I have been following your updates somewhat

I just hope I can be of use around here after I knock some dust off

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

Thanks! Yeah some of the worst moments in life came back in those early days, when we were figuring out how bad this was going to get and there was nothing we could do...

Yeah alot of us changed our eating habits pretty quick

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As far as "entombment" is concerned, first I apologize. When I stumbled across that article, I was standing at an elevator waiting for the dang thing to get to my floor, and of course just as I was posting it, the damned doors opened and I've not had a chance to further comment since then. Heck, I'm happy that it actually posted considering where I was.

Okay, when you read the article, as was stated above, everything was based on "best case scenario". Happy days, flowers blooming outside, kids and puppies running around and playing, you know, everything was just rosy.

And then, we look at Fuk.

Why I posted that, was simply because we have all heard that one of their options was entombment, which simply isn't possible for what we are now dealing with. There are no happy days here, and we most likely have at least one core on a slow burn to the core of the planet.

THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY GOOD SOLID CASE SCENARIOS that they can point to and say - "See, this is why our plan will work".

Everything is based on the best case scenario.

As an engineer, the fact that these plants are online, and all of their parameters for the plants are based on these types of reports, gauging that "surely things can't get any worse than "this" scenario", makes me horribly upset.

Oh, and BTW, it's good to be back, I'm finally off the road for awhile.

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Why do I get nervous everytime they mess with things

Tepco has shut down the spent fuel pool cooling system for unit #3 at F. Daiichi. They are replacing the temporary power supply with a “multiplex distribution system”. The company believes the change-over will take about 33 hours. They estimate that pool’s water temperature will increase about 5 o C during the shutdown. It was at 16 o C when the system was turned off. Tepco says, "There is no problem. The water temperature was low enough at 16 degrees when it was shut down." The company also said they will shut down the SFP cooling system for unit #4 as soon as unit #3’s system is re-energized. Unit #4 SFP cooling will be down for about nine hours.

Source

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Arnie and Helen. Even Helen can't get Arnie to "Spit it out"
www.fairewinds.org...

We transfered the leaking radioactive water from one leaking pool to another leaking pool, but it leaked out. Imagine that! So sorry. It's only 1.1 million bequerels...... today.
fukushima-diary.com...

The crap they hand us. This isn't even worth reading.
Just stupid babble. We're trying to build a filtration system that works, so we can restart the other reactors
{Are the Crazy?????}
but don't know what the hell we're doing. Give us 20 years.... maybe 30

"Cost-cutting is a key issue"...... Where have we heard that before?
Should we start the next KABOOM thread now?

www.japantimes.co.jp...

Let the kids roast!

Japan court rejects demand to evacuate children while acknowledging radiation risks on health.
www.washingtonpost.com... /24/d10f5362-ad5a-11e2-a8e6-b6e4cc7c49d1_story.html

Oh, a footenote on my rain vid. While posting at a small Canadian FB group today, instead of looking at the geiger I was watching the water come out of the down spout. Note the dark foam bubbles. Those are a little unsettling. I'm wondering if that's the same hot black crap that my buddy is getting in Brazil? I have no cement around my place, but I'll rig up something to catch the black crap, if that's what it is? A tarp on the grass? the old tub we wash the mutts in? Something
By the way, his insane last sample of 56 microsieverts per hour is on it's way to Busby for a complete testing. Four days later the paper towel was still reading 27 microsieverts. We'll see what Busby says?
edit on 25-4-2013 by Aircooled because: I forgot. You know.....

posted on Apr, 25 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Regarding your samples and testing, about where are you located? How far inland is it?
If you don't mind me asking..

Also commenting on the hell bent for leather attitude of starting up the other reactors...I read they have a shipment of MOX fuel coming in from france for that...what ever happened with the MOX plant there, do you know? I know at one time they were able or almost able to produce it in country.

new topics

top topics

<< 1372  1373  1374    1376  1377  1378 >>

join