Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1365
<< 1362  1363  1364    1366  1367  1368 >>

join

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive
reply to post by Silverlok

Yup -- been one hell of an education on this thread! The next big thing is when TEPCO starts taking out the spent fuel. The deterioration going on in the pools has to be rather significant and each EQ adds to the instability.

- Purple Chive

A couple of things I have seen written about the spent fuel pools indicate that there has been severe physical damage to the zirconium cans that hold the fuel. That means that when they try to remove some of them they are going to be dealing with crumbled fuel and cans. Consider it like trying to move a lit Tiki torch with a full reservoir of kerosene compared to moving that same torch after someone smashes it to bits and it is still burning. That does not make for a pretty picture.

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Some footage from the big "Oops" at R #3.

Some ground readings from our Bud in Japan.

U.S. Serviceman after Fukushima: “Radiation that high becomes its own source of power… It will actually feed, it will grow” — 60,000cpm helicopter part, “The nuclear guys just kind of went nuts”
enenews.com... zy-nuclear-guys-kind-nuts-video

Sue the truth.
In reporting on the serious disaster at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant, many reporters have met with restricted access, lack of transparency and even lawsuits.
www.japantimes.co.jp...

Grand Rapids Minnesota.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

creep is the tendency of a solid material to move slowly or deform permanently

deepblue.lib.umich.edu...;jsessionid=50187086B8556B7139C5940D90467171?sequence=5

This book is good read:
books.google.com... =en&sa=X&ei=RcsYUYv5MYes8QTF8YGwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAg

- Purple Chive
edit on 11-2-2013 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Some footage from the big "Oops" at R #3.

Wish they had an audio going....probably a lot of expletives would be heard!

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

creep is the tendency of a solid material to move slowly or deform permanently

deepblue.lib.umich.edu...;jsessionid=50187086B8556B7139C5940D90467171?sequence=5

This book is good read:
books.google.com... =en&sa=X&ei=RcsYUYv5MYes8QTF8YGwAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAg

- Purple Chive

Actually, I was referring more to the physical damage done by the collapsing handling machinery and the building. There was one report that said that one of the videos showed several bent or otherwise damaged fuel rod units.

That kind of damage and the extreme heat and radiation exposure to the fuel assemblies from water loss is a game changer.

Thanks for the PDF info. It will be useful eventually when we start seeing some of the undamaged but aging reactors worldwide starting to go bad. But at Fukushima there is so much other physical damage that the zirconium and boron stabilization is going be be a minor player at best when they start to remove some of the bent and broken fuel assemblies.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Very much agree Kat. Curious to see what effect the drastic temp variations the SFP and how the zircaloy cladding has held up.
Unit 3 SPF temp Feb. 11, 2013:

9.2℃ (2/11 11:00 現在)

www.tepco.co.jp...

Unit 3 SPF temp Feb. 11, 2012:

25.9℃ (as of 11:00 , 2/11 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

May 18, 2011:

62℃ (as of 5/8)

www.tepco.co.jp...

As with any metal...drastic variations in temp can expedite its decay.

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
rip'n pictures from the news, the last helicopter overfly from feb 2013:

sankei.jp.msn.com...

and an other example of the non-danger from radioactivity:

some population of this creature are found :

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nuckelchen

That film really stinks Knuck! Phone up tepco and tear a strip off them. lol. Not even fly-over footage. Just some crappy blurry stills. I'm guessing you zoomed in on the roof of #2 at the end, because you think those are holes in the roof?
I don't know if they airbrushed the road in between the csfp and #4 to hide something or if it's steaming, but it's sure blurry.

Old Happy the Tepco damage control worker has another "Don't worry" answer for us. {Again, after the fact}
ex-skf.blogspot.ca...

Hey, you know that black stuff, the guy in Brazil has been finding in his rain?
Sort of like nuclear soot?
I can't help wondering if this is the same crap?
Oh guess what? The CBS link is dead, {How strange eh?} but I found another one.
What’s The Mysterious Black Dust Blanketing The San Gabriel Valley?
losangeles.cityandpress.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
16:53 13 February
2 more thyroid cancer cases identified in Fukushima

FUKUSHIMA, Japan, Feb. 13, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2013/02/209091.html

A Fukushima prefectural government panel said Wednesday two young people, who were 18 or younger when the nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi complex erupted in March 2011, have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, bringing the total number of such cases to three.

Reporting the finding at a meeting of the panel on the health impact from the disaster, Shinichi Suzuki, professor at Fukushima Medical University, said it is too early to link the cases to the nuclear accident as the 1986 Chernobyl disaster demonstrates that it takes at least four to five years before thyroid cancer is detected.

The three people have been doing well since undergoing surgery, according to Suzuki.

Radioactive iodine released in nuclear accidents tends to accumulate in thyroid glands, particularly in young people. In the Chernobyl disaster, a noticeable increase in thyroid cancer cases was detected among children in the affected area.

Local authorities in Fukushima Prefecture, home of the crippled nuclear plant, are examining the thyroid glands of those who were under 18 at the time of the nuclear crisis to check if they have been affected by the radiation.

Among the 360,000 people, around 38,000 were checked in fiscal 2011, of whom 10, including the three thyroid cancer cases, are suspected of suffering from some form of cancer. The average age of the 10 people is around 15 and seven of them are women.

The remaining seven are undergoing medical examinations at the university.

Copyright 2013 Kyodo News
edit on 13-2-2013 by wujotvowujotvowujotvo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Unit 3: Underwater Look at the Big Oops

www.tepco.co.jp...

Things don't look good down there:
photo.tepco.co.jp...

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Unit 4: No More Pretending to Hide

You can't get more deliberate than this:
photo.tepco.co.jp...

photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 13-2-2013 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

Even their new elevator shaft is scrubbed out.

One word .... comeuppance.
Sharp increase in Fukushima doctors who don’t feel well physically since 3/11 — More than 3 times as many now say their health condition is not good. Smile idiots!
enenews.com...

Meanwhile, here in north America, scientists keep lying and covering up for the nuke gang.
TV: Record numbers of sickened sea lion pups in So. California — “Something has changed” — “We are prepping in the back of our heads for the worst case scenario”
enenews.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Location Grand Rapids, MN, US

Altitude 1,319 feet
Geiger Counter Model PRM-9000
Beginning time 02/13/13 01:07:44 PM
Ending time 02/13/13 02:12:45 PM
Elapsed Minutes 64

Total Counts 6,041
Average CPM 94
Minimum CPM 78
Maximum CPM 124
Last Alert Level Set (CPM) 100

Minimum CPM occurred 02/13/13 01:07:44 PM
Maximum CPM occurred 02/13/13 01:18:44 PM
Alert Level first exceeded 02/13/13 01:18:44 PM
Alert Level last exceeded 02/13/13 02:10:36 PM

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Unit 3: FPC skimmer surge tank level

They really filled it up:

6.76m (as of 11:00 , 2/14 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

Usually hangs out around 3 meters:

2.91m (as of 11:00 , 2/13 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

Wonder why?

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

It looks like they were using this pic to do an optical soundness assessment:

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Sorry Purple.
From my back yard to yours.
OTTAWA — Highly radioactive nuclear reactor fuel rods are to be clandestinely shipped by road from Chalk River to the United States under a non-proliferation effort to rid the Upper Ottawa Valley site of bomb-grade uranium.
News of the spent fuel shipment follows a Citizen report Monday about separate preparations to transport a lethal brew of liquid weapons-grade uranium by armed convoy through Eastern Ontario to a South Carolina reprocessing site.

Read more: www.ottawacitizen.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Aircooled

It looks like they were using this pic to do an optical soundness assessment:

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

I opened that PDF report and my first thought was that if they put as much effort into solving the problems with the spent fuel pools as they did in making that fancy shmancy report they might actually accomplish something.

But some things never change. Bureaucrats will always find ways to waste time and money trying to make it look like they are doing what they are supposed to.

A good analogy is the engineer who would never even consider designing a control with five relays if he could get it to work with twenty five relays. They have to show their bosses that they are earning their pay checks.

Case in point, I actually did control design as part of my engineering and repair business. One of my customers had a whole bunch of hydraulic broaching machines and some of them were quite old and in need of a control upgrade. The typical control for one of the more complex machines contained anywhere from twenty five to forty relays along with other circuit components. I designed a control that did everything any of them did and more using three relays. Two of them were for the control and the third was for the anti tie down anti repeat safety circuit. I only had to add two more relays as interfaces if I was using proximity sensor limit switches instead of mechanical switches. My control worked so well and was so reliable that the customer ordered a brand new machine without the factory control and had me install mine instead. For any engineers reading this, I accomplished this by using switching logic instead of throwing another relay or two at each function I was implementing.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
A recent pic of #3, I came across.

From that batch of recently released old pics, I found this jem. I'm sure this is the same line that was pumping out rads NE of #1. There was a stairway ahead of that pit.

Reactor2 temperature jumped up by 120℃ within 12 hours
fukushima-diary.com...

An old paper but I thought I'd toss it in.
United Nations Agency Confirms Fukushima 1 Melted Before Arrival of Tsunami
www.nukefree.org...

Indian Point: The individual was pronounced dead at 1712 EST on 2/7/2013. Both Units remain at 100% power.

Cook nuke plant {Whadda name eh?} in Michigan:
“Obviously, it’s quite rare” for bones to turn up in a nuclear plant’s water intake system,
{Insert any joke you like here!}
enenews.com... rare
edit on 17-2-2013 by Aircooled because: Forgot something.... you know....

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Simulated Image Unit 1

www.tepco.co.jp...

and Unit 5 & 6 leakage:
photo.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Even meteorites aren't safe here.
Meteorite is irradiated BY EARTH!
tekknorg.wordpress.com...