It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 136.htm
<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

tweeter probably can't handle the load, im sure just about everyone is commenting on the situation worldwide

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I guess they have a target now. I hope there aren't any terrs reading this.

Please don't think that I am letting the cat out of the bag on this...In fact if you ready the study that I linked..that's what the study is about...This idea has been around for a while

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

I think you have found it, real news is slow to develop. Reading between the lines of the BBC seems to help fill in the gaps imo.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
If power is what they need why don't they do what us ranchers do. Just plug one extension cord into another one and plug into a nearby house... LOL

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Now the Canadians are reporting water leak at a Nuclear Plant, only 40km Northeast of Toronto.

toronto.ctv.ca...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

At least it has nothing to do with the cooling systems. Just used to supply steam to the generators according to the article.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Now I understand why the US government told it's citizens to evacuate 80km around the plant and the Japanese are still saying 20km.

US nuclear agency chief says no water in spent fuel pool at Japan plant; Japan denies it

The chief of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday that all the water is gone from one of the spent fuel pools at Japan's most troubled nuclear plant, but Japanese officials denied it.

If NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko is correct, this would mean there's nothing to stop the fuel rods from getting hotter and ultimately melting down. The outer shell of the rods could also ignite with enough force to propel the radioactive fuel inside over a wide area.

finance.yahoo.com...

The US government believes that an explosion is imminent now that there is no water in the spent fuel rod pool.
The Japanese government seems to be in denial.

edit on 3/16/2011 by Erasurehead because: Forgot link

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Here's a link to your comments. Water empty in #4 holding

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

What are your sources in Japan telling you?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
reply to post by butcherguy

I guess they have a target now. I hope there aren't any terrs reading this.

Please don't think that I am letting the cat out of the bag on this...In fact if you ready the study that I linked..that's what the study is about...This idea has been around for a while
Yes, I'm sorry about that.

I am sure they have a list of plans and targets that would surprise us and make us cringe.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I just checked out hiroshi_shinji ustream.tv page which has a live Geiger counter running in Tokyo. The current reading is 23.27 cpm. I think that this is higher than it was this morning.

If I read from an earlier post correctly, this is near the limit of safety for human exposure, which is 30 cpm.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Don't panic; this is normal.

Parts wear out. Period. The pump seal will be replaced in a matter of hours and in the meantime one of the redundant back-ups will be functioning to take the load. When replaced, this pump will become a back-up for when that one shows signs of wear.

Nuclear plants are very hardy machines, made to handle almost anything. These in Japan took a 9.0 magnitude quake and a devastating tsunami to boot, plus a complete electric grid loss and the myriad of strong aftershocks. In that sense, I think they fared pretty well overall.

Not to lessen the tragedy that is evolving, of course, just an engineering observation. Normal operational anomalies should not be considered worse than they are just because of what is happening in Japan.

TheRedneck

link   

Originally posted by windwaker
I just checked out hiroshi_shinji ustream.tv page which has a live Geiger counter running in Tokyo. The current reading is 23.27 cpm. I think that this is higher than it was this morning.

If I read from an earlier post correctly, this is near the limit of safety for human exposure, which is 30 cpm.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes i though it was 17 few hours back

link   
reply to post by windwaker

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

There is a risk of explosion in the spent fuel rods? I wasn't aware they could explode... do you know exactly what the mechanism for explosion could be?

Melting down I understand, although I doubt it would melt as hot or as fast as active fuel rods... could the explosion risk be from the heat produced acting on nearby facilities?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Forgive me if I am watching something old here on CNN but I am watching and the girl reporting said she just got word that Unit #4 is believed to have just experienced another hydrogen explosion and the zirconium has gotten so hot it is interacting with the water creating hydrogen and it is being described as "very very serious" & "life threatening". (Although the life threatening I believe was directed at the workers there) I had the volume down when I was watching this but they are saying something to the effect that some expert says the water level is down very far/gone.

WATCHING CNN LIVE
edit on 16-3-2011 by xxPUSH0Noo because: added extra facts & noticed a misspelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
You have to hand it to them....they have a ton of guts and are doing everything humanly possible (including sacrificing health and safety) to try to get this situation under control:

2014: A special police van equipped with a water cannon - normally used to disperse rioters - meanwhile arrived at the power station early on Thursday. Tepco plans to use the cannon to spray water onto reactor 4's spent fuel storage pond. The cannon is thought to be strong enough to allow engineers to remain a safe distance from the complex and limit their exposure to radiation.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I've been worried about those rods "exploding" - others seem to think that isn't possible though.

Also, if the US was that worried wouldn't they have just called for a complete evac instead of a zone?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

How it could explode is not clear to me. According to the article in the link I posted:

The outer shell of the rods could also ignite with enough force to propel the radioactive fuel inside over a wide area.

finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

top topics

<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join