It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 135.htm
<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Please tell me how they can say that the New Power Lines are almost up and running????

Today is the first time I had heard they were putting up new power lines - what a mess there, hate to say it but I doubt this will work - hope I am wrong. Also what does almost mean - wish we had a time line.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Exactly right. If there is a meltdown, all the cooling in the world will only delay release by a small margin. If there is also a breach, it will send radioactive steam into the environment.

My best guess right now is they want to reduce the ground radiation levels temporarily to convince us to help with evac.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I'm sorry, it's just that in my neck of the woods, electric does not flow through ripped wires and water does not flow through hanking broken pipes.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They should have done a gradually phased-in evacuation starting a couple of days ago - kids, elderly, sick, etc, going first. The problem now is that one more explosion (or something else bad) could trigger a mass panic, in turn leading to millions of people all trying to rush out of the Tokyo area in one, big, chaotic mass.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

People are there, and they are planning on sending more in at various points. How close can they get and work? I don't know.

Yes and mark my word those people that are there will soon be unable to work...and those that are leaving are being locked up to prevent spreading

No need for a 50 fireman. A truck crane and a fire pumper set up and rolled in could be sufficient. In and out.

My question is..why? As I linked to a study done by the U.S. in a other post, if the spent fuel pool is on fire...it can not be put out.

cooling a reactor that has been breeched is pointless....putting out a fuel rod fire is not going to happen..

and they are saying the fuel rod pool is now on fire...

why waste people and resources...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by blackcat99

um, We all saw the pictures of the plant. Pipes hanging, electrical wires hanging, wall missing, fire, etc. They can not get near the reactor's so, Please tell me how they can say that the New Power Lines are almost up and running????
I am glad to see someone is seeing it like I do.

TEPCO is spouting BS when they say things like this. Possibly two breached reactor containments and burning spent fuel rod storage..... Okay everything is just fine.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

That is what I thought it is all very odd - and I am wondering why they are saying things like that

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

I'm sorry, it's just that in my neck of the woods, electric does not flow through ripped wires and water does not flow through hanking broken pipes.

I'm only going by earlier reports that stated the only hope they had was to get electrical supply to the pumps which can move a great volume of water, and possibly keep this from "worsening"

But as always these reports could be intentionally put out by the Japanese to give as Redneck said: "false hope" in order to prevent mass panic.

There is too many conflicting reports to really get any truth here, I suppose trying to be optimistic in the face of what could happen isn't a bad thing.... when it is the only thing left.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I agree, its beyond tragic.

In a way, I was relieved to see this news, in light of the confirmation
of the spent fuel rods onsite - burning.

But then again my heart sunk for those left there, and its hard not to be upset
as I think they should have moved everyone days ago out of this zone,

Let the ones who wish to stay and be first responders -

Its about time, I think its a bit late:

US breaks with Japan over power plant warnings

www.tri-cityherald.com...#

Yet, there is still humanitarian aid ongoing -

With the arrival of three more ships to the massive humanitarian mission, there were 17,000 sailors and Marines afloat on 14 vessels in waters off Japan, Defense Department spokesman Col. Dave Lapan said. He didn’t have the number of U.S. forces participating from other service branches.

The operation is fraught with challenges, mainly how to continue to provide help amid some low-level releases of radiation from the troubled Fukushima Dai-ichi facility, which officials fear could be facing a meltdown.

www.militarytimes.com...
edit on 16-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Not to derail the thread but I want everyone to keep this in the back of their minds while the events in Japan unfold..

Japan has 53 nuke plants....last count I had...the U.S. has 104...

The quantity of spent fuel is often measured in terms of metric tons of heavy metal (MTHM), based on the fresh (pre-irradiation) form of the fuel.

As of early 2008, about 57,000 MTHM of commercial spent fuel was in storage across the USA, in 35 states. This stock of fuel is growing at the rate of about 2,000 MTHM annually

source

I support nuke power...but what we as people on this planet have to figure out ..is what to do with the spent fuel.

just imagine if on 9/11 the target had been spent fuel pool instead of buidlings.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

just imagine if on 9/11 the target had been spent fuel pool instead of buidlings.
I guess they have a target now.

I hope there aren't any terrs reading this.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I already have. I'm not anti-nuclear power. I'm anti-stupidity about doing it wrong.

Drill 3000 M sub-ground into a active subduction fault. (straight down subduction, no slip-strike).

Preferably a sub-ocean one. Insert spent rods. When you get to filled to an appropriate level, then cement over. As the ground subducts, it'll continue to push the the spent fuel down into the mantle.
edit on 2011/3/16 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
US nuke agency reporting no more water in the storage pools.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Are there any absolute confirmed facts we know?

Besides the obvious?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
US Nuclear Agency Chief Says No More Water in Spent Fuel Pool at Troubled Japan Plant

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Why is a very good question right now... I am starting to wonder if this isn't some sort of cover-up... a way to keep some sort of hope alive to keep TEPCO's butts out of a sling. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened, although it could be the most tragic before all is said and done.

Our boys are there now and they will do what they can, but they are not going to walk head-first into a nuclear meltdown area! At least I hope not...

Of course, this may also cause some diplomatic tensions between the US and Japan, and retaliation by dumping bonds might result.... yeah, wrong thread, need to get on projectvxn's thread... sorry.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

That idea needs some ironing out, but it actually sounds like it might be feasible!

Nice going!

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
here an fall out map of chernobyl.. gives an good impression how its spread world wide..

qed.princeton.edu...:Student/Radioactive_fall-out_from_the_Chernobyl_accident

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Speechless...I never thought such a massive screw up was possible. This is worse than a horror movie.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
What's the best breaking news wire on the nuke plant situation?

I've been shuttling back & forth with BBC and Reuters blogs, Kyodo, and NHK linked off CNN.

Anything more up to the minute than these?

Thanks!

By the way, Twitter seems to be down a minute ago due to "technical difficulties."
edit on 16-3-2011 by switching yard because: to add

new topics

top topics

<< 132  133  134    136  137  138 >>

join