Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1337
<< 1334  1335  1336    1338  1339  1340 >>

join

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Originally posted by Syphon
For the longest time I thought this thread had up and vanished. For some reason this thread is only visible in the "Crisis in Japan" forum if you are logged in. I rarely browse the site while logged in so I've missed it.

Anyway, glad to see that this thread is still alive and kicking, though slightly concerned that a valuable resource is being missed by those of us who don't routinely log into the site.
edit on 5-9-2012 by Syphon because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure why it doesn't show up in the "Japan" forum list when logged out (and you're right, it doesn't seem to be there), but there is a work-around.

This is the number-one thread in the "all-time" list. You can access it either by clicking on "Top Topics" then "all-time summary", or if you want to save time, just bookmark the direct link to the all-time top threads page
and you'll find it there. If you can't easily bookmark, copy and paste the above link into a notepad or Word page (in Word you can make it into a clickable link) and save that on your desktop or whereever.

Another way is to copy and paste the direct link to this thread into Word or notepad.

And yes, this method works even when you're not logged in. I just logged out and checked it myself and it's fine.

To take copies of any of the above linkies, just click on the "quote" tag for this post (when you're logged in!
) and copy and paste the links you want. After, just click the "back" arrow or tag on your browser. Or if you're not logged in, click on the links then copy and paste them from your browser's URL line.

For members with firefox, just click on "Bookmarks" and then "Bookmark this page" and it'll save the link whatever page you're on. You can access any unrestricted thread or page this way. (e.g. your profile can't be accessed unless you are logged in.) And when logged in, you can also bookmark a post by clicking on the little blue "this post" (in any post) and then proceed as above.

I don't know how to use bookmarks in IE as I never touch it.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find out why the thread doesn't show up in the "Japan" list. For now, though, just do as above to access this thread when you're not logged in to ATS.

Best regards,

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.
edit on 20/9/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Unit 1 Foundation Specs?

Delighted to see ya back Mike!!

Wondered if this doc sheds any light upon Unit 1 experiencing subsidence -- going cockeyed?

Page 14, table 4-2, Factors of Building Analysis Model. "Attenuation Shape of Basement"

www.tepco.co.jp...

The constant inflow of groundwater into and around the reactor buildings and their foundations is eventually gonna cause some major erosion and instability.

On Edit:
Here's all the groundwater that they are trying to avoid:
www.tepco.co.jp...

And for comparison, Unit 2 results from June 28, 2012:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Last edit....it appears that Unit 4 is at the bottom of the entire drainage/runoff...that's why that building is experiencing the most dramatic subsidence. (Shiit don't flow uphill)

Also from the aerial view (page 4) the cut into the existing cliff is much more pronounced at Unit 4.
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 20-9-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

900,000 Cesium Bq/kg Dry Soil Offshore Unit 1 Water Intake

Dang!!!
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 20-9-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Purplechive

Thanks for the welcome back. It's been a while but this is one of those threads that really make this place special, I feel.

I'll have a read of the docs later (and thank for postoing links), but meanwhile I'd just say that considering how much that whole region got shaken around and inundated it doesn't surprise me that these quite large, heavy buildings containing some pretty heavy equipment are not exactly sitting dead level any more.

"Tilt" with any of these reactor building structures is a matter of concern for many reasons, one of them being that the tilt doesn't just affect water that's flooding the lower levels, but also the water in the spent fuel pools. Those things are supposed to be level so there is an even amount of water covering the spent fuel rods. Otherwise, in theory, the cooling function of the water loses some of its efficiency.

As I mentioned before, it would be good to check the building dimensions and calculate the amount of apparent tilt (based on varying water levels in different corners of the building) and also see if there are older records of water level measurement to perhaps determine ( a ) when the tilting first became apparent and/or ( b ) whether the tilt is static or is increasing.

And tilting can also suggest fracturing in the foundations and subfloors -- either as a contributing cause or as a result. Not a good thought in any case.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Purplechive

That document was most helpful as it gives us the dimensions of the basement in Unit one. So I've done a writeup about the building's possible tilt. Here we go:
Okay, on page 21 (out of 112) in that document on Unit 1 basement flooding that you referred to (and for T&Cs I'll also link to it here ), headed “Table 4-2 Factors of Building Analysis Model”, it tells us among other things that the “Shape of Basement” for Unit 1 is 41.56 m (N/S) x 43.56 m (E/W). So, now that we have the essential EW dimension for Unit 1 and we also know the difference in water height in the basement between the NE and NW corners, we can estimate the tilt.

According to this Tepco _/url] (that you also linked for us on page1336
) the water level in the NE corner is 3910 mm, and in the NW corner it is 4420 mm, a difference of 510 mm. (That is 51 cm, or about 20 inches.) In other words, the water in the NW corner is 51 cm deeper, which implies that corner is sitting 51 cm lower than the NE corner.

There is a caveat here: while this suggests the whole floor is tilted down towards the NW corner (or else the NE corner has been uplifted), it is also possible that only the NW corner has subsided and the rest of the building has not. However, given that diagrams indicate the lowest floor is 4 metres thick (a little over 13 feet) it seems intuitively more likely that a larger section of floor is tilted/subsided than just one smaller region in one corner has subsided.

Returning to the theory that the whole floor is tilted, we can then represent the angle as follows (but note this image is not to scale):

We draw a horizontal line 43.56 m long (4,356 cm). This represents a line from the NW to the NE corner, with its plane level to the surface of the water in the NW (ie deeper) corner. This is the “adjacent” side.

Then, we draw a 51 cm vertical line down from the NW end of this line. This represents the NW corner drop. We call this the “opposite side”.

Finally we draw a connecting line from the end of this vertical line back to the NE side. This is the “hypotenuse side”.

We now have a triangle and as the angle between the opposite and adjacent sides is 90 degrees and we know the length of these two sides, we can determine the angle between the adjacent and hypotenuse sides and also the length of the hypotenuse.

Rather than write it all out I'll link to [url=http://easycalculation.com/trigonometry/triangle-angles.php]this site
that can do it all for us. And here's the results:

As we can see, the length of the hypotenuse is 4,361.42 cm and the angle of tilt is 0.67 degrees from the horizontal plane. Relatively speaking this is quite a small amount of tilt, but all the same there shouldn't be any at all in the basement floor of a reactor building! And a “drop” in one corner (or one side) of about 50 cm (around 20 inches) is no minor matter. So it's worth having it on record, even though this is only an estimate based upon some assumptions.

Mike

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
We have a shot of our pal Moch in DC at the rally today.

And we have a map of some sick {Nuked?} seals found.

enenews.com...
enenews.com...

According to the video below featuring by Simon Fraser University’s Kris Starosta, a rainwater sample measured in the Vancouver area had levels of radioactive iodine-131 at 10 becquerels/liter [Bq/l], which corresponds to 10^7 particles of I-131 per liter of water [10^7 = 10,000,000].
enenews.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
From Knuck we have a possible explosion south of the CSFP. 30 second mark and this screen cap from the second possible explosion at the 2:49 mark shows some new debris.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
fuku-uno-life and fuku-longus-life are loosing their timing since some days with their hourly video-reports.
they loaded them allways up on youtube in the first minutes of the hour about the videos should reported.
so it is clear that at 09:11 JST you never would have the full hour 09:00-10:00 JST.
you not, me not and also no a tepco network admin.

so doe what i can,
but i only have at time only one running system
with that i make all processes at the same time:
-streamrecording
+timelapse-workings
+videomizer
+uploading on youtube

after wasting to much time for creating countless of single hour reports i switched onto a bundle of hours:

then i made the next one faster, so that i got a punch from 9-21:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

and a zoom-zoom version:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
@ network-admin from tepco:
"don't drink at work"

edit on 21-9-2012 by nuckelchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Sampling Results of the Accumulated Water in Unit 1 Reactor

Gone down a little since Nov. 25, 2011:

www.tepco.co.jp...

Fabulous job on the analysis Mike! I was unable to find previous measurements for Unit 1 to compare if building has further degraded.

Nuck and AC....does look like something peculiar happened on the cam and that beam just falling against unit 1. Of course TEPCO not saying a word about it.

Excellent work folks!!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Some of the Most Delicate, But Essential Creatures...

Via Enenews:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

enenews.com...

Oh my, to see a butterfly....
The joy it brings, has it softly sings to each flower
it visits and floats by.

Children's first drawn things,
Proudly displayed above the kitchen sink,
Mom reminiscing...

Too much to be lost,
The greed and corruption,
What a cost.

The delicate wings of a butterfly...

- Purple Chive
edit on 21-9-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Three Mile Island...

Haven't learned a dingy, damn thing!

And did any of the reporters show up with a Geiger counter?

www.whptv.com...

enenews.com... r-inside-control-room

enenews.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
the direct link to the all-time top threads page

And for how long? When will Daiichi Units 1 - 4 finally be decommissioned? 30 years? How much insidious, irrevocable damage will they do in the meantime? How many more nuclear reactors will also go errant during this time frame?

Imagine if all the money that's going into maintaining the existing N-plants and building new one was transferred to wind, solar, tidal.? ..Whew...it can be done folks!! It's gonna take a lot of determination...the corruption and arrogance are immense.

It must be done!!! If not for us...at least for the butterflies!!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
We have Dec 5.
5.8 trillion becquerels of strontium leaked from Fukushima over weekend
enenews.com...

Dec 19th.
462 trillion becquerels of strontium leaked into ocean, says estimate — Based on Tepco information
enenews.com...

And today.
1 quadrillion becquerels of total strontium into Pacific via wastewater
enenews.com...

And we know they love sliding decimal points over.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
TEPCO announced on September 22 that a steel frame weighing about 470 kilograms dropped into the Spent Fuel Pool of Reactor 3 during the debris removal operation of the Reactor 3 building

ex-skf.blogspot.de...
Knuck... You should grab this film before they yank it. I can't think of how, so I just screen capped it, instead.

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
merci-its done

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Unit 3: FPC skimmer surge tank level

This may be nothing....but of course very suspicious of TEPCO.

24 hours before the steel beam fell into Unit 3 SFP...the Skimmer Surge Tank Level was reported on both Japanese and English rpt has:

PTWm (as of 11:00 , 9/21 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

Never saw this reported before. Does anyone know what "PTW" stands for?

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Unit 3: Finally See Fuel Rods in SFP?

All the prior video of Unit 3 SFP hasn't shown a single fuel rod....

However, the plant operator plans to use an underwater camera to check if any fuel rods have been damaged.

www3.nhk.or.jp...

Curious to see if they finally are able find them!!

- Purple Chive

posted on Sep, 23 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Unit 3: Slight Disturbance In Temp Reading After Beam Incident

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

new topics
top topics

<< 1334  1335  1336    1338  1339  1340 >>

join