It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 131.htm
<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
reply to post by Regenmacher

I think all Japan should evacuate somewhere. Don't matter where, but away from the island...

Good idea. Airport overcrowded? Take a boat to Okinawa.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Concerning Radiation Levels, you have to give the measure : a "corresponding amount of time" (month, day, year ...)

Anyway 2 good pictures to understand some radiation levels :

> In MicroSv (µSv) from Keio University : here
> In MilliSv (mSv) from The Guardian : here

Health risk is estimated above 0.002 mSv/h (2 µSv/h) regarding some "internet" sources.
On others, it's said : The maximum recommended dosage of radiation is 5,000 mR/year for radiation workers in the United States and 200 mR/year for non-workers

Other ressources :

> Graphs and Radiations Levels on Japan (from various sources of data) in MicroSv : here
> Google SpreadSheet - Japan Radiation Data Historic Values : here
> Reuters Live Feed on Japan Crisis : here
> Twitter List Japan Coverage : here

Most of these links on the Japan Nuclear Crise are availabled and updated : here

edit on 16/3/11 by digit78 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Draken

Anyone who think the japs are idiots, sorry to say, but you sir are retarded.
I didn't say the Japanese ( some of them take offense to you calling them 'japs' ) are idiots. What I said was...If they don't accept Russian assistance in this matter, they are fools.
In case you hadn't heard, someone can be intelligent and still do foolish things.

As far as me being retarded....

Coming from you, I will value that as a compliment. Thank you very much.

It makes sense to me why they would turn away help from Russia. It's the same as the Deepwater Horizon Incident, where the US turned away help. Any government sending help, is sending it for two reasons...and well, if you don't want the truth known, better not let another country come in and "help"

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop
#3 being breached would explain the spike in radiation levels and possibly the white plume we've seen streaming from either 3 or 4. Makes sense.

Here's the most recent sat photo from DigitalGlobe that I annotated. #3 reactor is the one that is smoking and uses MOX fuel rods.

Here's the latest ground photos:

edit on 16-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pez1975
personally i think its over and they are delaying the inevitable i think the whole of japan will be a wasteland for 2000 years i hate to say that but that how i feel and it makes me sick to my stomach to think about

That would be the extreme end of the spectrum - and if it was that bad then it wouldn't just be Japan that was in trouble. I would say a more realistic worry is the Tokyo area. If they can't get on top of the problems at the plant then radiation in Tokyo will slowly keep rising until they're forced to evacuate - and that would be a logistical nightmare

Personally, I think we'll see an enormous military operation to bring the reactors under control. I don't want to sound cruel, but the military is there to give their lives (if necessary) to protect the people. In this case the reactors are the enemy and they'll have to take casualties in order to end the threat. It's easy for me to say from the comfort of my office chair, but if I was in the military I would consider it my duty. I would be interested to hear from any of the military / ex-military members here on how they would feel about this situation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Yeah you're right...if what's behind door number 3 (reactor #3) gets out, it's 24,000 years, NOT 2000.
If this continue to go in the direction it's been heading, worse and worse that is, I would lay my life savings that a very large chunk of Honshu, and maybe more will be uninhabitable for many years to come. And that's a conservative assessment, I'm sure many would agree...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Yes, indeed. I mentioned in my original post on the matter that pride no doubt has something to do with it, but I still view it as foolish to refuse offers of help by experienced personnel, especially when the Japanese are in the dangerous predicament that they are in.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Update 16.24: The International Atomic Energy Energy Agency reported that Japanese authorities are concerned about the state of fuel rods in the reactors 3 and 4 of Fukushima Dai'ichi (No. 1).

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

As stated here on ATS thousands times there is difference between Chernobyl and Fukushima . At Chernobyl there was a large quantity of graphite in the core which caught fire and spread contents of the reactor high into the air.If happens leak from rods will be smaller.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The EU's energy chief Guenther Oettinger has said that in the coming hours "there could be further catastrophic events, which could pose a threat to the lives of people on the island". He told the European Parliament the Fukushima nuclear site was "effectively out of control". "The cooling systems did not work, and as a result we are somewhere between a disaster and a major disaster."

www.bbc.co.uk...

Not that we didn't know this already, but still gave me a chill hearing it from an official

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

#4 only contains spent fuels, and according to some experts these could be even more dangerous.

On CNN, an expert said last night that he fears that if the spent fuel rods are exposed, and perhaps burning there could be extremely high levels of gamma radiation around that reactor. X-Rays thousands of times more powerful than what is used to x-ray a human... And he believes this is the most immediate and greatest threat to anyone working in or around that plant, at the moment.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
reply to post by odd1out

As stated here on ATS thousands times there is difference between Chernobyl and Fukushima . At Chernobyl there was a large quantity of graphite in the core which caught fire and spread contents of the reactor high into the air.If happens leak from rods will be smaller.

And as stated here thousands of time before, the amount of radioactive material located at Fukushima is thousands of times MORE than what was at Chernobyl. Not to mention, this is FAR from over...though it's bad, the worst case scenario hasn't yet happened. Just realize, as I heard it so eloquently stated, there are NO MODELS for the possibilities at Fukushima, because comparing it to Chernobyl or 3 Mile Island is pointless.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

#4 only contains spent fuels, and according to some experts these could be even more dangerous.

On CNN, an expert said last night that he fears that if the spent fuel rods are exposed, and perhaps burning there could be extremely high levels of gamma radiation around that reactor. X-Rays thousands of times more powerful than what is used to x-ray a human... And he believes this is the most immediate and greatest threat to anyone working in or around that plant, at the moment.

You are correct. The spent fuel rods stored at #4 are more dangerous because they are not being stored within the containment vessell. It's a stupid old design that is no longer done for obvious reasons. If it blows up there is basically nothing to stop the radiation from entering the environment.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by odd1out

Unless of course there is a complete meltdown, where TONS of radioactive fuels melt into a massive blob, with temps from 3,000, to 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit, if this happens (and it seems likely at two of these reactors) it could melt right through the containment structure, into the environment and possibly into the underground water table where it WILL explode massively, ejecting tons of extremely radioactive debris, gases, and core particulates into the atmosphere.

This is the "worst case" all involved directly with this fear may now happen, if they fail to cool these reactor cores.

That is, despite all claims to the contrary, the reality of the situation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by odd1out

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Draken

Anyone who think the japs are idiots, sorry to say, but you sir are retarded.
I didn't say the Japanese ( some of them take offense to you calling them 'japs' ) are idiots. What I said was...If they don't accept Russian assistance in this matter, they are fools.
In case you hadn't heard, someone can be intelligent and still do foolish things.

As far as me being retarded....

Coming from you, I will value that as a compliment. Thank you very much.

It makes sense to me why they would turn away help from Russia. It's the same as the Deepwater Horizon Incident, where the US turned away help. Any government sending help, is sending it for two reasons...and well, if you don't want the truth known, better not let another country come in and "help"

And what does that have to do with 126 million people. Because of the shady crapola of Governments and their dirty secrets, they think they are paid to sacrifice or endanger 126 million people who need to be evacuated, to hide the secrets of a few. BIG HAIRY DEAL. The people need to accept the aid and the police need to arrest anyone turning it down.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

reply to post by odd1out

But this is the very problem that might occur with the spent fuel as well & there's much more of it than what burned at Chernobyl. It might not be graphite so the burning characteristics will be different (I guess, I'm not qualified to say) but they will burn & by doing so release their radioactive smoke into the air which then widens the affected area greatly. The spent cores are the real trouble here.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Does anyone know if the problems caused to the electrics can be fixed...I mean is there a certain amount of time that will pass when these things all dry out and become workable by computer commands again ?

Yes, the equipment could be repaired, but that wouldn't help anything. It would be like repairing a fire truck to put out a burning building. Sure, you can do it, but the building will burn before you do.

Enriched uranium will emit radiation... it is impossible to stop that. Enough enriched uranium will emit high levels of radiation... it is impossible to stop that. Melted uranium fuel rods will make a pool that contains enough to do that... it is impossible to stop that.

So far, the Japanese have been buying time... there is no more time to buy, apparently. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that there were no buses to evacuate an area... this is what they were buying time for, time to get buses into these areas so the people aren't left to die.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
well is seems that the powerplant was out of date...
the plant was designed for a 6.5 M earthquacke :-((((((((

www.nu.nl...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
European Union signals potential nuclear apocalypse...

EU energy chief: Japan situation out of control MaketWatch
Financial markets skid as official warns of ‘catastrophic events’

“The site is effectively out of control,” Energy Commissioner Guenther Oettinger told a European Parliament committee, according to news reports. “In coming hours there could be further catastrophic events which could pose a threat to the lives of people on the island.”

The remarks before the committee echoed a warning Oettinger reportedly delivered to a meeting of European energy ministers on Tuesday that Japan faced a potential “apocalypse.”

“There is talk of an apocalypse and I think the word is particularly well chosen,” Oettinger told ministers, according to London’s Daily Telegraph newspaper. “Practically everything is out of control. I cannot exclude the worst in the hours and days to come.”

edit on 16-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

Do you have any information on whether Japan is receiving enough assistance to handle the evacs? The logistics of evacuation are becoming the main concern, I believe.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join