It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 13.htm
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

As much as this sounds convenient to pump any ol' water into a reactor, there would be no chance to recover a reactor if you did this. Primary coolant typically has to be distilled something like 5 times over and then run though a chemical buffer that makes the water perfectly pH-neutral. (No hydrate or hydroxide bias.) Any contaminants in the water can cause caustic or chemical reactions with the fuel rods, and then you have things like spalling or exfoliating and terms of nuclear fuel rods either kind of corrosion reaction is a bad thing. It's not like you can just go in there and fix it once it starts.

Maybe you could get away with it in the secondary side, but on a steam plant system that would still make a mess of things. They may have other ways of auxiliary cooling the primary loop - in which something like a fire truck could work, but unless you work at that particular plant you're not going to know much about whether they have such systems in place.

We should be a little glad that it's a plant with water moderation and not some Chernobyl-type design. It could still be a mess in the reactor during a failure, but those tend to go cold when given enough time if for some reason the moderator boils away. (Still a containment vessel is insurance I wouldn't want to skimp on. If it were my call, plant designs would also have their own water-tower and perhaps make use of convection loops in the right places.)

I don't think I'm that far off the mark... Now why do I know these kind of things?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Not sure about the accuracy of this, but this is uploaded video of the explosion

www.twitvid.com...

news.yahoo.com...

The second link is a picture of the Fukishma reactor, looks to be the same place.
edit on 12-3-2011 by odd1out because: added link

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ilandrah

Picture posted from @TimeOutTokyo on twitter (account is for like a guide to Tokyo type website)

They also tweeted: Once again, people in the Fukushima area, close doors, shut windows, cover mouths with masks, towels or handkerchiefs (via NHK)

And they will try to live tweet/translate the upcoming press conference from plant officials

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by deanyo

Thanks deanyo, was a re-tweet without originator information.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Oh sorry, some one I follow re-tweeted @TimeOutTokyo, I guess the picture originated from @makitanaka
Didn't trace it back far enough to get the source, apologies.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Wow, I have just come back to this site after a 2 year break. During the break I have been visiting Godlikeproductions pretty much every day. I have to say that coming back to this site is like going from driving a Ferrari to a mini. This site just does NOT have it any more. I'm sorry but ATS is dead. GLP has like 1000 times more traffic, is far more user friendly, and doesn't have so many strict rules. You take God like productions for granted until you come back to this site. ATS makes you realise just how good GLP really is.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Was following this thread with interest last night & have awoken to the terrible news that a building on site has exploded. The news here (UK) isn't too clear on which building has been wrecked, the tv pictures look suspiciously like the reactor room. Can anyone confirm it's the reactor building ?

The only thing which saved Chernobyl from being an even bigger disaster was the willingness of men to expose themselves to fatal levels of radiation as they tried to quench the flames. I pray to God no-one in the Japanese rescue/fire teams is faced with such a decision.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
No worries Deanyo

Projected fallout pattern - taken from twitter, no info on where this originates

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
No worries Deanyo

Projected fallout pattern - taken from twitter, no info on where this originates

Perhaps it's from the Australian Radiation Services? Just a guess.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Previously in this thread I excluded the possibility of an explosion. I was wrong. Most of this is speculation as to what happened, I might be wrong.

The containment building is supposed to be able to design overpressure from a build up of steam. TEPCO claimed the steam was successfully vented away from the reactor. If it wasn't, then this could of caused the containment building to break. I am unsure if it could cause it to explode.

There's that possibility. And there's this:

The fuel assemblies are made up of lots of fuel rods bunched together. The fuel rods are made from metallic Zirconium and inside are Uranium Dioxide pellets of fuel. If the reactor cannot be cooled adequately and the fuel gets too hot, eventually the Zirconium fuel cladding will react with the air (or water? I forget) in an exothermic reaction, raising the temperature even higher. Hydrogen gas is evolved from this reaction. Hydrogen gas is explosive especially in confined space like the containment building. Normally hydrogen should be recombined with oxygen forming water via hydrogen recombiners, if this does not occur a potentially dangerous mixture could occur. This is the only thing that I could think of that could possibly cause the reactor building to explode like that.

But if it was Hydrogen gas it would mean that all efforts to cool the reactor failed, and reactor is extremely hot and probably melting down as we speak. And even worse it will be exposed to air. In other words, the # has hit the fan.

As far as I know, the wind is blowing the radiation away from Japan towards the US, but it can dissipate over the pacific ocean before then. The reactor also, unlike Chernobyl, isn't out of control, and unlike Chernobyl shouldn't be on fire.

But again, I might be wrong.

edit on 12/3/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Smokersroom

If I could confirm that I certainly would have said so. Personally, just because someone claims something with a logo doesn't mean that I will believe it, in particular if that image comes from a site such a twitter.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I'm a bit of an innocent about radiation levels, but surely 750-3,000 Rads is fatal exposure ? Surely such high radiation levels won't affect the area in that map ?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
the map is confirmed as an ANON hoax.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

I appreciate that confirmation tgidkp.
Does any one have an correct map of the potential fallout?

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
The radiation is still increasing.. I have been looking for the latest, and all of the news seems to be stalled after the reported explosion

The latest radiation record..

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It's impossible to gauge at this point. We don't know exactly how much radiation is leaking, or the direction and that sort of stuff.

I would assume they are being drawn up and will be released later today.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   

The closest I found was a trade winds map on wikipedia... Its too erratic, unless we know exactly what kind of breach occurs, how long for, how much steam etc... its not reliably predictable.

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

Possible explosion at Japanese nuke power plant

"We are now trying to analyze what is behind the explosion," said government spokesman Yukio Edano, stressing that people should quickly evacuate a six-mile radius. "We ask everyone to take action to secure safety."

Looks as if this may get a lot worse !!!

World Watch

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Niall197

I'm a bit of an innocent about radiation levels, but surely 750-3,000 Rads is fatal exposure ? Surely such high radiation levels won't affect the area in that map ?

Only 100 rads exposure for 1 hour will make you vomit and feel sick, even more above that it is a serios life risk but 750 to 3000 ? I think they got the charts wrong, 700 will kill you very fast for sure.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join