It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1296.htm
<< 1293  1294  1295    1297  1298  1299 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Originally posted by zworld
reply to post by Purplechive

The water in the SC is up to 10 Sv/h. No wonder the dosimeter then failed.

The radiation dose measured in the Torus Room was 19.5 - 10,300mSv/h. However, the dosimeter seems to have failed.

And the sediment at the bottom looks rather orange...dripping lava/corium?
(page 7)
www.tepco.co.jp...

-------- On Edit 30:10 into the video looks like when they hit bottom...molten metal shards?
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 27-6-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

From pdf:

3. Radiation dose of the accumulated water The radiation dose measured in the Torus Room was 19.5 - 10,300mSv/h. However, the dosimeter seems to have failed as it indicated order values of 10^8 -10^9mSv/h during the measurement and the values did not change until the dosimeter was brought back up.

So they are really telling us it measured as expected with dose increasing to a new range as they measured closer and closer to the floor of the building.

Just before water 10,000mSv hour

An expected drop to 8000mSv an hour on water surface as some neutron soak occurs, gamma still coming through though.

80cm below surface a further decrease to 3550mSv

100cm lower a decrease to 2,770mSv

Then at a further meter of drop , roughly a meter because they are measuring above one of the most radioactive places in the world using a camera cable as a tape measure; we get 'Indicated order values of 10^8-10^9'.

10^8 is 29,809 mSv/hour
10^9 is 81,030 mSv/hour

Mathematically that works out close with expected dose rates and square law from source. A huge amount of steam, corium and other nasties have vented into torus and most of the lower building. But why on earth would the reading jump below OP2200 after 2,770mSv reading?

Part will be because the torus itself partially shielded the probe from line of sight measurement of the most likely path of corium. Draw a straight line from below the centre of the pedestal (and centre of reactor) where melt occured through, as they hit OP1200, the radiation spikes exactly as you'd expect.
Furthermore corium and nuclides which have settled to the floor will be immensely radioactive. So either the pedestal is gone, a possibility in this completely under-designed containment, or just like Chernobyl, fuel has leaked down the suppression pipes into the bottom of the torus, then to the floor and beyond, plus whatever came from the pedestal.

Put this together to further illustrate what I'm rambling on about. This is the measurement map transposed over R1 blueprints. Green line is from reactor/pedestal centre line.

Portions ©Tepco and ©GhostR1der 2012 All Rights Reserved
Much respect to the brave workers who measured this.

Catching up tonight, you all have more brilliance in this thread than a diamond factory!
edit on 30/6/12 by GhostR1der because: added more

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
I have seen this hinted at, but never fully addressed outright, as if it is the thing we should not speak of. To the group:

Reactors 1, 2, 3 should have had storage pools equivalent to reactor 4. I have seen they had more then twice the total of reactor 4. The stress we all feel is that reactor 4 might be really, really bad.

Is this already upon us?

Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel
• Reactor No. 2: 81 tons
• Reactor No. 3: 88 tons

was 219 tons of radioactive material released upon the entire earth population on march 11? Or am missing something?

Biggest dirty bomb in the history of man. And they worry about proliferation? Already happened 500+ times world wide at each reactor.

Originally posted by manicminxx
How much is currently in #4?

And... what about the possibility of a UC? How much more does that add to the equation?

How many more of these are hanging out on fault lines, just waiting to follow suit?

What is left of those other pools, 1, 2, and 3?

R1-3 write off 100% of that fuel. No water for them good part of a day = 100% melt. To say some fuel magically wouldn't melt without water for an extended period, in a neutron storm, is complete bull#. Plant evacuated during this time as *airborne* radiation levels exceeded 400mSv and that's what they released to public..

SFP4 Ran dry multiple times, fires admitted, captured on video and melts have occurred without a doubt. They specifically focused on filling this up as it's such a risk. My guess is at best case up to 15% of that fuel is now nuclear potpourri. A reactor load or two. Not all has to be concentrated in one place and melting through the pool though. Hydrogen bubbles seen coming from the pool.
SFP3 well, we have seen concrete and steel debris all through the pool so likely some geometry failure, partial melts and releases there. Up to 5% or more damage, hydrogen bubbles also seen coming from the pool. No glows like R4.
SFP2 have not seen a shot of that I'm aware of. Likely intact.
SFP1 or top of R1 is about as rare as a shot of the north west wall R4. Considering collapsed roof, some geometry failure possible, similar to R3 damage.

UC would be more likely highly enriched plutonium and thus more unstable because of that. They are still worried Chernobyl could go up, so I guess the UC would be even worse. Zworld did a great piece on instability and phases of plutonium through its lifetime and various enrichments. Theredneck had great explainations about plutonium/corium reactions and cyclic criticalities in the earlier posts.

Overall, I'm quite amazed northern hemisphere is still producing mostly normal children. Statistical illness, death rates, birth problems and disease trends are no doubt telling a different story.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Unit 4: SFP Cooling Restarted

TEPCO resumes cooling Fukushima Daiichi No. 4 reactor fuel pool TOKYO, July 1, Kyodo Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Sunday it has resumed cooling the spent fuel pool of the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant's No. 4 reactor following emergency repair work after the cooling system shut down on Saturday. The water temperature of the pool had risen to 42.9 C when the utility known as TEPCO turned the cooling system back on shortly after 3 p.m., compared with 33.3 C at the time of the shutdown on Saturday morning. TEPCO had feared that the temperature could reach 65 C, the upper limit designated in safety regulations.

english.kyodonews.jp...

Kyodo seems to be on the ball lately about Fuku...wonder what changed?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Confrontational Rallies to Stop Ohi N-Plant

From this picture there are some elderly folks that are pissed!!

ajw.asahi.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Unit 3: Why Stop Nitrogen Injection Into PCV?

- Purple Chive

Zero nitrogen injection for four days now....and little effect....

RPV:16N㎥/h PCV:0N㎥/h (7/1 11:00 現在)

A系:0.24vol% B系:0.23vol% (7/1 11:00 現在)

www.tepco.co.jp...

I'm going to send out this conjecture:

"The PCV now has such a large hole in it that hydrogen no longer builds up."

Ok folks - please add your thoughts - Ghost? Silver? Mat? Et all?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

At 10:48 PM on June 27, the amount of the nitrogen gas injection into PCV was adjusted from approx. 8m3/h to 0 m3/h, in order to keep the balance between the amount of the nitrogen gas injection into Unit 3 RPV and PCV and the amount of emission from PCV gas control system. The nitrogen gas injection into RPV is being continuously conducted at the amount of approx. 16 m3/h,

- Purple Chive

I think the 'balance' referred to is between the amount of nitrogen gas injected and the amount of PCV air exhausted by the PCV gas treatment system. They would want to exhaust roughly the same volume of gas from the reactor as the volume they inject. Unlike other adjustments we've seen, this recent reduction of nitrogen injection through the PCV has been done without a corresponding increase of injection through the RPV. So on the face of it, I'd think it must mean, that the exhaust capacity of the PCV gas treatment system for some reason has been reduced, necessitating a reduction of the overall injection rate to keep the balance.
edit on 1-7-2012 by MadderDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Could someone please tell me what I am seeing on the TEPCO cam?
It looks wrong. Is it water on the lens?
I can't seem to post a pic.
Thanks

Def NOT water on the lens.
Where the heck is everyone? WhyTF can't I get a screenshot?
Grrrrrrrr
It's almost gone now.
Gone.

Crapola

edit on 1-7-2012 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

Just so you know what I was talking about..
The area circled had a plume above it that looked like a dense cotton ball.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Neysa because: Figured out pic prob.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by manicminxx

Reactor No. 1: 50 tons of nuclear fuel
Reactor No. 2: 81 tons
Reactor No. 3: 88 tons
was 219 tons of radioactive material released upon the entire earth population on march 11? Or am missing something?

How much is currently in #4?

And... what about the possibility of a UC? How much more does that add to the equation?

How many more of these are hanging out on fault lines, just waiting to follow suit?

What is left of those other pools, 1, 2, and 3?

GR's analysis is spot on. The only thing I would add is that it's important to remember that the UC is still in the theory stage and may never be proven fact. That is why I chose to write a fiction book instead of a report. That way I can connect dots not otherwise proveable. Plus Im forced to use a fair amount of Tepco, NRC, IAEA, MEXT etc data which is of course fictitious to begin with.

But if it does exist, and it contains a large supply of enriched plutonium and a large supply of tritium (for fusion part of explosion) then we need to pray every day that the initial blast buried it and its deep enough and saturated in groundwater enough to never be a problem. We have to consider this the outcome because anything else is too extreme a thought.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
Could someone please tell me what I am seeing on the TEPCO cam?
It looks wrong. Is it water on the lens?
I can't seem to post a pic.
Thanks

Def NOT water on the lens.
Where the heck is everyone? WhyTF can't I get a screenshot?
Grrrrrrrr
It's almost gone now.
Gone.

Crapola

Just so you know what I was talking about..
The area circled had a plume above it that looked like a dense cotton ball.
edit on 1-7-2012 by Neysa because: Figured out pic prob.

Neysa, others (AC, PC ?) have spotted this plume before. It comes out at night I believe from R2, which indicates some kind of venting possibly. Similar plumes have been spotted coming from R3 and R4, the R3/R4 exhaust stack, the 4stack south of R4 and the back of the southend. These almost always occur at night and often they start up just as a fog is rolling in.

Good eye. Thanks for staying on top of this.
edit on 1-7-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Much obliged.
I read about the cooling problems and when I saw the plume it made me very nervous.
Maybe I should stop watching the webcam.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
All together now....and a one.... and a two

THE PEOPLE.....UNITED.......WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED. THE PEOPLE....UNITED.......WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED

And how comforting is this. Its a fairly significant rise that seems to coincide with the pulling of the control rods though not sure of timing though. This spike may have started before the pulling of the rods. Early venting of system? If someone knows the exact time of startup that would be easy enough to overlap with this graph.

At this point Id start in with THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING....THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

But unfortunately, thanks to Murdoch and the rest of the right wingnuts, the whole world isnt watching. Instead we have Storage Wars, Mob Wives, a bunch of sporting events, the CBS, NBC and ABC Evening News Disinformation Campaign.......lets see what else....damn....thats about it.
edit on 1-7-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Neysa,

Ever since the typhoon that hit on 6/20/12 - Unit 2 has been steaming day and night.

Before typhoon hit:

After typhoon:

Question Neysa - what brings you to this thread?

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
reply to post by zworld

Much obliged.
I read about the cooling problems and when I saw the plume it made me very nervous.
Maybe I should stop watching the webcam.

I must confess, since switching to google chrome, which doesn't allow for Winamp to operate from it, I havent been watching the cam at all and depend now on PC and Nucklechen and others for scenes to watch. I was spending so much time watching it that friends said I was watching the Fukushima Entertainment Channnel again and would act like I was crazy........or I am crazy....I dont know which.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadderDoc

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

At 10:48 PM on June 27, the amount of the nitrogen gas injection into PCV was adjusted from approx. 8m3/h to 0 m3/h, in order to keep the balance between the amount of the nitrogen gas injection into Unit 3 RPV and PCV and the amount of emission from PCV gas control system. The nitrogen gas injection into RPV is being continuously conducted at the amount of approx. 16 m3/h,

- Purple Chive

I think the 'balance' referred to is between the amount of nitrogen gas injected and the amount of PCV air exhausted by the PCV gas treatment system. They would want to exhaust roughly the same volume of gas from the reactor as the volume they inject. Unlike other adjustments we've seen, this recent reduction of nitrogen injection through the PCV has been done without a corresponding increase of injection through the RPV. So on the face of it, I'd think it must mean, that the exhaust capacity of the PCV gas treatment system for some reason has been reduced, necessitating a reduction of the overall injection rate to keep the balance.
edit on 1-7-2012 by MadderDoc because: (no reason given)

Madder - my apologies...but what? Your response still leaves me befuddled. Please remove all trepidation when posting on this thread. I've seen your work on PF, and it is admirable.

What is your gut feeling that there appears to be absolutely no effect on temps, pressure or hydrogen level in Unit 3 after shutting nitrogren injection into the PCV to Zero for four days now.

When nitrogen injection into Unit 2 stopped a few weeks ago - pressure and hydrogen levels reacted detrimentally and immediately. This does not appear to be happening with Unit 3.

Why?

With much respect,
- Purple Chive
edit on 1-7-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The videos help. Thanks.

Question Neysa - what brings you to this thread?

It's a combination of things. First of all, I don't expect to get any factual information regarding Fukushima, from the MSM. This ongoing event has very serious consequences for ALL citizens of this planet. Anyone with a pulse should be following this closely.
I feel safer trusting the regular contributors of this thread than I do my own or the Japanese government when it comes to Fuku. How sad is that?
I am one of those weirdos that actually feel better when I know what the hell is going on. Go figure...
Drives me crazy when people just trust what they hear and trust those in charge to keep them safe.

Better for me if I gather all available info and make my own decisions.

Why do you ask?

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Please remove all trepidation when posting on this thread.

it may actually be good news,, if the leak/hole/crack/seam/ is sealed,,
shut off the nitrogen,,everything stable,,,ie no pressure drop or temp rise,,
and circulation of cooling is stable,,circulation pumps working,,running,,
then everything is ok.
now what is NOT factuall about the above.

Basic Heating 101.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

Welcome aboard Neysa!! We're all just a bunch of nutcases attempting to wade through the data, lies, deception and ramifications thereof.

My heart goes out to you and your fellow Japanese. Appreciate your inclusion: "This ongoing event has very serious consequences for ALL citizens of this planet."

I survived TMI (Three Mile Island), 1979. My mom evacuated me and my siblings 350 miles away. My dad stayed behind only to succumb to leukemia 20 years later when he was in his late 50's.

- Purple Chive

edit on 1-7-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Thanks PC, but I have been subscribed to this thread since the beginning. Also, I am an American. I do have a strong affinity for the Japanese people, though. Beautiful culture. I worry about them.

I survived TMI (Three Mile Island), 1979. My mom evacuated me and my siblings 350 miles away. My dad stayed behind only to succumb to leukemia 20 years later when he was in his late 50's.

I see why YOU are so passionate about this subject. Sorry about your father.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

What the Heck Is Going On in Richmond, VA

Radnet was off line for quite awhile after another Mineral, VA EQ. Then started up monitoring again. Appears sometime shortly after June 21, things went a little wacko again.

Unable to find NRC rpt of any "incident" at North Anna.

The red spectrum on this chart...what is that indicative of?

www.epa.gov...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Bob, would be great if good news to rpt. about Unit 3. Hopefully, TEPCO will make a positive announcement soon.

One thing I wish I'd done in my life prior to this incident - learn Japanese and taken more physics courses...

- Purple Chive

new topics

top topics

<< 1293  1294  1295    1297  1298  1299 >>

join