It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 128.htm
<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

Someone has posted 3 satellite image links on page 125. They seem pretty recent, showing 3 badly damaged reactor buildings.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

seriously though ... has anyone seen any genuine images or video of the station scince the third explosion?

the image in my post (just above yours) is pretending to be made today.
there are a few here www.digitalglobe.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Im in switzerland , I was zapping channels on the radio.
Got a flash news program that briefly discussed radiation levels in Tokio.
Apparently, an italian government agency (in charge if citizens protection) just divulged some radiation readings for italy in order to allow comparison with japan.
It turns out radiations in Rome are actually higher than those Tokio is experiencing after the explosions in Fukushima!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by monica86

Sounds like sheeple propaganda news. Tokyo wouldn't 't be undergoing a corporate level evacuation, if the radiation levels where no threat.

Japan radiation fears prompt firms to move employees BBC

edit on 16-3-2011 by Regenmacher because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Just saw someone post this link on reuters

Japan earthquake: residents flee as quake fears spread

They'd been evacuated once already, pushed from pillar to post, and told that everything was fine. Now the truth was out, and they were fleeing, in their thousands.

On Reuters, there is conflicting reports of food shortages on the shelves. Some are saying a few items are short, some say there are plenty of everything, and some say its all empty live.reuters.com...

No food on the shelves in Tokyo for a few days. Prices are skyrocketing. Can't buy gas for your car. No news from the Government in Japan that is helpful. Japanese and Foreigners are worried and leaving Tokyo buy the plane load. We are so worried about the radiation leak but have to think for ourselves and do what we think is the right thing to do because the Japanese news stations are on a no tell agenda.

I can not comment on Tokyo, but in Kamakura, food is scarce in most stores.

I`m from Tokyo and agree with TheMath. Food is gone from most supermarkets. No Bottled water, veggies ,meat and especially milk. I have to eat Ramen and Noodle for few days as I couldn`t get any in the market. As day goes by Tokyo people are loosing confidence in Naoto Kan and his updates.

I live in Shinjukju, central Tokyo there is food but basics such as bread, milk and easy to cook food like cup noodles are hard to get at the moment.

friend of mine in a suburb of tokyo says perishable foods are still on shelves, but longlasting food, i.e. canned, instant, etc., is pretty much gone from shelves. also noted grocery store lines are ridiculously long.

@TheMath I live in Chiba, and the same is happening to me. Food aisles are empty, as is diapers and toilet paper.

@TheMath This is not true, I went to the supermarket in Toyosu this afternoon and there was plenty of everything except instant noodles. There are shortages of bottled water, bread, milk, eggs and similar but not a big problem as of now.

Here in northern Saitama, there was more on the shelves today than yesterday or the day before

There is no food shortage in Tokyo, people are not leaving en masse - by the plane load perhaps (expats for example) but this is a city of over 10 million. There are shortages in bread, milk and some dry foods, but to say 'no food on the shelves' is totally inaccurate.

Yes... I live in central Tokyo and certain stores have been picked clean of certain items. For example bread, milk, etc. and canned goods. In the denki-yas they have been picked clean of stuff like batteries, flashlights, etc. Then in the kusuri-yas those have been picked clean of stuff like TP, first aid goods, etc. I think this is mostly panic buying. Provided supply chains have truly not been impacted and the hording stops things should start to recover. Hopefully...

Im not sure what to believe
edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
From NHK -
Radioactivity forecast system down

A computer system that forecasts the spread of radioactivity has not been working due to malfunctioning monitoring posts around a troubled nuclear power plant in quake-hit Fukushima Prefecture.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says it does not know when the system will be back in operation.

The system, called SPEEDI, predicts how radioactive substances will spread in case of radiation leakage from nuclear power plants, based on measurements taken at various locations, prevailing winds and other weather conditions.

SPEEDI data are intended to be used to draw up evacuation plans for residents around power plants in case of accidents.

The system is monitored at government offices, including the industry ministry and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency in Tokyo.

The agency says it cannot expect the SPEEDI system to function fully, since many monitoring posts are not operating due to power outages.

More bad news.

Im not sure of how serious this system is, as I would think there should be plenty more systems in the area doing the same thing?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

That smells like a conspiracy theory in the making to me. Keep the people in the dark as radiation contamination spreads around. Ye old out of sight is out of mind to keep the masses from panic mode.

I'd rather know the truth and deal with the panic versus being slow cooked.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

I think they may be trying to stop the people from panicking, but theres way too much stuff going on for me...but Im thinking either the officials have no idea anymore, or there are some serious issues going on and they dont want the people to know.

This just in from BBC - Thailand said they will be giving people traveling to Tokyo free potassium iodide

www.bbc.co.uk...

1219: Thailand's health ministry says that from Thursday it will give free potassium iodide tablets to travellers flying to Tokyo from airports in Bangkok and Phuket, AP reports. The substance protects the thyroid gland against cancer by blocking absorption of radioactive iodine. Supplies in Japan are reportedly already running short.

Edit - This just in from BBC to - Radiation higher than normal in Tokyo again

1232: The BBC's Chris Hogg, in Tokyo, says that, as authorities struggle with various methods of cooling the nuclear plant, it feels like they are running out of options. Radiation levels in the capital, he says, are higher than normal but way below what would present a risk to human health. But still, he says, the country remains deeply uneasy.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Thailand said they will be giving people traveling to Tokyo free potassium iodide
I would guess that they don't need a lot of those pills....

Seems like most of the flights would be going out of Tokyo.

I still think the authorities in Japan are lying about the radiation levels.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

They're either lying or they just dont know what the heck is going on. One of their forecast systems is now down and dont think it will be fully operational anytime soon, but I would guess there has to be many more systems in the area reading the radiation.....hopefully.

Or maybe their just taking a random guess at the radiation levels now.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Update 13.39 am: The radiation level in Tokyo was higher than normal but still far below the level at which a public health risk. Yet the overall atmosphere in Japan called worrisome. Now the authorities use water cannons to cool reactors at Fukushima Dai'ichi, they always seem to have fewer options at hand, reports BBC correspondent Chris Hogg.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Someone just posted this on Reuters-

live.reuters.com...

NHK reports from people in the evacuation zone in Myagi Prefecture that they are not receiving supplies, and are being told no buses can come to evacuate and that they feel they are being left to die.

No supplies......No buses are coming to evacuate them.....I hope this post is a hoax

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I have suspected that they didn't actually know what was going on at the power plant since the explosions started, or shortly before. Core meltdown was actually underway before the first explosion, I believe. That is what caused the hydrogen to be created for the first explosion to happen. The high temperatures and pressures very well may have compromised their ability to monitor what was going on in the reactors.
After the explosions started happening, I would be surprised if they could get accurate reading on the spent fuel cooling ponds.

But instead of saying, 'We don't know' they have been lying to everyone. They have been caught in lies several times by members posting on this thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
There was an image with all reactors numbered, but I can't find it now.
accoridng to this image there is one "non-damaged" building, is it #2? Didn't it explode too?

The explosive force in #2 evidently was downward since it was the torus that was damaged. I'm guessing there is damage but it's hidden from view since the torus is underground.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Update 13.59 pm: The fear of reactors 5 and 6 of the Fukushima nuclear plant Dai'ichi, who always seemed perfectly safe because they are turned off for months, the last hours increasing. Read an extensive article on nrc.nl.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I think its a load of rubbish what there saying ! There now saying they have sent in 180 workers to sort out the plant....how is this possible when they had to send away a helicoptor because of such high radiation levels.....Besides wouldn't the pilot be wearing a radiation suit and mask anyway??

Jeez they think were all stupid !

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
Update 13.59 pm: The fear of reactors 5 and 6 of the Fukushima nuclear plant Dai'ichi, who always seemed perfectly safe because they are turned off for months, the last hours increasing. Read an extensive article on nrc.nl.

I didn't read the article but to my knowledge the problem is that the pools usually have new water pumped in regularly. Since there is no power the pumping isn't happening so the water is heating up & in some cases evaporating off which then compounds the problem by eventually causing the rods to become exposed.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I just read a Flashing News Update that #3 spent fuel rods have heated up and are giving off steam.........

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Someone just posted this via Reuters-

live.reuters.com...

German magazine Der Spiegel reports on its website: In spite of the situation getting worse, Japan is not allowing a team of russian veteran experts who helped to cope with the Chernobyl accident into the country. The Rosatom team is waiting on standby in Chabarovsk.

Im looking at the Der Spiegel website but am unable to track down this article. First time ive heard of this.

Via Kyoto -

english.kyodonews.jp...

NEWS ADVISORY: Water injection into ponds at No. 3, No. 4 reactors priority: agency (22:32)

NEWS ADVISORY: Spent fuel pool at No. 3 reactor heated, emitting steam: nuke agency (22:27)

top topics

<< 125  126  127    129  130  131 >>

join