It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1274.htm
<< 1271  1272  1273    1275  1276  1277 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive
And MadderDoc is rockin' on PF:

www.physicsforums.com...
www.physicsforums.com...

- Purple Chive

Wow, no kidding. I especially like his most recent post where he states, concerning the recent bot attempt to enter the R3 TIP room;

Now I wonder what that recent investigation was really about. Tepco would have known for more than a year, since the first robot expedition to the area, that the entrance to the TIP room was blocked, so that a robot would not be able to enter. Indeed the new video indicates that a large object close to the entrance to the TIP room has been moved, so there have been humans at the spot too since then. So why make an effort to 'rediscover' that the entrance is blocked, rather than make an effort to unblock it -- which would seem the rational thing to do, if one _really_ would like to inspect the room? And as you mention, weirdly there is apparently not even a photo of the room to show from the latest mission. Was it all just a stunt?

Brilliant MD, brilliant. I wish he posted here as well.

Of course they knew about this blockage. And it probably was a stunt, like so many other things Tepco/SDF. Id bet they are setting the stage for something with R3. First they can't get into the torus room, then the 1st floor TIP room.; Hmmm?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Human - You Feeling Any of These Quakes?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

- Purple Chive

I feel only the Quakes from Ibaraki, Chiba and Saitama, the more north-Eastern
must be strong, above Mag. 6.!

Yesterdays Quake was funny, i was working on the 27'th Floor in a huge Office, ca. 200 People,
100 of them have an Earthquake Application and just 1/ 10 Seconds before the Quake hit
People start to "feel Unwell"

Tepco released the following Statement:

The structure of Unit 4 Spent Fuel Pool (SFP)
doesn't easily cause water leak.

1. The SFP is made of reinforced concrete which has a thickness of approximately 140 - 185cm, lined with 3mm-thick stainless steel plate. The pool is supported by a steel and concrete structure, mostly isolated from the 4th and 5th floor walls of Unit 4 Reactor Building, which has been damaged by the explosion.

2. The pool water is circulated by injecting from the top of the pool and collecting the flooded water from the upper edge of the pool which is sent to the Skimmer Surge Tank*. There are no pipes or drainage holes that pass through the concrete structure of the pool, either on the side or at the bottom of the pool.

3. We continuously monitor the water level of the Skimmer Surge Tank*, adding the appropriate amount of water to the pool, the amount which evaporates from the surface of the pool. We could detect any water leakage as an abnormal water level fall at the Skimmer Surge Tank*, should the pipes get damaged. Furthermore, the pool itself is equipped with water leak detectors that lie inside the gap between the reinforced concrete and the stainless steel plate.

4. A backwater valve -which is not driven by motor, is installed in the pipe that injects water inside the pool. Should the pipe gets damaged, the backwater valve shuts down automatically, preventing the pool water from flowing out.

5. The pool depth is approximately 11m, about 7m above the top of the 4m-long spent fuels. If the pool loses its cooling function by the stop of water circulation, it takes about 3 weeks for 5m-level amount of water to evaporate. It is possible to add water into the pool either by restarting circulation by making necessary repairs or by directly pouring water from the concrete pump vehicles which stand by at the station.

* Skimmer Surge Tank A tank which is placed to catch the flooded water from the SFP.

www.tepco.co.jp...
I really think that SFP. Nr. 4 is stable and even a Mag.7 will not harm it,
Tepco knows what they do!

Since Weeks all the Blogs warming up old Stories, nothing new and i am relative Optimistic
that we handle this Disaster.

None of our Citizen Groups detected something bad in the last Check Ups,
there is not a huge discrepancy for the Food Samples, the Government get
new Instruments which are better and quicker, afir. under 20 Seconds,
this means that they can Test every Rice Bag and all Vegetables!

Summer is arriving and i am sure that the Government/ Energy Companies will torture us in this Year,
they will let us melting down until we agree to Restart a few Plants. mark this Words.

Tepco increased our Energy Bill, before it was 5.000 Yen, now it will be 15.000 Yen, Arigato Gozaimasu!

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
" TOUCH "

(Because my wife, said it was it was important,,
she likes the show,,)

had too share with u guys,,
its working,,

www.thelivingmoon.com...

On a Pacific Northwest beach, a woman named Lucy clashes with Wade, who's watching Japanese news on his computer and has a tent full of salvaged stuff, including a samurai sword. It's all ocean debris from the tsunami. Lucy sees him posting pictures online and confronts him about selling people's things.

In temporary Japanese government housing, young Seiji Osugi tries to break the world record for longest time dribbling a soccer ball. His father, Tatsoro, awaits word from his company about his job. An empty samurai sword stand hangs on the wall. A reporter asks about their tsunami experiences. Seiji's mother, Kazuko, deflects the painful memories by discussing Tatsoro's family's samurai history.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
There is a new documentary coming out today that I'm told is an absolute must see. Its by Adam Horowitz and called "Nuclear Savages". It's the story of the US's nuking of the Marshall Islands (Pacific Proving Grounds ) in the 1950's, and the sick post-blast experiments we performed on the beautiful and unsuspecting native population, which included injecting radioactive isotopes and performing experimental surgery and other procedures that had little or no relevance to medical needs and were detrimental in the long run.

One of the reasons given for the importance of seeing this film is that nothing has changed in the world of nuclear experimentation and public relations since then, and in fact things are worse. The arrogance displayed through the years to the people of the Marshall Islands is no different than the arrogance shown today towards nuclear watchdog or protest groups (that our government monitors and labels as terrorists). And it's a worldwide condition, as events in Japan and India show.

One of the key findings in the film is that the US found a host of low dose effects occurring, yet never notified the outside world, keeping the information classified. To this day the US and nuke industry make the absurd claim that low doses are safe to be exposed to when they know for a fact this is not true.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The following are from the NRCs order for changes due to lessons learned from the Fukushima accident. These are two examples of corrections made to the original order.
---------------------------------
number 1)

From;

However, because Unit 4 had been shut down for more than 3 months, the heat load was low relative to that present in spent fuel pools in the United States.

To;

However, because Unit 4 had been shut down for more than 3 months, the heat load was low relative to that present in spent fuel pools immediately following shutdown for reactor refueling.
-----------------------------------

Classic. They almost alerted Americans to how dangerous the situation really is in the US SFPs. Big mistake. Cant do that. Nada nada nada.

----------------------------------
number 2)

From;

"These additional requirements are needed to provide adequate protection to public health and safety".

To;

"These additional requirements represent a substantial increase in the protection of public health and safety.
-------------------------------------

Another classic. They almost let people know that up till now they weren't adequately protected. Of course, if they were really honest they'd let people know that they're not protected in any way shape or form and never will be. But that would probably never get out.

ON EDIT;

Here is the NRCs official response to the question of why people in the US dont need to worry about a nuclear accident.

To protect public health and safety from the inadvertent release of radioactive materials, the NRC’s defense-in-depth strategy includes multiple layers of protection: (1) prevention of accidents by virtue of the design, construction, and operation of the plant; (2) mitigation features to prevent radioactive releases should an accident occur; and (3) emergency preparedness programs that include measures such as sheltering and evacuation. The defense-in-depth strategy also provides for multiple physical barriers to contain the radioactive materials in the
event of an accident. The barriers are the fuel cladding, the reactor coolant pressure boundary, and the containment. These defense-in-depth features are embodied in the existing regulatory requirements and thereby provide adequate protection of public health and safety.

Wow, I feel so much safer now. "Defense-in-depth". For those of you not familiar with the term, it's a military term. It means that, even if an attacker possesses greater power than the defense forces, by having multiple defenses that must be gone through one by one, it will delay the advance of an attacker, buying time for the defending forces to regroup.

And what a great D in D they possess at our nuclear power plants.

The only problem is that they provide no protection whatsoever, except to the psyche of people who believe the doublespeak they hear. The main protection is design and construction. Forget beyond design accidents occurring. Or faulty construction with poor steels etc.

And then there are the mitigation's which prevent accidental releases. And these are........?

And of course there is always the fuel cladding and containment that are falling apart from embrittlement.

You feel safer too now dontcha?
edit on 2-6-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Noticed during this fly over that the north and south sides of the building have blasted holes in the same location. Wonder what would have blasted out the width of the building in such a uniform manner

Interesting observation PC. There is a marked difference in the two however as the north wall blew out two of the panels below the service floor, with panels blown out on the west wall at the northwest corner adjoining these.

The south wall below the service floor is just the single panel blown out, and appears in a violent expulsion, yet the panels on either side show no damage or bulge. Ive been trying to understand that blown out panel on the south wall for sometime but nothing yet.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
New program showing Tepco released photos on one page in thumbnails.

It takes a while to load but it is worth it because you can see all the thumbnails and all the available pages on one (big) page. You will obviously need to scroll right to see all the small images too.

Just click on the month name, or the day to go to that Tepco summary page which sometimes has handout pdfs too on it but since we cover that elsewhere, I have not added the handouts into the program list.

Hovering over any of the images will give the size of the image in Mb and clicking on the thumbnail will open in a new browser window with just that image on it. Let me know if you have any ideas how I can make it better.

The zip files to download are the movies which Tepco supply on those pages.

Just a reminder, you will need to arrive at the site from ATS - You can use any of the other links posted in the past or the one above to get there. Otherwise it will only show a very small selection of thumbnails - the most recent 50 items. There is also link to the index page at the top of each page on the site.
Q

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, we have at least solved the mystery of what the "Thing" is. I guess this leaves no doubt as to what it is, Thanks J+C.

fukushima.over-blog.fr...
There is a translate button.

But now this opens more cans of worms and makes the whole thing more confusing? How did the RPV cap get under the 5th floor?

And where is the larger octogon cap pulling machine for the yellow cap?

Some more crazy high readings from southern Brazil. I know it seems impossible, and he's not near any nuke plants.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is a radiation test of his leathers after riding in the rain, in southern England.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Unit 2 Temps Wacking Out Again

Why 4 sensors go errant at the same time is curious, and inversely...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
Some more crazy high readings from southern Brazil. I know it seems impossible, and he's not near any nuke plants.

Wonder how far this place is from a naturally occurring hot spot - Guarapari, Brazil:

www.radonmine.com...(Guarapari,%20Brazil).pdf

- Purple Chive

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Unit 2 Temps Wacking Out Again

It cant be mechanical failure as Tepco claims. Can it be? Is there any explanation for the inverse peaks occurring in mirror fashion. Is there a way that this type of pattern could be the meters failing. Any explanation at all....im clueless.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
I really think that SFP. Nr. 4 is stable and even a Mag.7 will not harm it,
Tepco knows what they do!

Since Weeks all the Blogs warming up old Stories, nothing new and i am relative Optimistic
that we handle this Disaster.

H-San, the problem is not that there are doomsayers and fearmongers among the anti nuke crowd. There will always be good and bad in any movement or group. I find it best to ignore their input and focus on the situation at hand.

The problem is that we have a situation that could happen and produce a worldwide catastrophe, and if it does, Tepco is in no way whatsoever prepared to handle it.

I understand the need to be optimistic, especially living near the area in question.

In my business we look for potential problems and then deal with them. R4 is beyond being a potential problem to being a disaster waiting to happen until they remove the spent fuel assemblies. Its not a question of 'will it happen if there is a large quake'. The question is 'could' it happen if there is a large quake.....and the answer is yes, it could. And with that as a parameter then an intense and focused effort to remove this threat is called for.

There is no excuse for them not to go in and start the removal process for all the assemblies and not just two of them. None whatsoever.

Tepco claims that they dont want to quickly remove the fuel because there could be an accident and an assembly could be dropped. My god, since when has Tepco shown any concern for anyone or anything in this whole fiasco. But now all of sudden they are so concerned about releasing radiation that theyre going to take their time to remove the fuel very very very slowly. Sorry, not buying it. Theyve been throwing things together with bubble gum and bailing wire showing no concerns whastsoever up till now. Just like the tent over R1 which was supposed to be a filter system but really releases directly into the atmosphere...its all a game and a lie.

Tepco does not know what they are doing. Nor does the SDF the real owners of the plant. Nor the Japanese government. And the world isnt going to wait much longer before coming in and taking over the situation.....I hope.

R4 must be neutralized at all costs ASAP.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
www.japantimes.co.jp...

Excellent editorial. Very well said. Much better than anything Ive ever seen in the MSM. Definately something you wouldnt see coming out of FOX news or even the NYTimes or some other status quo rag from America.

The sole "scientific basis" for restarting the Oi reactors 3 and 4 is the results of a stress test. But a stress test is, after all, a computer simulation whose results can vary depending on the data fed into computers and the computer programs used.

In addition, the data and programs used have not been disclosed and third-party checks are impossible. Thus outside parties cannot determine whether the test is appropriate. Stress tests are merely being used as an excuse for the central government and power companies to restart reactors.

This is something activists in the US and Canada have been trying to point out for years concerning simulations used by industry. They are BS games that can be easily manipulated in ways that cant be seen or understood by someone outside the loop.

The central government's dangerous obsession with restarting the reactors is highlighted by the fact that it has not even worked out a road map to phase out nuclear power generation.

Which outa tell folks that they have no intention of switching from nuclear. They are just passing the time waiting for things to cool down....no pun intended.

Thorough scrutiny of the Fukushima nuclear crisis has yet to be completed, and no new nuclear safety standards and regulations based on the Fukushima disaster have been devised.

Nor in the US. Japan and the US are acting in the exact same manner.....both waiting for things to cool down....no pun intended, and then carry on as before. Fortunately, the masses are no longer asleep.

The pronukies in these two countries are the enemy of the people. Make no mistake about it. There was a coup in these countries after WWII, and the militaries now run everything. Just try and really stop nuke power or nuke weapons and see what happens.

DO NOT GO BACK TO SLEEP. DO NOT PRETEND EVERYTHING IS OK. ALL FUTURE GENERATIONS ARE DEPENDING ON US TO STAND STRONG AND SAVE LIFE SO THEY CAN ACTUALLY ENJOY IT AND NOT FEAR IT 100 YEARS FROM NOW. OR 1000 YEARS FROM NOW.

THE WAR AGAINST PRO-NUCLEAR NUTCASES HAS BEGUN. WE CAN NOT LET THEM GO BACK TO BUSINESS AS USUAL. DOWN WITH ALL NUCLEAR INFESTED MILITARIES AND THE PEOPLE THAT PROMOTE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Good one from Mooch. fukushima-diary.com... FukushimaDiary+%28Fukushima+Diary%29

Tepco ordered employees to downplay Fukushima accident

Weekly Asahi reported another comment of the Tepco engineer from the engineering devision.
“One month after 311, when he was talking to his coworker, he heard they were ordered by the company to downplay the Fukushima accident to make it look less severe than Chernobyl.

It has never happened in the world that multiple reactors exploded. I thought that was a problem to downplay the influence. Probably they did not disclose information for the same reason.”

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The SPEEDI and other simulator chapter is going to take awhile. It is so convoluted what they did. Unbelievably so. This is an example. I was trying to figure why the CTBTO station southwest of Fukushima didn't pick up the plume that would have started hitting it around 23:00 on the 14th and continue to 5PM on the 15th. It just doesn't make any sense.

Since the CTBTO is in place to ascertain if radionuclides were bomb derived, I figured that the plume, which I believed was an ongoing dirty bomb for the first few hours, wouldve shown up with a particular isotope ratio indicative of a dirty bomb expulsion. But they were showing nothing.

Then I finally saw it. They dont have that time period listed as they skipped a day. How #ing convenient is that. I had been looking at this chart for over a year thinking that the 13th was the 14th cause I quess I thought the CTBTO wasnt bought off. Silly me. This is a worldwide conspiracy that is getting scary.

The Japanese government and the US government has from day one of the R3 blast been manipulating data to hide the fact that it was a nuclear dirty bomb type explosion.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

www.abovetopsecret.com...

By the way Radiation effects rubber
Seals,,

Pages: >
ATS Members have flagged this thread 1 times
Topic started on 25-4-2011 @ 12:13 PM by BobAthome
Calculating present rates of radioactive release,(A ?) atmoshperic (B ?)as well as enviomentaly. (C ?)
Given the est. time frame of stopping said release ( X ?) and of course assuming an expotential rise within said time frame ( Tx ?)

Can a mathematical formula be constructed to give time frame levels say in the manner of a color coded chart?

Just curious.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:19 PM by Mactire
Unfortunately I don't think there's a real "accurate" way to measure the radiation escaping from Fukushima, especially since both the Japanese government and the US government are being tight lipped about the real amount of radiation that is actually being expent into the air and water per hour/day/week/etc.

Plus this level will continue to rise until they bury that place in concrete. Which is what will have to be done. Looking at the damage of the plant I'd wager that they never get it under control and will ultimately have to abandon the site, but until they realize this or atleat give into this truth, the radiation will continue to rise and spread at an unknown (classified) rate.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:22 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by Mactire

Want too stay on topic as much as possible, but is "Can a mathematical formula be constructed" the real question i was asking.
Probably not worded correctly.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:22 PM by lewman
i would think it would be quite tricky as there is not a constant unchanging wind travelling in any one direction

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:26 PM by BobAthome
Yes i can see where variables of course would have too be on a mean basis, extrapolating data as best as possible, from as reliable a sourse as possible and approximation will at best be limited too the actual known variables,, but from a pure mathematitical equation??

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:46 PM by Maxmars
I suspect the math for a visualization is quite possible.

However, the data you require may not be available from a source that people will accept.

Also, there are questions regarding the nature of the radioactivity particulate or radiant... these are two completely different models.

Not that I have any notable mathematical skills. Just opining.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:57 PM by BobAthome
You know what they say if you can visualize it ,it can be done! (well in the mathematical field anyway
Cause if you can do it mathematically i'm pretty sure their are lots of script kiddies who can make it nice and pretty
Now if we had the resourses available to a important person ie lots of cash,,, well i'm sure the graph would be made within the hour.
Cause remember if you can put a man on the moon with a computer with the processing power of todays, you know i can even think off anything that weak in processor/computing size on todays market,,,damn feeling old again,, damn you progress!! shakes fist,, drops too knees,,lol

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:58 PM by Mactire
reply to post by BobAthome

Well in mathematics, while you don't need the value of each variable to construct a formula, you do need the values of each of these variables to find the "answer" to this formula.

For instance if:

windspeed = A
wind direction = B
the amount of radiation leaked per hour = C
the amount of hours = D
the amount of radioactive water being dumped back into the ocean = E
the direction of the oceanic currents = F
the amount of radiation accumulated in the clouds and dispersed as rain = G
the seasonal wind change = H
the season oceanic flow = I

While you can calculate wind direction and speed, ocean current, precipitation amounts, and even the length of time the radiation leak has been going on, without the variables for C & E, you can't have an answer to the equation. You'll be left with an answer looking something like:

= CE per mi²

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 12:59 PM by YouAreDreaming

If we have actual facts as to what amount of radiation is leaking then there should be a formula to base fairly accurate predictions on. I think the Jetstream and Current graphs currently available are fair guesswork at what is going on.

From what I have been reading some people believe that 2,000 (500MT) nuclear bomb worth of material has escaped and already irradiated the planet 70x over.

finance.bnet.com...

This article is on many websites and blogs now.

The Pacific Ocean is one very concerning vector of the radioactive waste, as it supports a lot of food-chain distribution that could help it exceed dilution levels as food migrates.

The other problem is the cover-up of all the other radioactive isotopes such as plutonium. Yet a thread on ATS says the EPA is detecting plutonium-239 in North America related to Japan.

What concerns me on the authenticity of these readings is the the numbers seem static and not increasing even with cesium which tells me they may not be reporting accurately on purpose. There is a cover-up. That makes any true data collection and predictions impossible.

When Reactor-3 blew and everyone was talking about the spent-fuel pools on the roofs being blown off with as much as 6 reactor worth of spent fuel, I was quite convinced that this disaster so we can look at what info is out there with regard to the spent fuel rods

energyfromthorium.com...

The cooling tanks at the compromised Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant collectively house around 11,000 SNF rods with a portion of those housed in the cooling tanks above reactors 1-4.

Each "rod" is 12 feet long housing pellets of Uranium with a radius of ~ 1 cm so that should give us the ability to calculate volume. mathcentral.uregina.ca...

Volume = 0.0011491 cubic meters = 1149.1 cubic centimeters = 0.0015029 cubic yards = 0.040579 cubic feet = 70.12 cubic inches = 0.30355 U.S. gallons = 1.1491 liters

We should be able to calculate the mass based on Volume but I am running out of time and have to go to work.

I'll let some one else pick up from here on.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 01:03 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by Mactire

See thats why i failed triginometry??
Once you start with,,,,,,, well if x +(y3-2)+3y-5= no matter what answer you give me
i have too say YES lol
You could say the answer was fluff bunnies again YES.. cause not a clue when it comes to that stuff.

Thats why will leave it too the matha nd physic people and once in a while get an ahhh from my brain, instead of blah,blah

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 01:07 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

quote "What concerns me on the authenticity of these readings is the the numbers seem
static and not increasing
even with cesium which tells me they may not be reporting accurately on purpose. There is a cover-up. That makes any true data collection and predictions impossible. "

static and not increasing not possible as the variable "E" enviroment is still for a fact being dosed. "E" being ocean

Here brain go ,,,not possible, therefore bull#.
edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: easier

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 01:15 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Look at the earth, something around 5000F about the size of a pellet i guess,, thats just a guess,,but why the iron??rods?? they are holding? curious,,and curiouser,,said the cat too the hat?? lol
edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 01:32 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by Mactire

But C and E had too be known before march 10 2011,, so as TEPCO releases updates , remember this is going too take up too six months before they anticipate stopping radioactive release,, it would just be a matter of inputing C and E then , right?

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 01:53 PM by Mactire

And once they stop the radiation release (which will likely happen when they bury that place under concrete, because they aren't going to be able to get that place up and running again), you'll have to get these numbers from TEPCO, and that's if the Japanese Government allows it, and if they do, you'll have to wager they're telling the truth. The same goes for our own government.
I'm not saying numbers will never be given. The public will force an answer, but the question is, will you be able to trust the "C & E" values you're given. If they're off by a fraction you'll not get a real answer, and if it isn't a "real" and accurate answer then whats the difference between that and a guess?

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 02:08 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by Mactire

quote "and if it isn't a "real" and accurate answer then whats the difference between that and a guess? "
unquote,,
forgive me, but in my old line of work, in a lot of case's the difference was physical injury or death,,
the diference between a guess and fact that is.
and no i'm not being melodramatic, in some field's of work ie elec/heat etc,, you can't guess,, and when you have too guess,,,and it happens,,believe you me it is a feeling that you don't wish too experience.

edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)
edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: sp
edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: more sp

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 02:49 PM by Fiberx
If the question is, can we predict the total radiation being emitted by the fuel at fukushima, the answer is yes. They process of decay is well understood.

To predict distribution is not so easy. We have to take what are general, local measurements of air and sea currents, ground water movements and a host of other relatively imprecise pieces of data and give a best guess.

You can do it, how exact it would be would vary greatly across global distances.

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 02:51 PM by Mactire

Agreed, but if the difference between the "truth" and the "Government's version of the truth" varies between lethal and nonlethal amounts of radiation reaching well beyond the alleged dispersion range, then the truth is all the relevance in the world. The best thing to do would be to go ahead and assume its not good, buy some kelp, and bring an umbrella with you everywhere you go. An NBC filter on a gas mask couldn't hurt either. Luckily I'm an East Coaster, so I have that American Buffer to let me know if its getting too close to home. Unlucky for me, the Eastern half of the country is where a lot of our domestic nuclear plants are located so....
no earthquakes for me please.
edit on 25-4-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

reply posted on 25-4-2011 @ 04:52 PM by BobAthome
reply to post by Mactire

Actually was more concerned, for now, with the fact that radiation will destroy rubber/seals/hydralics.
Airplanes flying in this soup of newly created atoms, is not good. Expect more incidents. I sure hope our "experts" thought of that.
edit on 25-4-2011 by BobAthome because: sp

they keep forgetting.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Reduced river flow and warm river water causes nuclear reactors to be switched off due to them not having enough cooling water. That's interesting too.

US, European nuclear and coal-fired electrical plants vulnerable to climate change: study 03Jun12

Warmer water and reduced river flows in the United States and Europe in recent years have led to reduced production, or temporary shutdown, of several thermoelectric power plants. For instance, the Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant in Alabama had to shut down more than once last summer because the Tennessee River's water was too warm to use it for cooling.

A study by European and University of Washington scientists published today in Nature Climate Change projects that in the next 50 years warmer water and lower flows will lead to more such power disruptions. The authors predict that thermoelectric power generating capacity from 2031 to 2060 will decrease by between 4 and 16 percent in the U.S. and 6 to 19 percent in Europe due to lack of cooling water. The likelihood of extreme drops in power generation—complete or almost-total shutdowns—is projected to almost triple.

"This study suggests that our reliance on thermal cooling is something that we're going to have to revisit," said co-author Dennis Lettenmaier, a UW professor of civil and environmental engineering.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

I asked him Purple. He is 1200 miles away from that hot spot. No uranium mines or nuke plants close by either.

A look at the 5th floor looking north.

And the same spot one floor below. You can see a bit of the RPV mound in the further back openimg in the ceiling. Also in the top left corner you can see just a bit of the freight shaft [painted blue] We know from previous pics the RPV is just north of the blue freight shaft on the 5th floor.

Sorry Charlie, you're radioactive.

www.thelosangelespost.org... ign=bluefin-tuna-contaminated-fukushima-daiichi-cesium-documented-u-s-west-coast

www.oregonlive.com...

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
And with that as a parameter then an intense and focused effort to remove this threat is called for.

Yes!

There is no excuse for them not to go in and start the removal process for all the assemblies and not just two of them. None whatsoever.

How do you propose to get them out? (keep in mind they require constant shielding)

top topics

<< 1271  1272  1273    1275  1276  1277 >>

join