It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1266.htm
<< 1263  1264  1265    1267  1268  1269 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
What's a few more risks eh?
Tepco is planning to pump up groundwater to reduce the amount of water to flow into the basement floor of reactor building.
fukushima-diary.com...-0R8.facebook

Looks like more steam shooting up between #2 and #3. We know Tepco transfer's and dumps into the sea via #2 turbine. We know the bus windows steamed up and the cameras were cut when the reporters went past #2 turbine on the east side. Also we have a tall strange scafolding with black netting east of number 2 turbine that may or may not mean anything?
But I could be wrong and this steam might be from the buildings west of the reactors. Whatever it is, we've seen it before.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I read this and decided to get dust masks.
It's from last year.

"Although radiation escaping from a nuclear power plant catastrophe can increase the risk of many cancers and other health problems, stress, anxiety and fear ended up in many ways being much greater long-term threats to health and well-being after Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and other nuclear accidents, experts said Monday. "The psychological effects were the biggest health effects of all — by far," said Fred Mettler, a University of New Mexico professor emeritus and one of the world's leading authorities on radiation, who studied Chernobyl for the World Health Organization. "In the end, that's really what affected the most people." Fears of contamination and anxiety about the health of those exposed and their children led to significantly elevated rates of suicidal thinking and anxiety disorders, and rates of post-traumatic stress disorder and depression about doubled, Mettler and others said." Needless to say, the fears are not unfounded. Radioactive exposure is clearly dangerous. However, what the most appropriate remedy might be is a controversial issue.

articles.mercola.com...

It wont be because of the radiation,but because of the stress of thinking about it.
So,go,have another beer.
Things will be just peachy.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Nuclear meltdowns 200x more likely than previously estimated

Catastrophic nuclear accidents such as the core meltdowns in Chernobyl and Fukushima are more likely to happen than previously assumed. Based on the operating hours of all civil nuclear reactors and the number of nuclear meltdowns that have occurred, scientists at the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz have calculated that such events may occur once every 10 to 20 years (based on the current number of reactors) — some 200 times more often than estimated in the past.

The researchers also determined that, in the event of such a major accident, half of the radioactive caesium-137 would be spread over an area of more than 1,000 kilometres away from the nuclear reactor. Their results show that Western Europe is likely to be contaminated about once in 50 years by more than 40 kilobecquerel of caesium-137 per square meter.

According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, an area is defined as being contaminated with radiation from this amount onwards. In view of their findings, the researchers call for an in-depth analysis and reassessment of the risks associated with nuclear power plants.

The reactor accident in Fukushima has fuelled the discussion about nuclear energy and triggered Germany’s exit from their nuclear power program. It appears that the global risk of such a catastrophe is higher than previously thought, a result of a study carried out by a research team led by Jos Lelieveld, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz:

“After Fukushima, the prospect of such an incident occurring again came into question, and whether we can actually calculate the radioactive fallout using our atmospheric models.” According to the results of the study, a nuclear meltdown in one of the reactors in operation worldwide is likely to occur once in 10 to 20 years. Currently, there are 440 nuclear reactors in operation, and 60 more are planned.

scienceblog.com...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Useful Harvard University reports at the Japan Sendai Earthquake Data Portal

How they want you to remember it and history to record it (PDF)
(not including the sensationalists and journalistic views of course)
The Great East Japan Earthquake and Libraries [Report, March 2012]
plus a large number of other interesting photos and reports

good before/after tsunami maps from france 1
good before/after maps from france item

interactive map (see drop down on left for fukushima using Bing maps with overlays)

UN Spider org maps related to japan earthquake
Tsunami related standing bodies or water 1
Tsunami related standing bodies or water 2

edit on 23 May 2012 by qmantoo because: addition

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   

What's the "TIP" Room? Quince Going Into Unit 3...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I think it may be the Torus room. Do a search on Google there are several Youtube vids of it
also Enformable R#2

If it is, then it seems there are hatches there which some poor tepco person has to use.
torus room in R2
access hatch

Tepco R2 TIP room page 22mar12 + video 52M plus images

edit on 23 May 2012 by qmantoo because: addition

edit on 23 May 2012 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815

According to the results of the study, a nuclear meltdown in one of the reactors in operation worldwide is likely to occur once in 10 to 20 years. Currently, there are 440 nuclear reactors in operation, and 60 more are planned.
scienceblog.com...

H-San, I did a post a long time ago that stated the same. I crunched the numbers of all accidents (including non power use), reactors etc and came up with, IMS, every 14 years we should expect a major nuclear accident. I see my math must be getting better. And like so many other things from day one, the world heard it first on this thread......and then Max Planck. Cool.

ON EDIT: I should add that that ratio for accidents can only get shorter as embrittlement and other phenomenons occur, and reactors get older and older. I liken it to the life expectancy of an automobile. After so many years the break down rate goes way up.
edit on 23-5-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive
What's the "TIP" Room? Quince Going Into Unit 3.

dont know about the TIP room, but check out quince having to avoid one of the highest readings in the room. That area is part of the short roof section of the reactor building and that high reading is very interesting, since its on the first floor of the reactor.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is a lie. This is how media manipulates us. By creating illusions that then become real. The following quote is from enenews.com... -oi-nuke-plant-acceptance-has-failed-to-progress-acto

The author is trying to establish a future scenario.

The picture of an enraged Japanese public about to explode at its leaders that the film draws is at odds with the real facts: The movement seems more likely to fragment before the government does, judging by the diminished numbers at demonstrations a year after the accident

All movements go through ebb and flow as far as numbers go, swelling initially and then leveling off with the hard cores continuing the fight until the next flare up and everyone jumps back in. This is how the protest movements of the world have always moved.

But the media is constantly trying to give a different face to protesters, or reduce numbers, or they feature photos of obvious scum bag infiltrators paid to make the protest look ugly. Dan Rather in his new book says that 80% of all major media outlets are owned by 4 mega corps with right wing to extreme right wing credentials. One thing you can take to the bank, these people have an agenda and they will do anything to control the flow of truth.

Blow up the TV.

ON EDIT: Oh yeah, everyones given up and gone back to being normal happy people......right.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
enenews.com... -thousands-of-people-working-furiously-every-day

Chris Canine has 15 years experience as a Health Physics Technician, Chemist and Radiation Safety Instructor. He has worked at over 20 plants throughout the United States, Japan and Mexico — including Fukushima #1 and #2 in the late 1970′s.

If #4 SFP collapses it will be lying on the completely open ground, probably going critical on and off in portions of the pile for years. The dose rate from this pile will make dropping sand or anything from the air much more lethal than anything at Chernobyl. And probably impossible.

If posted before I apologize. I missed this when it first came out. This guy is kinda like a troubleshooter who knows all aspects of the nuclear power system. Criticality off and on for years is something Ive never heard any other media or industry expert say and is troubling. Does this mean that the corium is going on and off critical as well. If so, it could burn its way deep into the ground. thats a good thing as long as it doesnt hit a pocket of water with enough moisture to cause a boom. But really bad for the ocean, which will be receiving the lions share of nuclides.

This is another thing that people heard on this thread from SL and TRN a long long time ago. All the expert talk on PF and other sites of 'impossible to re-achieve criticality' is like everything else from pro nukies.....BS.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Originally posted by Purplechive
What's the "TIP" Room? Quince Going Into Unit 3.

dont know about the TIP room, but check out quince having to avoid one of the highest readings in the room. That area is part of the short roof section of the reactor building and that high reading is very interesting, since its on the first floor of the reactor.

Thanks Z and Q!! And yes...the robot dude is going way out of his way to avoid that 388 reading...good catch!! Maybe a pile of plutonium? That's actually the 2nd highest reading after the 870...and they are rather far apart.

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 23-5-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Just one question. Is the bottom of the map of #2 the west side? If it is, all the higher numbers seem to be near the south wall of #2. The wall facing #3,... I'm just wondering if it could be connected to the releases between the two?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
reply to post by zworld

Just one question. Is the bottom of the map of #2 the west side? If it is, all the higher numbers seem to be near the south wall of #2. The wall facing #3,... I'm just wondering if it could be connected to the releases between the two?

No, the number 2 is for Quince, the second. Its Unit three theyre sending the poor bot into and the bottom wall should be the south wall. The biggest number 870 is near what I think is a penetration point for pipes or something, and the 300+ one is in the southeast corner just east of where the flame shot up through R3s roof on the 14th.

ON EDIT: AC or anyone. Just to be sure, if someone checks the tepco cam, I cant get over the thought that the big gas lamp is only where it is to block viewing beyond into the southend arena. Right now it appears that there are four columns of steam or smoke coming from these, the R3/R4 stack, the 4stack, and two directly behind the gas lamp.

Notice how the water spots react differently. Hmmm.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
OK.....last post for awhile........no really, Im going fishing..........Im serious.....why are you laughing?

These are the only shots I have found so far that show an irregular surf pattern out front of the discharge canal. The one from the 15th shows the break coming across from the quay. The other is from late april and a part of those snuck out in the 70 shot folder at the crypt. Most other photos show the deep darker channel. Just another Fukushima mystery maybe.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld
This is another thing that people heard on this thread from SL and TRN a long long time ago. All the expert talk on PF and other sites of 'impossible to re-achieve criticality' is like everything else from pro nukies.....BS.

You are correct in that TRN did talk about the corium "pulsing", going re-critical and then falling below threshold again only to re-criticalize, again and again. It is a kind of "breathing". It will cycle through criticality, for 12500 generations of mankind and it has been doing this from day one in each reactor. However, the danger from the fuel pool aside from the rods achieving criticality, is of Pyrophoric fire that can't be extinguished by conventional means (water actually adds to the fire). At temperatures like we are discussing, sand would turn to glass, encasing the corium mass, or fuel, actually adding a "glass blanket". This of course was done in Chernobyl, but I'm not sure how much success can be attributed to the glass. Since the chain reactions are going to happen regardless from within the blanket the mass is going to burn through whatever is below it eventually. haha, you might have a nice glass 'mother mould' of what the corium blob looked like for a time before it exited. Take it home and put it on the coffee table .. anyhow..

Trying to put a sand/glass blanket on the fire could perhaps cut down the suspension which is what we are really worried about, but like he says trick is getting it there - suicide mission, even in full gear, you'd probably only have seconds at that dose - dieing pilots crashing choppers type stuff. Of course if you could work it would you could do a controlled collapse. A lot of variables to work out but worth a thought. A bit of proactive thinking I think Tepco is unlikely to engage in. If you brought it down you might have a pause time long enough to apply a mitigation -- but its probably so crazy and risky it'll never happen, not that the wait 'n see approach we are doing isn't also crazy risky! Playing the odds bigtime, with less chance of mitigation. Someone is running the numbers right now and playing the short side for sure. Thanks pal.

And yes, I have believed for a long while now, just my opinion, the blobs have been tunneling their way to who knows where since about a day or so after 3/11 and there is not much that men can do to stop physics now. I think some of the regular shallow 3-5M quakes under Fuku (and they tend to cluster) are the corium encounters with groundwater, causing highly energetic steam releases the pressure is causing these small quakes. The corium is quite deep now. I have no real evidence other than the frequency of these quakes, their clustering which is odd, and their shallowness. Unusual, and the fact you have tons of corium tunneling into the earth beside an ocean could be looked at as highly causal. Little fissures and cracks in the ground releasing steam, that we saw being discovered a while back, are also indicative. The entire site is probably geo-seismically extremely unstable now, akin to a dropped cake.

(edit) ah, yes, perhaps the best thing now is to bury several small nukes deep (5 miles or so down) around the perimeter of the site, try to crack off the area it is reasting on and blow site into the ocean. I know, it sucks for the ocean. It will die and we might die. If we don't, well, how do you feel about 125000 generations of man dealing with this? After all this continual radiation releases, do you think there will be anyone here?
edit on 23-5-2012 by Wertwog because: stuffing it all in

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

upon further thought,,as i stated too,, someone here on page 22?,,dont know,
i suggested "tunnling immediatetly",,,
(at that that time ,,march,,12?,,,)
too bore diagonally
beneath the Torus,,,its a clifff,,,how hard can it be? ,,

i mean the damn,,
USS BATTLESHIP WAS THERE,,with full back up,,,

AND CUT OFF THE MELT BY filling the area,, with,, what ever you stop an melt of goo with,,

Because the option at the time was too ,,help it go under water,,,USS BATTLESHIP,,
but i suggested that if they did they would set off,, that entire VOLCANIC,ring,,,
including,, Fugi.

So be carefull,,there are fault lines which are VERY dangerous,,there.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

You may have been prophetic in that one Bob. I ran across an article a while back that said that the US advised Japan, and had a plan ready, to nuke the site. I don't know if was the plan I stated above but it would make sense if the objective is to sink the site. I was pretty much against just dropping a nuke on it since we'd have a wonderful unholy suspension of all that nuke material to go around the earth and wipe us all out... that.. woud not be a good plan. But sinking it may ultimately be the only plan we are left with. Further activating the ring of fire is weighted against the global radiation risk... and the discontinuation of an entire country.

I don't think Fuku is on a shelf (is it? if so, gadzooks, hey great place to build a reactor -- on a fault, on a shelf, near a tsunami prone region), but they do have tunneling machines for deep water drilling and other gear that can go very very deep, and there was a lot of talk I remember to go in through the side. They could have at least tried a boron moderator plug of some kind - drain the groundwater chambers (they know are there since they can see them from satellite geo-imaging) and fill them with a moderator. Probably too vastly expensive and perhaps the timelines didn't work. Tepco are a bunch of cheap b*st&rds and the world has not stepped up and in where it should. US took their ship, evacuated their base south of Toyko, and went home. Makes one think. All the more reason to believe they want to release as much radiation as possible since everything that would have mitigated it HAS NOT been attempted, in fact, been escalated for maximum release scenarios. Perhaps they aren't playing the short side at all, but the long side of the modeling scenarios, and that is all the more reason for the bug-out bag, but unless you have a special ticket to an underground base most of us are likely to be the "heaving masses" no matter what we do except do our radiation mitigation, love our fellow beings, and try to stay on top of the gunnysack

edit on 23-5-2012 by Wertwog because: skweek

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertwog

there is only one thing all know for sure at this point ,,
hey it should have went nuclear that night,,really,,,it should have,,,ripped a hole in that new fault they just found,,,ya it runs too fugi,,,,
knocked the world sidewase from the resulting eruption of the entire ring of fire,,etccccc,
but it didn't,,
now how do we clean it up,,,
its been over a year,,of borrowed time,,just have too say hey if it was up too,,me,, humanity would get a F for fail.
but thank GOD it is not,,
so yes borrowed time,,
chin up,, pip,,,,
somehow humanity does ,,and will thrive,,,,no thrive is wrong,,,,do better,,, as it should !
on this precious ,blue, ball, of life and hope,,
we just may never see it.
;0
and we are all on borrowed time,,anyway,,,

edit on 23-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

400,000 terabecquerels of iodine-131 and 360,000 terabecquerels of cesium-137.

Golly Gee! Lovely!

enenews.com... ecquerels

Generate an electromagnetic force field around the dang thing.

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

New Houses to Protect From Radiation...

ajw.asahi.com...

- Purple Chive

top topics

<< 1263  1264  1265    1267  1268  1269 >>

join