It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1258.htm
<< 1255  1256  1257    1259  1260  1261 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What a bone chilling thought, Silver. Truly. Your last paragraph just floored me but I thank you for being straight up.

Fukushima Daiichi Worker: Nothing can be done except to leak radioactive water! — Honestly feel that we are dumping massive amounts into ocean — Will spread all over world, reaching Hawaii and US soon.
japanfocus.org...

This makes me wonder?????
Flight attendants fall ill after wearing 'toxic' uniforms which 'make their HAIR fall out'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

You don't suppose....

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Latest Reports...Still Only in Japanese

Think this is Unit 2 - pretty good Kr-85 levels:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Some sort of leak?
www.tepco.co.jp...

Unit 2 Hydrogen and Pressure Levels looking better:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Babble translate:

It is before the old office work main building, from near the pump room for filtrate water water supply the water having blown out to fog condition with the camera for supervision verification. After that, 13: To stop the particular pump in 00, 13: Executing the closed operation of the supply root valve of the filtrate water in 07. Furthermore, at the camera for supervision verifying that leakage of the water has stopped in the 13:03. As for surface dosage rate of the water which leaks with 300~ 400μSv/h equality to the atmosphere dosage rate around. Verifying that leakage occurs the result of verifying actual place, the hose which it is connected to the particular pump due to the fact that crack occurs (for filtrate water). In addition, the water which leaks is the filtrate water, verifying that it is not leakage to outside the site from the fact that it is not the mark where the water flowed near thing and the leakage place where the water is not flowing to the downstream side of the side groove. 16: It executes the exchange of 00 particular hoses, verifying that it is not leakage. Above

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Also I'm convinced that there are many particles in the air from Fuku they won't change much for a flight as the concentration would be too low and the air condition supply in an aircraft has really good filters (multi stage). You probably get the best air in an aircraft (excluding a clean room). Just the humidity is a bit low due to all the air handling/heating/cooling on its way into the cabin but most bacteria would be killed in the high temp stage.

And what most people don't realize is that the normal radiation is up to 10x higher during a flight. Please have a look into these document page 9/10:
cordis.europa.eu...

The cosmic gamma radiation is pretty high and we are just protected through all the air between us. The higher you get the less shielding remains. It's not unusual to see 5 uSv/h readings in an airplane. So at least this reading is normal/low for such a flight (also I wished that I could blame Fuku for it
)

As you can read in the beginning of the document an aircraft crew can get an even higher anual dose than nuclear workers:

The annual average radiation dose to aircraft crew may become similar to or even larger than that of other occupationally exposed groups.

edit on 9-5-2012 by UnixFE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE
The annual average radiation dose to aircraft crew may become similar to or even larger than that of other occupationally exposed groups.

The difference is that radiation encountered in an airplane is almost entirely low energy radioactive particles, and little if any alpha 'hot particles'. Its them hot particles that do the most damage in the long run.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
From ENENEWS enenews.com... o-ocean-will-spread-all-over-world-reaching-hawaii-and-us-so

He revealed that the current facility removes only cesium and that other radioactive materials such as strontium cannot be cleaned up.

“You know how much contaminated water is stored at the Fukushima Daiichi site? It is 200,000 tons......it is impossible to store that much water on site. So, it is obvious that some of the contaminated water has been leaked into the ocean.”

“Everyone there knows that the amount of water is huge but does not speak about it. Anyone who works there understands that nothing can be done except to leak the water!”

There are over 200 fission products associated with a nuclear meltdown. They are removing two of these, C-134 and C-137, and then re-using the water or dumping/storing it. Water that is re-used is re-used again and again and the levels of those 200+ fission products that aren't removed build into ever greater amounts. Brilliant. No wonder the sludge is running in the many Sv/hr range. Time to add the entire storage facility as another ticking time bomb. And the Pacific Ocean as Fukushima's toilet.

Im having alot of trouble understanding how the world's leaders and nuke regulators can pretend everythings OK at Fukushima. Cold blooded killers they are.....and we are the victims.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
All,

While doing some research for Maxmars' thread, Fukushima fuel pool is urgent national security issue for America, 'top threat facing humanity', I found a rather interesting document which I have just read in full.

I present here several excerpts for your reading pleasure:

It's clear from our investigation of the Fukushima Daiichi accident that, even in the technologically advanced country of Japan, the government and the plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), were astonishingly unprepared, at almost all levels, for the complex nuclear disaster that started with an earthquake and a tsunami. And this grave oversight will affect the Japanese people for decades.

Tepco bears the primary responsibility for the incompetent handling of the aftermath of the disaster. Behind the failure to prepare adequately for a major accident are problems inherent in Tepco's management structure and culture.

But government regulators, the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) and the Nuclear Safety Commission (NSC) which oversees NISA's activities as the safety authority, share the blame for the poor response at Fukushima.

The Japanese governmentÕs unpreparedness also played a role in exacerbating the Fukushima disaster.

Another preparedness breakdown involves SPEEDI, the Japanese government's System for Prediction of Environmental Emergency Dose Information. The system was touted as able to provide forecasts for the diffusion of radioactive materials during a nuclear event, but it remained largely unused during the crisis because the Nuclear Safety Commission and the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) were reluctant to release predictions claiming that the simulated results were based on what several government officials interviewed by our commission called "unreliable emission source term."

The failure to use SPEEDI suggests that the heavy investment in time and money to develop this system were for naught.

Why were preparations for a nuclear accident so inadequate? One factor was a twisted myth, a belief in the "absolute safety" of nuclear power. This myth has been propagated by interest groups seeking to gain broad acceptance for nuclear power: A public relations effort on behalf of the absolute safety of nuclear power was deemed necessary to overcome the strong anti-nuclear sentiments connected to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Japan's nuclear safety regulatory regime has been under the dual jurisdiction of the Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI), which promotes nuclear energy use, 9 and the Science and Technology Agency (now partof MEXT). Supposedly, NISA enforce and NSC double-checks the regulatory review, however, both agencies use the same guidelines in their review. It should come as no surprise that the problems with this clunky structure have been criticized by the international community for quite some time.

As a regulatory agency, NISA lacked the philosophy, capacity, and personnel to properly fulfill its role, and it has consequently failed to train true safety regulation professionals.

The response to the Fukushima nuclear accident revealed a crisis in the administration and enforcement of safety regulations. To correct the problem, bureaucratic sectionalism and duplicate safety regulations must be eliminated, and the government needs to create a nuclear regulatory authority that is not part of a ministry that promotes nuclear energy use.

Fukushima in review: A complex disaster, a disastrous response

This demonstrates that there is some awareness of where the problems lie. Let us hope that awareness grows and is put to good use.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

I think this illustrates quite well that even though many companies, government agencies, health care centres, etc do have plans in place for disaster-type scenarios and often practice said scenarios, when it really happens plans rarely go according to plan.

I believe Hurricane Katrina is a good example, along with Fukushima, Chernobyl, Exxon Valdez, Piper Alpha, The BP Spill 5 miles down, etc, etc, ad infinitum.

Business, even government business, left to its own devices inevitably tries to economise on and profitise all operations and generally get things done in the quickest but not always safest or most effective way possible.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

which begs the question why did we tamper with energy having the potential to destroy mankind
ill add the line to see if we could,not if we should...
we are apart of something greater than our selves
a system that we are apart of,that we were born from,that we are literally made of
when will we learn constructing our own environment in place of the one that makes us live
will continuously come back and bite us

edit on 9-5-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The latest from fairwinds. Hot Particles and Measurement of Radioactivity
vimeo.com...

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Durham N.C a couple of hours ago.

Strontium 90 spread over 1000km evenly in Pacific ocean.
fukushima-diary.com...

And Knuckel is still busting tepco.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled
And Knuckel is still busting tepco.

Oh yeah. The covering for R1 was done to contain and filter the emissions of nuclides. Right, got it.

What a bunch of liars. R1 is venting all the time, or maybe only at night.

Im beginning to suspect that a couple of chunks of corium are in the earth below conainment, and are superheating the grounwater, only they havent hit a pocket of enough water to cause a steam explosion. R1 they vent from the covering at night. Steam from R3, R4 and the UC, due to a blown out tunnel system underneath, is being vented out the 4stack and some comes out the exhaust fan house via leaks on its way to the stack.

I have been trying to see if emissions are coming out the 4stack but it's too high up. They have set up the bright light vapor lamp so the top of the stack isnt visible.

If true, it means Fukushima is still cooking away underground. The key will be if any melted fuel can cool slowly from small amounts of water in the pore spaces versus one of the chunks hitting a pocket of groundwater sufficient to cause a steam boom.

When the corium causes a steam explosion, the water goes from cold to superheated and expands 1600 times. Since the underground environment does not allow for the release of this expansion energy, it will compress the chunk of almost pure U and Pu........and do what. Since the ratio for a nuke explosion is amount of fissile material to amount of compression, and these chunks could be many times the size of a plutonium or uranium pit used in a bomb, the amount of compression needed will be less than a regular nuclear device.

Im hoping that the UC is now buried from the initial blast and submersed in groundwater, and any hot fuel has cooled down.

But the corium as I said will be for many years a ticking time bomb.
edit on 10-5-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Its unbelievable. Totally. From EXSKF

Minami Soma Assemblyman: "5.57 Million Bq/kg Cesium from Soil, and People Are Cleaning Out Their Homes"

If someone knows how, could they please get ahold of the councilman and tell him to test for alpha and low energy beta as well as cesium.

I think contained in the black dust anywhere near Fukushima Dai-ichi is U and Pu fine particles that have spontaneously ignited when ejected from the nuke plant.

And the yellow/green dust that fell in March 2011 in Kanto was infected with U and Pu fine particles that hadnt ignited because at the time of their emission it was raining.

yellow/green = unburnt U and Pu

black = burnt U and Pu

and anywhere this dust is there will also be high levels of hundreds of other fission, activation and transuranic products.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
From Enformable enformable.com...

San Onofre has not submitted for restart yet though media was reporting this. when they do we can stop them with a flood of emails and letters to the NRC.......maybe. Or direct action if it comes to that. This plant will never run again NRC. I can guarantee you that.

Initially they said there was only a few pipes looking bad. Then it was 1% of 39,000 pipes, which is 390 pipes. Now that number has grown to 1,300 pipes and still checking.

Now for the 50 million dollar question. Dear Edison Electric.....exactly how many pipe failures does it take for a meltdown or other accidental release to occur.

I have a feeling we will never get an honest answer to that question.

SHUT THEM DOWN !!!!!

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Off to the hills on assignment for a couple of days.

Dear ATSers. In case I havent said this for awhile.......YOUZE GUYZ ROCK.

Keep it up.

z

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zworld

"black = burnt U and Pu "

That remind's me,, when the very FIRST, live helicopter images were being broadcast,,taken,,

there were "black",,, shrub sized spots,,everywhere,,

i assumed they were just that,,,,shrub's,,,greenery,,etc,,,

maybe not.

Me.

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Unit 1 Parameters...

reply to post by zworld

Today:
www.tepco.co.jp...

04/10/12:
www.tepco.co.jp...

03/19/12:
www.tepco.co.jp...

Sure looks stable!!

- Purple Chive

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

AC where'd you get the Durham graph?

Had rain yesterday again:
www.epa.gov...

- Purple Chive

edit on 10-5-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Kinda funny. WRAL-TV in Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, March 16th, 2011 predicted that Tokyo would get hit with radiation...
www.wral.com...#/vid9275149

- Purple Chive
edit on 10-5-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
ok this is getting very close,,

Magnitude: 4.7
Mercalli scale: 4
Date-Time [UTC]: Thursday, 10th May 2012 at 08:34 AM
Local Date/Time: Thursday, May 10, 2012 at 17:34 in the afternoon at epicenter
Coordinate: 36° 46.200, 141° 9.000
Depth: 35 km (21.75 miles)
Hypocentrum: Shallow depth
Class: Light
Region: Asia

Fucshima felt that for sure.

Me.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

WTF?

All Fukushima municipal primary schools to hold outdoor sports festivals

Some of the schools will take measures to avoid possible radiation contamination to the students by shortening the time schedule for the meet or canceling games that could force children to touch the ground, such as tug of war, the education board said.

mainichi.jp...

My head just spins...

- Purple Chive

top topics

<< 1255  1256  1257    1259  1260  1261 >>

join