It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 125.htm
<< 122  123  124    126  127  128 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Somebody just posted this on the Reuters site.

live.reuters.com...

I am currently on a Japanese bullet train going from Tokyo to Osaka and there are sprayers constantly hosing the train down. Does anyone know if this is an attempt to try to wash any radiation from the train?

Edit - People on reuters are saying yes.
edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
was it posted before?

Situation Update No. 34
On 16.03.2011 at 03:29 GMT+2

The operator of Japan's stricken Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant says a fire has broken out again at its No. 4 reactor unit. Tokyo Electric Power Co. spokesman Hajimi Motujuku says the blaze erupted early Wednesday in the outer housing of the reactor's containment vessel. Fire fighters are trying to put out the flames. Japan's nuclear safety agency also confirmed the fire, whose cause was not immediately known. On Tuesday, a fire broke out in the reactor's fuel storage pond – an area where used nuclear fuel is kept cool – causing radioactivity to be released into the atmosphere. Reuters reported that two workers are missing inside the plant, and a Japanese official said that there was a crack in the roof of the No. 4 reactor. Officials are struggling to address the failure of safety systems at several of the plant's reactors after Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami.
Situation Update No. 35
On 16.03.2011 at 03:51 GMT+2

Fires broke out at the Fukushima Daiichi plant's No. 4 reactor in Japan on Tuesday, according to the Tokyo Electric Power Company. The first fire caused a leak of concentrated radioactive material, according to the Japanese prime minister, Naoto Kan. The first fire broke out at 9:40 a.m. local time on Tuesday, and was thought to have been put out, but another fire was discovered early on Wednesday, believed to have started because the earlier one had not been fully extinguished. In a televised statement, the prime minister told residents near the plant that "I sincerely ask all citizens within the 20 km distance from the reactor to leave this zone." He went on to say that "[t]he radiation level has risen substantially. The risk that radiation will leak from now on has risen." Kan warned residents to remain indoors and to shut windows and doors to avoid radiation poisoning. The French Embassy in Japan reports that the radiation will reach Tokyo in 10 hours, with current wind speeds.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
NHK is showing helicopters taking off with water being carried under them at the moment

www.ustream.tv...

They are saying the helicopters will measure the amount of radiation first.

From BBC www.bbc.co.uk...

0806: Japan's NHK TV reports that a helicopter that is to drop water over Reactor Three will pass over the reactor many times. It says the helicopter can't stay too long over the plant because of the risk of radiation to the crew. Images of the helicopter show it scooping water from the sea into a red container similar to those used in fire-fighting operations around the world.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
forum.justflight.com...

A good diagram on page 2 and some interesting links and info.

also

More information on Reactor 4. The reactor was under routine maintenance at the time of the quake/tsunami: 780 fuel rods are in a storage tank next to the reactor vessel in steel racks. The pool temperature is currently 84C - they are going to spray in water through an opening in the containment building or via helicopter today/tomorrow. The roof of No 4 containment building has been damaged in a separate fire.

For Reactor No 2, the fuel rods were left totally uncovered for 6 hours last night , and are now half covered.

also

www.ustream.tv...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

An official from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said in December 2008 that safety rules were out of date and strong

earthquakes would pose a "serious problem" for nuclear power stations.

The Japanese government pledged to upgrade safety at all of its nuclear plants, but will now face inevitable questions over whether it did enough.

While it responded to the warnings by building an emergency response centre at the Fukushima plant, it was only designed to withstand magnitude 7.0 tremors. Friday's devastating earthquake was a magnitude 9.0 shock.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Officials in the Japanese capital say radiation levels have reached ten times the normal but there is no threat to human health.

They say it is still minimal as of Wednesday

Levels dropped to minimal on Wednesday, but nerves were tested by a 6.0 earthquake that shook buildings.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Someone just posted this article on Reuters. I believe this warning actually came out yesterday.

Nuclear emergency warning issued for 10 airspace regions

Concern over a possible radioactive hazard from Japan's damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant has prompted a formal warning from airspace monitors.

London Volcanic Ash Advisory Centre has issued a nuclear emergency message covering 10 flight information regions.

Among them are airspace zones in China, Korea, Russia and the USA.

The emergency message is timed at 03:00UTC on 15 March, and is open-ended

It identifies the affected flight information regions as Fukuoka - the extensive region which encompasses Japanese airspace - plus Manila, Taibei, Shanghai, Incheon, Pyongyang, Vladivostok, Khabarovsk, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Anchorage.

This is the first Ive heard of this warning.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Great info
I think EVERYBODY missed that the first time around. Not sure what to make of it exactly.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Via Reuters-

live.reuters.com...

TEPCO says it is still unable to resume work on cooling the reactors due to radiation risk

Im not sure if this includes the helicopters dropping water.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

[3:07 a.m. ET Wednesday, 4:07 p.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] As a safety precaution, the Japanese government is now telling people living within a 10-kilometer radius of the Daini plant, the second nuclear power plant in Fukushima, to evacuate.

The Daini plant, which has four reactors, has reported fluctuating temperatures at its suppression pools. The Daini plant's reactors have been stopped, and there has been no radioactivity leakage so far.

Basically ``everything is safe``... but get the hell out? Yeah.....

Also... the guy who predicted correctly the 1989 quake is now predicting a big quake off California around March 19-26... something we definitely don't need.

Hopefully he's wrong, or all hell will break loose... even more.
edit on 16-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Bankers flee from Japan and private jet prices skyrocket - BBC

www.bbc.co.uk...

0827: Following that item on the demand for private jets, Reuters is also running a story on the flight of foreign bankers from Tokyo. This despite a denial from the Tokyo-based International Bankers Association that any exodus was under way.

0816: Prices for private jets have leapt up as thousands of people trying to get out of Japan put in orders, Reuters reports. "I got a request yesterday to fly 14 people from Tokyo to Hong Kong, 5 hour 5 minutes trip. They did not care about price," Reuters quotes Jackie Wu of Hong Kong Jet as saying.

Add this to the flight confusion to-

Foreign firms are evacuating staff in Japan, after fears of radiation leaks at the Fukushima Daiichi plant escalated further.

SAP said it will evacuate offices in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya.

Companies are moving to ensure the safety of their staff after an explosion and fire broke out yesterday at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, about 220km north of the capital.

Dozens of flights to Japan have been halted or rerouted.

Deutsche Lufthansa said it was diverting flights away from Tokyo to Osaka and Nagoya.

Air China cancelled flights to the Japanese capital from Beijing and Shanghai

www.bbc.co.uk...

The article says some companies are moving people south and others are "business as usual."

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
-Radiation has been leaking from the Japanese Reactors from day one.

-Has Radiation been leaking from the Reactors? YES.

-So basically before the Quake the Nuclear Reactors were fine, after the quake they are leaking Radiation.

-There is no middle ground, either the Radiation is contained or it is leaking into the atmosphere...

-Have the Japanese been truthful about what exactly is happening at their broken Nuclear Plants? NO

-It's just like cheating on a test or stealing, there is no just a little bit, it's either or.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Brainiac

Basically it's all junk really. A world of Junk... You have liars that lie about not lieing... No Government Offical will ever tell you the exact truth, that's politics tweak and change, reduce and dull down... You will never hear the truth, and when the truth can't be covered up who's gonna be first on the plane miles away from the problem, the guy who told you all along not to panic, not to worry...

edit on 3/16/2011 by Brainiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mianeye
New satelit photo's of fukushima nuclear plant.

Source: www.digitalglobe.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

What i dont understand is reactor 3 was out of use, and was used now to store spent rods in.
I know now that was an MOX installation(experts say this is plutonium based), If the MOX goes boom that that would mean Chernobyl on steroids. Well they showed the blueprint reactor3. The spent rods sit directly on top of the reactor container. We all saw the difference in explosion, and that some kind of box fell out of the dust cloud.
That were the protective casings of the spent fuel rods, means that all the rods were spewed in the air.?? Maxing casualties?

edit on 16-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Number 3 was a MOX reactor and was up and running at the time .Your thinking of number four. That was the one with the stored rods.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
So CNN ask's the Japanese Spokesman, "Would you consider the situation at the Nuclear Plants Out of control"?

Japanese Spokesman "Well I wouldn't say it's out of control".

CNN "Well, it's not exactly under control right"?

Japanese Spokesman "Uh Uh Uh Well Uh Uh".

S*&#...

You see. Let ME ask the questions.

Me "Can you stop the Nuclear Plant from leaking radiation right now"?

NO? Then the Situation is OUT OF CONTROL...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
TEPCO posted a press-release about reactor #4

Press Release (Mar 16,2011) Fire occurrence at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 4 (2nd Release) At approximately 5:45 am, a TEPCO employee discovered a fire at the northwest corner of the Nuclear Reactor Building while transporting a battery to the central control room of Unit 4 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. TEPCO immediately reported this incident to the fire department and the local government. In addition, TEPCO also contacted related parties about this incident and began immediate preparations to extinguish the fire. (previously announced) However, during an inspection at approximately 6:15 am, TEPCO staff found no signs of fire. The area will be kept under strict surveillance.

Today is the second day since reactor #2 exploded and there's still no official press-release mentioning it, but they mention everything before and after that explosion. It scares me the most.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
What i dont understand is reactor 3 was out of use, and was used now to store spent rods in.
I know now that was an MOX installation(experts say this is plutonium based), If the MOX goes boom that that would mean Chernobyl on steroids. Well they showed the blueprint reactor3. The spent rods sit directly on top of the reactor container. We all saw the difference in explosion, and that some kind of box fell out of the dust cloud.
That were the protective casings of the spent fuel rods, means that all the rods were spewed in the air.?? Maxing casualties?

(4:25min)

edit on 16-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat
TEPCO posted a press-release about reactor #4

Press Release (Mar 16,2011) Fire occurrence at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station Unit 4 (2nd Release) At approximately 5:45 am, a TEPCO employee discovered a fire at the northwest corner of the Nuclear Reactor Building while transporting a battery to the central control room of Unit 4 of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. TEPCO immediately reported this incident to the fire department and the local government. In addition, TEPCO also contacted related parties about this incident and began immediate preparations to extinguish the fire. (previously announced) However, during an inspection at approximately 6:15 am, TEPCO staff found no signs of fire. The area will be kept under strict surveillance.

Today is the second day since reactor #2 exploded and there's still no official press-release mentioning it, but they mention everything before and after that explosion. It scares me the most.

Yesterday I was sure #2 was in full melt down. I am almost positive , from everything they have said yesterday and on sunday that the control rods have melted and are on the bottom of inner containment vessel. What I am no longer sure of is if they are still in a full reaction state and are melting the outer containment .

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Japanses Emperor on Cnn about nuclear problems... There is a little bit of a problem...
I can't remember his exact words to that respect. But I almost fell out of my seat.

Oh and here is another one... If folks stayed in the evacuation zone, they would not get hurt by radioactivity.
edit on 16-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 122  123  124    126  127  128 >>

join