Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1242
<< 1239  1240  1241    1243  1244  1245 >>

join

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Announcement

Regarding the temporary stop and restart of the nitrogen injection system of Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station April 7, 2012 Tokyo Electric Power Company

-At around 5:00 pm today, April 7, a TEPCO employee found the volume of the nitrogen injection to Unit 1-3 decreased to zero (m3/h) while he was checking plant parameters.

-Therefore, we checked the equipment on site and found the nitrogen injection system (Nitrogen/Gas Separator A) was stopped at 4:43 pm due to a "compressor failure" alert.

-After that, at 5:43 pm, using the stand-by nitrogen supply system (Nitrogen/Gas Separator B), we restarted the nitrogen injection to the each unit at 5:56 pm.

-At 6:28 pm, we confirmed the volume of the nitrogen injection was the same as before the system stopped and stabilized.

-No significant changes of the parameters related to the PCVs, the density of hydrogen, or the monitoring-post data were confirmed. -We will investigate the cause of this trouble.

Source: www.tepco.co.jp...
edit on 7-4-2012 by Human0815 because: Headline

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silverlok

Originally posted by Human0815
...(snip)...10 Days after the Crisis began
and was based and estimated on the most horrible scenario Data from the Americans
and not on the facts!
edit on 6-4-2012 by Human0815 because: spell

Please explain what the "most horrible scenario data from the Americans" is and what " the facts" are or were as you see them.

from the evidence standpoint Tepco and the Japanese government have Exceeded by HUGE margins even the worst case scenarios proposed by almost anyone in every area, period.

and the facts point to DOOM for real for Honshu, deny that , tell me that in five years no one will notice the effects of FUKU.

I mean it's not as if Japan has shut down ALL of it's 50+ reactors...oh wait yes it has.

why do you figure such a corrupt government/banking conglomerate would do that ?

I think about the Confusion in the first days after 03/11:

Records Show Confusion in U.S. at Start of Japan’s Atomic Crisis

Something resembling a “fog of war” prevailed at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s headquarters in the first hours and days after the Fukushima accident began last March, the N.R.C.’s chairman said Tuesday, as the agency released a cache of transcripts of internal conference calls beginning hours after the earthquake.

www.nytimes.com...

Please research the NRC Releases,
they estimated the lost of all 3 Containments and explosions/ Fire in the Fuel Pools
which do not happened in Reality!

It will be no Doom for Honshu or Japan in general,
when we are lucky and it stay like at the moment the "Doom" will be located
in the Hot Zone but not behind!
edit on 7-4-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

USA Mainstream Media...

Brought to my attention via Enenews.com

Surprised about a 16 minute segment on Fuku and the N-industry...

The mention of 2 feet verses 33 feet expected in Unit 2. A shame that Rachel Maddow didn't mention that 9 tons of water are being injected into Unit 2 per hour. That really puts the whole situation into perspective.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.tepco.co.jp...

Gonna have to gag down puke when voting this November.

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

I do not know how many cm. are covered by 9 Cubic Meter of Water but i really doubt
that it is enough for 60Cm. or even 10Cm., also do not forget the Wet-Well which is filled!

Scary that no one is mentioned the Stop of the Nitrogen Injections,
this could be the final Nail and should be not happen!
edit on 8-4-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by thorfourwinds

Hello. Long time lookie-loo and just joined to vent my frustration.This information scares the heck out of me being a single free woman in the mountains and now wondering what is really going on with our government.

I thought previously that me and mine were safe here and then I read your information.

Thank you. Why is this information not front page news anywhere? The local paper never mentioned it as I recall, except maybe the first day. I cannot believe that a government as inept as Obummer and friends could keep something as killer as this a secret for very long.

Unless of course everyone is in on it except me and now what as it appears that nobody in my small town evidently has a clue to what is going on because no one that I asked thought the nuclear plant meltdown was still happening and that was after I told them that we still have a problem even though the ocean separates us from Japan and food in fields is probably radioactive and no one is telling the truth in the media.

What about the stuff floating on the ocean coming this way? Is it radioactive? I saw on TV the Navy shooting at a boat from Japan and the reporter never said it was radioactive.

So who is really right here? I think it was CNN.

Waiting for answers in the mountains.

Bless all.

rreddrobin

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rreddrobin

Hello. Long time lookie-loo and just joined to vent my frustration.This information scares the heck out of me being a single free woman in the mountains and now wondering what is really going on with our government.

I thought previously that me and mine were safe here and then I read your information.

Thank you. Why is this information not front page news anywhere? The local paper never mentioned it as I recall, except maybe the first day. I cannot believe that a government as inept as Obummer and friends could keep something as killer as this a secret for very long.

Unless of course everyone is in on it except me and now what as it appears that nobody in my small town evidently has a clue to what is going on because no one that I asked thought the nuclear plant meltdown was still happening and that was after I told them that we still have a problem even though the ocean separates us from Japan and food in fields is probably radioactive and no one is telling the truth in the media.

What about the stuff floating on the ocean coming this way? Is it radioactive? I saw on TV the Navy shooting at a boat from Japan and the reporter never said it was radioactive.

So who is really right here? I think it was CNN.

Waiting for answers in the mountains.

Bless all.

rreddrobin

First, welcome!!

No, none of us are "safe" from this, far from it. Think about the debris field from the tsunami. As it traveled east, rain from clouds that were highly contaminated, has poured all over the debris for a year or so. How much radiation was absorbed? Damn good question.

Now, look at the patterns of wind and rain that has been posted over and over on this thread, and see how much radiation your area has received.

Here in the NC mountains, my Geiger counter goes above background radiation now fairly often during rain storms, it didn't at first.

The reason it's not all over the news, is the government has asked them to stop reporting on it. "Nothing we can do about it, so just move along people, nothing to see here"..

If we knew even 1/4 of what the truth was, there wouldn't be a nuke plant on the planet without people protesting outside to shut it down.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There seems to be a world-wide misconception about the fuel in #4 fuel pool, and the CSFP. All the news is reporting 1535 fuel rods in the #4 fuel pool, when it's really 1535 spent fuel assemblies. My numbers tell me there are 91 to 96 fuel rods in each mark 1 fuel assembly depending on who made them. That would mean around 140,000 fuel rods in the #4 fuel pool, and about 600,000 across the road at the CSFP, where they claim it's 6375. Please correct me if my info is wrong.
A great report from MsMilky.

And a great screen cap showing our FBB and the tank farm around it.

I noticed nobody chimed in on the plume model showing Tsuruga/Monju spewing? Does that mean everybodies stumped?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
"The process of neutron embrittlement has been conclusively shown to be irreversible. No material yet devised is immune to this phenomenon. At Argonne National Laboratories, the most advanced ceramic "glassine" encapsulation materials have been shown to lose their viability as containment barriers in much less than 1,000 years, in the presence of the kind of heavy ion nuclear waste materials stored at sites".

"The results of the studies funded by the DOE related to this phenomenon have not been released to the general public."

Richard Schamp, president of Nuclear Remediation Technology.

Criminal Action Number One: Withholding Publicly Funded and Extremely Important Research Data.

The above shows that they are working on ways of containing the spent fuel and other wastes, and the very best they can do today is in the hundreds of years range for things that radiate for thousands of years. There is no way to permanently contain the spent rods. At the same time the zirconium casings are deteriorating rapidly into a reflective and brittle material, and there is no way to stop this process.

Just the fact that we paid for this data and they won't give it to us is bad enough. Civil charges should be pending.

However, this data is the exact kind of information needed to make a responsible and informed decision about allowing the nuclear industry to continue. If Americans knew we were creating millions of unstable weapons of mass destruction in the form of spent fuel rods with no way to securely store them, putting all future generations at great danger and grave risk, they would shut the nuclear industry down. At that point, this act of withholding data becomes criminal.

-------------------------------

Chapter 14
What You See Is Not What You Get

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I'm sure alot of people felt like Alice in those early days after going down the Fukushima wormhole. You looked at videos of utter chaos and destruction to three nuclear reactors and four SFPs and everyone in a position to do something, or say something important and informative about potential health effects, was downplaying the situation, belittling our concerns.

And if you said they were idiots, then you were an instigator. Troublemaker. Anti-nuclear propagandist. Just suggesting that the #e was hitting the fan was enough to get you flamed.

God bless you for being an instigator and anti-nuclear propagandist. The world needs 6 billion more just like you.

The truth of the matter is that there may have been people just stirring the pot, there usually is, but there were many more who knew the situation was more dire than being presented and that it needed their utmost attention. At the same time they were getting fed epic proportions of pro-nuclear propaganda by authorities and nuclear representatives non stop. This is especially true from the 15th on.

In fact, very little of the hard data provided to us by Tepco, NISA, MEXT ect from this point forward, except photos which don't lie, and radiation trends, will be incorporated in upcoming chapters. I'll leave the pointless task of unraveling the insanity called a press release from (fill in the blank) to the Physics Forum and other pro-nukie sites that specialize in making sense out of the senseless.

The following is the only official photo of March 15th released at the time by Tepco. There are a number of photos that Tepco released later that have an EXIF date of March 15th, but it is believed the timestamp is wrong, or altered. Either or wouldn't surprise me.

In the above photo I've highlighted three points. The point on the right shows the dark grey smoke coming from below the service floor and out the NW corner. The two on the left show that conditions changed at R4 over the next 24 hours. The overflight shots the next day show black molten material coming out the north wall, not the white and yellow whatever coming out in this photo. And the top beam of the south wall still appears to be connected to the east wall in this photo, unlike the next day.

Compare this to the photo below which was taken on the 21st, but reflects the same conditions as seen on the 16th to R4's roof beams. This photo was taken from a position only slightly higher and to the right of the above photo and shows the middle beam sagging and south beam disconnected.

From the photo record of the 15th, which isn't much, we can deduce the following. The photo of R4's fire in Chapter 13 seems to show the south wall gone but the roof beam intact. This is also seen in the following pictures or screen captures from the 15th. The first is an SDF flyover and the second was taken independently late afternoon on the 15th. Both slipped into mainstream Japanese TV briefly before disappearing into the vault of lost Dai-ichi data a few days later.

The first picture was taken early morning. If this is indeed the 15th, it had to be very early morning after the R4 explosion but before the fire broke out. Note that the only smoke or steam coming from any reactor building is coming from the lower section of R4's north wall. Also note that the roof is not as destroyed as it will be in 24 hrs.

SDF flyover

Photo 2 below is late afternoon on the 15th. In this photo the south wall is gone, and the beam doesn't appear attached to the east wall, though it also doesn't appear as damaged as later on. More importantly, the southern half of the east wall is still intact.

Now compare the above photo with this one from the next day, with only roof beams left, the south top beam melted and the southern part of the east wall now gone.

Judging from all of the above it is safe to assume that there was a series of events that occurred over a 36 hour period at R4 that produced the final condition seen above. Which is something that Tepco and the SDF don't want you to know because then R4 can't be explained away as a single hydrogen explosion.

I believe that there was more damage to R4 than Tepco admitted the morning of the 15th. They tried to downplay it, make it seem small, but as the day wore on conditions deteriorated. It is possible there were repeated explosions or expulsions during the 15th and early morning hours on the 16th. In the end Tepco threw up their hands and said whatever the SDF wanted them to say.

The same was occurring at R3, but at different times, and a possible scenario will be presented in the next chapter.

Holy Plutonium Batman, How'd That Happen

Going back to the original March 15th Tepco photograph of the R4 north wall, when this photo hit the airwaves, nuki insiders were more or less floored. It threw so many unanswerable questions at them at a time when they were trying to explain Fukushima away, that they were left speechless. An example is the reaction seen at WANO, INPO's cousin.

WANO, stands for the World Association of Nuclear Operators, which was started after Chernobyl to do what INPO was doing, but on an international scale. There's a funny relationship between the two. INPO is the big dog, but WANO wants to be in that position. Alot of games are played between the two and I don't think they like each other. Kinda like how the US views the UN.

Irrespective, as INPO was given data, it was then relayed to WANO. WANO then distributed this to it's members. After Tepco released the above photograph, the following picture was sent out in a memo to WANO members.

Question marks and exclamation points. These people knew where the SFP and reactor were located in these buildings. In fact, many members of WANO are intimately familiar with Dai-ichi. They also knew what a zirc fire would do. And they had a good idea of what a hydrogen blast would do, and none of it fit. This was the reaction to people inside the crisis and inside the industry. There was no way to explain R4 from the very beginning.

I need to point out that in the above memo, I believe when they refer to the concrete part of the reactor building, they are talking about anything that is below the service floor and that is outside containment as well. In the older BWRs, like R1, it was common to have a metal roof and walls for the service area, and the concrete structure was below this as seen in the diagram below. (It should be noted that R4 is not the same design as the diagram below as it had concrete walls for the service floor).

R4 shouldn't have happened. To have had an explosion with no known fuel in play raised serious questions. To have ended up in the state it was in, and in stages over time, defies logic.

Slipping Into Darkness

I think that is why the press releases out of the US and Japan on the 16th depressed me and made me feel like saying 'to hell with it'. The events unfolding were too important to the human race at large to treat lightly, and brush aside with a declaration of "no chance of potential health effects". We were desperately in need of leaders, people with awareness of the dangers at hand and a vision of what to do.

What we got from most of the world's leaders was a unified diatribe, a a mantra on cue, individual soundbites claiming safety and experts and situational knowledge and everything's cool. Perfect for the 6 oclock news.

At no time did any of the main networks ask pertinent questions. You know, like how da fug dat happen. For instance, the knowledge that a zirc fire doesn't go out is well known. After Jaczko made the error of going on point for the zirc fire occurring and then going out 2 hours later, it was commented on in numerous blogs and forums that a zirc fire was self perpetuating, and shouldn't have put itself out.

Isn't that the simple to get data that any investigative, or even interested, journalist can find.

And on the 16th, after the second fire came and went, and both it and the one before were now said to be oil fires, no one in the media asked how an oil fire that melted steel could come and go in the twinkling of an eye....twice. Two identical fires in the exact same spot reached 2000 C for two hours and then put themselves out. Oil tanks that successfully survived the intense heat and pressures of the original explosion that flattened everything from the 3rd floor up, self erupted twice over 24 hrs. And put themselves out. Both times.

And what was the driver again? Ignition source?

Concerning the first fire, it was first spotted at 9:38 and Tepco described it as; "Fire is found to have broken out in the vicinity of the 3rd floor northwest corner of the Unit 4 reactor building, government and other authorities notified at 9:56."

This is possibly the smoke we see in the SDF picture above, which appears to be coming from the lower floors. Since the shadows being cast in that pic for that time of year would put the sun at roughly 9:00, this smoke is probably a precursor to the fire that would be spotted at 9:38.

I think that in the confusion that surrounded the 15th, in the beginning Tepco honestly believed that the fire was a zirc fire. At least until they saw where it was coming from. This was the first reason stated for the fire to METI and MEXT 18 minutes after it was first spotted.

The NRC didn't actually believe that there had been a zirc fire as soon as they heard that the fire put itself out. But it still got fed to Jaczko and made him look like an idiot for going international with the news.

I have to wonder why it took Tepco 18 minutes to notify the authorities if they indeed thought they had a zirc fire open to the environment, which is every bodies worst nightmare. Wouldn't that be something that you would hope someone would pick up the phone instantly and warn at least the emergency center set up by the local authorities so people living in the area outside the evac zone could hunker down inside.

The fire that burnt that day burnt very hot. So hot that the north panels melted in as can be seen in the photo above.

This is reflected in models of Fukushima that changed over time (R1 to R3 to R4 melted to R4 blown apart) from the main media source, the NHK. On the evening of the 15th, the following model, the third version in the series, shows the northern section of R4 melted more than blown apart. This was the story line put out by Tepco a few hours previously, the damage report specifying northside only damage.

The next night the NHK reacted to the news of conditions seen on the 16th and created version four with R4 looking similar to R3.

There's one more issue occurring during this time that needs to be added to the stew, and that's the radiation readings around R4, which will be covered in detail soon in the chapter on SPEEDI and other radiation monitoring operations. They were so high, Jaczko and the rest of the NRC believed that something like a zirc/uranium/plutonium fire had to be happening at R4 for it to be shining as high as it was, with firemen and workers unable to approach it.

Other details concerning the 14th and 15th will also be brought up in the rest of part 1, as we jump around between the eight days of hell from the 14th to 21st.

Next: Chapter 15) Dante and Dai-ichi Both Begin with the Letter D......Coincidence?......I Think NOT!
edit on 8-4-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
In this pic the FBB looks like it has more damage to the SW corner.

January 9th, new switchyard station being built. Is that the FBB behind it?

cryptome.org...

And Goddards latest on the #3 fuel pool.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Hey all- finally back in the real world for a while. I've been off doing odd things OCONUS in hot places without local internet (ATS can't be accessed from gov't servers).

Been doing a lot of catch-up and that last video posted by aircooled really caught my attention. I utterly and totally disagreed with the SFR Pool explosion theory in R3 from the day that theory first came out. The blast pattern simply did not fit a non-directional uncontained event.

The R3 blast was highly directional,similar to a shotgun being fired, with debris and ejecta traveling straight up. There was VERY little damage to R2 and R4 from this blast as well, other than a bit of pressure wave effects and some minor debris punctures.

I had also mentioned that if the SFR Pool went high order then it would be empty (We only had IR pics to work off of at the time- no entry had been made) and it seems that video feeds from inside R3 show the SFR Pool to be filled with spent fuel rods covered with debris.

While I have not read every single page that I missed over the past 6 months has anyone found any additional evidence of catastrophic failure of the R3 RPV? I'd just like to know if my initial analysis still holds water.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Japan gives preliminary OK to restart 2 reactors

Japan's economy minister said Monday two nuclear reactors tentatively met government safety standards even though completing improvements will take several years, paving the way for final approval for their startup soon.
----
The government issued new safety guidelines last Friday to address residents' worries. In response, Kansai Electric Power Co. submitted its safety plans earlier Monday for two reactors at the Ohi plant in Fukui prefecture, saying the full upgrades will take up to three years.

Hours later, Economy and Industry Minister Yukio Edano said the No. 3 and 4 reactors at the Ohi plant "more or less met our safety standards."

Edano said top officials will go over the checklist one more time before making a final evaluation, then discuss a possible startup in light of electricity demands during the hot summer months. Kansai Electric said Monday that its service area, including Osaka and Kyoto, will face up to 20 percent of power shortage during the summer if the reactors stayed offline.

www.businessweek.com...

New standards for reactivating nuke reactors are too hasty and sloppy

The government should be criticized for having moved too hastily and in a sloppy manner when it set new standards for deciding whether to reactivate nuclear reactors, even though the criteria are crucial in ensuring the safety of the public.

Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda and three Cabinet ministers concerned approved the standards on April 6 with an eye to approving resumption of operations at the No. 3 and 4 reactors at the Oi Nuclear Power Plant in Fukui Prefecture, which are currently suspended for regular inspections.

The standards apply to not only the Oi reactors but also to all nuclear plants across Japan. Nevertheless, the government spent only three days on working out the standards -- from the prime minister's instruction to do so until the adoption.

The government claims that the new standards are based on knowledge and lessons learned from the crisis at the tsunami-hit Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant and were adopted earlier than initially intended, but it is hardly convincing.
The government has not yet got to the bottom of the accident, and the standards appear to contain nothing new.

mainichi.jp...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Susquehanna, PA..."Degraded Condition"..."Containmated Worker"

Event Numbers: 47812 & 47814

And Oconee,SC...event number: 47810 they appear to be having a hard time shutting down the reactor. Correct me please if I'm wrong, difficult to understand the NRC language.

www.nrc.gov...

- Purple Chive

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think we forgot this one too:

Reactor buildings will not collapse even if earthquake with the same scale as that of Tohoku - Pacific Ocean Earthquake occurs again.

At 11:04 pm on April 1, a 5.9-magnitude earthquake centered in the coast of Fukushima Prefecture occurred. Hama-dori of Fukusihma Prefecture registerd intensity 5 lower on the Japanese seismic (intensity) scale of 7.

No abnormalities were detected at facilities for water injection into the reactors, nitrogen gas injection, cooling of spent fuel pool, and the treatment of highly contaminated water at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. They all operate normally after the quake.

As for the degree of the shake of the reactor buildings, Unit 6's reactor building's foundation registered 40.7 gal in horizontal direction and 19.4 gal in vertical direction. We, TEPCO, evaluates earthquake-proof safety by developing Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion Ss as large-scale quake which would possibly occur in future. For example, the degree of shake of Unit 6's reactor building's foundation against the Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion is 448 gal in horizontal direction and 415 gal in vertical direction (, which is around 10 times large in horizontal way and around 20 times large in vertical way compared with the quake occurred on April 1, 2012).

We assess that the level of this Design Basis Earthquake Ground Motion is almost same as the one recorded for the Tohoku - Pacific Ocean Earthquake.

Based on the Motion, we simulated the damaged situation of the current reactor buildings of Unit 1 to 4, having implemented quake response analysis for the reactor buildings as well as equipments and pipes which are important in terms of safety. As a result, we confirmed that there are no negative signal, such as shear/ twist of quake-proof walls of buildings, the fact that the stress of facilities/ piping lowers the standard value, and the fact that buildings collapse and facilities/ piping lose their functions.

www.tepco.co.jp...
edit on 9-4-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Secret Nuclear Weapons Program??

Both articles courtesy of the peeps on enenews.

www.dcbureau.org... ml

How Japan ended up in this nuclear nightmare is a subject the National Security News Service has been investigating since 1991. We learned that Japan had a dual use nuclear program. The public program was to develop and provide unlimited energy for the country. But there was also a secret component, an undeclared nuclear weapons program that would allow Japan to amass enough nuclear material and technology to become a major nuclear power on short notice.

www.globalresearch.ca...

The smoke and mirrors at Fukushima 1 seem to obscure a steady purpose, an iron will and a grim task unknown to outsiders. The most logical explanation: The nuclear industry and government agencies are scrambling to prevent the discovery of atomic-bomb research facilities hidden inside Japan's civilian nuclear power plants. A secret nuclear weapons program is a ghost in the machine, detectable only when the system of information control momentarily lapses or breaks down. A close look must be taken at the gap between the official account and unexpected events.

To AC, yes I believe you are right about the spent fuel numbers. Yes I'm stumped with the other plume model.

To SFA, have fun catching up! Here's something from Arnie in Feb. Go to 5 mins in, its about unit 1 but relevant I think. fairewinds.com...

If anyones here, TBS cam right now, 6 or 7 little lights in a straight line on the R3 (turbine building?). Tilt screen back to see. Any ideas? Stumped again!!
edit on 9/4/2012 by StonedSheep because: TBS cam

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Remember how they were making cement blocks out of radioactive water? I think this guy found some.

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Note: study fulltext paywalled/subscription, but it's free at University of Southern California - www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/Publications/PDFs/Manley_Lowe_radiationdosimeterkelp.pdf

AFP - Radiation from Japan found in kelp off U.S. West Coast

www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/radiation-from-japan-found-in-kelp-off-u-s-west-coast

(...)

But marine biologists at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) discovered the radioactive isotope in ocean kelp, which is “one of the strongest plant accumulators of iodine,” within a month of the accident.

“We measured significant, although most likely non-harmful levels of radioactive iodine in tissue of the giant kelp Macrocystis pyrifera,” said Steven L Manley, author of the study with Christopher G Lowe. “Although it is probably not harmful for humans because it was relatively low levels, it may have affected certain fish that graze on the tissue because fish have a thyroid system that utilizes iodine.”

The study, “Canopy-Forming Kelps as California’s Coastal Dosimeter: 131I from Damaged Japanese Reactor Measured in Macrocystis pyrifera,” appears in the online edition of the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

(...)

Canopy-Forming Kelps as California’s Coastal Dosimeter: 131I from Damaged Japanese Reactor Measured in Macrocystis pyrifera

Steven L. Manley*† and Christopher G. Lowe†
† Department of Biological Sciences, California State University, Long Beach, California 90840 United States
Environ. Sci. Technol., 2012, 46 (7), pp 3731–3736
DOI: 10.1021/es203598r

pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es203598r

Abstract

The Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant, damaged by an earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011 released large amounts of 131I into the atmosphere, which was assimilated into canopy blades of Macrocystis pyrifera sampled from coastal California. The specific activity calculated to the estimated date of deposition/assimilation ranged from 0.6 to 2.5 Bq gdwt–1, levels greater than those measured from kelps from Japan and Canada prior to the release. These 131I levels represent a significant input into the kelp forest ecosystem. Canopy-forming kelps are a natural coastal dosimeter that can measure the exposure of the coastal environment to 131I and perhaps other radioisotopes released from nuclear accidents. An organizational mechanism should be in place to ensure that they are sampled immediately and continuously after such releases.

California State University, Long Beach

Press Release
April 4, 2012
Cal State Long Beach Faculty Measure Radioactive Fallout in
California Kelp Beds from Damaged Japanese Nuclear Reactor

urd.csulb.edu/press-release/story.cfm?hackid=1307

edit on 10-4-2012 by xecoybh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by rreddrobin

rreddrobin

Putting out fires on sinking ships

What we know about ghost ship:

- Salvageable
- Salvage was aborted
- Shot at to sink far offshore
- Catches fire then efforts made to extinguish

Why would they put a fire out on a sinking ship? Because it's radioactive. Only explanation for all the above points.

Welcome to the thread!

And fourwinds, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while reading your response, or you'd owe me a clean screen!
edit on 10/4/12 by GhostR1der because: changed format to list

posted on Apr, 10 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
More readings from Japan.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Hey Purple, no temps on #2 today? No Krypton 85? I guess the thermostates are busted again, eh?
Loved that NRC document, four winds. What a list of elements.
Z, I tripped across the film of #4 from the 15th, in case it was lost.

And I'm throwing in this March 12 film because, between the 29 and 37 second mark, I can see #2 pulsing while #1 is blowing. I thought you might find it interesting.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Here ya go AC...still rising...

No weird radioactive isotopes to report at the moment....

Originally posted by Purplechive

Unit 2: Pressure Keeps Going Up

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing?
March 26:

13.15 kPa g

March 31:

20.59 kPa g

April 2:

19.64 kPa g

April 3:

22.95 kPa g

April 4:

23.84 kPa g

24.70 kPa g

26.28kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/6 )

29.12kPa g (as of 11:00 , 4/11 )

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 11-4-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1239  1240  1241    1243  1244  1245 >>

join