It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 124.htm
<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Radiation levels at the plant have surged and dropped repeatedly over the past few days. The most recent spike "probably" occurred "because the containment vessel in reactor No. 3 has been damaged," a spokesman for Japan's nuclear safety agency later told reporters.

Edano said the smoke or vapor above the plant may have been caused by breach in the containment structure around the No. 3 reactor's containment vessel -- the steel and concrete shell that insulates radioactive material inside.

-CNN online.

So containment at both 2 and 3 has been compromised? wow.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I made a Post many pages back about the Spent fuel rods.. some of you may not have seen it..I feel it is very important info regarding the problems ..since not everyone saw it and this page moves so fast I started a thread about it if you want to take a look

www.abovetopsecret.com

Not trolling for stars just think this info needs to get out
edit on 16-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: edit

edit on 16-3-2011 by okiecowboy because: edit

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I couldn't believe this when I read it.

6.05pm Indonesia has confirmed it plans to go ahead with plans to build four nuclear reactors near a volatile fault line, despite the ongoing crisis in Japan, insisting theirs will be safe.
www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Nuclear plant operator says situation at Daiichi No.4 reactor is not really so good by linda.noakes at 2:17 AM

Nuclear plant operator says Daiichi Reactor No.2 temperatures have stabilised by Reuters_TonyTharakan at 2:07 AM

Nuclear plant operator says pressure in Daiichi reactor No. 2 container vessel and nuclear core has fallen

live.reuters.com...

those last 2 seem conflicting to me
edit on 16-3-2011 by Dyzan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Nuclear plant operator says Daiichi No.4 reactor is not really so good.

live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

You linked to the wrong post

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

[3:07 a.m. ET Wednesday, 4:07 p.m. Wednesday in Tokyo] As a safety precaution, the Japanese government is now telling people living within a 10-kilometer radius of the Daini plant, the second nuclear power plant in Fukushima, to evacuate. The Daini plant, which has four reactors, has reported fluctuating temperatures at its suppression pools. The Daini plant's reactors have been stopped, and there has been no radioactivity leakage so far.

CNN

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dyzan

The pressure going down is a good thing. It was too high.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Radiation Levels 6,600 Times Normal 20km Away from Fukushima N-Plant

Tokyo, March 16 (Jiji Press)--Radiation levels about 6,600 times normal were detected on Tuesday at a place 20 kilometers away from a nuclear power plant at the center of Japan's nuclear crisis, the science ministry said Wednesday.
Radiation levels reached 195 to 330 microsieverts per hour in the Fukushima Prefecture town of Namie in radiation monitoring activities for about 10 minutes from 8:40 p.m. Tuesday (11:40 a.m. GMT), the ministry said.
The town is about 20 kilometers away from the earthquake-hit Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant of Tokyo Electric Power Co. , the ministry said.
On Tuesday, the government advised residents within 30 kilometers from the nuclear plant to stay indoors.
The ministry reported the results of its radiation monitoring activities to the government's disaster management task force.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by premierepastimes

okay, thanks for clarifying that for me, i think i've been awake to long, i misread it.i thought it had said that the core had fallen, not the pressure.Probably time for sleep. Hopefully all hell won't break lose while i slumber

edit on 16-3-2011 by Dyzan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
3:25 AM EDT - Nuclear plant operator says possible that No.2 reactor is being cooled but pressure reader may be faulty

3:26 AM EDT - A military helicopter carried water to pour on the No.3 reactor, NHK says, showing footage of the helicopter taking off with a red container dangling beneath

3:29 AM EDT - Nuclear plant operator says inner container vessel at No.2 reactor may be open or it may be cooling

3:31 AM EDT - Cesium, iodine found in tapwater in Fukushima, no impact on health - Kyodo

3:33 AM EDT - Japanese Emperor says he's deeply worried about the situation

3:39 AM EDT - Nuclear plant operator says No.3 reactor has the highest radiation of all reactors at Daiichi plant

-Reuters

Sleep time for me. See you all later today.
edit on 3/16/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks
I think I fixed it now

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
3:29 AM EDT - Nuclear plant operator says inner container vessel at No.2 reactor may be open or it may be cooling

Whaaa? ... back that up .. "may be open"? or "may be cooling"?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yes.... May be open or may be cooling... THAT is THE question...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
There are so many conflicting reports that this is making my head spin BIG_TIME.

Edit: The fact that we can't get accurate reporting from the get go, is a potential life and death situation IMO!
edit on 16-3-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'm guessing some people have seen these videos, but if you haven't, they are a real eye-opener. Highest respect for those people still trying to keep things under control at Fukushima.

www.youtube.com...

FYI: 1500 Roentgen (as discussed in the video) is approx 15 Sieverts (15,000 milliSieverts)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
From Reuters -

live.reuters.com...

Nuclear plant operator says No.3 reactor has the highest radiation of all reactors at Daiichi plant

Edit - This is the one with MOX right?
edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Don't know if it was already posted. But that's fukushima today...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
This is the first time I've ever seen a press-release show-up on Tepco's English page before the equivelant Japanese page ...

Looks like it's talking about (much) earlier today ...
Transfer of Fukushima Dai-ichi Power Station Workers (Mar 16,2011)

At approximately 6:00 today, an abnormal noise began emanating from nearby
the pressure suppression chamber of Fukushima Dai-ichi Power Station.
Given that the pressure within this chamber had decreased, it was believed
that this was an indication that an abnormality had arisen. From this
point on, while water injection operations are still underway, the
temporary transfer to a safe place of TEPCO employees and workers from
other companies not directly involved with this work has begun. Currently,
at Fukushima Dai-ichi Power Station, the remaining workers are doing their
best to secure the safety and security of the site.

The parameters for Unit 2's nuclear containment vessel and the containment
vessel show no significant change.

We are aware of and sincerely apologize for the great distress and
inconvenience this incident has caused to not just those inhabitants
residing in the immediate vicinity but also society at large.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Australia upgrades its travel warning for Japan, with Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd urging its citizens with non-essential roles in Japan to consider leaving Tokyo and the eight prefectures most damaged by the country's earthquake and tsunami.
by linda.noakes at 2:52 AM

live.reuters.com...

top topics

<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join