It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 123.htm
<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VinceH

If it was breached to a point where they could pour water in from a helo, the water would be worse than doing nothing.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I think this is the picture...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Maybe this is what they will have in the water to drop on it?

2.43pm South Korea plans to send an emergency shipment of cooling material to Japan to help control its quake-damaged nuclear reactors. Tokyo has asked for 52 tonnes of boron, a key material used for regulating nuclear chain reactions, as it is running short of the metalloid to cool the overheated Fukushima reactors, Seoul said. "We've sent boron samples. Now, we are scraping up all we got," a South Korean official said.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by scghst1
I completely agree. The only thing i can think of as to why they would pour water over it would be if they are lying and are actually pouring something much different

well they would use boron which stops fission, but they ran out and South Korea is sending them all the boron they could scrape up

South Korea to Send Boron to Stabilize Japan Reactor - CNBC

An economy ministry official said South Korea would send 52.6 tonnes of boron to Japan from its reserves of 310 metric tons.

Tokyo has requested supplies of the key material, vital for stopping fission nuclear reactions, after its own stockpile has been largely used up at the Fukushima nuclear power plant.

Boron is the main material that goes into control rods used to halt or slow down fission reactions at nuclear reactors. Japan has mixed large amounts of boron with seawater and poured them into the reactors as an emergency measure.

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Somewhat of a milestone (of sorts) people.
Since new forum was opened dedicated to the issues in Japan right now ...
... this thread is the most active (with 2,400+ posts).
... not that its a competition or anything.
... just a "hot" topic (in many ways).

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
That's what i was thinking. The rods / reactor are inside the containment, thus no water would get in. I don't get it.

The SPENT fuel rods are outside the reactor and they are still radioactive and need cooling

link   
maybe off topic: (sorry just have to say this out loud. )

I am just amazed at how resilient the Japanese people are. There isn't any looting, neighbors are helping each other out. If this happened in the the United States, there would be mass chaos, looting, national guard deployments, murder, death and mayhem. I mean look at the Katrina aftermath.

link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ah okay. I don't know why the spent rods keep skipping my mind. That makes sense.

link   
reply to post by silo13

I am sorry for getting slightly off topic yall but to SILO has Katz now realized how dangerous this is? When I was listening to him yesterday he was not very worried about the situation; he in fact said "I am not too worried"

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Yes but since the building is literally destroyed that means the steam is coming form the reactor itself, and #3 is the one with the dirty plutonium experimental MOX fuel

That's what I'm thinking too.

Originally posted by zorgon
The area stores over 600,000 spent fuel rods... someone posted the figures for #3. It means that those rods are no longer in the pool but SCATTERED AROUND as the pool was on the top floor which is now gone..

I agree with that too; MOX no less. Reminds me of the pictures of Chernobyl and the graphite control rod channels that people were sent to retrieve/clean up. Hopefully that isn't going on in Japan

Vince

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
New satelit photo's of fukushima nuclear plant.

Source: www.digitalglobe.com...

edit on 16-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2011 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
How much time does it takes for a spent nuclear rod to cool down? A month? A year? A thousand years? What?

Any idea?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

If i'm reading that right ....

Left side is #4, then #3, then #3 then #1 on the right side?

If so, it's #3 that's venting all the white steam/smoke? and shows the most evident physical damage (at the time of the pic anyway)?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
How much time does it takes for a spent nuclear rod to cool down? A month? A year? A thousand years? What?
Any idea?

The mentioned something on one of the news programs about when you pull the fuel out of the reactor and move it to the holding pool, it takes weeks to cool down? (and may sit in the pool for years before being transfered to permanent storage facility?)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Typically spent fuel is kept in the pool for 10 - 20 years before being sent for processing.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnhancedInterrogator
reply to post by Mianeye

If i'm reading that right ....

Left side is #4, then #3, then #3 then #1 on the right side?

If so, it's #3 that's venting all the white steam/smoke? and shows the most evident physical damage (at the time of the pic anyway)?

Correct.
edit on 16-3-2011 by VinceH because: quote instead of reply-to for clarity

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ah, you're totally right. The fuel pool. That has to be it; the reactor would make no sense, even if you poured straight boron powder on the thing it would do little good unless you got it inside and between the rods.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
BBC: Japan's NHK TV confirms that the evacuation order for nuclear plant workers has been lifted.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by VinceH

This page has an extremely nice flash that shows the location of all six reactors at Fukushima Daiichi ...
New York Times

PS: Let me into NYT site without a login this time. Maybe some pages are public and others subscription only?

edit on 2011-3-16 by EnhancedInterrogator because: spelling, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by VinceH
I agree with that too; MOX no less. Reminds me of the pictures of Chernobyl and the graphite control rod channels that people were sent to retrieve/clean up. Hopefully that isn't going on in Japan

Vince

Yeah and they did it by hand with a small shovel because the robot circuits fried. However that was on top of a big building and they had to shovel it off to get it to the ground. Here they can get shielded heavy equipment into the area.

BTW the containment coffin needs replacing soon...

top topics

<< 120  121  122    124  125  126 >>

join