It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 122.htm
<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by 00nunya00

Tell me about it, I don't get why they're not paying some newbie to anchor this live all night.

There is someone who's been broadcasting this LIVE and up to 18 hours a night/day - I hope you find this link helpful.

YokosoNews

peace

Katz is great, was watching this last night, thanks for the link Silo!

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Media seem to be slow to update with latest news BBC still reporting workers evacuated from Fukushima all very confusing

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
Sorry if this picture has been posted already, but it is hard to keep up with my two little boys who have the flu and the threads on here at the same time. But I saw this one and just wonder how they can say anything short of 'evacuate now'.

zorgon: I'm no expert, but perhaps the top of the reactor is visible directly below the arrow on #3? Definitely looks like a domed-vessel shaped object and the size would appear approx correct

If the spent fuel is indeed stored above the reactor as they have been saying, then it would appear that the storage area is totally destroyed on #3
To think how many precautions are taken when handling waste fuel during transport/burial and then to see a picture like this...

Assuming the truth is being told about the radiation readings, then I'm amazed that things aren't much worse. To have that amount of damage to critical systems and still have some remaining integrity is amazing. In my option, things could be much worse by now. Of course that may still happen but that it hasn't happened yet is nothing short of a miracle.

Vince

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thanks for the link silo13. I'll use this link during CNN after hours.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Oh gosh who knows..... Nothing has been surprising me... But I figured if the reactor walls are damaged, they would need firetruck ladders and cherrypickers.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Heres an update from Kyodo

Status Update

Fukushima No. 1 plant

Reactor No. 1 - Cooling failure, partial melting of core, vapor vented, building damaged Saturday by hydrogen explosion, seawater being pumped in.

Reactor No. 2 - Cooling failure, seawater being pumped in, fuel rods fully exposed temporarily, vapor vented, building damaged Monday by blast at Reactor No. 3, damage to containment vessel on Tuesday, potential meltdown feared.

Reactor No. 3 - Cooling failure, partial melting of core feared, vapor vented, seawater being pumped in, building damaged Monday by hydrogen explosion, high-level radiation measured nearby on Tuesday, plume of smoke observed Wednesday, damage to containment vessel likely.

Reactor No. 4 - Under maintenance when quake struck, fire Tuesday possibly caused by hydrogen explosion at pool holding spent fuel rods, pool water level not observed, fire observed Wednesday at building housing reactor, no water poured in to cool pool.

Reactor No. 5, No. 6 - Under maintenance when quake struck, temperature slightly rising in spent fuel pool.

Plant No. 2 - Reactors 1,2,and 4 are shutdown after cooling failure. Reactor 3 cold shutdown.

So there has been a partial meltdown in reactor 1 and a feared partial meltdown in 3 and potential meltdown in 2
edit on 16-3-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackBauer
Yeah thats a re-run of coop.

Don't you just HATE that crap?
Why can't they put-up a banner that fricken says "Recorded Earlier".
That would be just plain fricken courtesy.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Oh i know. They even left the "Live" banner up. Drives me nuts.

Anyway, an update.

NHK reporting Japan self-defense forces are preparing to pour water on Daiichi No. 3 reactor from helicopter.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
From Reuterslive.reuters.com...

NHK reporting Japan self-defense forces are preparing to pour water on Daiichi No. 3 reactor from helicopter

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

so if they can just pour water onto the reactor it is obviously exposed.....

heavy assumption

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Okay, time for Redneck to explain this:

Exactly WTF would "pouring" water over the reactor from like 50 feet in the air do for anything? We were talking about pumping water into the reactor core itself for the last few days, and that level has not been brought back to a safe level, if there's any left at all. So.......pouring water over its head? Unless I'm a total moron, that's just putting lipstick on a pig. Just for show.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

That's what i was thinking. The rods / reactor are inside the containment, thus no water would get in. I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I completely agree. The only thing i can think of as to why they would pour water over it would be if they are lying and are actually pouring something much different ( Ex. concrete, compounds they used at chernobyl..) onto a presumably cracked and open reactor. It would be like having a pot on the oven range on high for over an hour then putting a few drops of water onto it. It would evaporate.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by VinceH
zorgon: I'm no expert, but perhaps the top of the reactor is visible directly below the arrow on #3? Definitely looks like a domed-vessel shaped object and the size would appear approx correct

Yes but since the building is literally destroyed that means the steam is coming form the reactor itself, and #3 is the one with the dirty plutonium experimental MOX fuel

If the spent fuel is indeed stored above the reactor as they have been saying, then it would appear that the storage area is totally destroyed on #3
To think how many precautions are taken when handling waste fuel during transport/burial and then to see a picture like this...

The area stores over 600,000 spent fuel rods... someone posted the figures for #3. It means that those rods are no longer in the pool but SCATTERED AROUND as the pool was on the top floor which is now gone..

Assuming the truth is being told about the radiation readings,

I doubt that...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm glad you are takingadvantage of YokosoNews.

This man is Japanese and living and broadcasting from Tokyo. He's translating news briefs LIVE and not only is he a professional journalist but he's been on the air LIVE since this tragedy, sometimes 18 hours at a time. A real life Hero. He and the other translator 'Ema' are doing a fantastic job.

I really appreciate he's got a level head - is far from a sensationalist - and would never think of spreading unfounded fear, rumors and psychobabble like we've seen reported worldwide and even here on this thread.

Here’s a link where you can watch NHK and Yokoso at the same time... here

peace

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I think the rods are exposed and dumping water from above is just a measure to buy more time, even if it's not much. I think this has been on a downward spiral since day 1 and the Japanese are doing everything they can to contain it as long as possible while survivors are found and things get organized. I think we will continue to see measures like these employed even though they are only marginally effective. If a day or two can be bought through these measures then many more lives can be saved before total evacuation.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by 00nunya00 So.......pouring water over its head? Unless I'm a total moron, that's just putting lipstick on a pig. Just for show.

Pouring water into the pool of spent fuel rods still on building 4... that is all that is left that they can do, but I doubt it will work

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JackBauer

Unless, as onequestion has suggested, the reactor is breached. Remember, 3 was the spectacular explosion where "stuff" was seen flying up into the air. Could also explain why they are choosing to tackle (via air drop) 3 vs 1/2/4.

www.youtube.com...

Vince

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by scghst1

Dude, now I get it----they're pouring Barr's Radiator Stop-Leak over it! LOL! No, seriously though, that's a great point---much more likely to be something other than a bucket of water. What a lame cover story.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 18731542

Media seem to be slow to update with latest news BBC still reporting workers evacuated from Fukushima all very confusing

Not much to update if there are no workers left at the plant... and no new quakes. All they can do is watch from a distance

top topics

<< 119  120  121    123  124  125 >>

join