It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1215.htm
<< 1212  1213  1214    1216  1217  1218 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
They don't have the time to read back through hundreds of posts to gauge the thread and besides that, the object of owning the domain, is to try to remain completely objective to whatever is being posted.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Thanks for explaining things to me.

Yes, I remember the pre-Internet days of BBS software at 300 baud. I was keyboarding well before ye Internetes of today. I used Windows 3.0 on 386 pc, and helped birth this Internet of ours, here in the good ol' USA.

You are talking about domains. I was on BBS via copper telephone lines. No domains needed. Were you there? I'm saying IP was built no different than anything else, and look how it's ended up: TOTALLY PATHETIC for a frikking year while Fuku belches forth the child of these idiotic engineers. These men should be ashamed they ever even built the Gen 1 GE reactors like fuku --and we've got bunches of them tucked up our ass here in the USA as well, so we're #ed.

Not to mention they addict people to wattage. FACE IT: Your cheap awesome Christmas flatscreen REQUIRES nuclear power, to feed it's wattage requirements. HDTV is worth a nuclear meltdown to feed the power addiction. Every frikking idiot knows that, right?

Anyway, thanks matadoor, you were helping me to understand, by saying something about how owners of modern moneymaking Internet domains, have as their goal, to remain completely objective to the destruction of the human race? Is that your point? Objectivity is their goal, as a wolf latches onto the throat of humanity, and threatens to ruin the world? It's important for them to stay impartial to that?

Explain to me please, just to clear it up for me, that last part about how owners of these multi-billion dollar things called IP domain-property games and the Qaedas (means: database) underneath them which hold everything everyone types, have as their primary goal, to remain objective and silent, as Satan's Japanese anus (and 20 more GE meltdowns just like it in the future), spew irradiative death into the atmosphere? I need some clarification on your last point there.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Fuku Diary

Sorry to see Mochizuki on the Fuku Diary blog starting to get really frustrated. This whole nuclear nightmare is taking such a toll on how many others that we don't even know about. And for years and years and years to come. Horrible.

fukushima-diary.com...

- Purple Chive
edit on 18-2-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

Do you remember when one of the Japanese Minister said; "Only the weak ones will get sick"?
Many People get problems because they focussing too much on things they cant change
without giving them self time for Beauty, Love and Relationship, they become angry and poisonous!

We need to give our self time for a Healing

and a break from our daily Routine is well advised!

Yeah, Tepco, Fukushima and all the bad of this World
but there is also beauty in it- we should not forget this!

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

Wow, pass.

Some things you just can't fix.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Chap 7 quote
The head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission said getting the problems at the nuclear plant under control would take days and "possibly weeks".

Chapter Seven
Beginning of the End

The time between R1 and R3 exploding was a frustrating experience for many of us. Never having investigated nuclear issues, I had to start from scratch and learn fast. At the same time new data was coming down the pipe constantly that was making no sense whatsoever.

The depth of knowledge needed to understand nuclear issues is massive, from quantum mechanics in the here and now, to the health and well being of generations thousands of years into the future. Mind-boggling really. And it became a major stumbling block for much of the world. In the million of Fukushima threads that sprang up overnight, people were screaming for nuclear knowledge.

There were many threads that were of note, each one with a little different tact. One particular thread was extremely active and informative, entitled "Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake", from a conspiracy forum site called Above Top Secret (ATS). It was a site that I had used before for data collection, and had joined during the BP oil spill, but didn't monitor at this time. Conspiracy forums in general tend to have a strong presence of jerks out to cram something down your throat, along with the highly intelligent and advanced posters one sees, and that might have been why I ended up in scientific forums with a nuclear bent instead. I mean, after all, those people knew what was going on, right? Wrong.

In hindsight I can see now, that from day one, Tepco and the nuclear mafia planted shills everywhere. Seemingly knowledgeable people who took control of sites and steered them away from sensitive issues. This did an enormous disservice to the human race. What was desperately needed was an honest and intelligent presentation of what might be happening, and what might lie ahead. What we got was alot of industry propaganda shoved down our throats.

Since people were so desperate for knowledge, especially in those early days, they treated someone with nuclear expertise like a rock star. The game played by the shills was to come across sincere and knowledgeable and gain people's trust, then in subtle ways ridicule anti-nuclear posters and make them feel small, downplaying and obfuscating important data they brought forth, while painting rosy scenarios for the future. I saw that game play out time and again. And it disgusted me every time.

If you were a pro nuker, no problem, you got shown the light with a gentle lift. If you were anti-nuke you got subtle sarcasm the first time growing in intensity to an outright roasting if you tried to persist.

Many of us were learning radiation from scratch, with a million basic questions that needed asking and answering. It was easy to make mistakes or say something stupid in the first few weeks. People were scared to post, i know I was, for fear of being treated like an idiot. In essence the net was being shut down, and unless you knew nuclear power backwards and forwards and could compete with the sharks, you stayed in the background.

I would come to learn that this was a basic method of operation for the nuclear power industry ever since that day long ago when a couple of bozos lit up some lightbulbs at Hanford using thousands of kilowatts of radiated power. They are right and you are wrong and it doesn't matter the question as they already have the answer waiting in the wings. And the reason for their intense surety that nuclear power is safe, affordable and necessary is simple. They know they're wrong.

And the reason for their intense anger at anti-nukers is also simple. Dai-ichi was slowly pulling the rug out from underneath them.

So anyway, not monitoring the ATS thread was a big mistake. Much of the learning that I had to go through, to get to a place where the issues made a basic level of sense, was presented early on from a number of informed posters better than it was on the scientific engineering sites. Peeps there were involved and on top of the issues, asking the right questions, way before anyone else.

Minutes after Japan declared the initial nuclear emergency this thread sprang into action. Welshbeliever started it before most of the world knew anything had happened, begging that it not be deleted and stuck in the rumor bin.

Before the first tsunami wave hit Hawaii, XXXN30 stated that Fukushima would be "one of those disasters that will be remembered for quite a long time as the full effects have not yet hit.......It would be difficult to coordinate when theres flooding everywhere and damage."

Minutes later robrobby would post "It is the Fukushima Nuclear Plant which has problems with a reactor. They shut it down, but the water pumps have packed in and won't pump cooling water to the reactor core, hence the evacuation of 2000 locals. Rueters are just reporting that water levels are 'dropping' - that REALLY sounds serious.

And on and on it went from there. All I know is, if I had monitored that thread, the two days between R1 and R3 exploding would have been a hundred times more informative than what I experienced, and left me much more prepared for the R3 explosion than I actually was.

R2 and R3 From the Beginning

Long before the first explosion, the other two loaded reactors were most likely already beginning to melt down. However, the only way to know for sure if systems were failing was by monitoring pressure and temperature levels inside containment, and radiation levels outside containment. Unfortunately, all instrumentation at this time was lost. And all but one of the monitoring stations at the plant were disabled by the earthquake and tsunami. She was sailing blind and there is no way to know what transpired in the early hours.

The spike in radiation at a monitoring post (MP) before the tsunami knocked out emergency power is the only hard piece of evidence we have of early trouble. And these findings were downplayed and eventually ignored by Tepco, labeled as faulty equipment, which is a pattern that would repeat itself ad infinitum.

There were also worker reports in Japanese news media that stated prior to the tsunami steam was seen venting from the short stacks attached to the reactor buildings of R2 and R3. These are not the main stacks that tower between units but rather the small ones that snake up the sides of the reactor buildings and end only a few feet above the roof top. This has never been confirmed though, and the article is now 404'ed and lost to the ethers, another pattern that would repeat itself ad infinitum.

During the first 24 hours the work environment deteriorated rapidly. In the R1/R2 Main Control Room (MCR), the night of the EQ, they had to pull car batteries out of cars, haul them into the MCR and wire them into the system in the dark with radiation levels "1000 times normal," just for basic instrumentation to work. (I have no idea what a normal level inside a nuclear reactors control room might be, but '1000 times' doesn't sound good).

Confirming Coolant Delivery to the Cores

Both R1, R2 and R3 were in an event Tepco described as "ECCS was unavailable to inject water into the reactor." All instrumentation and emergency readouts had ceased to function. At 21:02 on March 11th Tepco stated that "Due to uncertainty about the water level and RCIC operating status, the authorities were informed that TAF might be reached."

This was rescinded when R2 finally received reactor pressure and water level instrumentation readings showing that TAF had not been reached and there was a cushion. Then shortly after midnight they began working on restoring functionality for the reactor and RCIC instrument racks in the reactor building. This was not considered a priority though as water levels showed that the R2 core was covered and R1 was deemed a mores serious threat.

Around 1:00 on the 12th workers were sent to confirm operation of the R2 RCIC. The room however was flooded near to the top of their boots and they couldn't complete their task. They reported hearing a faint metallic sound, but were unable to identify what it represented. Tepco reported it as confirmation that the RCIC was operating, but logic leads one to conclude that a high pressure pump pushing 400 gallons a minute would make more noise than a faint metallic sound when in operation.

Around 2:00 workers were sent back to the reactor building to 're-confirm' RCIC functionality but the water level had risen, and they were unable to enter the room, let alone confirm operation of the pump. They then went to the instrument rack higher in the reactor building and found the RCIC line pressure registering high, and used this as confirmation that the RCIC was working. At 2:55 Tepco officially listed the RCIC as in operation.

However, there have been serious questions raised concerning this listing and procedure, one being whether or not the instrumentation was even functioning at the time. There is no report of them successfully hooking the car batteries to this equipment, but there are reports of them deciding to focus on R1 and shifting energies to it in the same time frame.

But an even more important question concerns the flooding in the lower rooms where the RCIC pump room is located. Specifically, where did it come from. Reactor buildings are air and water tight. It had to come from earthquake damage, either cracked infrastructure or broken coolant lines. If broken coolant lines, the more likely suspect, how did this leak affect the performance of the RCIC system. At best, when functioning properly, the RCIC only pumps 400 gallons per minute, the bare minimum needed to maintain water levels after scram. Any leaks whatsoever would impair operations.

Another indicator of broken lines occurred at R3 when operators switched from the RCIC to the HPCI (High Pressure Coolant Injection System), which led to an immediate decrease in pressure in both the PCV and RPV. This pressure drop must have been caused by breaks in the HPCI lines allowing pressure to be released.

Battery Vs. Manual RCIC Operation

And then there is the question of battery life. Even if the RCIC's for R2 and R3 did function properly and free of leaks or ruptured pipes, the official report to the IAEA states, "In consideration of the presence or absence of power supply recovery within 8 hours, if the off-site power supply fails to recover during this period, it is assessed that the RCIC system could not continue running."

Since the RCICs use battery powered valves, once the batteries ran dry, continued operation would have to be done manually. This does not appear to have happened. Nor does it appear feasible according to documents, obtained via FOIA from the NRC, which state that these emergency manual operations of the RCIC "have really not been reviewed to ensure that they will work to mitigate severe accidents."

In essence, manual RCIC operation would be very difficult because personnel would need to physically open and close valves in a room in the reactor building with no ventilation and no lights, and in a room that is two feet deep in radiated water and rising. Add to that the fact that RCIC equipment have a distinct history of operational failures due to both governor valve and suction isolation valve malfunction, and the surety of them working under the conditions experienced at Fukushima seem highly unlikely.

This is reflected in a report from the US DOE dated 1994. This report concerns RCIC failures due to aging equipment. None of the plants, at the time of this study, were as old as Fukushima is when it went terminal. The following describes criterion for ranking the seriousness of failures. Though valves fail most often, resulting in leakage, they are rated only 5th because they usually dont bring the system to it's knees.

"Valves fail most often mainly because they are more numerous than other components, but they are ranked only 5th when the criterion of number of loss of system function failures is used. The reason is because the main failure mode for valves is leakage, which generally degrades the system operation, but does not necessarily cause a loss of system function. On the other hand, the failure frequency of the governors is low, but most of their failures cause a loss of system function, putting them in a higher rank when the criterion of number of loss of system function failures is used".

How often does an RCIC primary emergency system fail. From 1986 to 1991 there were 920 reported failures in the US, with over 80% being age related. As stated, Fukushima is many years older than the power plants in this study. And it went through an earthquake who's intensity no piece of equipment has ever been tested to withstand. Odds of failure are what?

There is a distinct possibility that R2 was on it's way out by noon on the 12th, with R3 right behind, and the primary culprit could easily have been earthquake damage to the emergency cooling systems.

We may never know for sure if the emergency cooling systems kicked in and functioned as designed for R2 and R3. The lack of functioning instrumentation led to long gaps in data collection and an inability to verify water levels and coolant injection right from the start. But it doesn't look like they did. And if they did, ruptured or leaking pipes, or equipment malfunctions, may have reduced, or eliminated, their effectiveness.

It should also be noted, that, even after getting instrumentation operating again, there is no guarantee it was operating properly. This is reflected in the final water level readout for R3 which showed the water level to be 217 inches, (5,520 mm) above TAF by wide range instrument but only 16 inches (400 mm) above TAF by fuel zone instruments.

SPEEDI

And finally, there is SPEEDI (System for Prediction of Environment Emergency Dose Information) data. This system monitors radiation throughout Japan and offshore coastal waters. For offshore readings SPEEDI was using both the Research Vessel MIRAI (from March 26) as well as numerous unmanned floats to record ocean and atmospheric radiation. The research Vessel MIRAI is the world's largest research vessel and more than capable of a wide range of environmental observations. The unmanned monitoring was provided using autonomous platforms (moored and drifting bouys) offshore Fukushima.

SPEEDI is the only data available that can give us a picture of what was truly happening in those first few days post EQ. And the picture it paints is not very pretty.

Tepco and NISA have claimed repeatedly that very little radioactive contamination was released from the plant until R2 and R4 blew. The reason Tepco and the nuclear industry/mafia were able to pretend that there was very little radiation being emitted was because of wind direction. It was blowing out to sea, And as long as it blew out to sea, Tepco claimed no radiation.

SPEEDI data refute this and shows the opposite to be happening. That's why this information has never been made public, even though it is funded with public money for the purpose of protecting the public from radiation exposure.

The hourly observations from the time of the accident to late summer from individual monitoring posts in Fukushima and Miyagi prefectures have been under survey and unavailable for public inspection since day one. A year later and this data is still under survey. I guess they want to make sure it's absolutely correct before notifying and warning the public.

The only SPEEDI data for Fukushima they ever released are the regional radiation dispersion maps. This first one is from shortly after the EQ and tsunami hit and shows I-131 activity. It clearly shows a plume of I-131 already being emitted from the plant and blowing out to sea. The only explanation for this plume is exposed fuel.

10PM on the 11th after notifying governments that there may be a problem.

5PM on the 12th

SPEEDI takes readings from the ground and uses wind forecasts to simulate dispersion. Their data clearly show a nuclear power plant bleeding nuclides into the ocean atmosphere within minutes after the tsunamis struck.

Irrespective the level of release in the first few days, it would still pale in the light of what was to come.
edit on 18-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

See, and THAT Z, is why you can't leave. One of the things that is missing from this crisis, is teams of reporters that are following it constantly.

I had this discussion with a buddy of mine concerning the reporters nowadays and what kind of stories they cover.

I also attended a rather large County Commissioners meeting that was discussing adding additional taxes to fund some additional schools.

Myself, and 2 other people were there besides the Commissioners themselves.

NO reporters.

I was shocked. Who is watching these idiots? The answer is, in most cases, no one.

Reporters today want the shock value, then they move on. Their bosses don't want them spending time on a story, just find a quick one and run it. Spending time on a story means that the editors are spending money on an exercise that may never produce anything, so forget that!

Think about Watergate, The Iran Contra Scandal, and so many other stories that in today's world would never be investigated because no one wants to put in the time to do so.

And here we are, all of us, investigating possibly the most important story in the recent (a million years or so) history of this planet, and what is this new media doing?

"Move along people, nothing to see here".

Pitiful is what I call it.

Honest to God, I really wish that I was a Billionaire, because I'd fund and start up a news org that actually reported on stories that needed time to be uncovered.

Sorry, soap box is back under the desk, and I'm better now.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by welshbeliever

Posting this thread here, to keep the timeline going.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

HUGE explosion from Sakurajima Volcano!WOW! This is in Japan folks.... Time to really start watching things..

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
from ex skf

Black dust 3 to 1 alpha particles

(Tweet that just got deleted) Emergency survey by OPCOM Institute of Isotopes, special arm of HCR, upon the discovery of "black dust". In the parking lot of a public housing project of Minami Soma City, measurement was:

γ+β+α:61.321μSv/h
γ+β:15.622μSv/h
which means α: 45.699μSv/h

since the dust this time came from a parking area of public housing and not a road, less chance of it being from road traction material. Hmmm?

Thats a pretty radical ratio 3 to 1 alpha

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Well....somebody has to drop this here. It might as well be me. "Canada denies refugee status to Japanese fleeing radiation........

enenews.com...
www.calgarysun.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Unit 2: Weird Numbers

RPV Drain Pipe - 0.3??? Instrument failure? Frozen?

www.tepco.co.jp...

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
First off, I have to say that I cannot see the Youtube video, but this is posted by a geologist, so I guess that it is the real deal. I also dont now if we have this on the thread already. If so, I apologise. If not then it maybe a useful vid to see. first the original post on city-data

Then the actual Youtube vid
PLANETARY TREMORS: Timeline Vizualization Map of the Japan Earthquakes in 2011!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

reply to post by welshbeliever

HUGE explosion from Sakurajima Volcano!WOW! This is in Japan folks.... Time to really start watching things..

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Dear friends. Thank you for all the kind words. Getting it back together slowly but seems new sh!t hits the fan hourly. But Im not about to let the nukie fruitcakes win the day.

And youre absolutely right M. After seeing how you stood in there and held your position without shirking away will always be inspirational to me.

Concerning the alpha emissions in Minami- Soma, this needs special attention. They need to spec the different dust from different areas and get ratios of the emitters. The only other thing it could be other than actinides is radium/radon (remember the stuff they tried to say other hotspots were until they realized they couldnt make it stick). But id bet the ranch its plutonium and other actinides from a nuclear explosion. If we had the full spec and ratios we would know for sure one way or the other.

And thanks again amigos. This is one of the few places where I like to spend time.

Still, I hope everyone knows whenever Im talking its just IMHO. I know I get way overconfident and need to be brought back to earth from time to time (to time to time to....)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Honest to God, I really wish that I was a Billionaire, because I'd fund and start up a news org that actually reported on stories that needed time to be uncovered.

Democracy Now does a great job at breaking, reporting and following up on important news.

Great job with the thread folks, and thanks for all your ongoing efforts to keep us informed.

edit on 2/19/1212 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
is there a live Fukushima camera that is actually up and running currently??

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadMaxZombie
is there a live Fukushima camera that is actually up and running currently??

Yip, the Tepco-Cam is running:
www.tepco.co.jp...

And the TBS/JNN too
but you need to visit the Web Page to get the new link

@ all

Shadowland

www.greenpeace.org...

And this is from Yesterday, on the Search for the Spike

edit on 19-2-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
ok, i might have to try the JNN site. the TEPCO one isn't working for me. is it because i don't have windows?? it worked for me last year, but they must've changed the requirements.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Well, I went through our #4 pool film again. Ok, our unkown glow is at 43 seconds, If you watch from 40 seconds on you'll notice the camera is panning across the the top of the fuel rod assemblies. We can see the handles of the assemblies at the beginning. Now look at this and tell me if the corner under the glow has been pushed up?

I marked a line where it looks like the tops of the fuel assemblies have been pushed up in the corner. I know it's murky so lets get some more eyes on it.... Gates to hell?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well, the art can't go to fukushima because of radiation. [But people can?] Ironic when you see his art.

mdn.mainichi.jp...
darumamuseumgallery.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Unit 1 Rad Spike

Saw this on Enenews:

enenews.com... ment-failure

And then pulled up latest TEPCO readings, and yes CAM D/W more than doubled. Wonder what's up?
www.tepco.co.jp...

Oh wait a second, I know!! Instrument failure!!

Temps look steady:
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

new topics

top topics

<< 1212  1213  1214    1216  1217  1218 >>

join