It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1203.htm
<< 1200  1201  1202    1204  1205  1206 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Pretty Large Spikes in Rad Graphs - METI

All that steaming that been going on...

atmc.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

WTF? Tepconese...

In order to avoid the increasing possibility of re-criticality to occur, which might be brought up by sudden cold water injection, resulting in the rise of water density inside the reactor,

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
These Fuku tracking threads on various domaynz are hilarious.

The entire media ignores it, and the best we have are 1000-page long, impossible to search threads, on barely respected kook-and-shill filled conspiracy destinations.

100 years from now, the future laughs at our generation, mocks our cowardice, and doesn't weep that we're dead.
edit on 8-2-2012 by smallpeeps because: yep

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

But many People still know where a specific Information is located!

Please don:t hesitate to ask for!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps

The entire media ignores it, and the best we have are 1000-page long, impossible to search threads, on barely respected kook-and-shill filled conspiracy destinations.

100 years from now, the future laughs at our generation, mocks our cowardice, and doesn't weep that we're dead.

On the other hand. I am grateful for the 1,200+ page thread on ATS. It shows that there are people who are concerned enough to dedicate their time, and research, to dig for the truth. For each post in the monster thread, keeping it alive with new data, means we haven't bought into the MSM's attitude of...*out of sight, out of mind*.

Something *drew* you to this forum. Just because you have given up and would rather poo poo the hard work of so many here, doesn't mean we have. Have a nice radioactive day...

Des

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

On the other hand. I am grateful for the 1,200+ page thread on ATS. It shows that there are people who are concerned enough to dedicate their time, and research, to dig for the truth. For each post in the monster thread, keeping it alive with new data, means we haven't bought into the MSM's attitude of...*out of sight, out of mind*.

Something *drew* you to this forum. Just because you have given up and would rather poo poo the hard work of so many here, doesn't mean we have. Have a nice radioactive day...

Des

Nah, it's a good thread, Im not poo po ing it.

Just the Internet domains who host these three or four threads while they turn a blind eye to the obvious conspiracy.

Just an observation which will mean more to the future, than it does to the sleeping present.

You're glad that the only source for truth are these Clickles(tm) producing domains?

You're grateful for them, and you don't see any connection between the people who run them, and the people who run the universities that sold nuclear power and nuclear scientists and General Electric who advertises at the Super Bowl but pays no taxes?

Threads are crap, as a truth. But yes, these fuku threads of 1200 page length on a few domains, are probably some of the most important threads ever created by IP humanity. However these threads are together, proof of a larger thread which needs to be written and pumped to 1200 pages. I am speaking of the future thread "What Fukishima taught our grandfathers in the dawning of the IP age".

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

No, I don't see any connection between ATS, and the powers that created nuclear reactors.

Methinks you are trying to weave a mountain out of spiderweb....If how the internet was used by our generation, and how it will be viewed by future generations, is so important to you...then, start your own thread on your most important information....

edit on 8-2-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

No, I don't see any connection between ATS, and the powers that created nuclear reactors.

Methinks you are trying to weave a mountain out of spiderweb....If how the internet was used by our generation, and how it will be viewed by future generations, is so important to you...then, start your own thread on your most important information....

Start another thread?

And another?

You don't see the silly meme inside your head?

Each nuke reactor is a bomb, built by people who knew they were building bombs which eventually would degrade or fail.

You don't know who runs the domains on which you type. That's sad but not unusual. Carry on, I will follow your banal and uninformed suggestion and "start another thread", and thereby bury the world in threads.

No really, these fuku threads may actually change the world! ...Mmmm, nah.

Does anyone here know the status of the Fukishima grannies camping (occupying?) in front of their authority's offices? I heard some brave Japan grannies decided to camp and occupy. Do you have any info on them?

If not, then you don't really have any info, do you?
edit on 8-2-2012 by smallpeeps because: hmm yeah

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Listen bub. Did you feel that kick to the knee cap? I'm not sure what or who you're even mad at? The folks here who try there best? I don't think the thread is owned by the nuke gang. All the info would have been censored. So what's really got you bugged? The lack of public action/outrage? Me too. Got any constructive ideas? Lay em on me, dude. You seem like a smart guy. Help, or get lost. You can't just drop in and complain that one news item is missing. We got nothing against grannies.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aircooled

Listen bub. Did you feel that kick to the knee cap? I'm not sure what or who you're even mad at? The folks here who try there best? I don't think the thread is owned by the nuke gang. All the info would have been censored. So what's really got you bugged? The lack of public action/outrage? Me too. Got any constructive ideas? Lay em on me, dude. You seem like a smart guy. Help, or get lost. You can't just drop in and complain that one news item is missing. We got nothing against grannies.

The occupy movement is some silly crap ain't it?

Some few people, some union people or Egyptians. Just some stuff that happens.

Meanwhile Obama said a year ago, for you to go to sleep about Fuku. He said that straight up: Go back to sleep.

So then you go to threads, and it takes another year. Meanwhile we all see that he lied, knowingly.

So yeah, I hear you, I'm being a bit rude. But all I am saying is that these forums, on the IP network, if you mention them much, they'll delete the thread. They do like to keep their fences up so as to have the thread.

1200 pages is a alot. a year is a long time. Sorry, I'm just irritated at how long it's taking for people to wake up to what is happening and what has been built into the very ground, to happen in the future. Ignore me, carry on, on all domains. Also, never ever talk on these threads about who runs the domains. Just dont. Cool? Okay, now tell me, are there Japanese people occupying TEPCO offices because if they are out there and you don't know, then every 1200 page fuku thread on all domains means very little.

So many threads eh? There's the "Nuclear Scientists of the 1960s who knew that 2020 would suck" thread, there's the "They killed JFK No they Didn't" thread... I hear you. No really.

Anyway, are those grannies still camping in Japan? That's one occupy we shouldn't let the cops or gangsters roll over. I think it matters, this question I'm asking.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Then start your own thread! Coming on this thread, putting people down for not covering the issues important to you, accomplishes nothing.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Then start your own thread! Coming on this thread, putting people down for not covering the issues important to you, accomplishes nothing.

Okay I will.

Hey, sorry didn't mean to hit a nerve, but the Exec says go to sleep and the occupy's have been brushed aside so I'm trying to steer you more toward usefulness. That's all. Forget I said anything. On with the show.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Des

Wow Des. I think thats the most inspiring post Ive read in a long time.

I know for me this thread has kept me out of alot of trouble and been soothing for the soul in a strange way. Just knowing that Tepco and probably NISA, NRC etc monitor this site makes me feel good about the work all of us have done. People desperately needed a voice in this disaster, and forums and blogs were the only game in town (what with the MSM clamp down by industry and the cowardice displayed by regulatory agencies).

In fact, I see this thread and EXSKF and Enformable and the many other sites staying on top of everything as the front line of a war for the hearts and minds of sleeping masses around the world. And yes I do think that this thread will have far reaching effects.

And smallpeeps you gotta know that I, and i am sure others on this thread, feel extreme frustration in ways that most people wouldnt understand.

And the mothers and grandmothers camped out last I heard were still being warned to leave but no one has been evicted yet and Im sure if they had it would have made big news and we would know. Having said that Ill check.

But if its social issues you want to see covered there have been numerous posts in this thread concerning peoples struggle against the nuclear mafia. Just recently a group of women protesting nuclear power in India were attacked and beaten and it was discussed here.

The bottomline is that this thread is a repository of data that TPTB dont want in circulation.

ON EDIT: and smallpeeps, dont for a second think the Occupy movement is dead in the water. It is evolving, and this summer is going to be very interesting, what with a similar situation facing the world as the 1968 elections with both parties posting a pro war, pro nuclear power and pro industry candidate and the no war, no nuke power and no more pollution crowd is left out in the cold once again. Talking bout a revolution of evolutionary proportions. Stay tuned.
edit on 8-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the update on the Fukishima granny occupation (that being that we don't know).

I bounce these Fuku threads on various domaynz. Thanks for seeing my point.

Oh and I do have a thread about my point. It's called "Truth is Buried at ATS. Anyone digging?"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But yeah, altogether, these Fuku threads as a group are very powerful threads. It's just too bad that the nature of domaynz is to deny the existence of each other. In so doing, they insult themselves, their owners, and they perpetuate the conspiracy --Forgive me please, because this is a conspiracy site FIRST not a news site.

The crap news, is the conspiracy. The long long time it takes for truth to be admitted in the news, is the conspiracy. Thanks though, I won't post in this thread again until a year from now.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

The crap news, is the conspiracy. The long long time it takes for truth to be admitted in the news, is the conspiracy. Thanks though, I won't post in this thread again until a year from now.

Either way we need all the help we can get, if you decide to stick around and get involved cool. If not, I have a feeling we may still be here.

But in case you missed my edit above (as you had already posted) Im posting it again because I feel very strongly about the worlds freedom struggles, so again

ON EDIT: and smallpeeps, dont for a second think the Occupy movement is dead in the water. It is evolving, and this summer is going to be very interesting, what with a similar situation facing the world as the 1968 elections with both parties posting a pro war, pro nuclear power and pro industry candidate and the no war, no nuke power and no more pollution crowd is left out in the cold once again. Talking bout a revolution of evolutionary proportions. Stay tuned.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am concerned about the increasing temp readings and the fact that they are adding Boric Acid. This seems to raise a red flag telling me that they know that there is new trouble.

What is the next step if things continue to get worse after the increases of water and Boric? And why the heck would the NRC even think to add explosive charges inside these things. I think the worst part of this is that they would even consider the idea... and/or, come up with the plan in the first place.

On a side note, it has not rained here since my last post. But with all the possible steam releases, I am curious to see what registers in the rain.

Take care guys.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Polite Mod Comment

Hi People,

Sorry to be a butt-in-ski here, but can we focus on the thread/post rather than any individual posters within it please...

Just as an aside: I'm guessing we're all fundamentally 'on the same side' here...all seeking answers, tossing around ideas and opinions and whatnot...there's far more that we share in common than we hold in difference...

So lets not wander too far down the path of separating ourselves from eachother...from potential allies in whatever search we're on.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by alien
Polite Mod Comment

Hi People,

Sorry to be a butt-in-ski here, but can we focus on the thread/post rather than any individual posters within it please...

Just as an aside: I'm guessing we're all fundamentally 'on the same side' here...all seeking answers, tossing around ideas and opinions and whatnot...there's far more that we share in common than we hold in difference...

So lets not wander too far down the path of separating ourselves from eachother...from potential allies in whatever search we're on.

Cheers.

Yeah and keep us updated on the Fukushima grannies right?

Thanks yo, they're camping on behalf of the future.

As far as I heard, we have no idea if they're okay or if TEPCO has bought them any miso?

Get on it, thanks.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
Found this while snooping around.

Source arstechnica.com...

Reactor 4 had to have been filled with fresh fuel like the allegations. Those CV cap plumes look identical to R3s'. Lower floor damage from torus explosion..

I read that pic differently but it's funny you should post it cause I recently came across that pic and some of the forum discussion (I think artstechnica, but maybe a nuclear engineers forum) that took place around that pic at the time. This is from rough notes though

The temperatures shown on the thermal images were not generally very high really. So I am not really sure that we have clear signs of a big source of heat in the reactor area, but I admit some of the thermal images still interest me in this regard. Is it possible that we are just looking at the heat of steam that has blown in a northerly direction as it rises up from the pool? Or we are looking at water that is in the pit & reactor well area, but is not really very hot?

I have trouble imagining some fuel still being in reactor area, because diagram from the other day that showed work to inject water into reactor well & pit areas, seems to suggest that the core shroud has been removed and placed in the pit. I dont imagine them having any fuel in the area if shroud has been removed. It would be helpful if we knew more about the exact stage the shroud replacement work was at when the disaster struck.

-------------
In the YouTube Kei Sugaoko interview just after 7 minutes he says the shroud replacement was complete in Unit 4, according to his GE connections, so the core area was covered.

Does the heat signature emanating from the RPV area in the thermal images of 4 reflect possible tunnel effect

I think there are quite a few ways to interpret all of the military thermals. Its really fascinating going thru the entire collection. Weird things pop out.

Im not sure what the core area covered implies though. With the containment cap not on, would they cover the core area with no fuel in it. Im guessing they would but dont know.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
From here on the book has a quote between each chapter. This is the one before chap 5, followed by chap 5;

Chapter Five's Quote of the Day
March 12

From Prof. Naoto Sekimura, used by Japanese media for his nuclear expertise, shortly before R1 exploded. Sekimura is head of Sekimura Laboratory, involved in cutting edge research into radiation embrittlement, stress corrosion cracking and lattice defects in reactor metals.

"No Chernobyl is possible at a light water reactor. Loss of coolant means a temperature rise, but it also will stop the reaction. Even in the worst-case scenario, that would mean some radioactive leakage and equipment damage, but not an explosion. If venting is done carefully, there will be little leakage. Certainly not beyond the 3 km radius."

Chapter Five
Castles Made of Sand

The internet is such an amazing world. Within minutes after the R1 explosion, Fukushima threads sprang up in forums like weeds in the spring. Everywhere you looked people were searching for information concerning the condition of Dai-ichi. It seems that nuking the planet gets people pushed out of shape and hyper excited really quick. Go figure.

I tried to track a number of the sites, but as the disaster progressed, this became impossible. Some of the more informative sites were also the most popular, and 10 pages a day of posts became common overnight. So I tried to focus as best I could, while still never happy with the information I was finding, and always needing to search for more.

It was obvious to those educated in nuclear power that Dai-ichi was not only in trouble, but in much greater trouble than Tepco was admitting to. All signs were beginning to point to multiple meltdowns, with R1 leading the charge.

How could they not. The heat of the rods at scram are hot enough to boil off the coolant to the top of the fuel rods (TOF) in 20 minutes. If accounts of pipes breaking at R1 are true, and this led to an immediate loss of coolant, radiation could have started being released within 20 minutes, and meltdown occurring an hour or so later. This would account for the early spike at a monitoring post one mile from R1 at 3:29, right before the first tsunami struck.

However, NISA puts the time of meltdown at 8PM on the 11th. Either way, the battle was lost before the day was done.

In fact, it may have been better that water wasn't injected at this point. Within a short period of time the fuel is a mass of lava-like corium; melted cladding, steel and uranium pellets, at the bottom of the RPV heating up to 2400 C to 2800 C. Adding water at this crucial stage could have blown the reactor open in a violent steam and hydrogen explosion.

By now the corium is much hotter than the melting point of steel, and capable of eating through the carbon steel floor of the RPV with ease. According to data from ORNL, it would take 4 hrs to penetrate the RPV. After that happens, the slag of corium will then drop to the cement basemat and begin eating into the cement, and eventually the steel, of the PCV. If there is a corium cement reaction, it will be through the PCV into the final layer of cement between it and earth in a matter of days if not hours. Adding water at this point is somewhat meaningless as all it is doing is creating radioactive steam emissions and pressure while cooling only the tail of the corium which has crusted over.

Tepco was well aware of this fact. They were also well aware of the time it would take for meltdown to begin, and that it had started in two, and possibly three reactors by the time the sun rose the next day, a day that had already started out unbelievably hard for so many.

But like so many other things Dai-ichi, we may never know the extent of damage that the EQ caused, and if broken pipes were a primary disturbance. Tepco has never given a full accounting of damage beyond that which was either obvious, or advantageous, to give. All we have are worker accounts from mostly unidentified sources. And all field worker accounts have painted a similar picture of cracks forming, roads buckling, pipes breaking, explosive sounds and the hissing of steam.

The reason that Tepco and the nuclear industry is doing everything they can to keep damage from the EQ hidden from sight is because the magnitude of the EQ that hit Dai-ichi, due to distance from the epicenter, was in the 7 range, which most nuclear power plants in both Japan and the US are designed to withstand. If this plant failed at that level of disturbance it would force a massive shake up in which plants worldwide would be allowed to continue operating.

There are three major concerns with an earthquake hitting a nuclear power plant. One is damage offsite to primary utilities, ie power and water. Two is damage to plant infrastructure, ie broken pipes, cracks in containment or pools etc. And three is disturbing and shaking the fuel and possibly starting a crticial reaction.

We know that all offsite power was lost, (except possibly one line not in use at the time, but that's for a later chapter), which in and of itself is a serious effect. And if the following worker accounts are indeed true, then there was also extensive damage to plant infrastructure. Many of these accountings come from anonymous sources, workers who have asked that their identity be protected. Where no name is given, this is the case.

The Explosion

The most striking accounts revolve around the sound of an explosion, which was heard inside different reactors. If it was one explosion, it appears to have come from R1. This was the suspicion of Tepco management. But how could an explosion in R1 be heard in the torus of R4. It would have had to have been a massive explosion, and not something that could be easily hid or erased from the record. And the description of the sound in the torus places it louder than the descriptions from R3 and R1. The following is from a worker in the R4 torus at the time of the EQ;

"The reactor had been shut down for a major overhaul, and Mr. Tada had been scanning the surface of the suppression chamber...for signs of corrosion. When the swaying started, then grew more violent, Mr. Tada grabbed at some hanging pipes to hold himself upright. Then came the terrible boom, magnified in the doughnut-shaped chamber."

Magnified in the chamber. Theoretically, the only sounds you could hear in the torus would be from the RPV or PCV, but R4's reactor was empty. Where did this boom come from? We will probably never know.

It could have been something going off in the underground complex (UC), as this sound was heard in other places around the plant. Or there could have been multiple explosions, including ruptured gas lines from the EQ. But there is always only one boom referred to, and it was heard everywhere, including the north end of the plant.

"Mr. Hoshi was building scaffolding at the turbine in the No. 5 reactor when the earthquake hit...."the walls started crumbling and dust as thick as black smoke filled the room,'' Mr. Hoshi recalled. "There was a shock, the lights went out, then a boom that sounded like an explosion", he said."

R4 to R5 pretty much runs the north/south gamut of the plant as far as reactors go. Are these accounts related. A terrible boom in the torus of R4 and a boom that sounded to workers in the TB of R5 like an explosion somewhere else.

If they are, then it stands to reason that these are as well;

“I was in a building nearby when the earthquake shook. After the second shockwave hit, I heard a loud explosion that was almost deafening. I looked out the window and I could see white smoke coming from reactor one. I thought to myself, ‘this is the end.’”

Almost deafening. In a building nearby. Not even at one of the reactors. This has to be a single explosion and it appears to be centered somewhere along murderers row. For only one blast to be heard this loud by so many in the same time frame, moments after the main shake occurred, negates it being a gas tank, or multiple cylinders, as has been suggested in the media. The idea that a gas tank exploded came from an evacuation order by Tepco management before the tsunami hit;

"the supervisor ordered them all to evacuate, explaining, “there’s been an explosion of some gas tanks in reactor one, probably the oxygen tanks. In addition to this there has been some structural damage, pipes have burst, meltdown is possible. Please take shelter immediately.”"

It is not possible for gas tanks to explode in the R1 building and be heard as a terrible boom in the R4 torus. They may not, in fact, even be heard. This looks to be another Tepco quick cover up. Explosive sounds from R1 may have made it into the R5 TB, but the R4 torus boom is a different event. Or they are all one event but not from R1. And wherever it was from, it was massive.

The Pipes

The next most striking thing in worker accounts are the broken pipes, gushing water and hissing sounds. But before exploring damaged pipe lines we need to understand the condition these pipes were possibly in.

Fukushima is an ancient beast in nuclear reactor years. Murderers Row, at least all the reactors and most of the infrastructure, was constructed in the late 60s and early to mid 70s. Since then there have been reports of shoddy workmanship on coolant piping, possibly by members of Yakuza, and numerous violations cited.

These practices came to a head in 2000 when Kei Sugaoka, a Japanese engineer who worked at R1, sent the Japanese government a letter, dated June 28, 2000, warning them of serious problems with the piping and quality of work being performed at Fukushima Dai-ichi. In a recent interview he stated that;

“The plant had problems galore and the approach taken with them was piecemeal. Most of the critical work: construction work, inspection work, and welding were entrusted to sub-contracted employees with little technical background or knowledge of nuclear radiation. I can’t remember there ever being a disaster drill. The TEPCO employees never got their hands dirty.”

It took the Japanese government more than two years to act on that warning. And not only did the government take over two years to address the problem, while helping cover it up, they gave the name of the whistleblower to TEPCO. That's how much the Japanese government cares about safety at a nuclear power plant.

Finally, in 2002, allegations that TEPCO had deliberately falsified safety records came to light and the company was forced to shut down all of its reactors and inspect them, including the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant.

Then, in September of 2002, TEPCO admitted to covering up and falsifying data concerning cracks in critical recirculation pipes. In their analysis of the cover-up, The Citizen’s Nuclear Information Center writes: “The records that were covered up had to do with cracks in parts of the reactor known as recirculation pipes. These pipes are there to siphon off heat from the reactor. If these pipes were to fracture, it would result in a serious accident in which coolant leaks out. From the perspective of safety, these are highly important pieces of equipment. Cracks were found in the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant, reactor one, reactor two, reactor three, reactor four, reactor five.”

The cracks in the pipes were not due to earthquake damage; they came from the simple wear and tear of long-term usage. Radiation messes steel and other metals up real bad.

Katsunobu Onda, author of TEPCO: The Dark Empire notes, “I’ve spent decades researching TEPCO and its nuclear power plants and what I’ve found, and what government reports confirm is that the nuclear reactors are only as strong as their weakest links, and those links are the pipes.”

During his research, several engineers working at Dai-ichi told him that often piping would not match up the way it should according to the blueprints. In that case, the only solution was to use heavy machinery to pull the pipes close enough together to weld them shut.

They also told him that inspection of piping was often cursory, while the backs of the pipes, which were hard to reach, were seldom inspected at all. Repair jobs were also rushed as no one wanted to be exposed to nuclear radiation longer than necessary.

“When I first visited the Fukushima power plant it was a web of pipes. Pipes on the wall, on the ceiling, on the ground. You’d have to walk over them, duck under them—sometimes you’d bump your head on them. It was like a maze of pipes inside.”

“The pipes, which regulate the heat of the reactor and carry coolant, are the veins and arteries of a nuclear power plant....you can’t cool a reactor core if the pipes carrying the coolant and regulating the heat rupture—it doesn’t get to the core.”

The following post in an early Fukushima forum is possibly the best analysis of the conditions that probably existed at the time of the EQ.

"I have engineered nine US Mark I BWRs, like Fukushima.....There is critical piping in every nuke, piping vital to plant safety. It is subject to operating conditions: pressure, temperature, movement, corrosion, etc. but also seismic loadings. Proper alignment, and welding at joints, is crucial to establishing the necessary margins to survive and function. This is extremely difficult, costly, and time consuming. Very few welders are qualified to do this work; they are the cream of the crop. Each weld is carefully inspected, and the inspection records are kept on file.

If the workers cheat, force fit up of non aligning sections, do not make full penetration welds, skip inspections, falsify the reports, then two things happen. A culture of corruption spreads, as unacceptable work is bought off. And the plant is weak, incapable of surviving maximum loadings. Neither can exist without management and regulators looking the other way.

There is no question that the loss of emergency power, for a long period of time, from the tsunami damage doomed the plants. But...ruptured cooling systems may have doomed the cores, long before the flood came."

And to highlight all of the above concerns, on March 2, nine days before the meltdown, the Nuclear Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) gave TEPCO a warning on its failure to inspect critical pieces of equipment at the plant, which included the recirculation pumps. TEPCO was ordered to make the inspections, perform repairs if needed and give a report to the NISA on June 2.

This was the condition of infrastructure, especially critical piping, at the time the EQ hit. Is it any wonder there are worker accounts like these below;

One worker, a maintenance engineer in his late twenties who was at the Fukushima complex on March 11, recalls hissing and leaking pipes. “I personally saw pipes that came apart and I assume that there were many more that had been broken throughout the plant. There’s no doubt that the earthquake did a lot of damage inside the plant," he said. "There were definitely leaking pipes, but we don’t know which pipes – that has to be investigated.

A second worker, a technician in his late 30s, who was also on site at the time of the earthquake, narrated what happened. “It felt like the earthquake hit in two waves, the first impact was so intense you could see the building shaking, the pipes buckling, and within minutes, I saw pipes bursting. Some fell off the wall. Others snapped. I was pretty sure that some of the oxygen tanks stored on site had exploded but I didn’t see for myself. Someone yelled that we all needed to evacuate and I was good with that. But I was severely alarmed because as I was leaving I was told and I could see that several pipes had cracked open, including what I believe were cold water supply pipes. That would mean that coolant couldn’t get to the reactor core. If you can’t sufficiently get the coolant to the core, it melts down. You don’t have to have to be a nuclear scientist to figure that out.”

So there is a very real possibility that the flow of coolant was stopped at any or all of the reactors before the tsunami even hit. Once again, we will probably never know the truth. However, an engineer who helped design R4's pressure vessel, Mitsuhiko Tanaka, and Atsuo Watanabe, former designer of containment vessels at Toshiba Corp, took things one step further and stated flatly that broken piping caused the R1 meltdown.

According to them, the story that the emergency cooling system was turned off because of a rapid drop in temperature is bogus. Tepco said it stopped the emergency condensers after the quake but before the tsunami hit to stop the temperature of the pressure vessel from cooling faster than 55 C per hour. This, it said, was strictly in accordance with the instructions contained in the operating manual.

According to Tanaka, this was not the case. He said the 55-C-per-hour is a figure used in ordinary plants in a non-emergency situation just prior to cold shutdown. This was an emergency situation with no cold shutdown anywhere in site. Cooling the reactor in the short term will always take precedence over long term wear and tear on piping. And considering that Tepco has never shown any concern for the health of their piping, to all of a sudden place it above saving a reactor is a ridiculous notion that doesn't fly. Not with Tanaka and Watanabe.

Other interesting reports of EQ damage are as follows;

One worker told NHK World he was working at unit 4 when he heard a "roar" and the lights cut out. He said the water in the spent fuel storage pool drenched everyone....the earthquake created waves within the storage pools that washed over the workers standing near the pools....and were soaked with highly radioactive water.

Kenji Mougi and Matsuo Watanabe saw asphalt split and cracks open in the roads threading through the complex, some so deep that Mr. Mougi had trouble getting back to three other members of his crew.

Hiroyuki Nishi narrowly escaped death...when a 200-ton hook on a crane came crashing down a mere two meters (6 feet) from him during the convulsions. "Then some kind of white smoke or steam appeared and everyone started choking," Nishi said. "We all covered our mouths and ran for the door."

Unfortunately the door was locked (no electricity) and the radiation detection unit wasn't functioning (no electricity) and the regulations state that no one can leave a reactor building without first showing that they have no rads attached to them. So the R3 supervisor refused to let the workers leave, even as aftershocks that were almost as strong as the initial quake began to strike, forcing them to individual hand monitored radiation inspections. Workers started screaming to be released.

Nishi recalled angry shouts from among the workers including expletives from a couple of Canadians. "We were shouting that the reactor structure was going to collapse or that a tsunami might come," Nishi recalled. Radiation exposure was the last thing on their minds. Eventually, TEPCO workers tested about 20 people before giving up and throwing open the doors.

Location, Location, Location

There is another issue that needs inclusion into this discussion, one that Tepco and the nuclear industry have done their best to hide, the site that Dai-ichi rests upon. All nuclear power plants in Japan are built on bedrock or granite, except Fukushima Dai-ichi and Daini. These are built on deep layers of sand, clay, mud and Neogene sedimentary rock.

The NRC doesn't even allow building a nuclear power plant on Neogene sedimentary rock that is in earthquake country. And Japan is arguably the most seismically active area on this whole planet.

But that is exactly what Dai-ichi rests upon, sand, clay and Neogene sedimentary rock going down hundreds of meters. Easy to dig tunnels in, but very bad if there is an earthquake. Very, very, bad.

edit on 8-2-2012 by zworld because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1200  1201  1202    1204  1205  1206 >>

join