It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

page: 1199.htm
<< 1196  1197  1198    1200  1201  1202 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zworld

Bingo Zworld you hit the nail on the head. Trans Alta a Canadian electric company bought our steam plant and coal mine.
Coal mine shut down 600 families lost union jobs and they now import all the coal from Wyoming/ Montana to feed the power plant that will shut down do to C02 emissions in 2014, there goes another 300 family wage jobs.
What they gonna put in it's place?
A port, not a sea port either a manufacturing port with no union, so they can build manufacturing plants for the Japanese car makers we compete with maybe Boeing but I'm not holding my breath.
They also want to ship the coal through our state to the sea port to feed China.
See they make us believe coal is worse than nuclear then wholesale our resources that we might need in case of WW3.
I at least think We should get a big free of charge water line from Canada for Texas and for our trouble. Rbrtj

We are now importing 30% of our food due to do the drought and they need water not oil.
That is WTF is going on???

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
A friend grabbed this screen cap off radnet this morning. Check out Virginia.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aircooled

Bloody Hell! Thanks AC , wish we could know ahead of time.
It was a beautiful 45 degree day & I drove up to Frederick MD only 39 miles N of where I live
in N VA...went to work my Border Collies on Wool Sheep. Had I known we were getting hit I would have stayed home since I was off today. Reminds me of the 1st time the said don't drink rain water in VA...Well
Bloody Hell I didn't hear that on the news until 6pm on NPR! They could have told us earlier so we had the choice to be contaminated or not....same deal I was out working my dogs so we were all get wet with this
SH*$t. That is a HUGE thing that bothers me is them not letting us know so we can make our OWN choice.

A surprised that they would let it get that close to DC....I can see Mt Weather right outside my patio...can se the city during the winter but thank god the leaves cover all the lights in the summer.

Cheers
Ektar
Wish I could afford a Geiger Counter but they sre extremely expensive!
edit on 3-2-2012 by Ektar because: Forgot to add a note

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ektar

Ektar
Wish I could afford a Geiger Counter but they sre extremely expensive!
edit on 3-2-2012 by Ektar because: Forgot to add a note

Ektar,

you can get very cheap Geiger Counter via E-Bay,
they start at 30USD for a very rough one from the days of the Cold War (Used but New),
the SOEKS is Okay to get a hint and they start at 120USD,
a Radex1706 start at 250USD and they are good enough
(both New)
www.ebay.com...

You can build them also by yourself, when you use the Top-Equipment the price will be not above 40USD
this will be without a USB Connection or Bluetooth!

When you have a interest i can send you the Construction Plan!

Regards and remember a little bit of Radiation
will not destroy your Genetic Code,
for this you need higher Amounts for a longer Time!!!
edit on 4-2-2012 by Human0815 because: add of a link

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
We have a newer EQ model showing a year of quakes in Japan.

And a great report from the hot zone.
kingo999.blog.fc2.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Boah, this F'Shima Video made me so angry,
when the Level is above 1.10uSv/h they
need to leave this Place, to keep the Kids
ar home is in a way selfish.

I will send a Letter to this Town Office,
this Families are in the extreme urgent need
of a Sustitute House, Flat or Hotel,
they cant stay in a Place with >30.00uSv/h

Aaaaaaarrrghhhhhhh War and Civil Unrest!
edit on 4-2-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Just a quick question, I am pretty confident I know the answer but a ATS member that shows up to debunk everything had this to say.

The steam from nuclear reactors core powers the cooling pumps. Nuclear power plants have diesel generators (to operate control systems) in case of power loss. Presumably there would be enough fuel on site to enable a safe shutdown.

Of course with nothing to substantiate this claim. I have read this thread everyday from day one as well as studying Chernobyl and this is not how I understood it. That statement is incorrect is it not? The offsite power is the first of 3 power supplies for the cooling pumps correct?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

You would be correct, off-site power (1st layer of power) is the primary energy source for the cooling system, the steam pumps are used in event off-site power is lost as an emergency measure.

The generators (2nd layer of power) are to power the pumps while off-site power is being restored and can only operate as long as fuel is available; storage space for which is finite, and like most of the generators, very near water level.

ETA:

And finally there are the batteries (3rd layer of power), if all else fails and the generators run out of fuel and off-site power has not been restored. The batteries have a life of between 4 and 6 hours.

It's all been covered in-depth in this thread, so diligent searching would produce posts and links.

edit on 4-2-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: addtional info

edit on 4-2-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: formatting fix

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Thanks, so assuming pipes are not so badly damaged that there is little pressure to run the steam powered pumps they should be able to cool the reactor temporarily. Of course the SFPs would need cooling as well and the cooler the core got the less steam there would be run the pumps. As the reactor cools it would call for less cooling but the SFPs would need a consistent amount of cooling though. Of course any cooling is dependent on an undamaged or minimally damaged cooling system.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Precisely, there is significant proof through various news reports to indicate that even if the tsunami had not taken out the generators, the damage to the entire cooling system (broken pipes, etc) would have prevented the coolant from circulating.

TheRedneck indicated that the scram rods are engineered to extremely fine tolerances, so even the slightest misalignment could have severly affected the ability to even shut down the reactors.

The SFPs are another matter entirely, as you mention. Even if the reactors were shut down and the decay heat could be bled off, the SFPs require a constant supply of power for ongoing cooling, for years. Eventually the used fuel assemblies are cool enoigh to be placed in to dry casks for long-term (a mere fraction of the amount of time they really need) storage.

Check out DontTreadOnMe's new thread:
Hanford, WA; Monumental Cleanup at Hanford Nuclear Waste Site

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Unit 2: RPV Bottom Temp 64.8

Unit 2】19:20 on February 3: To improve reliability of water injection to the reactors, the injection line connecting to the reactor injection pump on the hill was replaced with polyethylene pipes and we have been changing the route for reactor injection from feed water system to reactor core spray system in a stepwise manner. After completion of adjusting water flow amount as planned on February 2, tendency of temperature rise at the bottom of PCV was observed. Thus, we changed the injection amount into Unit 2 reactor through feed water system from 2.9 m3/h to 4.9 m3/h and changed that though reactor core spray system from 5.8 m3/h to 3.8 m3/h . As for the temperature rise, the temperature at the upper head of the bottom of PCV has risen to approx. 67.2 ℃ at the highest (as of 4 pm on February 4: reference), but currently, it is approx. 65.1℃*1 (as of 5 pm on February 4). The trend of the temperature seems to be going flat and we will monitor it continuously.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Other Temps rising also...all malfunctioning?
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive
edit on 4-2-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

U.S. Should Bring an End to the Nuclear Era

When Warren Buffett's corporation MidAmerican looked into building a new nuclear reactor, it determined that it did not make "economic sense." Rather than risk billions of dollars on a new nuclear reactor, Buffett's corporation just made headlines by investing in renewable energy. Americans, President Obama, and the Congress have a choice. We can heed the caution of the "world's greatest investor" or we can we pursue new nuclear plants that Wall Street has called a "bet the farm" risk.

My Source

Personal note... I'm not a big fan of Warren or most of the rich people in America who are allowed to donate vast sums of their income to charity or their own charitable foundations, because to do so robs all of our citizens of the tax dollars needed to pay it's bills, but he is a shrewd business man and when he says nuclear power is a money pit, congress should listen.
Thank you ATS for being a beacon in the dark night.
Rbrtj

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
More leaks and they are worried about #4 collapsing
ktar.com...

A great video from our bud, William.

And our bud Moch has a cool new hat, and some words on Japan.
fukushima-diary.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Gee, I guess they were lying about Cold Shutdown. I'm shocked!
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

about the only thing that would suprise me any more about this situation would be if they started telling the whole truth and nothing but but i dont think thats to likely sadly they will doom us all

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
These people...

Chernobyl experts hopeful on Fukushima

What are they smoking? Stuff grown at Chernobyl?

U.S. Should Bring an End to the Nuclear Era

This is BS. We can have safe nuclear energy. That's called THORIUM nuclear energy. Also... don't put the plant near a coast or on a fault line. And make REAL inspections regularly.

Then all should be fine.
edit on 5-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Purplechive

Unit 2: RPV Bottom Temp 64.8

Unit 2】19:20 on February 3: To improve reliability of water injection to the reactors, the injection line connecting to the reactor injection pump on the hill was replaced with polyethylene pipes and we have been changing the route for reactor injection from feed water system to reactor core spray system in a stepwise manner. After completion of adjusting water flow amount as planned on February 2, tendency of temperature rise at the bottom of PCV was observed. Thus, we changed the injection amount into Unit 2 reactor through feed water system from 2.9 m3/h to 4.9 m3/h and changed that though reactor core spray system from 5.8 m3/h to 3.8 m3/h . As for the temperature rise, the temperature at the upper head of the bottom of PCV has risen to approx. 67.2 ℃ at the highest (as of 4 pm on February 4: reference), but currently, it is approx. 65.1℃*1 (as of 5 pm on February 4). The trend of the temperature seems to be going flat and we will monitor it continuously.

www.tepco.co.jp...

Other Temps rising also...all malfunctioning?
www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

Ex-Skf:

ex-skf.blogspot.com...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Unit 2 & 3 Sub-Drain Rad levels Way Up Again

www.tepco.co.jp...

Worker "In Bad Shape"...in Hospital

At about 7:10 pm on February 4, a worker of a partner company which operated the water desalinations said he was in bad shape. He was examined and treated at the emergency medical clinic of Unit 5&6 and judged that he required an emergency transfer. Then he was transferred to the J Village at 9:06 pm. After that, at 9:50 pm, he was transferred to Iwaki Kyouritsu Hospital from the J Village. At this moment, the doctors examine and treat. The patient does not have any radiation materials.

Don't know if he was involved with the Unit 2 desalting alarm:

At 10:56 pm on February 4, "Abnormal state (low pressures) in suction pressure of RO high pressure pump" triggered the alarm in the desalting facility for spent fuel pool of Unit 2, and the facility automatically stopped. Because all isolation valves of the system have been closed due to the interlock and the alternative cooling system for spent fuel pool is continuously operated, it does not affect the cooling for the spent fuel pool. In addition, as a result of site check, it was confirmed that any leakage from the facility was not found. The cause is now under investigation.

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Wonder What's Up with Unit 5 Reactor Temp and Unit 6 Spent Fuel Pool Temp?

More broken pipes?

www.tepco.co.jp...

At this moment, we don't think there is any reactor coolant leakage inside the primary containment vessel.

Unit 5】【Unit 6】・No major change

Latest Reactor Status:
www.tepco.co.jp...

www.tepco.co.jp...

- Purple Chive

edit on 5-2-2012 by Purplechive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Purplechive

I think the may play with the inflow of Water
because less Water means less Contaminated Water for the Recycling

Page 1.200 too and still a nice Climate to exchange our Ideas, Thought and deductive Comments

Kudos to all of you

top topics

<< 1196  1197  1198    1200  1201  1202 >>

join